Thread: PWG Official "Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament" 5/17 & 5/18 thread

ಠ_ಠ

Status

PWG Official "Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament" 5/17 & 5/18 thread

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's DDT4 on May 17 & 18, 2008
    By Silverback, PWG Staff Writer

El Granada, CA - It has been said on occasion before, and it holds just as true today as it did then: It wouldn't be a Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (Pro Wrestling Guerrilla) event without changes. Unfortunately, those changes directly effect the Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament (DDT4), taking place on May 17 & 18, 2008 at the Burbank Armory in Burbank, California. The bad news: One of the teams that many fans were picking as the favorites to win DDT4 are out. The good news: If you checked the Weekend Independent Wrestling Injury Report in the New York Times and got worried, there's not as many changes as you might expect. The good-er news: The lineups for the weekend, with both non-tournament and DDT4 matches, have been announced.

Davey Richards was involved in a car accident that kept him out of action over the weekend, however, after speaking to Davey, he assured us that he would take the next few weeks to recuperate, and will be able to compete at DDT4. Also on the injury front, due to a long standing injury that was exacerbated over the weekend, Mark Briscoe has been forced to undergo surgery that will keep him out of action for a considerable period of time. Pro Wrestling Guerrilla wishes Mark Briscoe a quick and complete recovery, and look forward to his return. Jay Briscoe declined the opportunity to chose a new partner for the tournament, so Pro Wrestling Guerrilla management was forced to find a replacement for the Briscoe Brothers. Luckily, they didn't have to look far, when minutes after the news of Mark Briscoe's injury broke, an email arrived in the inbox of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla Commissioner of Wrestling Dino Winwood.

While the exact contents of this email remain undisclosed, a few details have been made public. First, the sender alleged that they had video of former PWG Commissioner "SoCal Val" Valerie Wyndham in compromising situations, with "close camera shots, clear audio," and "perfect lighting." If that wasn't enough, attached to the email was a photograph that seemed to confirm exactly what the sender had alleged. Due to his close relationship with Ms. Wyndham, Dino Winwood wanted desperately to help protect her reputation, and responded asking what he could do to keep this information out of the public view. No further details of the conversation have been made public, and Dino Winwood threw his computer (and monitor, for some reason. I mean, it's not like you can retrieve emails from the monitor. Now we have to buy a new one.) out of his third floor window, which luckily was still broken and covered with just a tarp. With the details of the tournament now shrouded in mystery, once can only speculate if Dino Winwood was corresponding with either Shane Matthews or Jagged, members of the team 2.0, who will be making their Pro Wrestling Guerrilla debut and replacing the Briscoe Brothers at DDT4!

While it wasn't easy to find a team to replace the Briscoes, 2.0's record in their native Canada, along with an endorsement by former Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen, Commissioner Winwood is confident that 2.0 will prove to be a worthwhile addition to DDT4. With all eight teams accounted for, the remaining contracts signed, and the ink barely dry, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla is proud to announce to scheduled lineup for DDT4, taking place on Saturday, May 17 and Sunday, May 18, 2008 at the Burbank Armory in Burbank, CA:

Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament Night 1 - Saturday, May 17, 2008

Singles Match
    Hook Bomberry vs. Nemesis

Singles Match
    Jay Briscoe vs. TJ Perkins

DDT4 First Round Match
    2.0 (Jagged & Shane Matthews) vs. Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre)

DDT4 First Round Match
    Jack Evans & Roderick Strong vs. Ronin & Scorpio Sky

DDT4 First Round Match
    Kota Ibushi & KAGETORA vs. The Dynasty (Joey Ryan & Scott Lost with Jade Chung)

DDT4 First Round Match - Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship Title Match
    El Generico & "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen (Champions) vs. Super Dragon & Davey Richards

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match
    Human Tornado (Champion) vs. Austin Aries

Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament Night 2 - Sunday, May 18, 2008

Singles Match
    "New Guy" Brandon Bonham vs. TJ Perkins

Singles Match/Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Championship Title Match if Aries wins on Night 1
    Austin Aries vs. Jay Briscoe

No Disqualification Street Fight - Non-Title Match if Tornado retains on Night 1
    Human Tornado vs. Necro Butcher

Plus the teams eliminated in the First Round of DDT4 will compete, and the Semi-Final & Final rounds of DDT4!

