Thread: Triple R: iMPACT 3/27/08 Review

Established Veteran

Status

Triple R: iMPACT 3/27/08 Review

The Triple R – iMPACT 3/27/08 Review

Well, since iMPACT decided to go live with their broadcast, I decided to go live with my review column! I’m writing about iMPACT as I see it. And it’s just about to get started.

Opening Segment
    Excellent way to start iMPACT with one of the hotter feuds in TNA. I’m just loving the dynamics of this feud and it’s really effective how a face veteran is working with an up and coming heel. Great stuff here and I loved the interactive announcement.

AJ Styles/Tomko Backstage
    Didn’t catch much of this unfortunately. Got an invite to a party from a hottie. =) But it should be interesting how TNA handles the Kurt Angle sparring session later. Haha, the AJ amateur wrestling get up is priceless but I’m not a fan of this idea at all. Let’s see how it plays out.

Match 1:Alex Shelley VS. Johnny Devine
    You want someone to open up your live iMPACT episode? Alex Shelley is the guy to do it. Great choice by TNA bookers here and as much as I’m not a fan of Devine’s mannerisms and such, he’s not too shabby in the ring. Excellent match here with good exchanges and the crowd really got into it. It was good to see Devine win because I want to see MCMG focus on the tag division and climb to the top of the mountain there. The energy of this show so far is fuckin amazing. It definitely already has a different feel to it.

Lethal/So Cal Val
    These segments are hilarious. I haven’t really been able to comment too much on these segments the past few weeks, but I definitely enjoy them. It’s an innocent but great way to build tension between these two friends. It’ll be great to see a feud between Dutt and Lethal instead of a match just thrown together last minute.

Booker Backstage Segment
    Great intensity here from Booker. This feud just keeps getting better and better. Excellent job on Booker’s part and it’s taking this feud to another level.

Team 3D Backstage Segment
    Good promo by Brother Ray. I like how he integrates history into his promos and feuds because it really brings the interaction to a whole new level. I’m kinda upset about TNA pretty much spoiling Sting’s return but the way they’re building it up throughout the show so far is getting my excited for sure.

Match 2: LAX VS. Team Pump
    Another great match to book for a live episode. LAX is a great energetic tag team with awesome tandem moves. Salinas and Rhaka Khan were non-factors in this match for the most part, but I suppose it was better that way. And it was good to see Petey and Steiner get more air time. Scott can still suplex like a mad man and he’s great in the ring. But the performance of that match goes to Hernandez with Homicide in a close second. Hernandez hits his moves so crisply, it’s just so entertaining to watch the guy. Spectacular, powerful, technical work. Great to see LAX win this match and the “initiation” continues.

Rough Kut
    Great segments here. The mixing of shoot and work by TNA equates for a compelling feud. I didn’t think I could get into this feud between BG and Kip but these Rough Kut segments are somewhat doin the trick. It’s also a nice way for these guys to get some time off.

Lockdown Promo & Consequences Creed
    Haha, technical difficulties were inevitable. Just figured I’d make a note of no audio during these segments. Well, I had my fingers crossed. I am definitely looking forward to see how TNA uses Consequences though.

Karen Angle Backstage Interview
    Oh yeah, “can you confirm that for me?” Since it’s a big fuckin mystery right? Haha, that interview was a joke and another case of Karen Angle overacting. We know it’s AJ, damn it. I hated this segment except for the only fact that it put over Kurt’s attitude towards facing Joe. It enhances the match, so the segment isn’t a complete waste. Karen just needs to stop overacting, but at least she’s somewhat gotten better.

Samoa Joe Training Segment & Interview
    Having a legitimate MMA fighter train with Joe like that adds to the realism of professional wrestling. This is where I believe that TNA separates itself from its competitors. Its willing to compromise and add different elements to make a real eclectic product. The satellite feed is reminiscent of real MMA interview and it’s definitely a good way to build Angle VS. Joe.

Kurt Angle’s Sparring Session
    I wasn’t a fan of this idea but it was handled pretty well. It was cool to see Tomko busted open for real and it puts over Angle as a legitimate fighter. The sparring session was done really well and it looked like in the second Tomko/Angle round that things started getting real. Not to mention Frank Trigg was commenting! It’s little elements like these that makes me happy to be a professional wrestling fan and what keeps TNA fresh.

