Thread: My Thoughts On: The Reason TNA Will Never Be Able To Compete With The WWE.... Unless

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada

My Thoughts On: The Reason TNA Will Never Be Able To Compete With The WWE.... Unless

It's very simply why TNA has been unable to compete with the WWE so far. It does have some to do with the booking of shows, but overall I think it is from the creative aspect. Let me explain.

TNA is a reactionary company. Anything the WWE does, TNA does only under a new gimmick name. There are your generic things like taking a steel cage, adding two more sides and calling it "Six Sides of Steel." Then you can take that same cage, put a roof on it with hanging weapons and call it "Lethal Lockdown" instead of "Hell In A Cell." Of course there is also my favorite Money In The Bank Ripoff, which they call "Feist or Fired." Now I will give TNA some credit on this match, they added shots to all their title and one person gets a happy gtfo paper. However, the overall idea is still the same as MITB. You have your briefcases, you have a ring filled with wrestlers, and you have the cases hanging from a certain height. The people who are able to get a case with a title shot can cash it in anytime within the next year.

Hell I can make the argument that TNA is so much like the WWE, that they destroyed their X division and tag division much like WWE destroyed their Crusierweight division and tag division.

Jeff Jarrett said that TNA tries to lure Casual wrestling fans in with former WWE wrestlers. By the time the fans realize its not the WWE, its too late.

Well congrats Jeff J A double R, E, double T. I have been sucked into TNA, their is only one problem, I haven't realized that TNA isn't WWE's fourth brand.
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

Sweet Meat

Status
    Lol you bring up a lot of good points. My parents and other family of mine believe Vince owns TNA because of the similarities. They feel TNA is no more of an alternative to WWE as ECW is to Raw/SD.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Chikara Trainee

Status
    Lethal Lockdown is nothing like the Hell in a Cell match except that it has a roof covering the cage. Hell in a Cell is usally everyman for himself, while Lethal Lockdown is team-based. If anything, the Lethal Lockdown match is a ripoff of the Wargames match. And with most of the things you named there like the Money in the Bank, they have no choice but to make a spin-off because it's owned by the WWE. If they had a ladder match with one briefcase and the winner being able to cashing it in whenever they what, then TNA would get sued.

It's laughable that you guys say TNA has nothing to offer that the WWE doesn't. Does the WWE have the Ultimate X match, Lethal Lockdown, a whole PPV devoted to cage matches, the King of the Mountain match, the World X Cup etc.

WAKE UP

Status
    ohnoes match stipulations

I forgot wrestling was about them

Sweet Meat

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charisma View Post
    Lethal Lockdown is nothing like the Hell in a Cell match except that it has a roof covering the cage. Hell in a Cell is usally everyman for himself, while Lethal Lockdown is team-based. If anything, the Lethal Lockdown match is a ripoff of the Wargames match. And with most of the things you named there like the Money in the Bank, they have no choice but to make a spin-off because it's owned by the WWE. If they had a ladder match with one briefcase and the winner being able to cashing it in whenever they what, then TNA would get sued.

It's laughable that you guys say TNA has nothing to offer that the WWE doesn't. Does the WWE have the Ultimate X match, Lethal Lockdown, a whole PPV devoted to cage matches, the King of the Mountain match, the World X Cup etc.
    Aside from TNA marks... do fans really care about KOTM? LL? No. A PPV devoted to cage matches I personally like though when you have Kip James vs. BG James as one of the matches I can't help but lawl. And the Ultimate X is whored as much as the HIAC is, if not worse.

X-Cup I like the idea of it.

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Heel Champion

Status
    If anything, Lethal Lockdown is more a rip off of the War Games dating back to the WCW era, it's nothing like a Hell in a Cell, the cage doesn't go beyond the ring, there's weapons hanging from the ceiling, and like Kid Charisma stated, it's a team based match.

And Ken, you can lol at BG James vs. Kip James, but I could say the same with any match Khali is involved in, every companies has its downfalls and comparing the negatives isn't going to solve much.

