Page 676 of 679 FirstFirst ... 176576626666674675676677678 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,520 of 13562

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

Huggin' It Out!

Status

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    The AEW threads slightly disappointed me, there was no build up, and just thrown together titles/matches/rosters all over. They were right with their approach in real life with not revealing their whole hand in a single day, especially when their next event is several months away. I would've liked to see more storytelling and more logical decision making.
    Head, meet nail.

Best of luck to you all though

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hug Life View Post
    Head, meet nail.

Best of luck to you all though
    Quoted again for emphasis.

I said my speech in the one thread of the Booker whose stuff I read and think has potential to do pretty well, and that's the end of it for me.

I'll just be happy if someone can come in and do a created/start up fed like AEW and not do all these cliches and actually build something organically.

Days like today make me think I should do TNA 02 again, but I think I'm good on that end haha. I've done enough heel racist Ron Killings in my day

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    United States

Happy New Year everyone! One of my biggest goals is to become more active in review threads--there is so much talent on our board it's not funny.

2019 WSW BTB GOALS:

*Continue to expand and enhance the Women's Division -- I've got my centerpiece in Tessa, now we can build around her.
    *Continue to expand the tag team division -- I love tag team wrestling, and I want to create programs that will push for the main event. Keep an eye on this.
    *Continue to stay grounded in reality to create the most "realistic" fantasy promotion on WC.

News and Rumors will be posted later, with the 1/3 Ignition coming in the next couple days too. As always, so happy to be a part of this community, Cheers Everyone!

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    Days like today make me think I should do TNA 02 again
    When I started this current project, that was right up there for me. I worked it down to WWE 2003, WCW 1999 and TNA 2002. I'm happy with my choice, but every now and then I get a real urge to do build something from nothing, rather than taking existing crap and making it (hopefully) better.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    When I started this current project, that was right up there for me. I worked it down to WWE 2003, WCW 1999 and TNA 2002. I'm happy with my choice, but every now and then I get a real urge to do build something from nothing, rather than taking existing crap and making it (hopefully) better.
    WCW 99 from the Fingerpoke is my IDEAL time to do a BTB. WCW as a company was still so salvageable, and the FP actually could've been turned into an AMAZING storyline to finally kill the nWo off right once and for all.

However, every time I've considered it, I found myself quickly overwhelmed by the amount of shows and roster. In my old age, I REALLY struggle with the mental fatigue of having to write two weekly shows.

The other thing I've seen people really fuck up with that timeframe is being way too Smarktastic and just immediately inserting guys like Jericho and Booker T into the main event. You need to do shit organically, and hardly anyone does that. It's all about that big early pop and not developing a God damn thing sensibly. It's why Wolfy has always been so great. His writing is superb sure, but his booking - getting that one show pop with the long arc beauty - is unrivaled from my time here and that other place. Stojy though is another cat who has shown some amazing short and long term booking.

I used to be able to do that shit, but now I'm old :P

Charismatic Enigma

Status

I saw something in here about writing resolution that I cannot find to quote..

Mine is definitely sticking to the project I am working on. I think I stayed with 205 for a good amount of time, but I would like to see myself really stay with this for a while. Also, everyone talks about a Invasion booker not being the greatest or fixing what happened in real life. So that's the big goal here. But the backstory posts, show previews, and first week of shows done and edited. And I feel..

"If you're gonna do it..."

BRAUUUUUUN

Status

In terms of realistic BTB goals, I really want to be more active here again. My schedule is gonna be hectic IRL, but I should realistically have a good amount of downtime, and personally feel like out of 4 projects I've done on here, I'm only happy one to be honest, and that was Saving Impact.

I want to not change my project this year because I have some great ideas imo, and I feel like I want to make content that makes me proud rather than content that is necessarily the most sleek or impressive to look at. I guess my goal for my actual BTB is to reach a level of regular updates without quality lowering in my eyes, which is going to be super difficult. If that makes sense

"In Becky We Trust"

Backyarder

Status

WCW 99 from the Fingerpoke is my IDEAL time to do a BTB. WCW as a company was still so salvageable, and the FP actually could've been turned into an AMAZING storyline to finally kill the nWo off right once and for all.

