Thread: Assists, do they really mean anything in Stats?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Assists, do they really mean anything in Stats?

Alright, I might just be an idiot trying to back up my point here, but I am willing to give this a shot. Don't Bash me.

The way I look at it, Assists don't really mean much to me. If you pass the ball, you have to depend on the other person. So you really aren't doing much except for passing the ball to them. The person who passes the ball only needs to get a good pass off, even if they don't, they may still make the shot. I feel that Assists don't mean anything because you don't do much to actually deserve it. You have to depend on your teammate. Now I know that this means that you get your team involved and all that Jazz. But your not the one doing anything, you are just passing the ball like normally. So I feel assists are just pointless.

What are your thoughts?

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine
    An assist is only to be given when the pass compliments the shot. Such as lead passes and whatnot. It's basically supposed to be given when the pass makes the shot.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada
    Hopes you're talking about assists in basketball

An assist shows that you are getting your teammates the ball in areas where it is easy for them to score. It involves more than just passing the ball. You have to see the court and predict how the defense will react to your pass, as well as calculate the the likely hood of your team mate making the shot. Yes in a way you rely on your team mate making the shot, but the point of an assist is to set up a team mate in a place where they have a likely chance of easily making the shot. That's why teams that tend to share the ball and swing it to the open man tend to score over 100 points a game.
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

Mid-Card Champion

Status
    Yeah but I just don't really like the whole point of Assists as a stat. I know what it means and all that stuff, but just don't like it as a stat. That is just me.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada
    It's an important part of the game. Do you like having steals, blocks, rebounds, and turnovers on the stats sheet?
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

Mid-Card Champion

Status
    It's a good stat if you are the opposing team to scout who are the passers, therefore knowing who to lock down and prevent from getting their teammates good looks.

So from a defensive standpoint, it's useful. Teams look at all these stats to scout their opponents, such as the key post men, so they know who to box out hardest to least, and turnovers to see who they can steal from easily, etc...

Heel Champion

Status
    I don't know much about Basketball but I can give you an insight, at least, as Football/soccer is concerned. Assists make the goal, without an assist, there would be no goal, you argue that assists are pointless, you could argue that goals are pointless becuase sometimes players just get a good pass and tap the ball into the goal, they don't do much. The assist and goal are two factors that make a goal, so are equally as important.

Thread Information