Thread: Smackdown Results And Discussion

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Smackdown Results And Discussion

Here are this weeks results

Show opened with a video recapping the whole Jeff Hardy angle at the Survivor Series, complete with them replaying the ‘He might be dead’ ppv intro by a sombre looking J.R. and Tazz, and concluding with Edge’s shocking return and title win.

Vickie Guerrero was stood in the ring, surrounded by security, and still wearing a neckbrace. She introduced the new WWE Champion, Edge. With his longer blonde hair, new beard, carrying the title belt over his shoulder and wearing a black leather jacket, Edge resembled Triple H a little bit. After Edge and Vickie embraced, Edge went off on a big rant about Jeff Hardy, talking about how Hardy ‘let people down’ by his non-wrestling appearance at the Survivor Series. Vickie thanked Edge for ‘saving her from the irresponsibility of Jeff Hardy’ and said that wanted happened to Hardy at the hotel the night before the ppv was still under investigation. Edge alluded to Hardy’s previous suspensions, by talking about how, ‘when Jeff Hardy screws up, he screws up.... he screws up extremely big’. This was the cue for an irate Jeff Hardy to sprint to the ring, only to be held back by security. Hardy was wearing full blue and silver face paint again this week. As Hardy struggled to break free from security, Triple H came running behind him and nailed him in the back of the head, knocking him down. HHH himself tried to rush the ring, only to be held back by another lot of security. As Edge and Vickie looked on, Vladimir Kozlov climbed out of the crowd and entered the ring with a microphone. In his Russian drawl, Kozlov said “No more games! No more triple threat! I’m here to be champion. I’m here to get that (points at title belt).... I’ll beat you up right now!” Vickie regained her composure and announced that she anticipated this, and that tonight, each of the three wrestlers would have matches in a ‘Beat the Clock’ tournament. The wrestler who won their match in the fastest time would become the new number one contender and face Edge for the WWE title at the Armageddon ppv. This was a very good opening segment. Edge illustrated exactly how much he has been missed, these past few months. The best heel in the business – and that includes Randy Orton, in my opinion – is back.

1) In the first ‘Beat the Clock’ match, Jeff Hardy defeated The Brian Kendrick (w/Ezekiel) in 12:13. Hardy won after a swanton bomb. Hardy had previous scored a nearfall with a ‘Whisper in the Wind’, and Ezekiel was sent crashing into the crash barrier after attempting to interfere. Good match, wrestled at a fast pace. Obviously, Hardy was trying to win the match as quick as possible, scoring lots of nearfalls. Kendrick did his usual terrific job of bumping.

Eve Torres interviewed Matt Hardy backstage. Hardy insisted that Edge was behind the attack on Jeff, and cost him his shot at the title at Survivor Series. He said he would do everything within his power to ensure Jeff wins the Beat the Clock tournament, and that meant defeating Vladimir Kozlov.

A video aired, recapping the Undertaker vs Big Show match at the Survivor Series.

J.R. and Tazz at ringside announced Undertaker vs Big Show in a cage match for next week’s show. Hey, Tazz had his shades on and was laughing, I guess because he didn’t have to sell any fake near-deaths tonight.

2) Maryse & Natalya & Victoria defeated Michelle McCool & The Bella Twins. Maryse cracks me up; I can’t watch her ring entrance without remembering Matt Hardy’s blog tale from the European tour of a drunken Maryse telling Hardy & co., “Do my entrance, bitches!” All the faces, the twins and McCool, were wearing turquoise. Natalya dominated the twins until McCool made the hot tag and cleaned house. Finish came when Maryse slapped one of the twins, and as Maryse tried to suplex McCool, the slapped twin clotheslined McCool by mistake, leading to Maryse getting the pinfall win. Afterwards, McCool continued her heel turn, being hot at both twins ‘costing her the match’. Maria came running in (dressed all in red) and told McCool to calm down. McCool shoved her down, then walked away to boos.

3) In the second ‘Beat the Clock’ match, Matt Hardy went to a no-contest with Vladimir Kozlov in 12:13, when the time limit expired. Kozlov didn’t get a ring entrance, and was already in the ring when they came back from commercial, so I’m not sure what that says about where he now stands in the promotion. Before the match, the Hurrapop appeared on screen, with Helms announcing his return to in-ring action on next week’s show. Hardy vs Kozlov was pretty boring stuff. Kozlov worked over Hardy for most of the match, trying for submission moves. Sometimes I think even he doesn’t know what move he’s trying to put on his opponent. Here, he just sort of rolled around the mat on top of Hardy, trying for armbars and front-face locks. Someone this green should not be wrestling tv matches longer than 3:00, let alone 12:00. Finish came when the crowd chanted down the remaining ten seconds, and Hardy stalled, grabbing his belt and walking away (what a babyface). They announced that Kozlov had failed to beat the clock and that Jeff Hardy’s time was still the one to beat.

