Thread: ROH's HYOOGE Announcement - Possible TV Deal?

On Vacation

Status

ROH's HYOOGE Announcement - Possible TV Deal?

ROH's "Huge Announcement"
    So I received a press release from Ring of Honor booker Gabe Sapolsky this morning promising a "huge announcement" this Sunday on the company's official web site.

Unlike several wrestling promotions over the years, ROH isn't known for for failing to deliver on promises, so I would guess - and this is mostly speculation - that the announcement will involve the TV deal ROH has been working toward for several years now. I talked to ROH owner Cary Silkin a few weeks back, and he seemed optimistic that a deal would be reached sometime soon.

If that is the announcement, that's a tremendous bit of good news not only for ROH, but for wrestling fans. I know there are loads of wrestling fans that have long heard all the buzz about Ring of Honor, but have never been able to bring themselves to spend money to buy a DVD or a pay per view of a product they have never seen before. I was one of them before buying my first DVD in 2006, and I was instantly hooked.

ROH is to be commended for surviving - and even growing - with such an unorthodox business model, but I think it became rather clear over the last year that a television deal was an absolute must if the promotion wanted to continue its expansion.

Of course, the devil is in the details. A TV deal could mean a Thursday night slot on NBC right after The Office (I somehow doubt it) or it could mean a 2 a.m. Sunday night slot on some obscure cable channel that reaches only a small percentage of homes. Hopefully, it's somewhere in between, and the company gets good support from whatever channel picks them up. Ideally, that would include improving ROH's substandard production quality to give the product a more major league look.

Then again, I could be completely wrong, and the "huge announcement" could be something far less monumental. Maybe Goldberg is turning heel again.

Source: http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/sp...ent/wrestling/
    I dunno how to feel about the idea of a possible TV deal. I'm really not sure if it would even work. I still think it's more likely that the announcement will have something to do with the Hammerstein show.

Heel Champion

Status
    If it does get a TV deal then the WWE will have a new and better competitor to deal with. But does this mean they will have to bring in some new more established talent?

WAKE UP

Status
    It wont imapct the way its shown over here so meh.

Heel Champion

Status
    Hopefully it will get better coverage than World Of Sport .

On Vacation

Status
    True, but it could potentially fuck up the company. I don't want ROH to make the same mistakes as ECW.

Anyway, if it was true, calling it competition to the WWE is pretty lul worthy. It wouldn't be able to compete at all.

Heel Champion

Status
    It would put on a better show than TNA and I suppose they really need to branch out and get established talent because if they don't they will fail anyway.

On Vacation

Status
    Putting on a better show than TNA doesn't mean they'll get enough exposure and, ultimately, be able to compete. They couldn't even compete with TNA, never mind the WWE. As for the talent, ever heard of building your own stars? That's one of TNA's biggest mistakes, they focus more on pushing guys that have been established elsewhere rather than making their own stars.

WAKE UP

Status
    To be fair, in the UK ROH already has more TV time than TNA, which seems to have disappeared completely.

On Vacation

Status
    To be fair, the UK means fuck all when it'll be an American TV deal.

WAKE UP

Status
    Hence my "meh" comment earlier.

Heel Champion

Status
    Yes they should push most of there 'own' stars but they need a couple of more established faces.

On Vacation

Status
    k, thanks for bringing up an irrelevant point about the UK then.

Building up your own guys can be just as, if not more, effective when done right. There's no need for them to bring in established guys and they wouldn't even have the budget for it.

ಠ_ಠ

Status
    Well I think it is to soon but I don't think Gabe is bad in the bank like Paul is. They def cannot compete with TNA nor WWE but I think they should try to make a deal with WWE. Maybe get a star or something to appear to try to increase their ratings and whatnot.....I think it would help allot. I may miss the former ROH wrestlers but having the biggest dog back you up is a very smart idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Basically, Capone, you're my drunk friend who I love, but I need to deal with you pissing all over in my car and starting fights with big dudes with me getting punched in the face as well

Main Eventer

Status
    They'll prob got a slot with some crap channel like Lifetime.

In all seriousness, I think a TV deal would bring a lot of interest back in ROH, especially for me. It's hard to really get into a product just from DVD's and shit.

People's Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    They'll prob got a slot with some crap channel like Lifetime.

In all seriousness, I think a TV deal would bring a lot of interest back in ROH, especially for me. It's hard to really get into a product just from DVD's and shit.
    Yeah, what he said. And like Capone said, they won't be able to compete with TNA or WWE, for a while.

If I Ruled The World...

...Imagine That

Sweet Meat

Status
    The thing is, as long as they don't try to be competition, it's fine. They aren't competition, but they haven't tried to be. They aren't the fed that says "We're better than WWE" they're the fed that says "Watch us and we'll show you how good we are". They don't need to mention the other companies to get over.

I'm very excited if it is that, though I doubt it.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Mid-Card Champion

Status
    I'm guessing a TV deal might just be an extended video wire.

Something to catch fans up on, show brief tidbits of matches have some interviews to get characters over. Most likely won't be something like TNA's old 1 hour slot, ROH will continue with the DVD sales and hopefully just make the tv slot an extended newswire.

Sand in the potato salad.

Status
    wow..the Spring Of Honor sale...oh boy...-_-. fuggin ROH..
    in other news, Lightning Mike Quackenbush defeated El Pantera in Chikara this past friday, dvd should be on Smart Mark Video within a week or two, I suggest checking that out

Thread Information