Page 406 of 407 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407 LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,120 of 8123

Thread: The Official Independent Wrestling Discussion Thread

King EC

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Official Independent Wrestling Discussion Thread

What do you guys think about Beyond rebranding to Beyond Championship Wrestling and shooting a "network pilot" in March? I don't know much about this situation clearly, but is the idea just to shoot this show and shop it around to see if there are any takers on a TV deal?
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peanutbutter View Post
    What do you guys think about Beyond rebranding to Beyond Championship Wrestling and shooting a "network pilot" in March? I don't know much about this situation clearly, but is the idea just to shoot this show and shop it around to see if there are any takers on a TV deal?
    "BEYOND WRESTLING RECEIVES THUMBS UP FOR “NETWORK PILOT”

Independent wrestling powerhouse, Beyond Wrestling, has been given the green light to film a special “network pilot” on Sunday, March 1, 2020 at Melrose Memorial Hall in Melrose, Massachusetts.

Last year, the New England-based promotion caught the attention of the professional wrestling industry with their weekly live series, Uncharted Territory, which streamed live every week on IndependentWrestling.TV. Uncharted Territory’s two-season run featured thirty-one episodes in total and was widely acclaimed by by critics and fans alike. The success of Uncharted Territory caught the attention of multiple distribution platforms and investors, resulting in this opportunity.

“Our popularity exploded in 2019,” says Beyond Wrestling owner Drew Cordeiro. “When we first started taping matches in a garage in Elyria, Ohio in 2009 I would have never imagined how big Beyond Wrestling would become. Each day we grow our YouTube channel with millions of fans from around the world watching. IWTV.LIVE continues to be an incredible partner for premium live streaming content, but we must explore all options in the name of further distribution.

With over two million YouTube subscribers and a live event presence in multiple major American markets, Beyond Wrestling has long been a the vanguard of the booming independent wrestling scene, and 2020 is poised to be their biggest year yet.

Tickets for the historic taping go on sale this Friday, January 24, 2020 at noon EST."

https://tix.independentwrestling.tv/...ship-wrestling

Here's what their website says

EDIT: Also looks like they've sold out most of the show so hopefully they find success on this project.

King EC

Status

I was watching some of the recent Uncharted Territory episodes this morning actually and yeah... they've got a very good presentation already. Two good commentators, as well. Plenty of talent. I'm interested to see where this goes.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Beyond for a few years now have been the best indie promotion in the US so good for them for getting a shot to reach a wider audience.

WAKE UP

Status

anyone have any opinions on mance warner?

[Run]

Status

Nothing to shout about in ring, but a fun character to have around

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I've watched him a ton and he's usually just a fun act. He can have good matches but I'm not sure if he'd have blow away great matches. Fine for the spots he traditionally in.

Semi-Retired

Status

I love Mance. He is more of a hardcore guy, but I think his personality and charisma make up for a lot of his short comings in the ring.

Status

Yo White Rhyno, you go to any MCW shows? My brother and I might be making the drive down from PA for one of their Spring Fever shows. Specifically cause Orange Cassidy will be there.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Teddy Hart was arrested again in Richmond, Virginia.

Wrestling Inc. is still working on details of the arrest, which would be Hart's third arrest this year.

As Wrestling Inc. first reported, Hart was arrested last month on February 12th in Richmond, Virginia. The 40-year old was booked on three charges of possession, possession of a Schedule III controlled substance and possession with intent to sell and distribute. In a now-deleted video, Hart said that he was pulled over by police due to an issue with his license plate not matching the registration for the car he was driving in. Hart said that he was arrested after the police found steroids and marijuana in the car.

Hart was arrested again earlier this month on March 4th for violating his house arrest.

Hart has had his share of legal issues throughout the years. He was arrested in December of 2014 by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police on multiple sexual assault charges involving two women, which were dropped in June of 2016. He was most recently arrested on January 1, 2017 after attempting to evade arrest after being pulled over for a hazardous traffic violation in Arlington, Texas. Those charges were also eventually dropped.
    First Jon Jones now Teddy Hart? COME ON!!!

