Thread: Mae Young - Does She Deserve HOF?

Mae Young - Does She Deserve HOF?

Ignoring the fact that the WWE Hall of Fame is really just a popularity contest for people close with Vince, does Mae Young really deserve to be inducted?

In reality, how important was Mae Young? Sure the WWE tries to make it seem like she was an icon for women wrestling, but was she really? How many of you here can even name one match she was in during her prime? Or better yet, for you older fans, how many of you even knew of Mae Young prior to her Attitude Era debut? I give Mae all the credit in the world for willing to do anything for the WWE. However, for legends of women wrestling, women like Fabulous Moolah, Mildred Burke, Sherri Martel and a few others I would say were much more important.

Steve Patriot
    For her age she has gone to some pretty admirable lengths (physically) to entertain people. She also is apparently the only performer ever to have wrestled in 8 decades...though I think you could only say she "wrestled" in probably 4-5 of those decades.

Despite all of this, fuck no. She deserves consideration but not a nomination.

Really, everyone here knows how much of a pioneer Moolah was. Sure Mae Young supposedly wrestled in 8 decades but, I'm POSITIVE that not a single mark knows how little impact she actually had.

When I think of Moolah I think of a trailblazer paving a way for women in a especially around her time...male oriented sport.

When I think of Mae Young I think of her giving birth to a hand.

Oh and WATCH.....just watch. I gurandamntee that she will flash the crowd at the induction.

Anyone who denies that the HOF is a Popularity contest is a moron. Sammartino and Savage should have been inducted YEARS ago.

I could elaborate but really I think it's obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Patriot View Post
    Anyone who denies that the HOF is a Popularity contest is a moron. Sammartino and Savage should have been inducted YEARS ago.
    To be fair, Bruno is asked to be inducted virtually every year with Bruno denying the request each time. My guess is that he won't be inducted until after his death.

In reality, Mae wasn't that big of a woman wrestler. However, she had one thing going for her that has made her one of the most well known women in wrestling. That one thing was being Moolah's best friend. Had they not been friends, I doubt Vince would of ever even brought Mae into the Attitude Era.

Steve Patriot
    Yeah....I forget that he refuses to be inducted.

We all know that Savage will never be inducted...atleast not until the WWE is run by Turner in 2020.

WAKE UP

Status
    Normally, I wouldn't reply to this thread seeing as I havent seen anything from Mae Young is her wrestling career, I've only had the unying pleasure of seeing her prance about in her underwear whilest trying to avoid breaking her hip.

But, whenever I see the video announcing her induction, they didn't really show much of her wrestling at all, and the video was mostly her doing as I described above. This kind of gives me the impression that she wasn't that good of a wrestler, or atleast that she didn't accomplish much in her wrestling career.

Going on that alone, I would probably say no, but then again like I say I havent seen anything from her career really. I would say Moolah would have been a better choice though.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Intercontinental Champion

Status
    Have we heard of her? Not necessarily, but it does not mean she did not have an impact. She started many years before we were born and she opened up the sport to women.

I suggest you wiki her.

Edit - Actually don't. They have fuck all on info for her. But I remember reading about her a year or two ago somewhere else and she had a good resume.

Quote Originally Posted by KillSteve View Post
    Going on that alone, I would probably say no, but then again like I say I havent seen anything from her career really. I would say Moolah would have been a better choice though.
    Moolah was the first woman inducted into the HOF. She was inducted either the night before Summerslam 1994 or Survivor Series 1996 (I can't remember which).

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Have we heard of her? Not necessarily, but it does not mean she did not have an impact. She started many years before we were born and she opened up the sport to women.
    But that's just it, she didn't. Women wrestling was around before she even started wrestling.

WAKE UP

Status
    Didn't know Moolah was in, I forgot they had the HOF before they started doing the TV inductions
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan_1986 View Post
    Moolah was the first woman inducted into the HOF. She was inducted either the night before Summerslam 1994 or Survivor Series 1996 (I can't remember which).

But that's just it, she didn't. Women wrestling was around before she even started wrestling.

What about King of the Ring (induction)?

Women's wrestling was around, but she made it more marketable.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    What about King of the Ring (induction)?
    Unless I'm confusing Summerslam 1994 for KOTR 1994, I can't remember there ever being a HOF ceremony the night before a KOTR.

Women's wrestling was around, but she made it more marketable.
    But that's the thing, did she? There's a really good documentary called Lipstick & Dynamite, Piss & Vinegar: The First Ladies of Wrestling. In it they talked about how women wrestling really became big and the women who really are responsible. Besides always being in the same room that Moolah was being interviewed in, they almost never even talked about Mae's career.

Status
    WWE: Superstars > Hall of Fame > Mae Young > Bio

There is her bio. I think it is fair

Also, she is a part of the Pro-Wrestling Hof, so WWE is not the only group who believes she deserves it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...g_Hall_of_Fame

Thread Information