Page 718 of 720 FirstFirst ... 218618668708716717718719720 LastLast
Results 14,341 to 14,360 of 14392

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    So how do you guys feel about random injuries in your btb I just did one in my recent episode and by random I put my roster name in hat and pulled out somwone just to challange myself a little.
    I like the random use of them, it gives you a challenge to think outside the box and think of a different story which sometimes is better than the original.

Back in the beginning of my thread I had never planned on Bret Hart getting hurt, and it forced me to push Rick Martel to the IC title, which ended up being one of my favorite storylines to write.

The pulling out of the hat would scare me a bit though. Thats ballsy on your end

Hail To The King

Status

latest ep of omb nxt btb you can see who it was kind of sucked but i wanted challange self

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Indy Talent

Status

EWR is good for doing injuries as you book and can provide some fun challenges. In my old thread I had to cope without Charlotte in my Women's divison for months due to an injury but it allowed me to build other women up

Freshly Squeezed Royalty

Status

I try to incorporate injuries but at times feel like I over compensate due to how fast real life actually passes compared to BTB time. I remember an early thread I tried to have a random chance for injury every single match and within a week had 8 people out for 8 months. It’s much harder to do imo when not using a game to be the backbone of the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serious Professional

Status

I only ever write historical BTBs, so I tend to rigidly stick to the injuries/contracts/suspensions that happened irl. Obviously I know they're coming so that probably influences my booking subconsciously, but I try to remind myself that at the time I wouldn't have known what was about to happen and therefore stick with whatever would have seemed logical. If that means building someone up for a big push then getting derailed by an injury, I suck it up.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I only ever write historical BTBs, so I tend to rigidly stick to the injuries/contracts/suspensions that happened irl. Obviously I know they're coming so that probably influences my booking subconsciously, but I try to remind myself that at the time I wouldn't have known what was about to happen and therefore stick with whatever would have seemed logical. If that means building someone up for a big push then getting derailed by an injury, I suck it up.
    Yeah....

Doing it random sucks because who got picked was a big member of my btb but im sticking to my guns and doing it

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

So how do you guys feel about random injuries in your btb I just did one in my recent episode and by random I put my roster name in hat and pulled out somwone just to challange myself a little.
    Was this Drew? I thought it was so random when you announced he was injured- I guess it makes sense now, it was Haha!

Yeah it's not a bad idea at all. Makes things interesting and gives a booking challenge too!

"LET ME IN.."

Charismatic Enigma

Status

If anyone wants to read something I am working on, let me know. It would be greatly appreciated and helped me with my work in my 2001 BTB some.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    UK

So, over the course of the past few weeks, I've started planning/writing for at least four different threads. All different time periods and/or companies.

Guys like Wolfy, Keef, Stoj and Shade to name a few; you guys have had great, consistent, long running threads - how do you resist the urge of getting distracted by the idea of another thread? I'll start writing then I'll see/listen to a clip or podcast concerning something else, and my mind wanders into booking something concerning that. For example; every Wednesday night I watch NXT/NXT UK, and I can't help but stray into an NXT idea.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Norfolk Island

I'm not one of those guys, but I'd imagine it has mostly to do with just having enough fun and fuel for the BTB they are already working on. If you enjoy doing your already running BTB and you feel like it didn't ran its course or is far from finished, that urge to start another project isn't as pungent.
    Or it is actually pretty pungent, but they don't want to drop their great long-running series for it. Another great reason for the waiting period you have here.

I guess you have to make a cut somewhere, choose your starting point and then just stick with it. Maybe write down other ideas that come flying to you, so they get out and don't clog up your writing brain, but other than that you just have to stick with whatever you felt is the right point to start from, I assume.

If you let that urge of getting distracted lead you, you'll lose. That is always a very visible thing, when the After-Wrestlemania-BTBs pop up and die down within days or weeks, for example.

Serious Professional

Status

Quote Originally Posted by GJCLS View Post
    So, over the course of the past few weeks, I've started planning/writing for at least four different threads. All different time periods and/or companies.

Guys like Wolfy, Keef, Stoj and Shade to name a few; you guys have had great, consistent, long running threads - how do you resist the urge of getting distracted by the idea of another thread? I'll start writing then I'll see/listen to a clip or podcast concerning something else, and my mind wanders into booking something concerning that. For example; every Wednesday night I watch NXT/NXT UK, and I can't help but stray into an NXT idea.
    For me, I'd say 90% of it is persistence. That is more of a skill and a challenge than most other parts of writing imo.

It's not like I don't have other ideas or don't want to switch it up (I've been itching to go back to my old WCW thread for about a year now!), it's just that I want to stick with a project (any project) more than I want to be one of those guys who never gets past an initial post then changes it up, and have to keep reminding myself of that. Sometimes it's a real pain to keep going on my current thread when I get the creative juices flowing on a potential different idea, but I just push through it and try to write another segment on my current one. After a segment or two, I normally get back in the flow.

