Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Title Reign Length

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Title Reign Length

Okay, if you haven't seen Survivor Series yet, back out of this thread.

Alright. With John Cena's return tonight and win, he is the new World Heavyweight Champion. Let's take a look at the recent title history, shall we?

On June 30th, CM Punk beat Edge to win the belt. About two months later, Jericho won it after Orton punted CM Punk out of the match. That was on Sept 7th. Less than 2 months later, Batista beat Jericho for the title. About a WEEK later, Jericho won the title yet again in a rematch for the title in a cage. That was on November 3rd.

Tonight it's November 23. Jericho held the title for 20 days before losing it again. That being said, we've had 6 title reigns in 6 months folks. The World Heavyweight Title seems like a revolving door lately. My question is: do you like when the title changes hands frequently? Or do you prefer longer reigns?

The WWE title, for example, has changed hands 5 times since September of 2006. Granted, 3 of those changes were all in the same night between Orton and Triple H (No Mercy 2007). Trips held the title for nearly 7 months until losing it tonight.

So, what do you think about these two different reign lengths between the WWE Title and World Heavyweight Title? Discuss.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Re: Title Reign Length

In all reality, I prefer long title reigns, however, since WWE has been piss poor in booking long title reigns, I say, fuck that, let's stick with the short ones.

Formerly Randy Orton

Status

I figured Cena would win tonight. All i know is HHH vs. kozlov was the most boring shit ive ever seen before. at least the last 2 minutes or so were entertaining.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    In all reality, I prefer long title reigns, however, since WWE has been piss poor in booking long title reigns, I say, fuck that, let's stick with the short ones.
    Same.

I prefer long title reigns, but not ones that involve John Cena having it for a year or more, which I really hope doesn't happen again.

I don't mind seeing it go around with guys like Punk,Orton,and even 'Tista is getting to be somewhat tolerable and expanding his move set a tad. But ehh.

I give this title run 3-5 months. Maybe less. I don't think they are going to give Cena the title for ungodly lengths of time, again, for a while. I hope. >_>
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

If there is a damned good reason, I don't mind the belt being passed around a bit. But usually, it comes across as rushed booking intended to generate "wow" moments because the stories themselves won't. I still don't see why they had Jericho drop the belt to Batista a few weeks ago and then win it right back... that one just seemed random.

As for ideal length, I'm not sure there is one. I know that the modern era of wrestling means we won't see massively long reigns like we used to. Not very often. But the right length depends on who holds it and what kind of feuds they can put together. If they can have great feuds and make it work that they still keep the belt, why not?

Established Veteran

Status

I really don't agree with these short ass title reigns, they make the champ look weak, what happened to the good 'old 6 month long reigns >_> HHH had a pretty good reign, Im kinda glad he lost it, now that Edge is back Im hoping he has it for a lenghthy period of time, having vicky on his side and all ^^
    Gosh vickie, how could you take him back?

And when there is no hope,
    "I'll smoke some crack, I'll shoot some dope!"
    When theres no enemies,
    "I sit and stare at my T.V.
    and in my ignorance,
    I'll be a slave and sycophant!"

Curtain Jerker

Status

Re: Title Reign Length *Spoilers*

I would rather see longer title reigns, otherwise is degrades the title & as proxy said makes the champ look week. I do think if in the right storyline a shorter reign can work out, but not usually.

Basic B*tches

Status

It's harder to book longer title reigns due to all the PPVs and television time that was not available to us in the old days..

I like longer title reigns but you have to be very creative. Case in point, you generally know that if a challenger who had only been built up for the month prior to his title match and is otherwise not really over with the live audience.. that guy is going to lose come the PPV..

These short reigns of late.. I can deal with. I would have rather seen John Cena show up and kick Jericho's ass but Jericho escape with a DQ loss.. but they weren't going to do that in Boston.

Edge's title win was magnificent. The booking in the last two minutes was flawless.

Freakshow Extraordinaire

Status
    Down At The Bottom Of The Garden, Among The Birds & The Bees.
      Country                    UK

My only question is: Why is Cena the only guy on the entire roster who wins in his hometown?

