Page 661 of 661 FirstFirst ... 161561611651659660661
Results 13,201 to 13,210 of 13210

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

Jobber

Status

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

When I finally get around to doing my WWE BTB, would people be put off by shows going up in realistic time? I'm looking at following a real-life schedule so Raw every Monday and Smackdown every Tuesday, though if I do a retro BTB, Smackdown would be on a Thursday.

Would people be put off by such a realistic schedule or, conversely, would it make people more inclined to keep up knowing shows will be posted on set days?

Also, if it was current day, would people prefer posting SD on the Tuesday, then you could wait until Tuesday and have pretty much a full week to catch up on both Raw and SD, or would you prefer SD being posted on a Thursday just to spread it out?

When it comes to PPV's I would however look at posting on the Sunday, and not posting Raw until a week Monday, to give ample time for people to see the PPV and catch up.

Legit

Status
      Country                    UK

I’d be concerned that you’d burn out quickly trying to keep to a schedule like that at potentially the expense of quality, as you’d have to write quickly in order to keep with it. You’d also have to bank a lot of shows in advance.

Also posting a Raw on Monday and then a Smackdown on Tuesday doesn’t give people a lot of time to let Raw sink in, and people could fall behind easily.

Then there’s the annoying feeling you’ll get if you find that you can’t stick with it.

My advice is just go at a speed you’re comfortable with.

No Easy Way Out

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I’d definitely have a rethink on that posting schedule. You’ll end up, as TWG said, burnt out very quickly, especially if you factor in a PPV weekend with a show on Sunday, Monday then Tuesday. It’d be hard for people to keep up too, considering the amount of other active threads around here.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TWG View Post
    I’d be concerned that you’d burn out quickly trying to keep to a schedule like that at potentially the expense of quality, as you’d have to write quickly in order to keep with it. You’d also have to bank a lot of shows in advance.

Also posting a Raw on Monday and then a Smackdown on Tuesday doesn’t give people a lot of time to let Raw sink in, and people could fall behind easily.

Then there’s the annoying feeling you’ll get if you find that you can’t stick with it.

My advice is just go at a speed you’re comfortable with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post
    I’d definitely have a rethink on that posting schedule. You’ll end up, as TWG said, burnt out very quickly, especially if you factor in a PPV weekend with a show on Sunday, Monday then Tuesday. It’d be hard for people to keep up too, considering the amount of other active threads around here.
    Yeah, maybe I should have said, but I'd definitely be having a good bank of shows written before I started posting

As I say, when it comes to PPV's I wouldn't post the Raw until a week on Monday so you'd get a full week to read the PPV.

Personally, I think it's a schedule I could work to, otherwise I wouldn't consider it, and just wondered whether, as a reader, it would be preferred for shows to be posted Monday and Tuesday or Monday and Thursday. The former means you could wait til Tuesday and have a full week to read both shows, the latter would mean you'd always need to read a show every 3/4 daysd to keep pace.

I just figure it could add that extra level of authenticity for the reader to know a show will posted at the same time each week, though I know it would be pretty unlikely for people to read it at the exact same time each week.

Thanks for the replies, chaps, and if anyone else has a view on it, I'd be keen to hear some more.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

I’ve always toyed with the idea of posting a weekly show every Monday. If done correctly, you have the entire week to plan your show then start writing it over the weekend, adding the finishing touches on Monday. I also like your idea of posting a PPV then waiting a full week to post your following show. The only problem I’ve encountered while testing this idea is unless your PPV will be a recap, you get burnt out too quickly. But if you have good ideas and time to write, it could be done and work. Go for it if you think you can get it done brother.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- The Road to Survivor Series Begins!
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

Honestly, it would be too frequent for me to keep up I think. I suspect I would likely fall behind pretty quickly if it happened to be a time when a lot of the ones I follow here all posted at the same time, and once I fell behind, at two a week, I'd struggle to catch up again.

Personally, I try to commit to 1 show a week, and that's plenty for me to put my focus on (I've found it difficult to do a BTB and be in KOBTB for instance) and I think gives people time to catch up. It's not unusual for someone to post a review of my previous show the day before I post the next one, and that's only 1 a week.

