Thread: Does anyone care about Rey Mysterio anymore?

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

Does anyone care about Rey Mysterio anymore?

I'm going to be honest, I havent liked Rey Mysterio since day one in the WWE. I loved him in ECW and WCW, but in WWE I just haven't cared about him. Over the past three years he's seen the operating room more than he's seen the wrestling ring. *exaggeration* Does anyone ever care about Rey Mysterio's return or are people looking at it much in the same way I am, the countdown to his next injury?
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

Tommy Got Hacked
    Watch the Nazi Banksters Crimes Ripple Effect Film.

People's Champion

Status
    Someone here said it and I have to agree...You can't really get interested in Rey, because when you finally do, he gets injured. He's a good challenger for the title in between big feuds. He can fit well in any position on the card, but he needs to stay healthy. He is still a fan favorite, and has potential to do a lot more.

WAKE UP

Status
    I still care

Granted I think it's time he starts to think about hanging up his boots to be honest. The guy's had a phenominal career, but his knee just seems to be getting worse and worse, he seems to have had knee issues ever since WCW, really he needs to put his health in front of his career.

I can understand not caring about him because of how injury prone he is, but I do still like hi, even though it's probably out of nostalgia of what he used to be more than anything. The thing is, Rey has always worked best with smaller guys, and he's competing in the heavyweight division. You look back at any of his matches in the cruiserweight division against his matches in the main event scene it's like he's almost completely watered down. And yeah, he's terrible as the underdog because it's so boring and forced.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia
    I never really got behind him tbh, but it will be refreshing to see him back.

AWESOM-O

Indy Talent

Status
    I never watched WCW or ECW, they had both either folded or were on there way out when I really started getting interested in wrestling, so I had never heard of Rey until he debuted in WWE. I really liked him then and during the "Smackdown! Six" days when he was having matches with Angle, Benoit, Edge, Los Guerreros regularly. I lost interest until his feud with Eddie a few years ago and haven't really cared for him since that ended. He doesn't put on the matches that he used to or had the appeal he used to have. I say when he returns he should go back to the Cruiserweight division (if they had one) but that'll never happen.

As long as the kids keep loving him the WWE will keep pushing him.
    Thriller Lizards!
    Credit: Crusade

Sweet Meat

Status
    I hate how people say he's not as good as his old days. Aside from a handful of matches, a good portion of his matches was your typical Cruiserweight car crash. EPIC SPOTS! WOOOO

Now he at least can wrestle a match against any opponent and show spot on psychology. Before he could, don't get me wrong, but more often than not it was a spot fest.

Anyway I care about Rey still. He does get injured too much. He is an underdog too much. Which is why I want him on ECW so he isn't the underdog but instead the veteran.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

The problem with Rey the past few years is that he was missing the very thing that is in his name. Since his arrival in the WWE, Rey has been loosing more and more mystery about him. Before losing the mask in '99, Mysterio almost never talked and showed very little facial expressions. That actually worked for Rey. We never really knew what his goals or purpose was in the company.

Having him talk is the equivalent of removing the mask. In either case, this very mysterious man looked/sounded like an eight year old. How is anyone expected to get behind a wrestler like that. Being maskless or talking really just makes Rey look even more weaker than he was before. Due to his size, he's already an underdog, but it's that very thing that drew people in being his fans.

The other problem these days is his moveset. His older fans are just that, older. Having such moves as the 619 gets old and isn't very realistic. The move reminds me a lot of the old Wilde Coyote and the Road Runner cartoons. It doesn't matter how many shows (Or in Mysterio's case matches), the Coyote will always mess up and the Road Runner will make a fool out of him. Rey's really evolved into a cartoon character. While this could attract more children to him, he's losing the one audience he's always had, even when he had the kid's support, the 18-34 demographic.

Rey's not the same wrestler he once was. This has nothing to do with his matches being better or worse, but it just has to do with the character of Mysterio becoming too much of a cheap parody of what he once was.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
    ^Never thought of it that way, but that's a great point. He used to have the question marks on his tights and just showed up to risk his body, and he's nothing like his former, more entertaining self.

WWE has horrible characters these days.

On Vacation

Status
    *Raises hand and jumps up and down* OOOH OOOH I have an idea about how to make the character fresh!

Let's get rid of the mask and have him wear fatigues and....ah shit it's already been done.

And btw, those "cruiserweight car crashes" were by far some of the highest rated moments on Nitro when they happened, let's not get it twisted. Spot fests can be good for getting a crowd into a match and an event as a whole, the WWE doesn't realize that, which is why the Money in the Bank matches at WM, while exciting, usually end up being the biggest time where the crowd is REALLY into the match. And by being into the match I mean sitting down, shutting up and paying attention to the story that's being told by the action instead of standing up holding up their moronic (in most cases) signs about how they love this wrestler or that one, and starting their (mostly) stupid chants.

God I miss ECW....

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KenTheKiller View Post
    I hate how people say he's not as good as his old days. Aside from a handful of matches, a good portion of his matches was your typical Cruiserweight car crash. EPIC SPOTS! WOOOO

Now he at least can wrestle a match against any opponent and show spot on psychology. Before he could, don't get me wrong, but more often than not it was a spot fest.

Anyway I care about Rey still. He does get injured too much. He is an underdog too much. Which is why I want him on ECW so he isn't the underdog but instead the veteran.
    Whats wrong with a spot fest? Your telling me in a world where Cena can punch and kick his way to a victory, you're not willing to call lucha libre a form of wrestling? Rey's best matches where when his moves had no rhyme or reason to them, they were just amazing to watch.
    [

WAKE UP

Status
    How did Rey's moves have no reason to them?

Pleasure Rinsable

Status
    Rey's gotten awfully stale as of late, someone was totally right earlier when they said that the underdog gimmick gets boring really quickly. He can still put on decent matches.. its just hard to get into them when the same story is being told in everyone one he's in.

Still don't mind watching him flip around the ring though.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia
    The worst thing about it was it was to the extreme. JBL would put him in matches against Kane, Henry & Khali if I can remember and he would then beat JBL. He lasted from number 1 in the 2006 Royal Rumble, beating guys much better then him. He hasn't versed another cruiserweight in like 2 years lol.

AWESOM-O

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    Well technically Chavo is a Crusierweight. TYhere just isn't a Crusierweight division now thanks to someone in the WWE not liking highflying moves because they're risky.
    [

Main Eventer

Status
    I really don't watch Smackdown! enough to even notice that he's gone. I'll always have a soft spot for Rey Rey, but since he's on Smackdown! I really don't care about him, or anyone else on that brand.

Thread Information