Page 175 of 188 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 3753

Thread: Random Wrestling Talk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Random Wrestling Talk

1999 WWE is car crash television. It's aged about as well as old South Park - very badly. But for the time it was perfect, but looking at it with 2018 eyes doesn't work.

But the main event scene was exciting with fresh, charismatic talent. If you get the top of the card right you always stand a chance.

WCW is shit with 2018 eyes and 1999 eyes. It was awful then and awful now, and didn't have the fresh charismatic main event talent to help them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    1999 WWE is car crash television. It's aged about as well as old South Park - very badly. But for the time it was perfect, but looking at it with 2018 eyes doesn't work.

But the main event scene was exciting with fresh, charismatic talent. If you get the top of the card right you always stand a chance.

WCW is shit with 2018 eyes and 1999 eyes. It was awful then and awful now, and didn't have the fresh charismatic main event talent to help them.

One thing I'm noticing watching WCW in 2000 is even with guys like Luger, Hennig, Sting and even Hogan to an extent beginning to loosen their grip on the top of the card, WCW still completely fails to create new stars in the process. Shawn Stasiak beat Hennig at Slamboree and then turned around and lost to GI Bro the next PPV. Palumbo beat down Luger then was completely irrelevant in a month. The Wall was built up huge and then just kinda falls to the wayside as soon as he stops wearing that dumbass shirt and tie. Tank Abbott was probably never going to be anything special but they had no committment to pushing him so he became yet another bit player. Mike Awesome was actually great for the first few months in WCW but I know in a few months he's gonna become the fat chick thriller and there goes his legitimacy. Kidman and Vampiro are the only two guys who through the first half of 2000 have been given a consistent enough push to elevate them a little ways up the card. But they're limited by the fact they're in the New Blood and all the focus is on Russo, Bischoff and Jarrett.

Status

I bought the Top 50 Superstars of All Time DVD that came out, I wanna say, in 2010. Bruno Sammartino and Hulk Hogan are 24th and 23rd on this list. And I haven't seen Edge yet but I know he's on this list. How did this happen?

EDIT: Edge was 19.

Dusty and Flair tied at 17... Cena at 16... Who's 15?

Curt Hennig.

Rey Mysterio NUMBER 9!?!?!

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

The list very clearly had a recency bias for Edge, Cena, and others. It's a dumb list.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    The list very clearly had a recency bias for Edge, Cena, and others. It's a dumb list.
    Cena at 16 I don't see as recency bias. He's definitely worthy of being there. Edge at 19, Mysterio at 9 and even, to an extent, HBK at 1 (this was the year he retired) is where I feel the recency bias was definitely evident. Shockingly, Harley Race was the highest ranked of any of the "old school" wrestlers at 7 (I think). Definitely a wonky list though and it seems like the superstars who voted on the list had some weird biases going. I feel like they had it in their mind that the other superstars would put Hogan, Flair, Sammartino, etc higher, but then they didn't, so those guys all ended up getting shitty rankings.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Edge in the top 20? I don't even know what to say about that.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

#GrimLove

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Cena at 16 I don't see as recency bias. He's definitely worthy of being there. Edge at 19, Mysterio at 9 and even, to an extent, HBK at 1 (this was the year he retired) is where I feel the recency bias was definitely evident. Shockingly, Harley Race was the highest ranked of any of the "old school" wrestlers at 7 (I think). Definitely a wonky list though and it seems like the superstars who voted on the list had some weird biases going. I feel like they had it in their mind that the other superstars would put Hogan, Flair, Sammartino, etc higher, but then they didn't, so those guys all ended up getting shitty rankings.
    I mean, if you ask me, the top 5 Superstars would be:

1. Hogan
    2. Bruno
    3. Austin
    4. Undertaker
    5. Cena (I hate Cena but to say he isn't one of the biggest names in the business is whack).

Going further, Bret Hart, Savage, Backlund, Shawn, and Orton would round out my top 10, possibly in that order.

Status

I mean, if you ask me, the top 5 Superstars would be:

1. Hogan
    2. Bruno
    3. Austin
    4. Undertaker
    5. Cena (I hate Cena but to say he isn't one of the biggest names in the business is whack).

Going further, Bret Hart, Savage, Backlund, Shawn, and Orton would round out my top 10, possibly in that order.
    Wow. There are several of Orton's peers I'd have to put over him. Triple H, Jericho, Angle, Punk, Bryan and Guerrero all in no particular order beat him out imo and I'm one of Orton's bigger fans. And I put a good few names before Backlund as well.

#GrimLove

Status

Wow. There are several of Orton's peers I'd have to put over him. Triple H, Jericho, Angle, Punk, Bryan and Guerrero all in no particular order beat him out imo and I'm one of Orton's bigger fans. And I put a good few names before Backlund as well.
    I dunno. As a #2 wrestler in the modern era he's pretty firmly established as a major draw. Triple H in the Attitude Era was a #3 guy behind Rock and Austin and he was shoehorned as a faux-#1 guy during the RA Era. Guerrero was never a main event player for long enough to justify what I'm going with as "Top Blah Superstar". Punk was also firmly established as a #2 guy, never going over Cena, Bryan had a cup of coffee in the main event due to injury, and Angle and Jericho were all #4 guys in their respective era.