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Weird story going around just now that indie worker Joe Alonzo is being accused of prank calling “a lot” of workers, promoters, staff from various promotions, including AEW (MJF broke kayfabe to address this as a victim, which apparently he rarely does on social media). The prank being these people were each called from a blocked number by a crying person to inform them a relative of theirs had committed suicide.

Alonzo denies it and claims it’s convenient this happens as he starts getting AEW Dark bookings. Joey Janela and Sammy Guevara defended him, saying they refuse to believe he would this. Some of his accusers say he is a connection between all the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Weird story going around just now that indie worker Joe Alonzo is being accused of prank calling “a lot” of workers, promoters, staff from various promotions, including AEW (MJF broke kayfabe to address this as a victim, which apparently he rarely does on social media). The prank being these people were each called from a blocked number by a crying person to inform them a relative of theirs had committed suicide.

Alonzo denies it and claims it’s convenient this happens as he starts getting AEW Dark bookings. Joey Janela and Sammy Guevara defended him, saying they refuse to believe he would this. Some of his accusers say he is a connection between all the victims.
    I wouldn't believe Alonzo would do this, but who knows. I just won't assume he'd do this without concrete evidence.

Good to know Janela and Guevara defended him.

WAKE UP

Status

IWTV have a new agreement with SENDAI Girls, so there'll be that coming on the platform soon

WAKE UP

Status

IWTV just added a whole bunch of IWA: East Coast shows from the mid-2000s, as if it wasn't already a great VFM VOD service. Looking forward to hunting for some hidden gems there.

WAKE UP

Status

Using IWTV to fill in some blanks in my IWA:MS viewing. 2008 TPI brief thoughts:

- Sara Del Rey vs Trik Davis. On paper this works because SDR had a rep for being a female ass-kicker and Trik is a small, weasel-y heel. In practice SDR is sloppy, nothing she does looks like it connects properly let alone hits stiff, and she's pretty boring to watch get beat down on. Mediocre match. SDR had a rep for being a top female worker in her day but that was only comparison to WWE swimsuit models, she really wasn't very good.

- Cassandro vs Chuck Taylor. A couple of fun spots from Cassandro, the exotico schtick was amusing, he hits a crazy tope and even crazier shoulder ring-post bump where flies out of the ring hard. The actual wrestling outside that was pretty average, mostly because Chuck is a crummy wrestler who can't do much and the ring-ropes weren't tight enough, resulting in Cassandro slipping/almost slipping a couple times when doing spots. OK match, Cassandro had better with Rhett Titus.

- Sami Callihan vs Chris Hero. I liked their later matches but none of them were GREAT, and this is similarly good without ever really hitting that next level. They have the veteran vs upstart story going, and Sami is always moving forward while getting beat down. This was pre-fat Young Knockout Artist Hero and some of his elbows looked really brutal. They kind of ran out of steam after the first 10 minute and lost me towards the end though.

- Necro Butcher vs Eddie Kingston. This was also more fun than great. Short-ish match between two wildly charismatic brawlers. Most of the match is Necro all over King, so we get some typical Eddie punchdrunk selling and cussing. Necro does an Iron Claw, a Chokeslam and a flying crossbody(!) Kingston does a really fugly suplex to Necro off the apron to the floor. Decent but lacked the heat, intensity or stiffness you want from these guys to take it something memorable.

- Claudio Castagnoli vs Jimmy Jacobs. Another solid if unspectacular match. Jacobs was in AOTF period and this was Claudio after the tie gimmick but before he started power-lifting. I've seen these guys match up a few times and they just don't seem to have much of a spark or chemistry. There was some decent action, Jacobs uses his smaller size and speed to his advantage and Claudio does some of his strength spots, but there's not much story or focus or heat. Probably the best of the Night 1 tourney matches, though Night 2 has some matches much better.

