Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1120

Thread: Box Office - Updated Every Monday

The Waffle King

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Box Office - Updated Every Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Damn, Jumanji's kicking some major ass. I may have to go see it at this rate.
    I’ve heard nothing but good things about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

I'm probably gonna give it a whirl in a couple of weeks if I don't see TLJ again.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Damn, Jumanji's kicking some major ass. I may have to go see it at this rate.
    I saw it and slept through 20 minutes of it. While it wasn't bad and white funny at times I think I was too tired to watch. The rock and Jack black did amazing the whole time. I didn't hate it and thought it was a decent follow up to the original. So over all that's a win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Didn’t hate it is probably enough for me to go see it tomorrow.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Didn’t hate it is probably enough for me to go see it tomorrow.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.
    Jack Black made that movie for me. He was great. You will probably agree with me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

Status
      Country                    United States

'Jumanji' Tops the Weekend and $500M Worldwide as 'Insidious 4' Scares Up Strong Debut

Heading into the weekend Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle ranked #7 on the list of movies that had never reached #1 at the weekend box office. After Friday's estimates the film ranked fourth on the list, but as of today it no longer occupies a position after a stellar third weekend saw the action comedy lead the way at the weekend box office while topping $500 million globally. Additionally, Universal's release of Blumhouse's Insidious: The Last Key finished with a strong second place debut and even outperformed the franchise's third installment as 2018 is officially underway and off to a solid start.

With an estimated $36 million, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle finished #1 at the weekend box office for the first time since releasing on December 20. With a domestic cume that now stands at $244.3 million, the film serves as the highest grossing live action release of all-time for star Kevin Hart and is the second largest live action release for Dwayne Johnson behind only Furious 7's massive $353 million domestic haul and it's showing little sign of slowing down after dropping just 28% this weekend.

Internationally, Jumanji brought in an estimated $70 million, pushing its international cume to $275 million for a global tally reaching $514 million. The film now places within the top 20 among films released in 2017 with a release in China set for next weekend followed by an early April release in Japan.

In second place with an impressive $29.26 million, Insidious: The Last Key delivered the second largest debut of the franchise, topping the third chapter by over $7 million. It's also the ninth largest opening for a Blumhouse Production, just topping the $29 million opening for Paranormal Activity 4. The franchise has now grossed over $400 million worldwide.

Looking ahead, a domestic run around $55-67 million seems likely when looking at the multipliers for previous Insidious and Paranormal Activity sequels. The Last Key received a "B-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, the lowest audience score of the franchise, and opening weekend exit polls show the film playing to an audience that was 51% female vs. 49% male, of which 41% of the audience was over the age of 25. This is similar to Chapter 3, which was 54% female and 40% were over the age of 25.

Internationally, Insidious: The Last Key brought in an estimated $201. million, which is the highest opening take for any of the four films for the same group of 33 markets. Leading the charge was a $4.1 million opening in Mexico followed by France ($2.2m), Germany ($2m), Malaysia ($1.6m), India ($1.3m) and Spain ($1.2m). The film opens in the UK next weekend followed by releases in Russia, Brazil and Italy on January 18, South Korea at the end of the month and Australia in early February.

Finishing third, Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi delivered an estimated $23.5 million, pushing the film's domestic cume to $572.5 million. It remains the sixth largest domestic release of all-time and won't challenge for a spot in the top five until it can top The Avengers' $623 million performance from 2012. Internationally, the film added another $64.7 million for an international gross totaling $632.7 million and a worldwide gross over $1.2 billion. The film now ranks as the 13th largest worldwide release of all-time, passing Captain America: Civil War ($1.153 billion) and Minions ($1.159 billion) this weekend.

Notable this weekend was The Last Jedi's debut in China, which is estimated at $28.7 million. This ranks behind the $30 million opening weekend for Rogue One, which finished with $69.4 million in China, and well behind the $52.3 million debut for Force Awakens, which grossed nearly $125 million in China.

Fox's The Greatest Showman continues to hold strong, dropping just 11% this weekend for a third place finish with an estimated $13.8 million for a $75.9 million domestic total thus far. The film is now looking at a $100+ million domestic performance. Internationally, the film added another $24 million this weekend from 74 markets bringing its international cume just shy of $75 million for a global tally topping $150 million.

Universal's Pitch Perfect 3 rounds out the top five with an estimated $10.2 million for a domestic cume that now totals $85.9 million. Internationally the film brought in another $18.1 million this weekend for an international total reaching $55 million and a $141 million global tally.

Outside the top five, STX delivered Molly's Game nationwide this weekend, expanding into 1,608 locations (+1,337) where it brought in an estimated $7 million, which is right on expectation. The film has benefit from strong critical reviews and just this week received PGA, WGA and ACE nominations and will be among the nominees at tonight's Golden Globe Awards with two nominations. Molly's Game's domestic total currently stands at $14.2 million after 14 days in release.

Right behind Molly's Game is Focus' Darkest Hour with an estimated $6.35 million as it continued to expand this weekend, playing in 1,733 theaters (+790). The film's domestic cume currently stands at $28.3 million and is also looking to benefit from awards season as star Gary Oldman is expected to take home a Golden Globe tonight, not to mention is a strong favorite to win his first Oscar this year. The film also added six new international markets this weekend where it brought in an estimated $1.8 million bringing its worldwide cume to $35.8 million.

Outside the top ten, Neon's I, Tonya brought in an estimated $2.4 million after expanding into 242 theaters (+193). The film's next expansion will see it reach ~500 locations starting January 12.

Additionally, Steven Spielberg's much-talked about film The Post brought in an estimated $1.7 million from just 36 locations for a chart-topping $47,222 per theater average. The film will expand nationwide next weekend into ~2,800 locations. Tracking as of a few days ago anticipated a $18-24 million expansion next weekend, but given the film's strong performance this weekend we could see those numbers increase over the coming days.

The second best per theater average for the weekend belongs to Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread, which brought in an estimated $245,000 from six locations for a $40,833 average. Next week, the film is looking to expand into approximately 50 theaters.