However, every time I've considered it, I found myself quickly overwhelmed by the amount of shows and roster. In my old age, I REALLY struggle with the mental fatigue of having to write two weekly shows.

The other thing I've seen people really fuck up with that timeframe is being way too Smarktastic and just immediately inserting guys like Jericho and Booker T into the main event. You need to do shit organically, and hardly anyone does that. It's all about that big early pop and not developing a God damn thing sensibly. It's why Wolfy has always been so great. His writing is superb sure, but his booking - getting that one show pop with the long arc beauty - is unrivaled from my time here and that other place. Stojy though is another cat who has shown some amazing short and long term booking.

I can't agree more Zoom, WCW 99 is a gold mine of opportunity, as the company had arguably its strongest (and most overwhelming) roster in January of that year. A booker that picks up the day after the Fingerpoke of Doom could be awesome as there is so much potential there. You hit the nail on the head though, so many WCW bookers I read lose me due to the lack of realism...i.e. Jericho winning the World Title from Hogan in like February 99.

There is always going to be fantasy elements to our work, but the bookers that balance that with realism really catch my attention. It's not easy, but it allows the reader to lose themselves in the work.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I am loving all the news AEW projects that have popped up - although I would say that people shouldn't feel that they are restricted just because they are a new promotion.
    <3 BE THE BOOKER. BOTH WRITING AND REVIEWING!
    REMEMBER SHARING IS CARING <3

Status

My preference is the jumping off point of early 2001 for a WCW project. Because if WCW is taken over, bought out, or whatever, then you can legitimately go in almost any direction without it feeling "unrealistic".

That said, '99 is indeed a period with a ton of potential. Given the strength of the roster, maybe more potential than 2001. But my concern is exactly what DeltaBlues mentioned - too much change too fast. The top guys in WCW were top guys for a reason, and under different bookers. Lots of those guys were master politicians. They had ways to cozy up to a new booker and start to get their way. Ignoring those dynamics for all the younger talent that is preferred just feels a bit unreal to me. I usually feel the same about making massive product or roster changes, but honestly, WCW was such a mess and did enough "hard resets" in the 1999-2000 period that its hard to call those things "unrealistic" when someone does them in a project.

Now, as for the burden of all that such a project entails.... much suggestion is to adapt to what you can manage. Writers have individual preferences, of course, but how you present the narrative is entirely down to you as the writer. My more notable BTB projects on here have been WCW Lives projects that all used a monthly overview approach. There are positives and negatives to such a format, much as there are good and bad aspects about doing full shows. But even if you don't want to do something like monthly recaps, you can still do a show-by-show approach that just uses shorter show reports, recapping rather than giving full match write-ups and promos. Adjustments like that can significantly alter the writing load that a project takes.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    But my concern is exactly what DeltaBlues mentioned - too much change too fast. The top guys in WCW were top guys for a reason, and under different bookers. Lots of those guys were master politicians. They had ways to cozy up to a new booker and start to get their way. Ignoring those dynamics for all the younger talent that is preferred just feels a bit unreal to me
    I totally agree on this, and it was this (along with the volume of output needed for WCW in this era) that put me off hitting that era. I mean, sure, it’d be nice if Jericho and Booker were going over Nash and Hogan at every turn, but it’s not happening. If you aren’t promoting Hogan as the biggest star, regardless of whether that’s the most fun to book, it immediately feels unrealistic to me, and turned me off taking the project on. It’d be more realistic to just fire those guys you don’t want to push I reckon.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Where do people get the moves of wrestlers they're writing for now the 'In Wrestling' part of Wikipedia has gone?

Yes I may have opened up Microsoft Word today...
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Where do people get the moves of wrestlers they're writing for now the 'In Wrestling' part of Wikipedia has gone?

