Page 631 of 664 FirstFirst ... 131531581621629630631632633641 ... LastLast
Results 12,601 to 12,620 of 13274

Thread: The BTB Discussion Thread

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: The BTB Discussion Thread

All these ECW threads popping up makes my heart smile.

Underdog

Status

what are you guys thoughts on a historic BTB using some angles that were done in the real world in their BTB...like i dont want to write out all these shows and i repeat a couple of angles, just bc they were done beautifully, and i get a bunch of crap from it and discouraged. I have to wait until like april to start my new thread and i am trying to get as many shows written as possible, but i dont wanna waste my time if i get crapped on for recycling a few angles. obviously it wont be every single angle, but a couple just make sense in the wcw 96 world to re-use

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmc123 View Post
    what are you guys thoughts on a historic BTB using some angles that were done in the real world in their BTB...like i dont want to write out all these shows and i repeat a couple of angles, just bc they were done beautifully, and i get a bunch of crap from it and discouraged. I have to wait until like april to start my new thread and i am trying to get as many shows written as possible, but i dont wanna waste my time if i get crapped on for recycling a few angles. obviously it wont be every single angle, but a couple just make sense in the wcw 96 world to re-use
    Personally, I would blow it all up and start from scratch. Be creative and picture yourself as Eric Bischoff in early 96. After all, it will be your project and it's supposed to be fun. What's more fun than re-writing wrestling history in the way you see fit? Maybe create some new angles or matches between guys who have never squared off before. The ball is in your court.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- The Road to Survivor Series Begins!
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

White Iverson

Status
      Country                    Australia

I would never do an angle exactly how it was done IRL with the same people. Especially if it's a long week to week thing. Just seems super lacking in creativity.

Taking elements from past angles is fine. The steel plate around the stomach to counter Goldberg's spear is 100% appearing in my thread at some point but would never be with Bret Hart. To be fair, that's an angle WCW screwed up and did nothing with it anyway, so it leaves it open for further development.

Sometimes I write stuff on the internet and people like it (sometimes).

Status

Yeah, I can get behind revisiting a feud, using the same basic premise, but you gotta switch up some of the details and the ending. I can't say I'd be interested in reading a step by step retelling of Sting vs nWo, but a new twist on that same rivalry would definitely have my attention.

What's Gwarning!

Status
      Country                    England

I think if you were going to repeat angles, then just put your own spin on it man. Showcase what you would do differently!

Underdog

Status

Thanks for the feedback...what im talking about is just like the start to the NWO wiyh Hall coming down and the Hogan and BATB. After that it's completly changing up and all my other stuff is different..i mean i got Brian Pillman back in WCW...also when i say angle i more mean a moment not a developed story
    Last edited by Bigmc123; 02-23-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Cutest Gay in the Room

Status

Just a quick one from me - I'm still working on my ECW thread and will be posting the newest episode soon; my dominant arm has been killing me recently so haven't had much opportunity to write!

Status

Thanks for the feedback...what im talking about is just like the start to the NWO wiyh Hall coming down and the Hogan and BATB. After that it's completly changing up and all my other stuff is different..i mean i got Brian Pillman back in WCW...also when i say angle i more mean a moment not a developed story
    Yeah, I'd say this would definitely be fine. The formation was just the beginning of the overall storyline. I don't think anyone would encourage you to try to change how the nWo came together, because it was perfect and trying to do it any other way probably wouldn't make sense.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Yeah, I'd say this would definitely be fine. The formation was just the beginning of the overall storyline. I don't think anyone would encourage you to try to change how the nWo came together, because it was perfect and trying to do it any other way probably wouldn't make sense.
    Fuck it I want to see Sting as the third man!!! NWO be dead by 97 once Hulkamania rocks up!

LRH Tech Support Unit

Status

A few years ago on another BTB board, I posted this as my opening post in a new thread.

I was thinking about doing a BTB on the war between the AWA and WWF starting in 1984. I never got past the rosters.

I'm thinking about wrapping up my World Class Wrestling thread after the three year anniversary show in April. Not guaranteeing anything. But, this would be the way I'd most likely go if I put the kibosh on World Class Wrestling.

Does it seem like something anyone would be interested in reading?

Here's the post:

On a very cold morning in February 1984, American Wrestling Association (AWA) promoter and owner Verne Gagne was sitting and looking out the window of his office at the AWA headquarters in the Sherland Park area in the city of St. Louis Park, MN.

Gagne was not a happy man. He had a somber look on his face as he wondered how it could possibly happen; and happen at such a shocking rate of speed.

On January 23, 1984, Hulk Hogan defeated the Iron Sheik to win the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) World Title at Madison Square Garden. It was a title change that sent shockwaves throughout the wrestling world. It signaled the beginning of a new era in professional wrestling. Hogan, the hottest superstar in all of pro wrestling, was now working for Vince McMahon, Jr. and the WWF. Just a few weeks earlier, Hogan was the hottest superstar in the sport and was working for Verne Gagne and the AWA.