I understand where you come from when you say TNA is a WWE lite, it's soaked up with storylines, has over the top gimmicks, but like Jarrett said, TNA is going for a casual audience, and that just happens to be the same market as WWE caters to, so obviously many concepts are going to be similar. But to say TNA doesn't offer any difference is kind of silly, their really innovative compared to the WWE brand in many ways.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    nl=Netherlands
    WWE copied stuff from TNA too like the Joe and Angle vs Team 3D match they copied it by having Cena and Candice Michelle vs Umaga and the tag champs on RAW at that time whoever they are and that match was dumb as hell and made no sense. TNA is putting more effort in X-Division, although it's alot less than before I agree, ECW has the ECW title for that stuff now it seems, although it's still different from any kind of X-Division.
    The Tag Division is very much alive at TNA unlike at WWE. TNA is still experimenting with things like the Women Division and gimmick matches and stuff. Kip and BG can probably bring out the best of eachother and their fued is serious. I even made a comment on their raw cut segment 4 on youtube which people have been thumbing down while they know it is true. The Booker T and Roode storyline is taking too long imo and is getting almost boring like AJ Styles vs Rhino last year but it should help Roode in the end, it could be a good thing. It helped Styles too I guess. Many things in TNA can be better or done in another way which would bring a more satisfying picture or feeling to it but in the end they are experimenting and trying. Russo can go I don't mind but then who says it would be better? ;\ Right now there are things in TNA which I like and which I don't like and this has basically been the same for me since I started watching TNA so I can't say if it's gone better or worse, TNA is TNA and WWE is WWE and I accept this as it is and I will laugh at TNA's booking although the wrestling is exciting to watch.

(Except for the women's title, I don't like watching Kong vs ODB that is kind of not attractive =\)

Sweet Meat

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by -3:16- View Post
    If anything, Lethal Lockdown is more a rip off of the War Games dating back to the WCW era, it's nothing like a Hell in a Cell, the cage doesn't go beyond the ring, there's weapons hanging from the ceiling, and like Kid Charisma stated, it's a team based match.

And Ken, you can lol at BG James vs. Kip James, but I could say the same with any match Khali is involved in, every companies has its downfalls and comparing the negatives isn't going to solve much.

I understand where you come from when you say TNA is a WWE lite, it's soaked up with storylines, has over the top gimmicks, but like Jarrett said, TNA is going for a casual audience, and that just happens to be the same market as WWE caters to, so obviously many concepts are going to be similar. But to say TNA doesn't offer any difference is kind of silly, their really innovative compared to the WWE brand in many ways.
    If we see SNitsky vs. The Great Khali in a steel cage match, I will eat my words, buy a video camera, call TNA the greatest company ever, then post it on youtube.

Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KenTheKiller View Post
    If we see SNitsky vs. The Great Khali in a steel cage match, I will eat my words, buy a video camera, call TNA the greatest company ever, then post it on youtube.
    But there's no real backstory to that. The fact that these two were once one of the most over tag team during their time period, them going against each other makes this a money making feud, the Rough Cut videos have really added to this as well, the fans aren't expecting a good match as such, but rather, a good story/outcome. The same can't be said about Khali/Snitsky as they have little history with each other for anyone to care about their match.

Sweet Meat

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by -3:16- View Post
    But there's no real backstory to that. The fact that these two were once one of the most over tag team during their time period, them going against each other makes this a money making feud, the Rough Cut videos have really added to this as well, the fans aren't expecting a good match as such, but rather, a good story/outcome. The same can't be said about Khali/Snitsky as they have little history with each other for anyone to care about their match.
    You know who else were a huge money making tag team? The Fantastics. But if you through them in a match and had them feuding and wrestling in a steel cage in their 60s (I think) is it worth watching? No. Just because they used to be an over team doesn't mean that a decade later they can put on an interesting confrontation. Granted, I didn't watch TNA this week but the first Rough Cut didn't interest me at all.

Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Butoden View Post
    WWE copied stuff from TNA too like the Joe and Angle vs Team 3D match they copied it by having Cena and Candice Michelle vs Umaga and the tag champs on RAW at that time whoever they are and that match was dumb as hell and made no sense. TNA is putting more effort in X-Division, although it's alot less than before I agree, ECW has the ECW title for that stuff now it seems, although it's still different from any kind of X-Division.
    The Tag Division is very much alive at TNA unlike at WWE. TNA is still experimenting with things like the Women Division and gimmick matches and stuff. Kip and BG can probably bring out the best of eachother and their fued is serious. I even made a comment on their raw cut segment 4 on youtube which people have been thumbing down while they know it is true. The Booker T and Roode storyline is taking too long imo and is getting almost boring like AJ Styles vs Rhino last year but it should help Roode in the end, it could be a good thing. It helped Styles too I guess. Many things in TNA can be better or done in another way which would bring a more satisfying picture or feeling to it but in the end they are experimenting and trying. Russo can go I don't mind but then who says it would be better? ;\ Right now there are things in TNA which I like and which I don't like and this has basically been the same for me since I started watching TNA so I can't say if it's gone better or worse, TNA is TNA and WWE is WWE and I accept this as it is and I will laugh at TNA's booking although the wrestling is exciting to watch.

