Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 07/08 Season Discussion

On Vacation

Status

NHL 07/08 Season Discussion

NHL 2007/2008 Regular Season Discussion

Discuss the 2007/2008 NHL Season in here. This includes Game Results, Trades, Stats, and everything else relating to the NHL Regular Season. If threads are made outside of this, I will ask the Admin and/or Mods to merge the threads with this one.

On Vacation

Status

Simon Suspended 30 Games

The National Hockey League came down hard again on New York Islanders forward Chris Simon on Wednesday, handing him a 30-game suspension for stepping on Pittsburgh's Jarkko Ruutu last weekend.

"There were several factors that were considered in imposing the largest suspension in NHL history for an on-ice incident," explained NHL Vice President Colin Campbell in a statement.

"While fortunate, Mr. Ruutu suffered no serious injury as a result of Chris Simon's actions, the deliberate act of kicking an opponent with a skate blade, especially when that opponent is in a vulnarable position, is and always has been a repugnant and totally unacceptable act in the game of hockey."

With the decision, Simon will forfeit $292,683 to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund and is eligible to return to the Islanders' lineup Feb. 21 against the Tampa Bay Lightning. In light of the severity of the discipline, a source close to the case believes Simon will be quick to appeal it.
    Dayum, that's a lot more time than I thought he was going to get. Oh well, it's his own fault. He could have seriously injured Ruutu by stepping on him with his skates, and possibly could have ended his career.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
    Fuck he should be suspended the rest of the year that was just a complete asshole, tasteless dick thing to do.

On Vacation

Status
    He shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL again. They know how rough Simon can be, we seen that last year when he chopped Ryan Hollweg in the face with his stick. I understand giving him another chance after the Hollweg' incident, but not this one.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated [R]KO View Post
    Dayum, that's a lot more time than I thought he was going to get. Oh well, it's his own fault. He could have seriously injured Ruutu by stepping on him with his skates, and possibly could have ended his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated [R]KO View Post
    He shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL again. They know how rough Simon can be, we seen that last year when he chopped Ryan Hollweg in the face with his stick. I understand giving him another chance after the Hollweg' incident, but not this one.

First you say it's longer, then you say it's not long enough?? Make up your mind. Anyway, as I've said other places, I think teams should stop signing talentless pricks like Simon, eventually telling the team i.e. the Islanders, that they can't replace his roster spot until after the suspension

Curtain Jerker

Status
    Pretty sure this guy has turned into a complete idiot.

On Vacation

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post

First you say it's longer, then you say it's not long enough?? Make up your mind. Anyway, as I've said other places, I think teams should stop signing talentless pricks like Simon, eventually telling the team i.e. the Islanders, that they can't replace his roster spot until after the suspension
    When I said it was a lot more time than I thought he was going to get, I meant that the NHL is full of retards and probably wouldn't give him that much time. I figured maybe a ten game suspension.

Curtain Jerker

Status
    IMO he shouldn't be allowed to play and his suspension wasn't long enough...30 games sets a record sure, but this guy has been suspended multiple times, and a few that could have ended peoples careers, he's a dangerous player who shouldn't be allowed into the NHL...and the Islanders "back" him up....just a disgrace for the team...

Click the banner to join the all new Sports forum!

On Vacation

Status

Lightning Shock Leafs

TAMPA, Fla. - Vincent Lecavalier scored with 41.6 seconds left in the third period and rookie Karri Ramo made 31 saves to lead the Tampa Bay Lightning past the Toronto Maple Leafs, 2-1, on Thursday night.
    Fuck sakes, this is the second game in a row that the Leafs have failed within the last minute. Tonight in Tampa, and the other night in Carolina. They need to pick up their game, losing Bryan McCabe isn't an excuse to play poorly.

knower of all

Status
    Ahaha, two games in a row. These kind of things always happen to the Leafs, I kind of feel bad for them.

i'm all kinds of awesome.