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla's Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament takes place Saturday, May 17, 2008 and Sunday, May 18, 2008 at the Burbank Armory. The Burbank Armory is located at 3800 W. Valhalla Dr., Burbank, CA, 91505. Front Row tickets are $30 for each night, or can be purchased in a 2 night package for only $50. General Admission tickets are $25 for each night, or can be purchased in a 2 night package for only $40. Any remaining quantity of tickets will be available for purchase at the door on the day of each event. Card and participants are subject to change.

-Epilogue-
    PWGWinwood (3:47:08AM): we can't let this get out, it will ruin us!
    WholeBrevityThing (3:47:28AM): Us?
    PWGWinwood (3:47:51AM): well, her. but still, she's such a sweet girl!
    WholeBrevityThing (3:48:16AM): Dude, it's not even a secret. It's from that stupid [redacted] site with all that tickling and stomach punching bull[redacted].
    PWGWinwood (3:48:47AM): YOU KNEW ABOUT THIS?????
    WholeBrevityThing (3:49:09AM): Yeah, worst $40 I ever spent. Seriously.
    PWGWinwood (3:49:20AM): WHAT WILL PEOPLE SAY!?????
    WholeBrevityThing (3:49:35AM): "Excalibur is an idiot. He should have joined [redacted] instead."
    PWGWinwood (3:49:47AM): NOT ABOUT YOU ABOUT HER!!!!!
    WholeBrevityThing (3:50:06AM): "I hope she got P-A-D for that."
    PWGWinwood (3:50:11AM): pad?
    WholeBrevityThing (3:50:21AM): Paid, say it out loud.
    PWGWinwood (3:50:33AM): how much did she make?
    **WholeBrevityThing Signed Off (3:50:38AM)**
    **WholeBrevityThing Signed On (3:50:41AM)**
    WholeBrevityThing (3:50:56AM): I dunno, a lot, I bet. Someone paid [redacted] like $500 for pictures of her [redacted] feet! It's ridiculous!
    PWGWinwood (3:51:32AM): wow
    WholeBrevityThing (3:51:40AM): Yeah, so whatever. It's a non-issue. I'm going back to bed.
    **WholeBrevityThing Signed Off (3:51:45AM)**

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On May 17 and 18, 2008, eight tag teams will meet at the Burbank Armory for the second ever Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament (DDT4), and much like the first tournament, whichever team wins the final match will be the undisputed Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Champions. Also like last year's tournament, the field of competitors is diverse, being comprised teams from all over the world, and they've all set their sights on the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship.

Already announced for the tournament:

Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre) - Los Luchas were the first team to qualify for the tournament by winning the Round Robin Qualifier Series earlier this year, and after their impressive victory on April 5, they hope to use that momentum to win the tournament.

El Generico & "Mr. Wrestling" Kevin Steen - By virtue of winning the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team titles at 1.21 Gigawatts on March 21, El Generico and Kevin Steen became the second team to qualify for the tournament. Unlike last year, when the titles were vacant, Generico and Steen will have to defend the titles in each of their matches throughout DDT4 (which means the Championship could change hands a total of three times throughout the course of the tournament).

Ronin & Scorpio Sky - The third team to qualify for DDT4 came as a result of Commissioner Dino Winwood's commitment to sportsmanship, who, after reviewing the footage from the final match of the Qualifier Series, allowed Ronin and Scorpio Sky one more opportunity to capture a spot in the tournament, which they took advantage of.

The Dynasty (Scott Lost & Joey Ryan) - Rounding out the first half of the announced teams are former Tag Team Champions "The Professional" Scott Lost and Joey Ryan, The Dynasty. Lost and Ryan view DDT4 as their chance to prove that they lost the titles due to Super Dragon's interference, and that they are the premiere tag team in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.

The remaining four teams all hail from varying backgrounds, but share a singular goal:

The Briscoe Bothers (Jay & Mark Briscoe) - Hoping to avenge their loss to Roderick Strong and "The Man That Gravity Forgot" PAC in the finals of last year's DDT4, Jay and Mark Briscoe, are prepared to do whatever it takes to win the titles that always seem to elude them.

Jack Evans & Roderick Strong - After his success in the first DDT4, Roderick Strong is back to reclaim the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Tag Team Championship, this time with Jack Evans. While these two have been facing each other more often than teaming together as of late, both men are united by a common goal.

Kota Ibushi & KAGETORA - Both making their Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, and in one case American, debut, Kota Ibushi and KAGETORA have won over legions of fans in their short careers, and hope that their first foray into Southern California will match the success they've experienced thus far.

Super Dragon & Davey Richards - Arguably the biggest wild card in the tournament due to injuries and personal differences, Davey Richards and Super Dragon hope DDT4 will be a return to form for one of the most successful tag teams ever in Pro Wrestling Guerrilla.