One final international note finds Kingsman: The Golden Circle making its debut in Japan with an estimated $4.3 million, which pushes the film's international cume over $300 million for a global cume over $400 million, nearly on par with the first film's $414.3 million worldwide tally.

Looking at the weekend overall it's a tough apples-to-apples comparison based on when New Year's day falls. That said, looking at direct comparisons in 2007 and 2001, both saw the top twelve deliver a combined $104.4 million compared to this weekend's $148.5 million. Of course, the conversation right now is looking closely at estimated tickets sold after 2017 finished with just 1.239 billion estimated tickets sold, placing a disappointing 26th all-time. That said, using average ticket sales, the ~16.6 million tickets for the top twelve this weekend does beat the ~15.18 million sold in 2007, but falls short of the ~18.45 million sold in 2001. Whether this is a fair assessment of the weekend overall is up for debate given the multimedia marketplace, but this weekend's estimated 16.6 million tickets sold is the best since 2009 if you don't include 2016 or 2010, both of which included New Year's day.

Next weekend Liam Neeson stars in The Commuter, opening in ~2,800 locations; WB releases Paddington 2, which previously resided at The Weinstein Co.; Universal releases Proud Mary starring Taraji P. Henson; Fox goes nationwide with The Post and Lionsgate will release Condorito into ~150 locations.
    Saw Jumanji this weekend, really fun. Great numbers, wow!

Status

'Jumanji' Hangs On to #1 Spot Over MLK Weekend, Topping Four New Wide Releases

For a second weekend in a row Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle takes the weekend's top spot, this time holding off three new wide releases over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend as well as Fox's nationwide expansion of Steven Spielberg's The Post, which finished in the runner-up position. As for the weekend's three brand new releases, Lionsgate's The Commuter managed to exceed expectations while both Paddington 2 and Proud Mary fell a bit short. Meanwhile Fox's The Greatest Showman continues to attempt to make up for its soft opening, dropping just 14% in its fourth weekend in release.

With an estimated $27 million, Sony's holiday smash hit Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle finished atop the weekend box office and is expected to deliver a four-day weekend approaching $34 million, which would push the film's domestic cume near $290 million. Internationally, the film roared into China this weekend bringing in an estimated $40 million, pushing it's worldwide cume to $667 million. Jumanji's final major market yet to see release is Japan, where it is scheduled to hit theaters on April 6.

Finishing in second is Fox's nationwide expansion of Steven Spielberg's The Post, which brought in an estimated $18.6 million over the three-day weekend and is expected to finish north of $22 million for the four-day. The film received an "A" CinemaScore and played to an audience that was 55% female vs. 45% male and 66% of which were over the age of 35.

Delivering a third place finish over the three-day is Lionsgate's The Commuter, which outperformed Mojo's forecast, delivering an estimated $13.45 million and is expected to finish with $16 million over the holiday frame. The film received a "B" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, playing to an audience that was 54% male vs. 46% female and of the overall audience, 83% were 25 years or older.

Finishing in fourth is Universal and Blumhouse's Insidious: The Last Key, dipping an expected 59% for a $12.1 million three-day and is expected to finish around $14 million for the four-day weekend, which would push its domestic cume over $50 million. The fourth film in the Insidious franchise also added another $17.7 million internationally this weekend as its worldwide cume climbs over $92 million, pushing the franchise's worldwide total over $460 million.

Rounding out the top five is Fox's second film in the top five, The Greatest Showman, which continues to deliver stellar week-to-week numbers. This weekend it dipped just 14%, bringing in an estimated $11.8 million for the three-day and is expected to finish around $14.5 million for the four-day weekend, pushing its cume north of $97 million. While the film's opening weekend was certainly soft it has shown great legs ever since, delivering the best holds each of the last three weekends among wide release holdovers in the top ten. We are still waiting on its international performance this weekend as of publication.

Disney and Lucasfilm's Star Wars: The Last Jedi dipped even more than expected after losing 1,142 locations this weekend, down 52.5% and finishing with an estimated $11.27 million for the three-day. The film is expected to bring in ~$14.7 million for the four-day pushing its domestic cume just shy of $595 million. Additionally, with an estimated $19 million internationally the film's worldwide cume climbs to $1.265 billion, passing Beauty and the Beast to become the tenth largest worldwide release of all-time.

It isn't until seventh that we find WB's release of Paddington 2. The studio picked up the film from The Weinstein Co. as it looked to offload the picture before filing for bankruptcy protection. Unfortunately, despite a 100% rating on RottenTomatoes the film didn't catch on in North America, delivering a meager $10.6 million for the three-day, which the studio anticipates will climb to $14.5 million for the four-day opening. The film's opening weekend audience was 57% female and 55% was over the age of 25.

Screen Gems' Proud Mary also delivered a soft opening based on expectations. Finishing with an estimated $10 million for the three-day, the film is expected to deliver a $12 million four-day debut. The film received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences of which 58% were female and 77% were 25 years or older.

Outside the top ten, Neon's I, Tonya brought in an estimated $3.3 million as it expanded into 517 theaters (+261) and after winning four Golden Globe awards this past weekend Fox Searchlight's Three Billboards outside Epping, Missouri expanded back into wide release and brought in an estimated $2.3 million for a domestic cume currently totaling $28.5 million.

After expanding into 62 theaters (+56), Focus's release of Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread brought in an estimated $1.14 million for a chart-topping $18,468 per theater average. The film will expand nationwide next weekend with the expectation it will play on over 500 screens.

In limited release this weekend, Lionsgate's Condorito brought in an estimated $236k from 153 theaters ($1,542 PTA); Cohen Media's The Insult opened with $24,957 from three locations ($8,319 PTA); IFC's Freak Show opened in one theater with an estimated $6,024; and Music Box's Vazante also debuted in one location, grossing an estimated $3,511.

Next weekend Warner Bros. will release 12 Strong into 2,900+ locations; STX's Den of Thieves debuts in 2,400+ theaters and Roadside will release Forever My Girl. Additionally, look for Entertainment Studios' Hostiles to expand nationwide into a massive 3,000+ locations. The film has so far generated an estimated $276,000 after 24 days in release.
    Pretty great numbers for Jumanji, wow.