Of course it's your call to make, but personally I'd question whether that level of authenticity is worth the potential for burnout and losing readers through sheer volume of content.

EDIT: Just seen BattleTank's response. I think committing to posting 1 show a week on the same day could work, and it's what I try to do with Thursdays (albeit not always successfully), but more than that would be tough.

As an aside, I'd be interested to know how many people even noticed I tend to post on the same day every week? I would suspect not many, which may answer my previous question about whether that "authenticity" is even worth it...
    Last edited by Keefmoon; Today at 12:11 PM.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
    I’ve always toyed with the idea of posting a weekly show every Monday. If done correctly, you have the entire week to plan your show then start writing it over the weekend, adding the finishing touches on Monday. I also like your idea of posting a PPV then waiting a full week to post your following show. The only problem I’ve encountered while testing this idea is unless your PPV will be a recap, you get burnt out too quickly. But if you have good ideas and time to write, it could be done and work. Go for it if you think you can get it done brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Honestly, it would be too frequent for me to keep up I think. I suspect I would likely fall behind pretty quickly if it happened to be a time when a lot of the ones I follow here all posted at the same time, and once I fell behind, at two a week, I'd struggle to catch up again.

Personally, I try to commit to 1 show a week, and that's plenty for me to put my focus on (I've found it difficult to do a BTB and be in KOBTB for instance) and I think gives people time to catch up. It's not unusual for someone to post a review of my previous show the day before I post the next one, and that's only 1 a week.

Of course it's your call to make, but personally I'd question whether that level of authenticity is worth the potential for burnout and losing readers through sheer volume of content.

EDIT: Just seen BattleTank's response. I think committing to posting 1 show a week on the same day could work, and it's what I try to do with Thursdays (albeit not always successfully), but more than that would be tough.

As an aside, I'd be interested to know how many people even noticed I tend to post on the same day every week? I would suspect not many, which may answer my previous question about whether that "authenticity" is even worth it...

Cheers guys. It does seem, as I expected, that the general consensus is that 2 shows a week on set days would be perhaps a bit too much for the readers to commit to. That's all I needed to know really. I think I could keep up with the schedule, but if the majority of readers would be burnt out by it then it's good to know as that's the last thing I'd want. Now to finally decide the time period I'll be covering!

Status

Interesting discussion.

Much like I always talk about "writing for yourself" first and foremost, I think your writing / posting schedule should be much the same. I know a few writers over the years who have adhered to a specific writing & posting schedule, primarily because it worked for them. Some find a specific schedule helpful for motivation, which is great. But beyond that....

Like others have said, it might be a lot for readers. For every poster who is here everyday, looking for new BTB content to read, there is another who stops in periodically. If they stop in after 2 weeks, that could be 4 shows they have to catch upon. That's intimidating. The way I see it, a schedule that might be great for one reader might be problematic for the next. Plus, setting a schedule and then not being able to keep to it for whatever reason (family in town visiting, computer down, etc) creates problems too.

I do very much support the approach you mentioned of having a number of shows written when you first start posting. That is not done nearly enough and its a great way to ensure the project goes on for awhile.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Marshall Islands

My take on this is, if you wanna make a show a week, do it with something short and sweet like NXT. It has the right length to be something someone might read each week without thinking of losing time on it.

Also if you go that way you could mix NXT and 205 up and have actually two shows a week. Keep both short, entertaining and "fast" enough to read through and there will be people, who are goin' to want to read both shows each week.

...just Rebecca...

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Totally your call Sebsy, mate.

I think some good points have been made and I'd agree with the majority that I think the issue with a set schedule brings some extra pressure and expectancy. It could also lead to a feeling of burnout but it really is your choice to make, mate.

If you've got a bank of shows and stay ahead of the game it will work fine and then if you decide to change it down the line and go back to posting when you're free and ready, well, that's fine as well.

Definitely agree with the notion that first and foremost is to write for your own enjoyment and then if others follow on and enjoy it that's a great bonus! Either way, good luck!
    Prepare for the.. BACKLASH!

...COMING SOON, TO THE "BTB" SECTION!

*** CREDIT TO THE LOOCHA BEAR FOR THE GRAPHIC ***

Thread Information