While all eight teams have now been announced for the tournament, the first round matches and non-tournament bouts are to be announced. However, we can confirm that Pro Wrestling Guerrilla World Champion Human Tornado will be on hand to defend his title!

Tickets for DDT4 go on sale this Tuesday, April 8, at 8:00AM PDT on the DDT4 mini-site (Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - DDT4) on prowrestlingguerrilla.com. Front Row tickets are $30 for each night, or can be purchased in a 2 night package for only $50. General Admission tickets are $25 for each night, or can be purchased in a 2 night package for only $40. Any remaining quantity of tickets will be available for purchase at the door on the day of each event. The Burbank Armory is located at 3800 W. Valhalla Dr., Burbank, CA, 91505. Card and participants are subject to change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

On Vacation

Status
    Steen and Generico better own Super Dragon and Davey into the ground. That and Aries/Jay Briscoe could be really good. I can't say anything else grabs my attention though.

Do you want this stickied?

ಠ_ಠ

Status
    Yes I want this stickied and SDDR are going to regain the titles they never lost

Honestly I see SDDR or Steenrico making to the finals against Strong & Evans. Allot of people loved SDDR/GenNext match they had accouple years back but then again this might be the only chance ever to see Steenrico vs GenNext. Decisions decisions. Hopefully this means Richards finally getting his ass back into PWG. I also can't wait to see the SDDR & Steenrico match BTW. Hopefully it's as good as their last one.
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States
    The competitors are all pretty epic. I love it. I possibly see Steenerico losing this, maybe in the first round.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Sand in the potato salad.

Status
    2.0 FTMFW
    for some reason I see Roddy and Jack taking it, although I'd love it be 2.0 or Los Luchas
    it's a shame the Young Bucks aren't in, I'm pretty sure they're doing their first tour of Japan with Dragon Gate

On Vacation

Status
    Suppose I'll post the results since Capone failed to. ^.^

Night 1:

1. Hook Bomberry Defeats NEMESIS, Pinfall via Michinoku Driver
    - Standard opening match. Kind of wandered at times but got a decent amount of time. Hook won after a swinging neckbreaker into a Michinoku Driver that landed NEMESIS awkwardly on the side of his head. *1/2

2. Los Luchas (Phoenix Star & Zokre) Defeats 2.0 (Jagged and Shane Matthews), Pinfall via Double Team Fireman's Carry Double Knee Gutbuster
    - Match started out well with 2.0 and Shane Matthews in particular being very entertaining and the Luchas countering by out wrestling them in the early going. Towards the last 2 minutes the match began to fall apart and get pretty sloppy. Perhaps due to miscommunications or unfamiliarity of both teams. End came when Matthews was thrown out of the ring after a double team second rope Blockbuster to a double knee backbreaker and Jagged got hit with the surfboard to reverse Angle slam into a double knee gutbuster. Yes, it was a complicated sequence. The 2 minutes prior to the end of the match dragged down the rest a bit. **1/2

3. TJ Perkins w/ Hook Bomberry Defeats Candice LaRae, Pinfall via Frog Splash
    - TJ and Hook came out to cut a promo about how TJ was screwed out of a high profile match because of a certain "prima dona" having a problem in the back and threatened to sit in the ring until he got a match that night. TJ has gone full evil emo. Candice LaRae came out and the match was official. Brawling match-up from both wrestlers and Candice got a surprising amount of offense and a couple very close near falls. End of the match came after Candice missed her top rope moonsault and TJ hit a frog splash for the pin. These two had very good chemistry since they do train together in EWF. **1/2

4. Roderick Strong & Jack Evans Defeats Scorpio Sky & Ronin, Pinfall via Skipping a Generation
    - Good match, but by far the shortest of all the first round match-ups. Surprisingly back and forth match as Jack and Scorpio seemed to work a majority of the match. Finish came on a "Skipping a Generation" onto Ronin. ***

***Intermission***

Excalibur calls out Human Tornado to address the fans. Human Tornado comes out and after the beginning of a heartfelt explanation about his injury...announces he's keeping the title and slowly walks out with no one chasing him. He escapes. On crutches. Very slowly. By the time Excalibur figured it out Tornado was gone.