Status

'12 Strong' & 'Den of Thieves' Outperform Expectations as 'Jumanji' Threepeats at #1

The weekend's new releases all outperformed expectations with both 12 Strong and Den of Thieves placing in the top three. However, neither was able to topple Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which topped the weekend box office for the third straight weekend and in the process passed Skyfall to become Sony's fifth-highest grossing film ever.

Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle delivered a chart-topping $20 million as the film's domestic cume climbs over $315 million. The film's international cume added another $32.6 million this weekend as its worldwide total now stands at $767.8 million, moving it into the top 80 all-time.

In second place Warner Bros.'s release of 12 Strong narrowly edged out its new release competition finishing ahead of the $15 million the studio anticipated heading into the weekend, grossing an estimated $16.5 million. The film received an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, which was made up of 55% males vs. 45% females and of that audience, 79% were 25 years or older.

Not too far behind in third place is STX's Den of Thieves with an estimated $15.3 million from 2,432 locations. It's a strong performance, vastly outperforming Mojo's weekend forecast as well as the studio's anticipated debut in the high single digits. The R-rated heist thriller received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audience which, to no surprise, skewed male, making for 60% of the opening weekend audience. Also worthy of note, the film over indexed with African American audience members, which made up 30% of the opening day audience, double the MPAA frequent moviegoer index.

Fox's The Post finished in fourth as it entered its second weekend in wide release, bringing in an estimated $12.1 million. The film's domestic cume climbs over $45 million after two weeks in wide release while it is just getting started internationally, bringing in $9.9 million so far from 23 territories with several of the larger markets opening over the coming weeks.

Fox also rounds out the top five with the continued strong performance from The Greatest Showman, which dropped just 12% this weekend, delivering an estimated $11 million as the film's domestic cume is now approaching $115 million as it enters its fifth week in release. The musical also added an estimated $11 million overseas this weekend, bringing its global cume to $231.4 million.

Outside the top five, Star Wars: The Last Jedi brought in an estimated $6.5 million, pushing its domestic cume over $600 million becoming only the sixth film to ever cross that mark. The film also added another $9.9 million internationally this weekend as its worldwide cume now totals $1.296 billion, passing Disney's own Frozen to become the ninth largest worldwide release of all-time.

Rounding out the top ten was Roadside's new release Forever My Girl with an estimated $4.7 million from 1,115 locations. It's a solid showing for the pic, which served as counter-programming up against two new heavily male-targeted features. The film will add approximately 500 more theaters next weekend, hoping to take advantage of the "A" CinemaScore it received from opening day audiences, which skewed heavily female at 78% and of the total audience 64% were 25 years or older.

Just outside the top ten is Focus's release of Paul Thomas Anderson's Phantom Thread, which expanded nationwide this weekend into 896 locations (+834) and delivered an estimated $3.37 million. Also expanding nationwide this weekend was Sony Classics's Call Me by Your Name, which added 641 theaters for a total of 815 where it grossed an estimated $1.5 million, pushing the film's domestic cume over $9 million.

Additionally, Universal's Pitch Perfect 3 topped $100 million domestically this weekend after pulling in an estimated $3.1 million while Disney and Pixar's Coco topped $200 million domestically after bringing in $1.9 million. Coco also added $18.2 million internationally this weekend as the animated film's global cume now totals more than $655 million with a mid-March opening in Japan yet to come.

Overall, the weekend was down compared to the same weekend last year, though this weekend last year featured the break-out hit Split, which debuted with a surprising $40 million.

Looking to next weekend, one thing to keep in mind beyond new releases are the upcoming Oscar nominations on Tuesday and how they may impact some of next weekend's performances. Otherwise, next weekend's new wide releases include Fox's Maze Runner: The Death Cure opening in ~3,800 locations while Entertainment Studios will go nationwide with Hostiles, expanding into ~3,000 theaters.
    Jumanji keeps rolling.

Status

'Maze Runner' #1, 'Jumanji' & 'Showman' Hold Strong & 'Padmaavat' Takes Spot in Top Ten

boxjan26 by Jonathan Ragucci, on Flickr

Despite a 25% decline compared to the opening for its predecessor, Fox's Maze Runner: The Death Cure still managed a #1 finish at the weekend box office. Meanwhile, Entertainment Studios saw Hostiles deliver a solid performance as it expanded nationwide, Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and The Greatest Showman continue to hold strong, The Shape of Water expands with strong numbers on the heels of its 13 Oscar nominations and Viva's Padmaavat secures a spot in the top ten despite playing in just 324 theaters. All told, the weekend's top twelve was still down ~7% compared to last year as January has slowed to a crawl.

With an estimated $23.5 million Fox's Maze Runner: The Death Cure topped the weekend box office. Carrying the largest budget of the three films ($62m) in the franchise, while not an unexpected debut, it remains a disappointing one as Death Cure comes in ~$7 million behind the debut for Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials and $9 million behind the first film, which debuted in September 2014. Based on these numbers it becomes clear the franchise failed to gain much of an audience outside the core fanbase and the on-set injury to star Dylan O'Brien, which delayed the film's release by nearly a year, didn't help either.

Like Scorch Trials, Death Cure received a "B+" CinemaScore and for the most part the film played similarly across gender lines to its two predecessors with females making up 51% of the total audience. However, it did play slightly older than both the first and second film with 43% of the audience coming in at 25 years or older compared to 33% for Scorch Trials and 36% for the first film.

Internationally, Death Cure began playing overseas last weekend, bringing in $15 million from four markets. This weekend it added nearly 70 markets and brought in an estimated $62.7 million pushing its worldwide cume to $105.5 million.

Finishing in second, and showing no signs of slowing down, is Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which falls to the runner-up position after three weeks in a row atop the box office, but does it in style. The film dropped just 16% this weekend, bringing in an estimated $16.4 million as its domestic cume climbs over $338 million. Not only has Jumanji now passed Spider-Man: Homecoming ($334.2m), but it has also passed Spider-Man 3 to become Sony's third largest domestic release of all-time.