(Except for the women's title, I don't like watching Kong vs ODB that is kind of not attractive =\)
    Not at all. WWE didnt copy TNA with the champions tag match because none of those title were on the line. Whereas the TNA match was there to give further the fued between the two partners, Angle and Joe, the wwe match was there to push the fued between Cena and whoever he was fueding with (i forgot) and to push the Umaga/Hardy fued. Completely different.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    nl=Netherlands
    Nah it was pretty obvious that after TNA made a big fuzz about the match with all the champs in one match, WWE came with a match with all the champs in one match that's what I was saying.

There's a lot of mistaking in this thread.

Hell in A Cell = Not Original. WCW has had cage matches were you could go outside of the ring and even had a top.

Joe and Angle vs Team 3D = Not Original. In Your House 3 (1995) had Shawn Michaels (IC Champion) and Diesel (World Champion) against Davey Boy Smith (Taking the place of Owen) and Yokozuna (Tag Team Champions) where the winners would have all of the gold. In other non title matches, Ric Flair (World Champion) teamed with Barry Windham (US Champion) vs Midnight Express (Tag Champions) at Clash of the Champions in Dec 1988.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charisma View Post

Who is saying that. no where have I stated that TNA has nothing to offer. I stated that TNA will never be as big or bigger than the WWE because they are too much like the WWE. If you want to suck in casual fans, the former wrestlers should be the same. They don't need to tweak match concepts which are similar to the WWE, and the sure as hell dont need to be having over the top storylines like the WWE. Look at the Abyss/ Mesias storyline, it is an exact basic outline copy of the Kane/Taker feud, except TNA failed worse than the WWE at the storyline and cut it short.

If TNA hopes to pass the WWE, they should do it through their matches. Don't tweak a gimmick match the is similar to the WWE and build it up as something great. Thats like taking shit and trying to sell it to me as if its fudge.
    [

Quote Originally Posted by neXus View Post
    If TNA hopes to pass the WWE, they should do it through their matches. Don't tweak a gimmick match the is similar to the WWE and build it up as something great. Thats like taking shit and trying to sell it to me as if its fudge.
    There's almost literally nothing TNA can do as far as originality. The WWE did not create the steel cage, casket, ladder, ambulance, battle royal, dog collar, hardcore and many other matches.

Almost everything that the WWE does is a tweak on something that another company did years before. Why shouldn't TNA be able to do the same? Ultimate X is a fun tweak on a ladder match for example.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    There's almost literally nothing TNA can do as far as originality. The WWE did not create the steel cage, casket, ladder, ambulance, battle royal, dog collar, hardcore and many other matches.

Almost everything that the WWE does is a tweak on something that another company did years before. Why shouldn't TNA be able to do the same? Ultimate X is a fun tweak on a ladder match for example.
    Ultimate X is a tweak that comes off as being original, that is all I'm saying be somewhat original. I gave TNA credit for their Feist or Fired match because it took an exciting idea like a title shot whenever, and made it for every title. Not to mention someone got fired.

Right now TNA is trying to sell something like Lethal Lockdown as the hottest thing since sliced bread. I even made a point that everything in TNA is so similar to the WWE that they even killed off their two divisions that were similar to WWE's two virtually dead divisions.

Besides why does it have to be about gimmick matches. TNA had something that I cant see anywhere else on cable television and that was the X division. If TNA wants to be the alternative to WWE and lure fans away from the WWE, then they should try doing something that fans dont see in the WWE.
    [

WAKE UP

Status
    The fact that they can only seperate themselves through gimmick matches is lawlable.

Superhero Sellout

Status
      Country                    au=Australia
    I am really liking TNA at the moment for some reason. I'm not trying to see that they are better than WWE at all, but I would rather see LAX vs MCMG vs R&RI over Mark Henry and John Cena in an arm wrestling match.

Call me immature, but I like some of the gimmicks. Besides Super Eric, Curry Man, Shark Boy, Rellik and others to me are enjoyable. And then you have quality guys like AJ & Angle putting on some great matches. Lethal Lockdown is looking to be awesome with Team Cage vs Team Tomko & Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle should be the highlights of the show.

AWESOM-O

Thread Information