Page 637 of 637 FirstFirst ... 137537587627635636637
Results 12,721 to 12,728 of 12728

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

Squash Fodder

Status

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My own two cents.

It doesn't really work. The truth is, while it is a similar idea as Star Wars, it's not the same thing. Prior to 1977, there wasn't a Star Wars. There wasn't any sort of story until A New Hope came out. That's not true for WCW. The moment you begin the WCW project with 1996, your readers are going to have the knowledge of what really happened in WCW in the first half of the 90s. Once you begin 1996 with say...Bret Hart as WCW World Champion, Disco Inferno leading his own version of the Four Horsemen, and Hulk Hogan as a member of the Blue Bloods, you're either going to have your viewers completely confused or you're going to have to explained what happened to lead to that. If it's the latter, you're going to be quickly explaining something you're already planning on covering in full detail later on. So what's the point?

A project like this could work, but it'd have to be a fictional company or in the very least, a time period that didn't actually happen (Such as WCW 06-08, WCW 03-05, and 09-2010).

This project idea just seems needlessly complicated for your readers.
    Reading the way you put it, the other way I could see this working is with a place that has Chapter shows like EVOLVE or PROGRESS. They tend to have pretty clear divides in the main storylines, some overlap, but you can establish a story from x-moment onward like how fans tend to at least with Progress. When it's something with weekly TV and an ongoing story, it feels like you'll have to establish what led to a lot of different points or it will turn people away. With these kinds of shows, it's more open and is sometimes how people view them. For example, I'm watching Progress right now and I started with Chapter 39 onward, then went back to watch anything prior with Pete Dunne to establish the history of Progress and Dunne in particular. So I've gone from watching Dunne as World Champ to Dunne tagging with Damien Dunne to his return as UK Champion and as a historic face of the company, all without really needing to know the context from one to the other but it becoming interesting to see.

That's just my thoughts on it as to how it could work with these indie shows instead of a large promotion with regular televised programming. Unless there's some kind of hard reset, but even that would have some kind of carryover involved probably.

GET THESE HANDS

Status
      Country                    England

Yeah I don't really see the value in doing it that way because if you started an alternative 1996 you'd already have an idea of how the chess pieces have to move before hand to get to that point, and by the time you're chugging along with 96 into 97, that's the timeline your readers will want to follow, not put everything on hold to go back to 1993. Also sounds awfully ambitious to someone who struggles with sticking to a project.

I've recently come up with a wacky idea for a btb. I know I'll never write it, but my mind keeps wandering off at work to plan it

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah I don't really see the value in doing it that way because if you started an alternative 1996 you'd already have an idea of how the chess pieces have to move before hand to get to that point, and by the time you're chugging along with 96 into 97, that's the timeline your readers will want to follow, not put everything on hold to go back to 1993. Also sounds awfully ambitious to someone who struggles with sticking to a project.

I've recently come up with a wacky idea for a btb. I know I'll never write it, but my mind keeps wandering off at work to plan it

I have so many alternative ideas for projects but I don’t think I’ll ever step away from mine.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Man have I been there. I have so many unfinished, and finished plans for projects, of all types. I even have shows written for others, too. I used to be a master procrastinator and was always jumping from project to project. Luckily now I've found a formula that works. I think that is the key, find a formula that works for you, but jumping back to other projects is not to be sniffed at. It keeps the creative juices flowing and should not be seen as a bad thing. Some of the great writers ever have done just that.

The Franchise.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Thanks for the feedback I can see now why it probably wouldn’t work. Thanks also for the reality check Ed. I need it.

The Villian

Status

If we are talking about wacky/alternate BTBs ideas I'll just throw in something I've been thinking about doing. Will it see the light of day? No idea lol.

I always enjoyed the idea of doing a BTB that focuses specifically on a single person/feud, so an idea I got is focus on a particular person/team/feud for perhaps weeks-months and eventually all these sorts of feuds would end up connecting to each other like a Marvel Cinematic Universe or a Gotham kind of thing (or like the RTWM on WWE 12).

It'd be easier to focus on IMO because I can work on making a compelling story with a small amount of people - not neccesarily saying I will do it but might be something I'll consider once my GCSEs are done.

Squash Fodder

Status

I remember reading a thread like that where someone followed Cesaro from debut and it was a lot of fun to read. I think that is quite a cool idea

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

WCW Wins - That was my first ever thread (it sucked) and I'd like to see someone take it on.

Thread Information