Internationally, the film added an estimated $17.7 million this weekend bringing its international gross to $484 million for a worldwide cume reaching a massive $822 million. From a global perspective, the film is now Sony's fifth largest all time, passing Spider-Man which grossed $821.7 million globally.

Landing in third and more than doubling Mojo's forecast is Entertainment Studios's Hostiles. The film expanded nationwide this weekend into 2,816 locations (+2,697) and brought in an estimated $10.2 million. While this is a bit shy of the studio's bullish $12 million expectations, it shows some of the positive signals we were seeing in advance of release weren't false. With only a "B" CinemaScore it will be interesting to see how the film performs looking forward, but if it can deliver this result at the same time Oscar nominees are gaining so much attention it could hold on with decent numbers next weekend, though its core demo of 25+ males might be a hard sell over Super Bowl weekend.

Fox's The Greatest Showman lands in fourth place and simply refuses to vacate the weekend top five. Dropping just 11% this weekend the film brought in an estimated $9.5 million bringing its domestic cume to $126.4 million. Since going wide on December 20, The Greatest Showman has remained in the top five at the weekend box office and has also delivered four consecutive weekend grosses larger than its opening weekend of $8.8 million, as word of mouth continues to spread. Internationally, the film added an estimated $10 million this weekend bringing its worldwide cume to $259.5 million.

Making it three out of top five for the studio, Fox's The Post rounds out the top five after bringing in an estimated $8.85 million. The Steven Spielberg-directed film was nominated for two Oscars this past week, including Best Picture and Best Actress (Meryl Streep), and has now grossed $58.5 million domestically. The film also added five new international markets this weekend where it grossed an estimated $10.2 million, including a #1 debut in France with $3 million. The film's international cume thus far stands at $24.5 million.

Outside the top five we find The Shape of Water, which received the year's most Oscar nominations with 13, which certainly helped its box office prospects. The film expanded into 1,854 theaters (+1,001) and brought in an estimated $5.7 million bringing the film's domestic total to $37.6 million. Internationally the film played in ten markets this weekend and brought in an estimated $3.2 million, pushing its worldwide cume to $51.5 million.

And rounding out the top ten is a stellar performance from Viva's Padmaavat, which kicked off its weekend in 295 IMAX locations on Thursday with $507k and added another 29 locations over the weekend to finish with an estimated $4.2 million for a chart-topping average of $13,188 per theater. The film's performance breaks the all-time record for the largest Bollywood opening in North America previously held by P.K.s $3.56 million from 2014.

Outside the top ten we find a flurry of Oscar nominees beginning with Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri, which brought in an estimated $3.6 million bringing its domestic cume to $37 million; I, Tonya delivered an estimated $2.9 million from 960 locations for a domestic cume now totaling $18.8 million; Focus's Phantom Thread brought in $2.89 million for a cume of $10.6 million; Darkest Hour delivered $2.1 million for a cume topping $45 million; Lady Bird brought in $1.9 million as it continues to pad its lead as A24's highest grossing film of all-time, now totaling nearly $42 million.

Disney and Pixar's Best Animation contender Coco added an estimated $1.48 million to a domestic cume that now totals $202.7 million and Sony Classics' four-time Oscar nominee, including Best Picture, Call Me by Your Name brought in $1.34 million as its domestic total now tops $11 million. In addition to its domestic performance, Call Me by Your Name brought in $1.7 million internationally bringing its worldwide cume to $17.5 million.

Next weekend sees just one new wide release taking on the Super Bowl in Lionsgate and CBS Films's Winchester, which will open in ~2,300 locations.
    Maze Runner didn't make as much as previous installments, but worldwide still did solid.

Status

'Jumanji' Tops Super Bowl Weekend and $855 Million Worldwide

Super Bowl weekend 2017 is looking mostly as expected with Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle returning to the weekend top spot after a one week hiatus with a domestic cume topping $350 million and a worldwide total over $855 million. Meanwhile, the weekend's lone new wide release, the gothic thriller Winchester, delivered on expectations with a third place finish while several Oscar contenders continued to play well. Overall, Super Bowl weekend is traditionally one of the slowest of the year and this year was no different as the top twelve delivered a combined $71.4 million, down 11.6% compared to last year.

Delivering an estimated $11 million for the weekend, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle took the weekend top spot, adding to a domestic cume that now totals $352.6 million. Jumanji is only the third film in Sony's history to top that mark as it continues to close in on Spider-Man 2's $373.5 million from 2004 in hopes of becoming the studio's second highest grossing film of all-time.

Internationally, Jumanji added an estimated $12.6 million this weekend from 93 markets, bringing the film's international total to $503.1 million for a global tally topping $855 million. The film now ranks as the 60th highest grossing worldwide release of all-time, surpassing Thor: Ragnarok. Jumanji hits theaters in Japan on April 6.

In second is last weekend's top title, Maze Runner: The Death Cure, which dipped 56% in its sophomore frame delivering an estimated $10.2 million. The film's domestic total now stands at just shy of $40 million after ten days in release.

Finishing in third, Lionsgate and CBS Films's Winchester delivered on pre-weekend expectations, delivering an estimated $9.25 million in 2,480 locations. The gothic thriller starring Helen Mirren earned a "B-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, which broke down 58% female vs. 42% male, of which 64% of the overall audience was over the age of 25.

In fourth position is Fox's The Greatest Showman, which continues its impressive domestic run, dipping just 16% as it kicks off its seventh week in release. The Oscar-nominated musical brought in an estimated $7.8 million over three-day for a domestic cume now totals $137.5 million, ranking as star Hugh Jackman's second highest-grossing non-X-Men, live action title ever, closing in on the $148.8 million for 2012's Les Miserables. International results for this weekend were not yet available as of publication.

Rounding out the top five is Entertainment Studios's Hostiles, which dipped 45% in its second weekend following last week's wide release, bringing in an estimated $5.5 million. The film's domestic cume now stands at $21.2 million.