Does that make sense? I dunno.

Status

I dunno. As a #2 wrestler in the modern era he's pretty firmly established as a major draw. Triple H in the Attitude Era was a #3 guy behind Rock and Austin and he was shoehorned as a faux-#1 guy during the RA Era. Guerrero was never a main event player for long enough to justify what I'm going with as "Top Blah Superstar". Punk was also firmly established as a #2 guy, never going over Cena, Bryan had a cup of coffee in the main event due to injury, and Angle and Jericho were all #4 guys in their respective era.

Does that make sense? I dunno.
    I do get where you're coming from but I also disagree with Orton being the number two guy of his era. At any given point he had one of, if not several of, Taker, Batista, Edge, Punk or Trips ahead of him in his peak years.

I love Orton, and his longevity and accolades put him firmly in the top 25 in my book. I just don't see him as top 10, especially when you look at his lack of memorable matches. But that's just me.

#GrimLove

Status

Fair enough. If anything, I'd probably trade him out with Rock then.

Status

Fair enough. If anything, I'd probably trade him out with Rock then.
    Yeah there's definitely no justifying him over The Rock.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Wonder how much footage from the Capitol Wrestling yrs does WWE have.

On Vacation

Status

20 Man Battle Royal, the Fantasy

The Roadwarriors
    Goldberg
    Bill Kazmeir
    Jeep Swenson
    Ted Arcidi
    Big Van Vadar
    Big John Studd
    Hercules Hernandez
    The Warlord
    Nord the Barbarian
    Batista
    Brock Lesnar
    Braun Strowman
    The Barbarian
    Hercules Cortez
    Ken Patera
    Mark Henry
    Bruno Sammartino
    Don Leo Jonathan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While here......

How about some trivia?

1.Give me 30 pro wrestlers in the movies.(historically speaking)
    Last edited by Emerson; 09-21-2018 at 02:33 AM.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Saw that Kofi Kingston now has the most days as tag champion in WWE history. Thought it was an interesting stat because I don't really consider him a "great" tag guy like I would for a guy like Cesaro. Anyone agree/disagree?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Saw that Kofi Kingston now has the most days as tag champion in WWE history. Thought it was an interesting stat because I don't really consider him a "great" tag guy like I would for a guy like Cesaro. Anyone agree/disagree?
    I never considered him a tag guy until the New Day but now I definitely do. The last few years have been the best of his career.

When I think of the best parts of his career I think of Air Boom and the New Day. His singles runs were pretty underwhelming.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I never considered him a tag guy until the New Day but now I definitely do. The last few years have been the best of his career.

When I think of the best parts of his career I think of Air Boom and the New Day. His singles runs were pretty underwhelming.

I feel like they just had a hard time doing anything with him because they never knew what they wanted his direction to be. And his character was tweaked every few months. If I'm being honest, I could see myself having trouble writing a good storlyine for a smiling Jamaican guy that jumps high.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

I feel like they just had a hard time doing anything with him because they never knew what they wanted his direction to be.
    This is sorta how I feel. It's like a good amount of that time has been because they've had nothing else for him to do.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Aaland

I recently watched the hhh doc , was stunned on he entered wcw as a performer called terror rising then they changed the gimmick to the stuck up French gimmick , luckily he changed to wwf , then he was there for a bit that night when they all climbed up to the cages hall Nash etcleft shawn got injured and Vince said hunter u know ur gonna have to eat platefulsof shit had me in stiches, got me thinking is this when Vince knew he had the gumption to succeed and become hid right hand man ? Either way thumbs up , really liked getting to see a different side, to the on screen character , I think he showed how strong physical and mentally he was when he first ripped his ACL , the doc said he should have been able to walk , he still continued with match and he's done it again I was like he's a strong man, really impressed me as I didn't like hhh before this, throughly enjoyed watching it , highly recommend it.

Peace.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    I recently watched the hhh doc , was stunned on he entered wcw as a performer called terror rising then they changed the gimmick to the stuck up French gimmick , luckily he changed to wwf , then he was there for a bit that night when they all climbed up to the cages hall Nash etcleft shawn got injured and Vince said hunter u know ur gonna have to eat platefulsof shit had me in stiches, got me thinking is this when Vince knew he had the gumption to succeed and become hid right hand man ? Either way thumbs up , really liked getting to see a different side, to the on screen character , I think he showed how strong physical and mentally he was when he first ripped his ACL , the doc said he should have been able to walk , he still continued with match and he's done it again I was like he's a strong man, really impressed me as I didn't like hhh before this, throughly enjoyed watching it , highly recommend it.

Peace.
    His name was Terra Ryzin actually if I recall correctly.

But yeah you can criticize Triple H for a lot of things but his passion and knowledge for wrestling is really remarkable.

Thread Information