Thread: What would you do to boost ratings

Best There Will Ever Be

Status

What would you do to boost ratings

So my next question would have to be "How would you boost the ratings?" The Scenario is: Episodes of RAW does less than a 3 for a few weeks now Vince decides to hire you as a creative writer. He gives you full control over the WWE product- What would you do? Roster shake ups? One brand?? How would you like your WWE to be? So the question is how do you like your wrestling and how would you do it if you were a WWE writer?

I know there have been similar threads- so feel free to merge!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Say Hello To My Little FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Re: What would you do to boost ratings

Hire Vince Russo.

Failing that (!) I would just instruct creative to get back to basics. Look at Wrestlemania next year, come up with card you want and where you want to go. Who you want to establish to freshen up the main event scene, and build logically and slowly toward that using the stepping stones of the big PPV's (Summerslam, SSeries and Rumble).

Then the company can look to come out of Mania next year with a fresher look with better planned feuds.

At the moment it just smacks of desperation on the fly booking which, long term, does nothing. They need a long term goal/plan, and definitely not a short term ratings fix.

God

Status

Hmmm, i seen last post by Tyler Durden & said to myself "Hire Vince Russo." :D I was right.
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

WWWYKI!

Status
      Country                    uk_wales=Wales

Give away one meeellion dollars to a viewer

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I would put the brand extension on "Full Lockdown", meaning no cross-promotion between them, and the only time the other brands even see eachother are during the "Big 4" ppv's. Yes, I know they did this a few years back, but I want this done once again.

Secondly, I would even out the talent between the brands. For example, sending Triple H to Smackdown or Edge to ECW, it would definitely shake things up. If you are a big Triple H fan, well guess what: you are gonna have to watch Smackdown now to see him.

Yes, this may not work, but what's the harm in trying? Also, much agreed about setting up long-term storylines. I would take a look at each and every individual superstar and write an "Outline" for them that spans a year long. Maybe some of the gaps are blank, but have an idea where you want to go with them in the future.

I would also try and create some more intruiging storylines - give the viewers a reason to want to tune in next week!

On Vacation

Status

Give away a sum of 2 million dollars over the course of the next few weeks.

Basic B*tches

Status

Differing from Jayman, I would actually end the brand extension. I think the fans and creative are better served when everyone is in play. For example, say a key feud you're setting up for Mania is screwed over by an injury.. If the brand extension was ended, then they could effectively have a set plan B instead of having to think up some crazy bullshit on the fly.

That brings me to my next point.. WWE never has a plan B. With the hectic schedule and more injuries these days, probably due to wrestling being a lot more physical than it once was.. you cannot rely on one or two feuds to get you through Wrestlemania. We've seen their big plans screwed over by injuries quite often and they never seem to know what to do beyond that..

- W * G * M -

God

Status

probably due to wrestling being a lot more physical than it once was
    No. Its due to people either not knowing how to hit/take a move or a muscle injury which is luck of the draw. Its not more phisical, its just not done correctly. Raven said it best "Years ago moves looked like they hurt, but they were done right, so they didnt. Nowadays, moves dont look like they hurt yet due to being poorly executed they do."
    The Real Rock N' Rolla

Basic B*tches

Status

I'm sorry.. but when I turn on a WWE show from the early 90's and they are doing simple bodyslams and ten minutes of rest holds.. it doesn't look like it takes its toll.

- W * G * M -

Vitamin A - I'm good 4 u!

Status

Like Jayman, i would put the brand extension "on full lockdown", helps to give the diea some credibility.

Secondly, we all know that there are too many titles, so i would alocate the following titles:

RAW:
    WWE title
    IC title
    Women's title

SD:
    World title
    Tag Titles
    Cruiserweight title

ECW:
    ECW title (but only if the roster gets paded out a little)
    Hardcore Title

Hopefully it's obvious from above where i would distribute the talent. and i would also allow storylines to develop over a few months instead of saying - we need a filler match at Judgment day, let's just throw Jeff Hardy and MVP together. Personally, i'm a big fan of factional warfare angles, like they did 10yrs+ back with DOA, Los Boriquos, NoD, Hart Foundation, DX.

WWWYKI!