Two of the remaining five films in the top ten (with another knocking on the door) are among this year's top Oscar nominees, starting with Steven Spielberg's The Post, which brought in an estimated $5.2 million, bringing its domestic cume to $67 million. Additionally, the film added $11 million internationally, which brings its worldwide cume to $107.3 million.

Fox Searchlight found success this weekend as it had two films occupying over 4,000 theaters for the first time in the studio's history. First there's The Shape of Water, which added another $4.3 million to its domestic cume, which now stands at $45 million while the studio's Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri is in a tight race with Paddington 2 to round out the top ten after delivering an estimated $3 million, bringing its domestic cume to $41.8 million.

Oscar nominees continued to make waves outside the top ten, beginning with I, Tonya, which expanded into 1,450 theaters this weekend (+490) and brought in an estimated $2.5 million as it's cume climbs to $22.6 million. Focus's Phantom Thread brought in an estimated $2.1 million domestically to go along with its international rollout into 21 markets with an estimated $3.1 million for a worldwide cume totaling $17.4 million.

Focus also saw the Oscar-nominated Darkest Hour push beyond $100 million worldwide after an estimated $2.4 million domestically and another $9.8 million internationally.

Next weekend sees the end of the Fifty Shades franchise with the release of Fifty Shades Freed in ~3,700 locations; Sony will debut the live-action/animated hybrid adaptation of Peter Rabbit, also in ~3,700 locations; and Clint Eastwood's The 15:17 to Paris opens in over 2,950 theaters.
    Jumanji still rolling.

Sweet Meat

Status

necro slacking to not give black panther it's due

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Status

'Black Panther' Delivers Fifth Largest Opening of All-Time, Heading Toward $235M+ 4-Day Debut

MONDAY AM UPDATE: Disney has revised their three and four-day estimates for Black Panther and as expected the grosses continue to rise with the film now delivering an estimated $201.7 million over the three-day and is expected to surpass $235 million for the four-day weekend. This makes Black Panther only the fifth movie to debut with over $200 million over its opening weekend and the third highest four-day gross in history, passing Jurassic World's $234.1 million four-day gross.

The film will most likely break even more records once actuals are in, perhaps including the largest Sunday gross as the current Sunday estimate is currently less than $500k shy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens for the top spot. The film's current estimate of $33.2 million for Monday is already the second largest Monday of all-time, again trailing Force Awakens' $40.1 million Monday from back in December 2015.

It's also worth noting after just four days in release Black Panther is already the 25th highest grossing comic book adaptation of all-time, 12th highest grossing film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and 17th highest grossing Marvel comic adaptation of all-time. This is all before considering it decimated the previous February opening weekend record and President's Day opening record.

We'll have weekend actuals for you on Tuesday afternoon, for now you can check out three-day estimates here and four-day weekend estimates here.

WEEKEND RECAP: Dominating the weekend and delivering one of the largest opening weekends of all-time, Disney and Marvel's Black Panther topped the President's Day weekend box office, outperforming its nearest competitor by nearly $185 million based on estimates. As a result, fellow new wide releases were left in the dust with both Lionsgate's Early Man and PureFlix's Samson struggling in the low single digits. The weekend did, however, have other notable performances such as Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which became the studio's second highest grossing domestic release of all-time, and Fox's The Greatest Showman, which has now topped $150 million at the domestic box office.

Atop the weekend box office with an estimated $192 million for the three-day weekend, Black Panther delivered the fifth largest three-day domestic opening in history and is currently expected to finish around $218 million for the four-day holiday weekend. The performance is also the largest February opening of all-time, the largest President's Day weekend opening of all-time and gives Disney eight of the top ten domestic openings of all-time. Within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Black Panther is the eighteenth release in the franchise and the ninth to open with over $100 million. It's also the second largest opening in the MCU, behind only The Avengers ($207.4m) and topping the $191 million debut for Avengers: Age of Ultron.

From an audience standpoint, Black Panther received an "A+" CinemaScore and played to an audience that was 55% male vs. 45% female, of which 61% were over the age of 25.

Internationally, Black Panther brought in an estimated $169 million from 48 markets for a global, three-day debut of $361 million, the fifteenth largest global opening weekend of all-time. The film managed this feat despite not debuting in China (March 9), Japan (March 1) or Russia, where the film will open next weekend along with Vietnam, Trinidad, Peru and Venezuela. Overall, South Korea leads all markets where the film brought in an estimated $25.3 million followed by the UK ($24.8m), Mexico ($9.6m), Brazil ($9.4m) and Australia ($9.2m).

Sony's Peter Rabbit finished second with an estimated $17.25 million for the three-day, which is expected to bloom to $22+ million for the four-day holiday weekend. The film's domestic cume currently stands at $48 million after ten days in release.

In third is last weekend's #1 pic, Universal's Fifty Shades Freed, which dipped an expected 56%, finishing with an estimated $16.9 million for the three-day and expected to finish around $19 million for the holiday. The film also added another $47.7 million internationally this weekend, pushing its overseas cume over $190 million for a worldwide total that now stands at $268.9 million.

Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle lands in fourth position with an estimated $7.9 million for the three-day and is expected to climb over $10 million for the four-day weekend. The film's domestic cume now stands at over $377.6 million making it Sony's second highest grossing domestic release of all-time, surpassing Spider-Man 2 and now opening the question as to whether it can top Spider-Man's $403.7 million to take over the top spot.

Jumanji also added an estimated $4.8 million internationally this weekend, bringing the film's overseas cume to $527 million for a worldwide total to $904.6 million, which makes the film the studio's second highest worldwide release of all-time, behind only Skyfall's $1.1 billion total. Jumanji will open in Japan on April 6.

Rounding out the top five is Warner Bros.'s release of Clint Eastwood's The 15:17 to Paris, which dropped 39% for an estimated $7.7 million over the three-day and is expected to finish around $9 million for the four-day with a domestic cume approaching $27 million after eleven days in release. The film also added another $2.8 million internationally this weekend from 27 markets, pushing the international running cume to $10.7 million.