Yes I may have opened up Microsoft Word today...
    Wikia pages tend to still have them:

https://prowrestling.fandom.com/wiki/Keith_Lee

Like that for example.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah literally found it seconds after posting.

The return of New Vision... again?
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Underdog

Status

Also youtube videos as well is usually how I find moves for wrestlers

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    I totally agree on this, and it was this (along with the volume of output needed for WCW in this era) that put me off hitting that era. I mean, sure, it’d be nice if Jericho and Booker were going over Nash and Hogan at every turn, but it’s not happening. If you aren’t promoting Hogan as the biggest star, regardless of whether that’s the most fun to book, it immediately feels unrealistic to me, and turned me off taking the project on. It’d be more realistic to just fire those guys you don’t want to push I reckon.
    Ooo no, I think just firing them looks really amateur to me. I'd rather use a mix of injuries, contract disputes, retirements, etc.

For example, with WCW 99, let's say you want to get rid of some big egos like Hogan, Nash, Savage, and Lex Luger. Flexy Lexy you can probably work down into a reduced role without jobbing him out, or moving him to a more non wrestling role. Randy Savage could easily want to retire and pursue rap or movies (ha ha ha). Kevin Nash was always a walking injury. Hulk Hogan was asked to do a job, refused with creative control, a compromise couldn't be worked out, so he's refusing to appear a la CM Punk 2014. Easily have someone be out because they want more money.

Also never do that at once. Spread it out over 1-3 months. It looks awful to me and I'm going to slam you if you do that shit all at the first show. Phase guys out.

I'm there same way with pushes. Booker T and Jericho shouldn't be World Champion in 1-4 months. Find a creative way to earn a title challenge or an almost big moment, but build it. Give me suspense! Stojy STILL hasn't put the title on RVD in his project because he wants to build that suspense, build that moment, get you emotionally invested in your characters! I think my boy Hug Life might have fallen to this trap with Neville. I went to say less than 6 months into his debut to the main roster he was Champion. I can't fully criticize that, but I'll definitely say I don't know how you get me bought into that.

I really love this discussion we're having though everyone. It's great!

Chikara Trainee

Status

I wish all the AEW projects good luck, but I'm honestly not even that hyped about AEW IRL so I dont know how these projects will do. I think for once the YB and Cody bit off more than they could chew

-ICONIC-

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RatedR31 View Post
    I wish all the AEW projects good luck, but I'm honestly not even that hyped about AEW IRL so I dont know how these projects will do. I think for once the YB and Cody bit off more than they could chew
    The truth with AEW - is that Khan is able to offer legitimate contracts with benefits. Benefits that not even WCW really were able to offer other than bonuses.
    <3 BE THE BOOKER. BOTH WRITING AND REVIEWING!
    REMEMBER SHARING IS CARING <3

War Eagle

Status

After watching some Raw episodes from the 93/94, I had forgotten just how different it is compared to stuff even 5-10 years later. It's just filled with pointless squash matches, different commentary teams and it takes forever for them to build up storylines. I guess that last part makes sense since it's 2-3 months in between pay per views, but god at all the pointless squash matches.

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Goals for 2019; to write a show and enjoy it. From there I’ll review where I am and set a next goal. I would love to say months long into a project but I know I have a bad record so Id rather set a series of small achievable goals instead.

Enjoyed reading everyone’s discussions on AEW and WCW. created feds are so fun and rewarding to write because unlike an established fed they really are your baby. It’s your company with your roster with your wrestling. When people look back they’ll also be able to say “Franchise Wrestling” example and know who wrote it and remember it easily. If you do WWF 2018 though because there may be several wwf 2018 feds you don’t get that instant connection. Only problem in creating a new fed is you need to build it. It’s time consuming from experience you need to research a lot then write how the company got put together, from founding to rosters, to belts, shows etc. Any new startup fed that goes from nothing to signing wwe guys out of thin air isn’t really something I’d be drawn to read.but if it’s well thought out I’d be hooked.

Thread Information