- Dingo vs Jayson Strife, Loser Leaves Town match. I'd actually seen this one before as it's on the Best Of 2008 Smartmark DVD (remember DVDs?). I don't think I've ever seen another Strife match but Dingo is on the longlist of awesome IWA guys who never broke out anywhere else. This is what you want from a blood fued ender. Hate, stiff brawling around the venue, guys taking bumps on the hard floor and into walls. Dingo wears a really disgusting crimson masks and busts Strife open in return with some brass knucks, before fish-hooking him with the rope cable fixing. Oof. Dingo wins decisively by killing Strife with a bunch of piledrivers, the final one being on a chair. Very good match, delivers what you want from it. Best match on a show with a lot of bigger and more popular names on it.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 05-24-2020 at 03:31 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

^^ TPI 2008 Night 2 thoughts:

Claudio Castagnoli vs Dave Taylor. Fun match but never came anything more. Taylor feels like an unexplored talent, universally held in high regard, worked all over the world and a long career, but so much under the radar. 2 small stints in WCW and WWE and the brief indy run here. He looked like he was having a blast in front of a receptive crowd here. Him and Claudio do some fine wrestling and trade stiff uppercuts, then it ends after about 10 minutes before it escalates into anything further.

Too Cold Scorpio vs Ace Steel. Total nothing match. Scorp had some bangers in this run, this wasn't one. Steel kind of blows as a singles guy.

Sami Callihan vs Eddie Kingston. Had seen this one before and it's good shit. In the first minute Sami slaps the chops off King and eats a backfist for this troubles, sending him out the ring. From there is a match that plays to both guys strengths - Kingston beating up a rookie, Sami taking a beating and moving forward. Hard-hitting, STIFF match. King especially was rocking Callihan with some of his blows. Cool finish with Kingston blocking Sami's lariat finisher, hitting the backfist, only for the momentum to spin Sami round into the Lariat anyway and both guys collapse. A believable way for the younger guy to win without Kingston looking weak. Very good match.

Claudio Castagnoli vs Sara Del Rey. I remember this match getting plenty of hype at the time. I didn't rate it much then and I stand by that. It's a fine underdog match and Claudio gives SDR plenty of nearfalls on him, but I didn't feel there was much else meat on the bones. They were trying REALLY hard to put over SDR in this tourney as being equal to the guys and the fans did react positively to it, but it felt forced to me. Commentators keep putting over how hard SDR's kicks are but watching this after Kingston vs Sami I wasn't seeing it.

Sami Callihan vs Too Cold Scorpio. This one ruled hard. Pretty much a one-sided beatdown as Scorp lays into Sami with a vast range of different strikes and Sami spends 90% of the match getting his ass kicked and surviving the punishment. Scorp is known for his flying, but he really works well in this type of match too. All of his strikes look really stiff and he mixes it up plenty - punch combos, different kicks, headbutts, palm strikes and some swank flip-kicks. As the match goes on and Sami keeps kicking out Scorp gets frustated and Sami starts getting fired up for a big comeback, and by the time it's over this was rocking hard. Finish was a little bit abrupt but that's the only downside and it made sense in the context of a tournament semi-finals. Scorp's 2008 run in IWA:MS was awesome and this was the best match and also a career highlight for Sami.

Chris Hero vs Trik Davis. Hero vs Davis is probably the best IWA:MS fued ever (that or Hero vs Kingston, which wasn't just an IWA fued). This was a good match that stopped short of being great. It's Falls Count ANywhere so lots of brawling around the venue, hard shots, bumps onto the floor and into walls. They do a good job building up to a big spot off the stage onto a bunch of chairs. Trik tries to target Hero's arm but it doesn't stop Hero from absolutely creaming him with a few shots. There was good content but I don't know, just didn't hit that next level, maybe went a bit too long and ran out of steam at points.

Wasn't this the TPI where no one got paid? Or at least I know Dave Taylor wasn't paid.

WAKE UP

Status

No idea. Probably, though that could have been any of them. This was the only one Taylor was on so must have been classic Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    No idea. Probably, though that could have been any of them. This was the only one Taylor was on so must have been classic Ian.
    Rookie mistake by Taylor. Don't accept checks from Ian Rotten.

WAKE UP

Status

The latest IWTV partner signing is BattlARTS. Already about 10 shows from 2007-2009 up online.

Page 406 of 407 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407 LastLast

Thread Information