Just outside the top five for the first time since opening in late December we find Fox's The Greatest Showman with an estimated $5.1 million, dropping just 21% for a cume that now stands at $154 million. The film is expected to deliver $6.3 million for the four-day weekend.

In seventh position we come to the second of the weekend's new wide releases, Lionsgate's release of Aardman's Early Man, which brought in an estimated $3.15 million for the three-day and is expected to finish around around $4.2 million for the four-day weekend. This puts the film below the mid-single digit pre-weekend expectations, and short of Shaun the Sheep's $4 million debut back in August 2015. The film received a "B" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and played to an audience that was 51% male and 62% over the age of 25.

Rounding out the top ten we find the weekend's third and final new wide release of the weekend, PureFlix's Samson, which fell well short of Mojo's expectations, delivering just $1.97 million for the three-day and is expected to finish around $2.3 million for the four-day. Indicators heading into the weekend suggested Samson might be able to challenge some of the studio's top openers, but instead is settling below even Same Kind of Different as Me, which delivered a $2.5 million three-day back in October 2017, a performance that was also short of expectations.

The weekend's limited releases include WB's Detective Chinatown 2 with an estimated $677k from 115 theaters ($5,887 PTA); Cohen Media's Double Lover brought in $69,176 from 48 locations ($1,441 PTA); Roadside's The Party debuted with an estimated $36,334 from three theaters ($12,111 PTA); Sony Classics' release of the Oscar nominated Loveless brought in $30,950 from three theaters ($10,317 PTA); Bleecker's Nostalgia also opened in three locations, pulling in an estimated $20,667 ($6,889 PTA); and FilmRise's The Boy Downstairs brought in an estimated $6,000 from one location.

One last limited release was Lionsgate's release of Monster Hunt 2, which brought in an estimated $335,000 from 69 theaters. The big news surrounding this follow-up to 2015's original, which delivered over $385 million worldwide, is the sequel's debut in China where it reportedly set a single day record with over $85 million on its opening day, ultimately bringing in an estimated ~$190 million for the weekend. We'll have more on that front on Tuesday.

Overall, the three-day weekend saw the top twelve nearly double the same weekend last year, delivering a combined $260.4 million and if some rival estimates hold true, look for Black Panther's three-day cume to climb once actuals arrive, pushing that combined total even higher.

Next weekend sees the release of Paramount's Annihilation into ~2,000 locations; Orion will open Every Day into ~1,650 theaters and WB has the widest release of the weekend in Game Night, which is targeting 3,300+ theaters.

Status

'Black Panther' Continues Dominance in Second Weekend, Topping $700 Million Worldwide

Disney and Marvel's Black Panther continued its box office domination this weekend, becoming only the fourth film to ever deliver over $100 million in its second weekend as well as joining Jurassic World as the second fastest film to top $400 million domestically. Meanwhile, the weekend's new wide releases finished mostly as expected with WB's release of New Line's Game Night leading the way with a second place finish while Paramount's Annihilation landed in fourth and Orion's Every Day finished within the top ten.

With an estimated $108 million, Black Panther delivered the second largest second weekend of all-time, improving on Jurassic World's $106.5 million second weekend back in June 2015. Black Panther's domestic gross now stands at $400 million, which places it alongside Jurassic World as the second fastest film to top $400 million domestically. However, given the way Black Panther has been outperforming estimates since release, don't be surprised to see these domestic numbers climb once actuals come in on Monday afternoon.

So far, Black Panther is already the fifth highest grossing title domestically in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and will shortly pass both Captain America: Civil War ($408m) and Iron Man 3 ($409m). The film is also now one of the top 30 domestic releases of all-time after just ten days of release.

Black Panther also continues to surge internationally where it has now brought in $304 million thanks to an estimated $83.8 million this weekend from 55 markets, pushing the film's worldwide total over $700 million, placing tenth within the MCU. The weekend's new releases included Russia ($2.6m), where the film only opened in IMAX and Deluxe theaters so far and will go wide tomorrow, and Vietnam ($2.5m). The UK remains the film's top overseas market, bringing in an estimated $41.2 million so far. Black Panther has yet to open in Japan where it will debut next weekend, followed by a March 9 opening in China.

Warner Bros.'s release of New Line's R-rated comedy Game Night finished in runner-up position with an estimated $16.6 million from 3,488 locations ($4,759 PTA). The film received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and opening weekend demographics show the film playing to an audience that was 56% female vs. 44% male and a healthy 80% of the overall audience was over the age of 25. Given the film's opening weekend performance, look for this one to finish around $50 million or so, plus/minus $5 million on either side based on comps.

Game Night debuted in 22 markets internationally this weekend and brought in an estimated $5.2 million. Leading the way was Australia with an estimated $1.5 million followed by Russia ($1.3m) and the Netherlands ($570k). The film expands to another 23 markets next weekend including the UK and Germany.

Sony's Peter Rabbit outperformed Mojo's pre-weekend forecast, holding on strong and dropping just 28% in its third weekend, bringing in $12.5 million and pushing the film's domestic cume over $70 million.

Finishing in fourth is Paramount's Annihilation with an estimated $11 million. The debut lines up with Paramount's expectations, but a "C" CinemaScore doesn't necessarily bode well for the film's future prospects, though the average audience rating on RottenTomatoes is positive and the 8/10 rating on IMDb.com is another good sign. However, with Black Panther's continued success and the release of Red Sparrow next weekend, competition is going to be stiff. The film's opening weekend breakdown saw it play to an audience that was 58% male and 67% of the overall audience was over the age of 25.

Internationally, Paramount struck a deal with Netflix last year for international rights to stream Annihilation on its subscription service 17 days after the film's domestic release. Paramount does retain the rights to release the film in China and in VOD and home entertainment.

Universal Pictures' Fifty Shades Freed rounded out the top five with an estimated $6.9 million and also added another $22.3 million internationally as the film crossed $320 million at the worldwide box office this weekend.