Status
    It just happens... /shrugs

I don't really follow hockey, buttt the Lightning are my home hockey team so I try and keep tabs on 'em to see if they do good or not and must say this... Vincent is an awesome hockey player.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
    Vinny is all right, but after the championship year, he got highly overrated, and couldn't really live up to the hype.

knower of all

Status
    Just all right? lol

I agree that he couldn't live up to the hype when he was first drafted but last year he really seemed to break out. He's been amazing since then, and currently leading the league in points. Arguably the best player in the league right now.

On Vacation

Status
    If we're going to talk about overrated hockey players, then we might as well talk about Sidney Crosby. I'm from his hometown, and I like him a lot, but he's never going to be as good as they predict. They're calling him the next Wayne Gretzky, but he's not even close to being at the level Gretzky was at 20 years old.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
      Country                    ca=Canada
    Its the freaking Leafs! I'm shocked when they win to be honest. The Raptors are the future of Toronto sports. Fuck Mats Sundin, its all about CB4 bringing the sick, wicked, & nasty! Get out the Salami and Cheese momma, the years of the Leafs making the playoffs is over!!!
    [
    I'll crash the plane that ****** n-gga B.O.B is in!

On Vacation

Status
    ^^ It's sad, but true. The Leafs are pretty much fucked for atleast the next few years. But to say "Fuck Mats Sundin", isn't right. He's basically the only reason the Leafs have won at all this year. He is currently 8th in the whole NHL in points, with 40 in 35 games.

The Leafs do have a lot of depth for the future though. They have some great young talent such as Kyle Wellwood, Matt Stajan, Jiri Tlusty, Anton Stralman, and a lot more down in the AHL. First step to brightening the Leafs' future, firing John Ferguson Jr., and/or Paul Maurice.

On Vacation

Status

5 Goals + 1 Assists = Gaborik

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Stuck in a crowd in the crease midway through the third period, Minnesota's Marian Gaborik was in no position to score.

But the shot from the blue line ricocheted toward Gaborik, who had just enough room to slap the puck out of the air and into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the game.

Clearly, it was Gaborik's night.

Gaborik scored on a breakaway less than two minutes later to post the NHL's first five-goal game in 11 years and lead the Wild past the New York Rangers 6-3 on Thursday night for their fourth straight victory.
    Damn, talk about impressive. I've always been a Gaborik Fan, and last night he proved why. Still shout 4 points though of Darryl Sittler's NHL Record.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    The leafs have good second and third line players. They don't have anyone who you can say will be the face of the franchise in the future. If Mats really cared about the team, he would demand to be traded. It's obvious that he isnt going to win a cup with the Leafs. His being there is holding them back. There are some good youngsters who will be entering the draft. If the Leafs can get a top 10 #1 draft pick then the should have the face of their franchise.

The Leafs need to blow up the team and rebuild, but they are in Toronto so that could be a problem. Not to mention everyone in Canada thinks they are a hockey expert and when your GM has limited control over the team, you get the Leafs.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that the Leaf fans wont stand for three years of not making the playoffs to rebuild, but they will take three + years of not making the playoffs to live in some fantasy world where the Leafs have a hope of making the playoffs.
    [

On Vacation

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by xXx View Post
    The leafs have good second and third line players. They don't have anyone who you can say will be the face of the franchise in the future. If Mats really cared about the team, he would demand to be traded. It's obvious that he isnt going to win a cup with the Leafs. His being there is holding them back. There are some good youngsters who will be entering the draft. If the Leafs can get a top 10 #1 draft pick then the should have the face of their franchise.

The Leafs need to blow up the team and rebuild, but they are in Toronto so that could be a problem. Not to mention everyone in Canada thinks they are a hockey expert and when your GM has limited control over the team, you get the Leafs.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that the Leaf fans wont stand for three years of not making the playoffs to rebuild, but they will take three + years of not making the playoffs to live in some fantasy world where the Leafs have a hope of making the playoffs.
    No, that's called caring for yourself. Mats wants to stay with the team, because that's where he played for most of his career, and he loves it where he is now.

I'm Tha Man!

Status
    But he is the only thing worth value on that team. They have traded away all of their draft picks, and they have no cap room. He is getting up there in age so it makes no sense building a team around him, and they dont have anyone on the current team to build around. Mats is hurting the team more than anything.
    [

Thread Information