Hulk Hogan first became a star in the wrestling business when he wrestled in the WWF for Vince McMahon, Sr. in 1979-80. It was under Vince, Sr. that Terry Bollea was given the name Hulk Hogan. In the past, he had wrestled under the names Sterling Golden and Terry Boulder. Hogan was a rulebreaker in his first go-round with the WWF and was managed by 'Classy' Freddy Blassie. Hogan's main claim to fame during that first run was a feud with Andre the Giant. Hogan also began wrestling for New Japan Pro Wrestling on occasion as well. Vince Sr. turned Terry 'Hulk Hogan' Bollea into a wrestling star. Hogan was still not quite at the superstar level. But his star was definitely on the rise.

Hulk Hogan arrived in the AWA in 1981. At first, Gagne promoted Hogan as a rulebreaker. But the overwhelmingly positive fan reaction to Hogan left Gagne with no choice but to let Hogan become the fan favorite he obviously was in the eyes of the people.

Hogan started challenging for the AWA World Title in 1982. The belt was held by the aging ring legend Nick Bockwinkel. Bockwinkel, still a top-flight ring technician, was managed by the notorious Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan. It was obvious to everyone that Hogan was the man who was going to dethrone Bockwinkel and become the new AWA World Champion and usher in a wrestling revolution for the AWA. Hogan's star-status was rapidly heading upward into the stratosphere. Hogan then got an assist that no one saw coming. He appeared in the wildly popular film, Rocky 3, as the cocky wrestler Thunderlips. Now, millions of people who had never even heard of Hulk Hogan knew who he was. More Hogan fans were created thanks to his movie appearance.

Hogan had several close calls in title matches against Bockwinkel for the belt in 1982. The fans were salavating to see Hogan crush the arrogant Bockwinkel, and his obnoxious manager Heenan in the process, and have his hand raised in victory and the AWA World Title placed around his waist.

1983 was definitely going to be the year that 'Hulkamania' reigned supreme in the AWA! Or was it...

The year began with Hogan still hot on Bockwinkel's tail in pursuit of the gold. Fans were once again left in agony at Hogan's near misses to capture the belt. But it was surely going to happen on April 24, 1983. The AWA hyped a supercard for that date and called it Super Sunday. This was the day the fans had waited for. After all the close calls and frustrating finishes this was going to be Hogan's crowning moment. The St. Paul Civic Center sold out. There was such a demand for tickets that they also aired the show on closed circuit TV at the St. Paul Auditorium, which sold out as well. The excitement was everywhere in AWA country.

When Hogan came to the ring for his title match with Bockwinkel, he had already supplanted Andre the Giant as wrestling's top superstar. And the fans apparently witnessed their dream come true. Hogan finally pinned Bockwinkel in the middle of the ring. The fans went crazy. Their patience, as well as Hogan's, was finally rewarded.

Or was it...

Hogan had his hand raised and was handed the belt by special ref Lord James Blears. The celebration was going full tilt. Until AWA commish Stanley Blackburn arrived on the scene. Blackburn informed Hogan, Bockwinkel, Heenan and the fans that Hogan had, in fact, been disqualified for dumping Bockwinkel over the top rope just a few minutes before scoring the pin. Hogan was in disbelief. The fans were angry. All that build up for another disappointing end to a Hogan-Bockwinkel bout. The only people in the arena who were happy at the time were the champ and Heenan.

1983 continued with Hogan still chasing Bockwinkel for the belt and feuding with the likes of David Schultz, Mr. Saito, Jerry Blackwell, Ken Patera and others.

The good news is that Hogan's popularity was still surging even without the belt. In June, Hogan's star got even brighter when he knocked out Japanese wrestling legend Antonio Inoki to win the International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP) tournament in Japan. 'Hulkamania' was a raging wildfire by now and wrestling fans gleefully allowed themselves to be consumed by it.

But make no mistake. It was under the tutelage of Verne Gagne that Hogan was able to rise to the top of the mountain. Hulk Hogan was a star when he arrived in the AWA. But it was Verne Gagne who helped lead him to the promised land of superstardom. And an outsider had taken notice and was keeping a very close eye on Hogan and the phenomenon that surrounded him.

In 1983, Vince McMahon, Jr. was plotting his national expansion. And the man he wanted to be the spearhead of that expansion was Hulk Hogan. With Hogan a smoking hot commodity, McMahon saw him as the best choice to be the WWF's standard bearer. McMahon wanted Hogan and he was determined to get him.