Outside the top five, Fox's The Greatest Showman continues its tremendous run, bringing in another $3.4 million this weekend for a domestic cume that now stands at $160.7 million. Additionally, the film brought in an estimated $7.7 million internationally this weekend for an international cume that now tops $200 million, for a global tally of $361.2 million. The film currently ranks as the fourth highest grossing musical of all-time domestically.

Finishing in ninth place with an estimated $3.1 million from 1,661 locations ($1,868 PTA) is Orion's Every Day. Carrying a budget just below $5 million, this is the first theatrical release for the relaunched Orion films and the result is a solid start and right in line with expectations and what the studio was targeting. The film received a "B+" CinemaScore and played to an audience that was 67% female.

In limited release, Well Go's Operation Red Sea delivered an estimated $510,000 from 45 locations ($11,333 PTA); The Orchard's The Young Karl Marx brought in an estimated $28,599 from three theaters ($9,533 PTA); IFC released The Cured in three theaters where it brought in an estimated $5,332 ($1,777 PTA); and Oscilloscope's November opened in one theater with an estimated $4,300.

Next weekend sees the release of Red Sparrow starring Jennifer Lawrence in ~2,900 locations and the Bruce Willis-led Death Wish will open in ~2,700 theaters.

Status

'Black Panther' Preps for Third Weekend at #1 as 'Red Sparrow' & 'Death Wish' Debut

SATURDAY AM UPDATE: Disney and Marvel's Black Panther continues to lead the charge, pulling in an estimated $16.3 million on Friday with early estimates looking at a $63+ million weekend, which means that $500 million mark by the end of the weekend is going to be close.

Leading the weekend's new wide releases is Fox's Red Sparrow pulling in an estimated $6 million, heading toward a $17+ million weekend. The film received a "B" CinemaScore from opening day audiences.

MGM's Death Wish brought in an estimated $4.27 million on Friday and is expected to finish with around $11-12 million for the weekend. The film received a "B+" CinemaScore.

You can check out all of the Friday estimates right here and we'll be back tomorrow morning with a complete look at the weekend.

FRIDAY AM UPDATE: Fox's Red Sparrow brought in $1.2 million from Thursday night previews last night. While preview screenings don't necessarily foreshadow a film's overall weekend performance, this could be an early indication of an opening that falls below expectation as it is shy of both the $1.8 million Ghost in the Shell brought in before opening with $18.7 million and the $1.52 million for Atomic Blonde ahead of its $18.3 million debut.

MGM's Death Wish kicked off its opening weekend with $650,000 from Thursday 7 PM previews from ~2,250 screens. Again using comparisons from our preview below, this is slightly behind the $775k for The Foreigner, the $915k for American Assassin and the $870k for John Wick.

We'll take a closer look at things tomorrow morning once Friday estimates come in. For now you can check out our weekend preview below.

WEEKEND PREVIEW: With nearly $430 million in the bank domestically as of Wednesday (Feb 28), the big question for Black Panther this weekend is not whether it will repeat at #1 for a third straight week (it will), but whether it can hold on well enough to reach $500 million domestically. Otherwise, while Black Panther continues to carve out its own place in box office history, a pair of new wide releases hope to make their own impact this weekend in Fox's Red Sparrow and MGM's Death Wish remake from Eli Roth, starring Bruce Willis.

At the top once again, Disney and Marvel's Black Panther will reign once again as box office king, adding another 64 theaters and looking to drop around 42%, bringing in ~$65 million. This will be Black Panther's third straight weekend atop the box office, which will make it only the third film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to accomplish that feat in its first three weekends, the others being Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers.

Should the film live up to Mojo's expectations, the performance would also push the film's domestic total over $500 million, which means it would become the third fastest film to top $500 million domestically, coming up just shy of Star Wars: The Last Jedi by one day.

Internationally, Black Panther is up to $334.6 million overseas and adds one major new market this weekend in Japan where both Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Thor: Ragnarok recently brought in a little over $10 million and Doctor Strange finished with over $16 million, while Spider-Man: Homecoming grossed over $25 million last year. The film opens in its final market, China, next weekend.

Looking at a second place finish is Fox's Red Sparrow, which re-teams The Hunger Games star Jennifer Lawrence and director Francis Lawrence in an R-rated adaptation of the first book in Jason Matthews' trilogy of novels. Debuting in 3,056 theaters, Fox is anticipating a performance in the mid-to-high teens, and our analysis suggests an opening more on the higher end, if not possibly topping $20 million.

While reviews have been mediocre (currently scoring a 53 on Metacritic), IMDb page view data shows the film performing well alongside films such as Ghost in the Shell ($18.7m opening) and Atomic Blonde ($18.29m opening). In addition, Fox releases similar in genre and theatrical reach have opened, on average, just a bit over $18 million. All things considered, our current range has the film opening anywhere from $18-22 million.

Red Sparrow will also debut in 23 markets internationally this weekend including Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Colombia and Denmark.

Third place is where we expect to find the weekend's other new wide release, the remake of Charles Bronson's 1974 classic, Death Wish from director Eli Roth and screenwriter Joe Carnahan. Debuting in 2,847 locations the studio is expecting the Bruce Willis starrer to debut in the mid-teens, which is in the neighborhood of what our analysis is showing. Using comps such as The Foreigner, American Assassin and John Wick we're currently looking at a $13-15 million opening for the vigilante thriller with upside potential.

Last weekend's new release and weekend box office runner-up, the R-rated comedy Game Night from WB and New Line, is looking at a drop around 46% or so. This would put the film's second weekend box office a little over $9 million and we wouldn't be too surprised if it held on a little better, pushing its domestic cume over $30 million after ten days in release.

Rounding out the top five is Sony's Peter Rabbit, which continues to be the primary family title in theaters right now and the benefit was seen last weekend as it dropped a best-in-the-top-ten 27%. This weekend we're expecting the film to top $80 million domestically with a three-day performance around $8.4 million.

Outside the top five, keep an eye on Sony's Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle as it continues to push toward $400 million domestically; Universal's Fifty Shades Freed is inching toward $100 million; and Fox's The Greatest Showman should push close to $165 million by Sunday.