To the back, where a jubilant Jeff Hardy was watching Kozlov’s failure, and began pumping his fists in celebration. He turned around and Triple H stared him down.

4) Jesse & Festus defeated The Miz & John Morrison via D.Q. Short match. Morrison tried to ring the bell, but Jesse prevented him. Jesse rang the bell to start the match and Crazy Festus beat up Morrison. Miz laid out Jesse with a chair on the outside and took possession of the bell, ringing it, turning Festus comatose. As Morrison & Miz beat up Jesse at ringside, the referee called for the D.Q. Post-match, Miz made the comatose Festus make the ‘loser’ sign with his finger and thumb in front of his own forehead and made fun of him. Morrison, for a joke, rang the bell and Festus briefly revived and chased Miz, before Morrison rang it again. Miz snatched the bell, and did the same to Morrison. There was a noticeable ‘One more time’ chant started, so the crowd (at least on this night) were trying to turn them babyface. Miz stood alongside Festus, and as Morrison rang the bell several times, impersonated Festus as he became Crazy Festus. Morrison then laid Jesse out with a ring bell shot to the head. Finally, Miz accidentally dropped the ring bell hammer on to the ring bell, and a revived Crazy Festus clotheslined both Miz and Morrison and cleared the ring. This was goofy stuff, but I must admit to getting a kick out of it. The live crowd found it entertaining and laughed along with the heels, almost shades of DX from 11 years ago (although a PG-13 version). Miz and Morrison are definitely starting to gain in popularity.

Backstage, inexplicably, Mr Kennedy interviewed Triple H. The King of Kings, contractually obligated to sarcastically belittle everyone else in his promos, had the gall to congratulate Kennedy on the ‘riveting television’ that Kennedy was involved in on Raw this past week. Admittedly it was a terrible segment, but after HHH’s own awful match with Kozlov at the ppv, this wasn’t the week for him to be making fun of anyone else’s bad segments. Kennedy no-sold it, played along and said it was ‘one of his best segments ever’. HHH said that he’d beat the clock by defeating Benjamin in the main event.

5) In the third and final ‘Beat the Clock’ match, Triple H pinned Shelton Benjamin in 12:13. Good match. Hardy was shown backstage, watching the match on a monitor. Benjamin grounded HHH with a chinlock. HHH broke free, but Benjamin gave him a DDT. Triple H kicked out of a near fall, but regained his composure enough to give Benjamin a high knee and a face buster. With 3:17 remaining, Benjamin tried to walk to the back, but HHH brought him back in. HHH began looking at the clock, illustrating his desperation. HHH threw Benjamin over the announce table, and brawled around the ringside area. The announcers pushed that HHH was running out of time. With 1:38 remaining, HHH went for the pedigree, but Benjamin backdropped HHH instead. Benjamin was in total stall mode at this point, holding on to the ropes as HHH tried to attack him, leading to the ref being bumped. HHH hit the pedigree with 30 seconds remaining, but the ref was still down. Finally, referee Mike Chioda revived and crawled over to where HHH had Benjamin pinned, counting the pinfall just as the time limit expired.

There was some confusion over whether Triple H had beaten the clock. Referee Chioda raised HHH’s arm, indicating he had. The referee for Jeff Hardy’s earlier match, Charles Robinson ran in and claimed that he hadn’t. They aired a cool split screen replay of both the finish of Hardy’s and HHH’s matches, showing them simultaneously, in order to settle the debate. They never said it, but when you watch the replay, although both referee’s counted 3 at the same time, Chioda’s count was a split second slower than Robinson’s initially, between the count of one and two. None of this matters, as they announced that both Hardy and HHH completed their matches at the exact same time. Jeff Hardy came out in street clothes, with no face paint on and wearing a hooded sweatshirt. Hardy and HHH stared at each other as the show went off the air, with J.R. asking which man would be declared the new number one contender.

wrestlingobserver

God

Status

re: Smackdown Results And Discussion

I actually watched Smackdown this week and only have one thing to say, Miz and Morisson are the best thing in WWE right now. Better than Edge, Jericho and anyone else on any roster. I'm not a fan of Miz but he is really growing on me the last few times ive seen him.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Smackdown Results And Discussion

I agree God, Im growing on The Miz more and more, and a year ago I couldnt stand Morrison but he has won me over.

The WWE seems to have a lot of confidence in them to be the only regulars on all three brands.

Ratchet

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Smackdown Results And Discussion

It was Hilarious when Miz was copying Festus
    Miz/Morrison are one of the best things going on in the E today

Thread Information