Sting’s Return
    It was nice how Angle/Joe quickly transitioned into the Lethal Lockdown match. Angle got out of the way and as expected Sting returned. Yeah, it was cool to see him come back and the crowd pretty much jizzed over seeing Sting, but I wasn’t all too excited. They could have done it a little better. I would have booked it completely different.

I would have had the lights go out and come back on and nobody’s there. Team Tomko laughs at each other cause they actually thought that Sting was gonna show up. Then out of nowhere, Sting comes down from the rafters on the cord right into the middle of the ring with his bat as everyone freezes in the ring. Then Sting goes to town on Team Tomko with the bat. Not seeing Sting beat any up immediately upon returning…sucked. It was a decent job of build-up, but could have been done A LOT better.

Match 3: Booker T VS. Robert Roode
    Man, Robert Roode really knows how to draw heat nowadays. Although he’s a bit bland on the mic, he has that old school feel about him and I’m feelin it. Kinda disappointed that it’s a First Blood Match though. I was hoping it would have been Last Man Standing. I tried to vote but I couldn’t. Apparently TNA got overloaded with people voting. Although I’m kinda upset that they’re giving this away on free TV, it makes sense since the Lockdown match is technically a tag match and this is supposed to be TNA’s biggest episode of all-time. A decent match but it was blatantly obvious when Roode did his blade job and it sucked. Roode should have gone over in this one. It would have added to the feud. Disappointing overall, but at least the fans were all over it.

Kong Backstage Segment
    Wow, the accent REALLY sucks. Then again, I’m sensitive to accents considering I’m Indian. I know an accent when I hear one and that was weak. Anyway, should be interesting to see who challenges the TNA Knockout “Shampion”.

Match 4: Awesome Kong VS. ODB
    The Knockouts deliver pretty much every week. It was a good match between these two with a couple of nice near falls. Not a 5-star or even 4-star match by any means, but it was certainly solid. Kong retaining was not a big surprised, since it was expected, but if TNA really wanted this show to go over well, they should have put the strap on ODB. It definitely would have gotten a great reaction from the crowd.

Cage Backstage Segment
    Christian Cage blows my fucking mind! He is an ace in this industry. That promo was live and he delivered on POINT. He’s probably the best mic worker in TNA, hands down.

Main Event: Team Cage VS. Team Tomko
    An interesting move on TNA’s part to put this on free TV, but understandable since it’s the big live show. Good main event to have because Lethal Lockdown is probably the best booked storyline heading into Lockdown. It’s pretty sweet to see Kevin Nash and Sting on the same team in the ring again. Reminds me of my favorite faction of all time: the Wolfpack! Overall, a great match and I love how classic tag matches always end with continual big spots. It was great to see and it definitely gets me a lot more excited for the Lethal Lockdown. And James Storm attacking Sting? Eh, a questionable move, but hell if James Storm wanted a push, he definitely got it there. I just hope TNA isn’t trying to do too much storyline-wise.

Overall, a solid showing for their first two-hour live episode. Not the greatest iMPACT I’ve ever seen, but not the worst either. It was definitely above par but TNA could have definitely delivered bigger with this opportunity. Either way storylines were on point, the matches were good, and the energy and excitement was there as well. It’s a nice job by TNA and I’m sure they saw some areas where they could improve upon for next time. I definitely would like to see TNA go live more often, because the show had a different and special feel to it and I think it could only get better.

Tip of the Hat: Joe VS. Angle Build
    The realism that’s being brought into the feud is fan-fucking-tastic. The showed Joe training with and submitting an actual, not to mention successful, MMA fighter. Not only that, you bring in an MMA champion in Frank Trigg who basically puts over Kurt Angle as being better than himself! Little nuances like these that are making this feud legendary. Not to mention it’s going to be for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. And what’s best about all of this, it’s something fresh. These guys have faced four times before and this re-kindled rivalry feels like something brand new.

Wag of the Finger: The Handling of Sting’s Return
    TNA really needs to work on booking their “surprise” factor much better. I can understand spoiling Sting’s return to pretty much garner a good rating, but c’mon, his actual return was so predictable. Lights out in the arena during a brawl and he pops up. Plus, he doesn’t even beat anyone down! He’s one of the best in the business when choreographing a beat down of multiple people. This has the opportunity to be an “Oh Shit” moment, when it just turned out to be the same as his 13.7 other returns.