5. El Blazer & KAGETORA Defeats "The Dynasty" Joey Ryan & Scott Lost, Pinfall via Springboard Hurricanrana Driver
    - Match began very slowly and very sloppily as it seemed that the teams were having communication problems figuring out what they were trying to do. El Blazer in particular was having problems working with the American wrestlers. The middle of the match finally picked up after a long "heat sequence" on El Blazer and KAGETORA got the hot tag and cleaned house. The middle and particularly the end really came together after the match essentially became a "spotfest". End came after El Blazer hit the tight rope walking drop kick on Lost into a springboard Hurricanrana that dropped lost on his head for the pin. ***

6. Austin Aries Defeats Jay Briscoe, Submission via Horns of Aries.
    - No real explanation was needed as both men are familiar with each other. The match was heated and intense. Jay Briscoe was busted open twice during the match, both from MMA knees from Aries. Well paced match that built as it went along with Aries concentrating on getting the submission victory and Jay concentrated on the Jay Driller. Easily the best match of the night by far. ****1/4

7. Kevin Steen & El Generico Defeats Super Dragon & Davey Richards, pinfall via Package Piledriver and Brainbustaaah combo
    - Match began as a full on brawl all over the gym as chairs were used liberally before the bell even rang. Absolute mayhem to start the match. The pacing slowed down once the match got started and the men actually got into the ring. There was some light comedy during the match as well and the contest became extremely competitive as both El Generico and Davey Richards were targeted. Towards the end of the match it appeared that either Super Dragon was "blown up" or was possibly injured. During a few double team moves it appeared that Dragon may have suffered a concussion on a DDT or Ole Kick because he was standing around in the ring dazed and then fell to the ground after a broken pin attempt and laid there until the end. This greatly slowed the final sequences and confused the rest of the wrestlers. Finish came after Dragon was laying on the canvas and Davey ate the Package/Brainbustaah combo. After the match Steen rubbed the title in Dragon's face as he had to be helped to the back. Dragon looked legitimately concussed and dizzy. **3/4

***Post Match***
    Excalibur calls out Steen-erico for not being present on the last PWG show and questions their loyalty and threatens to strip them of the tag titles and award it to a more deserving team. After Steen explains that he's been away taking care of his family and new baby boy Excalibur calls calls Kevin Steen's baby boy (who is in attendance with his wife) ugly. This results in Steen affirming their loyalty to PWG, guarantee that no one deserves the title as much as they do, as well as giving Excalibur 3 straight Package Piledrivers as Steen brings in his son to pin Excalibur for the 3 count.
    Night 2:

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla: Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament Night 2 - Sunday, May 18, 2008, Bell Time: 5:35
    Approx. Attn: 325 – 375

***Pre-Show***

Excalibur came out to explain the events of night one and then upon seeing Kevin Steen race across the back of the gym demand a future rematch with Owen Steen. Ronin was announced as suffering a leg injury and not competing tonight and Super Dragon was announced as having his "7,000th" concussion and also would not be competing.

1. DDT4 Semi-Final Match
    Roderick Strong / Jack Evans Defeats Los Luchas (Phoenix Star / Zokre), Pinfall via Skipping a Generation
    - Match started off well and was fast paced, but soon slowed as each team were trying to hit their spots and finish the match early on. The match sort of fell apart towards the end as both teams seemed a bit confused as to each other's timing and the finish sort of came out of no where when Strong/Evans hit the "Skipping a Generation", aka Double stomp moonsault and Canadian Rack Backbreaker combo on the Luchas. The crowd seemed to be fairly silent for the match as the heat was clearly becoming a bit of a problem. Strong/Evans looked clean and Luchas got in some decent offense. **1/2

2. Davey Richards Defeats Austin Aries, Submission via Sharpshooter
    - Intense match-up from the get go as these two were working a fairly stiff match filled mostly with kicks to the face and chest. Davey came out trying to dominate Aries as the much smaller man was able to use his quickness to out-wrestler Richards. The story of the match was each man trying to get their opponent into their finishing moves several times with each man countering each attempt. The end came when Aries had the Horns of Aries on Davey but he countered out and got Aries into a Sharpshooter for the submission win. Davey then told the fans that after his 3 month tour of Japan he'd be working his way back towards the PWG World Title. ***1/4

3. DDT4 Semi-Final Match
    Kevin Steen / El Generico Defeats KAGETORA / El Blazer, Pinfall via Super Clothesline/Chokeslam (??)
    - If you expected Steen-erico to dominate with their strength and the DDT team to counter with quickness then you were right. It was a very fun little match-up that saw the Japanese guys play underdog the entire match with Steen literally tossing the smaller El Blazer around like a doll. KAGEblazer seemed better equipped for this match than night 1 and it was a fun little spotfest that featured a lot of fast paced wrestling. KAGEblazer actually scored a couple very close pinfalls in the match but the end came when El Blazer was leapfrogged up by El Generico into what looked like it was supposed to be a Super Chokeslam with Kevin Steen coming off the top but looked more like a clothesline or a Ron Simmons spinebuster that planted El Blazer off the mat with a huge bounce. ***