In terms of tangible advice, what has helped me stick with this current thread is a) planning ahead, meaning I want to keep going to reach some fun points (I've been excited about writing the Raw after No Way Out for about six months now), b) create a backlog of shows, meaning if you run out of steam you have stuff to post to keep you ticking over, and c) have a potential end point in mind. I've known my likely end point for the current thread pretty much since it started (the clue's in the title!), so knowing it's not necessarily forever if I don't want it to be means I can keep it going short term knowing long term it'll pay off.

So, if you're looking for my thoughts on how to do it... just do it. Plan out what you want to happen. Do it way in advance. Keep things in the future you're excited to reach. Then write a show. And another. And another. Eventually you get in the swing of it and it becomes exciting to see people's feedback and the way people engage with what you're trying to say, and switching up to a new idea becomes less exciting. If it becomes hard, force yourself to push through. If the energy for it comes back, great. If it doesn't, it's a sign you don't like the idea and it's okay to change things up.

Good luck!

Status

So its been a long while since I had a long-running BTB, but hopefully that doesn't exclusive me from providing input.

I doubt there are many writers with long-term projects who aren't tempted by other projects. Its normal. It takes discipline to stick with one, and massive singular focus to not even get that temptation at all.

It helps to start with a project that you REALLY want to do. Not just jumping into the first project idea that you get because "that would be fun". Find that story you really want to tell. That will help with sticking with it, and also with grinding through those rough periods where you aren't getting the kind of response and feedback you want from readers. Where you question if you even have any readers. That is a huge barrier to get past for a lot of writers and it kills promising projects.

Once you have taken the time to really pick the right project, give yourself time to plan. And to write. Don't post the project, here or anywhere else. Write a show. Then another. Then another. Then maybe another. Write out a few shows in full, reading to go. This serves a few purposes. One is that it ensures you will get past the point where most projects die off. It will also force you to stick with it for a period where you probably get other ideas for other projects. I tend to do "monthly recap" style projects. And for the projects I've started and let die over the past 2 or 3 years, I try to have a years worth of recaps. 12 "shows" all written up. If I can get through that, I feel its worth posting. If I get 2 or 3 and that's it, it never sees the light of day.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Great advice lads, I couldn't agree more.

I'm loving the "BTB" I'm doing with my boy, Skeng. That said- I've recently had an itch to do a solo one and if I could combine the two, I would for sure. However like the advice above- We've planned and booked shows so far ahead and are both enjoying it that much that we're at this moment- 100% committed to the cause Haha!

I think you've just got to get past the spur of the moment vibes and make sure it's something that you really want to do because you're doing it for your own enjoyment.

"LET ME IN.."

Underdog

Status

It's been a while. I'm interested in doing a partner BTB. Who's interested?

Heel Champion

Status

Sorry for my tardiness here as I genuinely meant to answer this sooner. In my time here I've had several long running threads from my Marvel (This is coming to an end next year, not trying to plug it just letting you guys know I got another idea in the tank to follow) to my old Gotham City Stories show in the Non Wrestling Section. To of course my bookers in the wrestling section with PWR (you guys have no clue how much it bothers me that I half assed it's return a few years ago, should I choose to end my UK Brand at any stage. I will give you a true continuation of this for a new audience), WCW 2001: The Bischoff - Fusient Era, WWE 2004: A New Horizon and of course my UK Brand. Now I'm going to be honest with you I've spent a lot of time in the past and even to this day, drawing up designs for other bookers I could do at some stage. For those interested some of my ideas lately include my interpretation of ECW 2006 (Hopefully done a lot better than WWE haha), TNA 2010 (Hogan is not coming in!) and a potential 3rd WWE main roster brand modern day called Thunder.

Yet the truth is I've always stuck with my ideas for a variety of reasons. One is that if I feel most passionate about something, I will write it. I'm low key kinda obsessive so it gives me something to focus on which is fantastic as my mind does wander. So in that regard with what I write, I like to make sure it's something I'm genuinely invested in. So in that regard as you mentioned with you liking NXT or NXT UK, perhaps in the future you give that a try. Two is that despite how highly structure and mapped out my writing has become (curse of being obsessive haha). I find one of the best things for me is to not be afraid to take risks, like it's very easy to become complacent and trust me I do have my tropes such as I love a faction/stable or an unbeaten monster (I had like 6 of these in PWR haha). But what I mean is for example, for those who follow independent wrestling in the UK. I used a guy called Josh Bodom. I'd like to say I handled him quite well, I gave him a rather organic story which formed in him going from a heel lackey, to a popular mid card babyface. Yet recently he's continued to prove IRL that he's a shit human being. Now I try not to let things like this affect my work but it did put me off him and it meant that i'd not be writing for him as best I could. So I elected to shake things up a little and write him out of a storyline near the tale end with the challenge of will this alteration be for the best or for the worst.