Random Thoughts
    -I liked the voting aspect of the show throughout the night.
    -Awesome to see Sting, but I’m still upset over the way the return was handled.
    -The crowd was fuckin hot all night.
    -Salinas got some tig ol’ bitties. I wanna stick my face in ‘em.
    -She looks really funny when she dances though. She’s more rhythmical as a tarot-card reading, astrologer, vampire chick, or whatever she was dancing between ropes and shit.
    -Lethal Lockdown STILL > Angle/Joe. But it’s a lot closer than before.
    -Aw, I liked Cage’s old countdown better than the new one.
    -Somebody had new music tonight, I forget who…but it sounded good.
    -Frank Trigg would make a great stunt double for Kurt Angle, if ever needed.
    -I actually marked for Rhino’s GORE in the main event.

People's Champion

Status
    Karen Angle Backstage Interview
    Oh yeah, “can you confirm that for me?” Since it’s a big fuckin mystery right? Haha, that interview was a joke and another case of Karen Angle overacting. We know it’s AJ, damn it. I hated this segment except for the only fact that it put over Kurt’s attitude towards facing Joe. It enhances the match, so the segment isn’t a complete waste. Karen just needs to stop overacting, but at least she’s somewhat gotten better.
    I agree so much. I thought it was stupid, seeing as how the show KAren and AJ ahve some sort of feelings towrad each other, and he cares for her, but yet they can't figure out who she is seeing.

Samoa Joe Training Segment & Interview
    Having a legitimate MMA fighter train with Joe like that adds to the realism of professional wrestling. This is where I believe that TNA separates itself from its competitors. Its willing to compromise and add different elements to make a real eclectic product. The satellite feed is reminiscent of real MMA interview and it’s definitely a good way to build Angle VS. Joe.

Kurt Angle’s Sparring Session
    I wasn’t a fan of this idea but it was handled pretty well. It was cool to see Tomko busted open for real and it puts over Angle as a legitimate fighter. The sparring session was done really well and it looked like in the second Tomko/Angle round that things started getting real. Not to mention Frank Trigg was commenting! It’s little elements like these that makes me happy to be a professional wrestling fan and what keeps TNA fresh.
    [/QUOTE]

YEah, another great point. The MMA thing is gonna add alot to the match, because it shows that both men want to just hurt each other. Angle bustin Tomko up, moment of the night for me.

Sting’s Return
    It was nice how Angle/Joe quickly transitioned into the Lethal Lockdown match. Angle got out of the way and as expected Sting returned. Yeah, it was cool to see him come back and the crowd pretty much jizzed over seeing Sting, but I wasn’t all too excited. They could have done it a little better. I would have booked it completely different.

I would have had the lights go out and come back on and nobody’s there. Team Tomko laughs at each other cause they actually thought that Sting was gonna show up. Then out of nowhere, Sting comes down from the rafters on the cord right into the middle of the ring with his bat as everyone freezes in the ring. Then Sting goes to town on Team Tomko with the bat. Not seeing Sting beat any up immediately upon returning…sucked. It was a decent job of build-up, but could have been done A LOT better.
    Yeah, I liked teh return, but the surprise factor wasn't too good. TNA should have had him beat someone up, but they wanted to set up for later.

Cage Backstage Segment
    Christian Cage blows my fucking mind! He is an ace in this industry. That promo was live and he delivered on POINT. He’s probably the best mic worker in the industry, hands down.
    Fixed.

Dman's Random Thoughts

-Awesome to see Sting, but I’m still upset over the way the return was handled.
    -The crowd was fuckin hot all night.
    -Salinas got some tig ol’ bitties. I wanna stick my face in ‘em.
    - Frank Trigg is Kurts second brother.
    - Brother Ray is gold on the mic.
    - Whats up with DEvine bringing back the PAparazzi?
    - Love how the Main Event isn't being given 1 hour of time.
    - Lethal Lockdown will be great, but it can't be the main event. That will be wierd.
    - During the LAX Match, was I the only one disappointed to not see the Canadian Detroyer, NOR the Gringo Killa!!!?!?!

If I Ruled The World...

...Imagine That

Established Veteran

Status
    Haha, I definitely agree with not being able to see either the Gringo Killer or Canadian Destroyer. Both moves are awesome. I agree with the whole Cage/Industry thing as well. I just try and stay away from comments like that cause I don't want WWE nut-huggers to turn this column into an argument.

Oops.

Haha, thanks for the feedback Dman. Greatly appreciated.

Thread Information