***Promo***
    - Commissioner Dino Winwood came out and called out Human Tornado to the ring and asked him twice to "please give back the World Title". Tornado agreed only on the stipulation that Candice LaRae came out to get it. She did and reluctantly entered the ring and shook his hand. Tornado then grabbed her by the back of the head and Dino came to her rescue which brought out Jay Briscoe who proceeded to spear Dino and lay a beating down. Until Necro Butcher came out for the save and led to…

4. Necro Butcher Defeats Jay Briscoe, Pinfall via Tiger Driver on stack of chairs.
    - It was a brawl. There were more chaired used during the match by the wrestlers than by the fans as everyone was standing around trying to run for cover every once in a while as they brawled around the gym. Once the match got back into the ring Jay Briscoe was dominating Necro thanks to Tornado's crutch shot to Necro's turned back. It was a fun little mindless brawl, but nothing unlike we've seen from Necro before. At once point Tornado broke up a pinfall attempt by Necro by pasting Referee Rick Knox with a crutch and the match was thrown out. Then Necro took out both Tornado and Jay with a crutch and seemingly the match was restarted again and Necro pinned Jay with a Tiger Driver on a stack of chairs. Umm…yeah. **

***Intermission***

5. "The Dynasty" Joey Ryan & Scott Lost / Hook Bomberry / TJ Perkins Defeats 2.0 (Jagged / Shane Matthews) / Scorpio Sky / Candice LaRae, Pinfall via Folding Powerbomb
    - Ronin actually came out to compete along side Scorpio Sky, but a chair shot to the leg by Hook Bomberry took him out of the match. Candice LaRae then came from the back to compete and stood on the ring apron with the rest of the "faces". Where…Jagged proceeded to smell her hair while she wasn't looking. He assured his teammates that she smelled "amazing". Kudos. Your usual fun 8-man match mixed with comedy and spots. The pacing of the match picked up towards the middle as it transformed from slow "heat sequence" with a beat down Scorpio Sky into a dive-fest into the crowd. The last 3 or 4 minutes of the match was an all out sprint and "finisher gauntlet" as each wrestler and team hit their respective moves and Joey Ryan broke out the first ever "Boob Plex" on Candice LaRae. Picture a German Suplex with a slight variation as to the Suplexer's hand position. Brutal. The finish came when Joey Ryan hit a vicious spear on Candice and hit a Folding Powerbomb into a pinning combination on her for the win. **1/2 (for fun's sake)

6. DDT4 Finals
    Roderick Strong / Jack Evans Defeats Kevin Steen / El Generico, Pinfall via "Skipping a Generation" (Championship Edition)
    - Great match and great main event as these were the two most well established teams in the tournament and had undoubtedly put on the strongest performances leading up to the finals. Fast paced and hard hitting as Generico hit all manner of Ole Kick to everyone in every position and location inside the ring. Roddy threw Jack all over the ring at his opponents, and Kevin Steen punished his opponents using his massive girth advantage while even using the double team backpack senton on Jack at one point. Several near falls and the crowd seemed fairly split towards the end of the match. The only "psychology" here seemed to be outlast your opponent. The finish came when Strong hit the Gibson Driver on Steen and stopped Generico's top rope Brainbustaaah attempt on Jack, which led to the "Skipping a Generation" on Steen with Jack hitting a Phoenix splash instead of a moonsault. Both men covered a member of the opposition and it was academic. This was the 2nd straight DDT4 tourney win for Strong and a huge surprise as everyone figured Jack would be gone for Japan immediately since RoH announced it earlier in the week. Great match that the fans finally woke up for. ****
    - Credit to 411

Dunno how reliable those ratings are, obviously, but the shows don't appeal to me at all apart from one match over both shows - Evans/Strong vs. Steen/Generico. I doubt I'll be making any effort to watch anything else from it.

Sand in the potato salad.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    2.0 FTMFW
    for some reason I see Roddy and Jack taking it, although I'd love it be 2.0 or Los Luchas
    it's a shame the Young Bucks aren't in, I'm pretty sure they're doing their first tour of Japan with Dragon Gate
    totally called it.ftw

ಠ_ಠ

Status
    Fuck you and thank you for posting the results, Paulz0. A big w00t on Davey finally bringing his ass back home and Evans finally getting him a title.

Thread Information