One day in '83, Gagne got a phone call. It was from noneother than Vince MacMahon, Jr. Vince wanted to know if Verne would possibly be interested in selling the AWA to him. Gagne was 57 years old. He'd been in the wrestling business since the late 1940's. To say it was his life would be an understatement. Verne Gagne ate, slept and breathed pro wrestling. Even though he had the biggest star in the sport in Hogan and the AWA was arguably the hottest promotion in the world at the time, Gagne gave serious thought to McMahon's proposal. Maybe it was time for the legendary Gagne to step aside and hand over the reins to someone younger and enjoy his later years free from the everyday grind of running a major league wrestling promotion. Gagne agreed to meet with Vince, Jr. and discuss a possible sale.

Vince, Jr. arrived in Minneapolis, MN, and met with Gagne at the AWA headquarters. The thing was, as the meeting unfolded, Vince, Jr. didn't seem to be as interested in buying the company as he was in trying to find out the status of certain wrestlers in the AWA. Of course, Hogan was at the top of the list. The pair met for a while and no deal was consummated. Verne drove Vince, Jr. back to the airport. Verne walked with McMahon into the terminal where Vince was waiting to board a flight back to New York. As McMahon prepared to board the plane, Gagne wanted to know if Vince was interested in buying his company. In a moment that truly can be said to sum up the McMahon personality, just before he entered the rampway to board the plane, he turned to Gagne, cupped his hands to his mouth and yelled: "Verne! I don't negotiate!" Vince then got on the plane and flew back to New York and Gagne was left to wonder just what was going on.

Verne Gagne was about to find out very soon.

In December of '83, Hulk Hogan had vanished from the AWA. He no-showed key house show dates where he was supposed to be the headliner. No one in the AWA could get ahold of him. Finally, Christmas night rolled around and Hogan was supposed to headline a big show at the St. Paul Civic Center. Again, no Hogan. Greg Gagne, Verne's son and one-half of the tag team the High Flyers with Jim Brunzell, was finally able to contact Hogan via phone. Hogan said that he wouldn't be coming back and that he was going to the WWF. This was the news that Greg Gagne dreaded having to tell his proud father. It was obvious that Hogan had secretly met with McMahon and cut a deal to head to New York.

To add insult to injury, 'Dr. D' David Schultz, one of Hogan's main rivals, also bailed on Verne for the WWF as well. And in one more stinging blow, announcer Gene Okerlund, the man who fans considered the pre-eminent voice of the AWA for over a decade, also bolted Minneapolis for the bright lights of New York and the WWF.

Verne Gagne felt betrayed. He made these men stars in their own right. And he played a major role in making Hulk Hogan THE superstar of pro wrestling.

Hulk Hogan started wrestling in the WWF in late 1983. Within a month of his arrival, he was the WWF World Champion, helping kickstart the wrestling revolution for Vince McMahon, Jr. rather than Verne Gagne.

Gagne thought about all this as he sat in his office that bitter cold early February morning in 1984. And it ate him up inside.

Verne Gagne was angry.

And he was about to take to the airwaves and explain to the AWA fans why...
    Last edited by vadermania; 02-25-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Just Justice

Status

Is there a way to delete a post? I accidentally posted a show that isn't finished & I fucked it haha

X

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

AWA thread idea sounds pretty damn fun to me!

Rusev Day

Status

Jackie your show has been removed for you.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Polo View Post
    Is there a way to delete a post? I accidentally posted a show that isn't finished & I fucked it haha
    If you ever want a post removed, the quickest way is to hit the report button on it (the triangle with the !) and any of the upper staff can remove it for you.

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Fuck it I want to see Sting as the third man!!! NWO be dead by 97 once Hulkamania rocks up!

Man! I want to see this now haha. That idea sounds a little too awesome.

Just Justice

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Jackie your show has been removed for you.
    cheers man, feel like a right dafty haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    If you ever want a post removed, the quickest way is to hit the report button on it (the triangle with the !) and any of the upper staff can remove it for you.
    I'll keep that in mind sir, I was initially going to do that but I didn't know if it counted as spam or anythin like that

X

Underdog

Status

I am about to write my great american bash..i will write it full out matches and all..what do u guys use as a time marker for matches.. what i mean is like 1 page equals so nant minutes or do u just write abd stick a time on it

White Iverson

Status
      Country                    Australia

I am about to write my great american bash..i will write it full out matches and all..what do u guys use as a time marker for matches.. what i mean is like 1 page equals so nant minutes or do u just write abd stick a time on it
    150 words = 1 minute is my base.

Back in the day a lot of people used 200 words = 1 minute more than anything.

Sometimes I write stuff on the internet and people like it (sometimes).

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I still stick to the 200 words = 1 minute guideline... Most of the time.

I think the most important thing is to write to a length that is comfortable for you, whether that's a strict word limit or not. Nothing is worse than reading something where it feels like the writer is just rambling to reach the word amount for the match length they want.

Trust me, you can tell when it is happening.

Thread Information