Perhaps that is a little drastic in regards to what I'm saying, but my point is that it is easy to get a wandering eye in long term projects. Because as they say the grass is always greener on the other side. Yet I believe if you enjoy what you write and you find a way to keep things fresh. Then you have a winner on your hands. I'm sorry if this was one long ramble, but I just wanted to go into my thought process.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Phew! That's a few reviews done and I have to say, I enjoyed every single show.

I wish I could review more because the quality in this section is awesome and there's so much fun creativity which ever way you turn. Hopefully I'll check out a couple more on Thursday when I'm off next.

Any way, just wanted to shout out the section and to let people know to keep up the good work! :D

"LET ME IN.."

Indy Talent

Status

Had surgery last week and stuck at home for another week plus. Trying to start a little side project for the next weekly competition at another place I post at, and because if I don't fucking book WCW 99 post Fingerpoke before my life ends, I'll be forever bitter haha. It will be very much a recapped style show when it gets started, so I can focus on booking and longevity versus show writing quality. I genuinely will write the TTO sequel at some point and finish the Greatest Hits, I swear. But I need to write me some 1999 too!

I also do want to try and give some feedback to some people as well in my downtime because well, I have a lot of it. Deco & Slang, OMB, you are two projects I'm going to get to, but I'll probably be jumping in cold turkey, so forgive me for not having much understanding about what is going on. Does anyone else have any recommendations, that is not your own work, for stuff to read or deserving of some Szumi love (and obvious constructive criticism :P)
    Last edited by Zoom-E; 09-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Shoulder To Shoulder

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Sorry for never replying to this sooner. Kept meaning to, and kept getting sidetracked by other things. Honestly, there's not a whole lot more I can add that hasn't already been said, but personally, I've always found that having an end goal in sight (typically WrestleMania) has always helped me keep trucking along, wanting to reach that destination and wrap up a number of big angles that usually have been building for months.

And honestly, that's become more obvious to me over the last few months, as I've been wavering A LOT about starting something new, and ultimately, I think it's because I've been unable to really lock down my WrestleMania card - something I've pretty much always had 95% set in stone by this time. As it stands, I'm being really indecisive about what direction to go with certain matches, which of course, has a knock on effect down the card,

This is something I've always wanted to do, but never went through with, as I worry it'll ruin my plans - BUT - it's definitely something worth doing in order to create a challenge for yourself by having to switch up plans due to an injury. I've always taken the easy way out and written people out due to injury when it suited me, but I might just give the random injury a try soon.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    Had surgery last week and stuck at home for another week plus. Trying to start a little side project for the next weekly competition at another place I post at, and because if I don't fucking book WCW 99 post Fingerpoke before my life ends, I'll be forever bitter haha. It will be very much a recapped style show when it gets started, so I can focus on booking and longevity versus show writing quality. I genuinely will write the TTO sequel at some point and finish the Greatest Hits, I swear. But I need to write me some 1999 too!

I also do want to try and give some feedback to some people as well in my downtime because well, I have a lot of it. Deco & Slang, OMB, you are two projects I'm going to get to, but I'll probably be jumping in cold turkey, so forgive me for not having much understanding about what is going on. Does anyone else have any recommendations, that is not your own work, for stuff to read or deserving of some Szumi love (and obvious constructive criticism :P)
    Hope the surgery went well and I wish you nothing but good vibes and a strong recovery!

Would be much appreciated buddy! =) I think you might have actually reviewed one of our very first shows so be interesting to hear what you think now for sure.

I'd say Chaddes & Homie D Clown is two that are fairly new-ish and are two that I'm enjoying personally.

Also, if you enjoy a good meeting and some YouTube clips, I know just the booker for you! =P

"LET ME IN.."

Serious Professional

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    OMB and Deco/Skeng you've already mentioned are are worth taking a look at, but I'd also recommend reading BattleTank's Wrestlemania which handed him a much deserved BTBOTM award, and of the more active threads at the moment, I've really enjoyed Chaddes, Shade and Homie D Clown, and I'm very intrigued by where Jman goes once he builds up a little momentum. It'd be worth checking in on what you've missed with Bigmc as well even though he isn't posting as much as he was, as in particular there was a fun development with Hugh Morrus of all people. And I can't remember if you read it at the time, but I'm still gutted that DieselsKnee's Kings of Wrestling thread appears to have died, because it was legit one of the best things I've read on here.

But in truth, I've fallen quite far behind myself so I'm sure I've missed out a bunch of very worthwhile threads. These are just the ones that stand out to me atm.

Page 718 of 720 FirstFirst ... 218618668708716717718719720 LastLast

Thread Information