Status
      Country                    uk_wales=Wales

Personally, i'm a big fan of factional warfare angles, like they did 10yrs+ back with DOA, Los Boriquos, NoD, Hart Foundation, DX.
    They overkilled that mind with shite like Los Boriquos, Truth Comission and DOA

The New Breed v Originlas on ECW last year though showed exactly how it should be done

Status

But the New Breed/Originals was for the most part forgetable and it didn't elevate anybody as a result. If it wasn't for the fact that RVD was so over at the time, it would have tanked a lot sooner. Plus, half the originals in ECW at the time weren't even in the group - Balls Mahoney, Nunzio, Richards, Mamaluke,

Best There Will Ever Be

Status

Quote Originally Posted by aaron View Post
    Like Jayman, i would put the brand extension "on full lockdown", helps to give the diea some credibility.

Secondly, we all know that there are too many titles, so i would alocate the following titles:

RAW:
    WWE title
    IC title
    Women's title

SD:
    World title
    Tag Titles
    Cruiserweight title

ECW:
    ECW title (but only if the roster gets paded out a little)
    Hardcore Title
    Where are the midcard titles to put people over without any were just going to get stuck with cena and Boretista(lol) down our throughts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Say Hello To My Little FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status

my rationale was to keep the IC title on RAW, ECW doesnt actually have a deep enough roster and the US title looks like a nursery school arts project where a 5 yr old kid stuck a flag on a belt. Besides, it hasnt served much of a purpose on SD. When MVP had it, he got stuck in a mini feud with Boretista (consider that stolen) which didnt really involve the title, same with taker, and he wrestled quite often without the title being defended. In addition, it was hardly ever defended

Hardy could bring some credibility to the title but i'm basing my comments on the current situation on WWE

Your mom's boyfriend

Status

Blitz, I hear what you are saying by ending the brand extension, but my problem with that is the following. Now that WCW is gone, the only real "big stage" in professional wrestling is WWE. TNA fans, just be quiet. Thus, there are a number of wrestlers on the payroll (Elijiah Burke, London/Kendrick, etc..) that would just be lost in the shuffle if the brand extension ended.

In addition, looking at it from a business prospective, WWE tapes their shows on Mondays and Tuesdays. That would mean the guys would travel on the weekends for house shows, then Monday morning to a show, then drive Tuesday morning to the next show. That's a lot of traveling in 3 days. And if you're saying "Well, we would only have some guys travel to RAW, and others just to SD tapings.." then..how is that different than the brand extension now?

I dunno, I honestly can't see them ending it anytime soon, but it doesn't mean I completely agree with the way it's being executed now. If they would have still gone with their original idea with the brand extension (no overlaps), then I think people would overall be more happy.

Basic B*tches

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jayman View Post
    if you're saying "Well, we would only have some guys travel to RAW, and others just to SD tapings.." then..how is that different than the brand extension now?
    Because I would designate certain storylines to take place on only RAW or SD!.. Have storylines that are exclusive to one brand instead of the superstars themselves. So.. if needed, a group of guys can travel together for a while to SD! every week but after the conclusion of their storyline they are still free to wrestle on any brand..

- W * G * M -

Your mom's boyfriend

Status

That sounds like what Batista is doing right now for RAW, and what Finlay did in his angle with Vince/Hornswaggle, and Jericho was doing on Smackdown.

Basic B*tches

Status

Right.. but I think they should get rid of the brand extension entirely and allow everyone to roam freely, because I'm a bit tired of drafts and even more tired of seeing the same rivalries last forever or shit-poor excuses as to why a guy has shifted from one brand to another.

- W * G * M -

Riley Randy Riley JIMMY

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

No matter how much I hate drafts, and how much I loathe the brand extension, it has to stay. Simply put because I can just about stomach Hunter for two hours a week, but god damn he will be all over the frikkin' shows (don't believe me...check out how he was booked on Raw and SD pre brand extension) and that will kill watching wrestlling for me!

Another reason to keep the separate brands is that feuds at least have a chance of running for longer than a couple of weeks. We will be running through about five years of angles in about six months, just like what happened during the invasion angle, if there was no limit to the shows guys were on.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I'd bring a old superstar back in the most brutal way.
    Have some of the best superstars to wrestle with bunch of girls and lose. And have a suspension as the outcome for the loser..

I got no clue! I wouldn't be doing any better job than the actual writers :D

Thread Information