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Half Boy View Post
    My only question is: Why is Cena the only guy on the entire roster who wins in his hometown?
    what about regal? He just won in England

Freakshow Extraordinaire

Status
    Down At The Bottom Of The Garden, Among The Birds & The Bees.
      Country                    UK

Yes, because England is a town.

WAKE UP

Status

Titles are long past meaningless in the wwe.

Broadcast Journalist

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KillSteve View Post
    Titles are long past meaningless in the wwe.
    Care to elaborate?

WAKE UP

Status

There's not much to elaborate on, titles mean shit these days in the wwe. Look at the last couple of months: We had Batista win at Cyber Sunday (in a horrible match at that) only for him to lose it a week later on RAW in a steel cage (another stipulation which means fuck all) right back to Jericho, who then goes on to lose it a month later to a guy who hasn't wrestled in months.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Half Boy View Post
    Yes, because England is a town.
    Yeah. That's kind of like saying Edge won a title in his hometown of Canada, or Batista in his hometown of United States... (Yes, I realize it was not in Canada last night..just using it as an example)

However, they due tend to treat it as a hometown win if the wrestler, or now the politically correct term, "entertainer", is from another country, and wins in that country.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Basic B*tches

Status

Quote Originally Posted by KillSteve View Post
    There's not much to elaborate on, titles mean shit these days in the wwe. Look at the last couple of months: We had Batista win at Cyber Sunday (in a horrible match at that) only for him to lose it a week later on RAW in a steel cage (another stipulation which means fuck all) right back to Jericho, who then goes on to lose it a month later to a guy who hasn't wrestled in months.
    So.. lets get this straight.. titles should never change hands over a couple week span because it makes them look meaningless.. How exactly?

If wrestler X defeats wrestler Y and they have a rematch and the result is different.. Doesn't that make both men look equal?

if a guy like Goldberg is running through people every week, no selling, it's far far more damaging to the credibility of the title and the promotion as a whole..

Chikara Trainee

Status

Short term title vs long term title?

It doesnt mean a lick of difference, World titles in pro wrestling mean jack shit, its true. Everything is a work, the title is just a symbol of "your the guy who we think will bring in crowds right now" thats it. If they hot shot titles (which they always have look at the title holders from 97-99) its all part of a long term plan to get Wrestler X to be champion without beating Wrestler Y so they can start a program.

its booking 101

Television Guru!

Status

I'm all for longer reigns as long as they do it well. Cena's reign wasn't really "long" if you consider how many times it'd been taken from him (what was it, 2, 3?) since bringing it to Raw.

Cena at least didn't take the cheap way out to keep the title, like most do, or have in the past, which gives him a bit of credibility, at least to me.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    England

I actually prefer the long reign, it makes the champion look much more credible when he has taken on all comers.

The best set of short term title reigns was when The Rock and Mankind were swapping the title, the feud was booked fantastically(well apart from that terrible camera shot at the end of the empty arena match) and didnt take anything away from either wrestler.

Hi, I'm literate.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Escavayne View Post
    Yeah. That's kind of like saying Edge won a title in his hometown of Canada, or Batista in his hometown of United States... (Yes, I realize it was not in Canada last night..just using it as an example)

However, they due tend to treat it as a hometown win if the wrestler, or now the politically correct term, "entertainer", is from another country, and wins in that country.
    And to be fair, Manchester is the closest you're likely to get a WWE show to Regal's actual hometown of Blackpool.

I like title changes, but the world title changes over the past few months have been ridiculous. Starting with the ridiculous sidelining of CM Punk (and then bringing him back in the midcard with apparantly absolutely no desire to ever hold the title again) and most recently with the ridiculous booking of Cena taking the title on his first match back off of a shit hot heel with what could have been a really good an interesting heel title reign.

My favourite title reign has to be JBL's back on Smackdown, it was epic, and really well written (imo, anyway!). Just the way he came so close to losing it so many times, then dropped it for the huge pop at Mania.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information