In limited release this weekend, A24 is releasing The Vanishing of Sidney Hall into ten locations and Sony Classics will debut Foxtrot in four theaters.

This weekend's forecast is directly below. This post will be updated on Friday morning with Thursday night preview results followed by Friday estimates on Saturday morning, and a complete weekend recap on Sunday morning.

Black Panther (4,084 theaters) - $64.8 M
    Red Sparrow (3,056 theaters) - $19.3 M
    Death Wish (2,847 theaters) - $15.0 M
    Game Night (3,502 theaters) - $9.2 M
    Peter Rabbit (3,607 theaters) - $8.4 M
    Annihilation (2,112 theaters) - $5.9 M
    Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2,313 theaters) - $4.2 M
    Fifty Shades Freed (2,609 theaters) - $3.3 M
    The Greatest Showman (1,407 theaters) - $2.4 M
    The 15:17 to Paris (1,803 theaters) - $1.8 M

Status

'Infinity War' Tops $1 Billion Internationally, Becoming 5th Largest Global Release of All-Time

Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. The superhero feature topped the domestic box office for the third weekend in a row, delivered the second largest opening in China ever*, became the eighth largest domestic release of all-time, fifth largest global release and became the first superhero film to ever top $1 billion internationally. Beyond Infinity War's continued success, the weekend's two new wide releases saw Life of the Party and Breaking In finished in second and third place respectively as films such as A Quiet Place, Black Panther and the limited release documentary RBG were just some of the fellow standouts in the top ten.

At the top, Avengers: Infinity War delivered an estimated $61.8 million this weekend, pushing the film's domestic gross to $547.8 million. Rival estimates have the film performing $2-4 million higher for the weekend, which should make Monday's actuals something to look out for and see if the superhero flick managed to cross $550 million domestically after just 17 days in release. At this time Infinity War ranks as the eighth largest domestic release ever and it will be interesting to see how the film holds up next weekend once Deadpool 2 debuts.

Internationally, however, is where Infinity War made the most noise this weekend as it debuted in China and delivered an estimated $200 million, the second largest debut in the market ever based on local currency. By comparison, The Fate of the Furious brought in RMB 1.352 billion versus what Disney is reporting as RMB 1.266 billion for Infinity War, which edges out Monster Hunt 2 at RMB 1.204 billion. The three-day performance also exceeded the lifetime runs of The Avengers, Captain America: Civil War and Iron Man 3 in the market and it has already become the ninth largest western release all-time in China.

As it stands, Infinity War is now the highest grossing superhero release internationally of all-time with its $1.059 billion topping the $946.4 million for Avengers: Age of Ultron. The film also now ranks as the fifth largest global release of all-time with $1.6 billion, just behind Jurassic World at $1.67 billion.

In second is Warner Bros. and New Line's Life of the Party, delivering an estimated $18.5 million. The performance comes in on the lower end of industry expectations as the PG-13 comedy became Melissa McCarthy's smallest opening as a film's lead behind Tammy's $21.57 million opening back in July 2014. The film received a "B" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and played to a crowd that was 70% female and 80% of the overall audience was over the age of 25.

Internationally, Life of the Party opened in eight markets and grossed an estimated $2.9 million including a $1.5 million second place debut in Australia and an $858k fourth place opening in the UK.

Universal's Breaking In finished in third position with an estimated $16.5 million. We were anticipating a little more out of this title, but it still managed to outperform the studio's expectations and nearly triple its reported $6 million budget in its first three days of release. Starring Gabrielle Union, who also produces alongside Will Packer, the film received a "B" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and played to a crowd that was 65% female and 53% of the audience was 30 years of age or older.

Additionally, Breaking In opened in five international markets this weekend with an estimated $1 million, including a fifth place finish in the U.K. with an estimated $609k.

MGM and Lionsgate's Pantelion Films' release of Overboard dipped just 31% in its second weekend delivering an estimated $10.1 million, pushing the film's domestic cume to $29.5 million after ten days in release. The film also debuted in Mexico this weekend where it brought in an estimated $10.5 million, the highest opening in Mexico ever for star Eugenio Derbez.

One of the best holdovers in the top ten lands in fifth position with Paramount's A Quiet Place delivering an estimated $6.4 million, dropping just 18% in its sixth weekend in release, finishing the weekend with a domestic cume totaling $169.5 million. The film also enjoyed a solid weekend internationally where it brought in $2.8 million from 55 markets as it passed $100 million internationally with releases in China, France and Japan still to go.

Outside the top five, and landing in the top ten for the 13th consecutive week, is Disney and Marvel's Black Panther. The film brought in an estimated $1.9 million this weekend, pushing its domestic cume to $696.2 million, leaving less than $4 million before the film becomes only the third domestic release to ever top $700 million at the domestic box office.

And just narrowly rounding out the top ten is Magnolia's RBG, which expanded into 180 locations (+146) for its second weekend and brought in an estimated $1.16 million for a domestic cume that now tops $2 million. The film will expand to 350 theaters next weekend.

In limited release Swen's Nothing to Lose opened with an estimated $646,421 in 69 theaters ($9,368 PTA); Sony Classics's The Seagull debuted with an estimated $80,607 in six theaters ($13,435 PTA); Lu Over the Wall from GKIDS delivered an estimated $66,067 from 97 locations ($681 PTA); 30 West and Roadside Attractions's Beast opened with an estimated $52,078 from four theaters ($13,020 PTA); Neon's Revenge delivered an estimated $46,023 from 36 locations ($1,278 PTA); Magnolia's Boom for Real opened with $22,500 in one theater; Well Go's Champion brought in $18,200 from two theaters; Parade Deck's Goodland opened with $16,545 from two locations; Oscilloscope's Sollers Point brought in an estimated $10,850 from one theater; Good Deed's Always at the Carlyle opened in one theater with an estimated $9,209; Kino Lorber's Filmworker brought in $9,109 from one theater; and Greenwich's Mountain opened with $6,064, also from just one location.

Next weekend will see the release of Fox's Deadpool 2 into a massive 4,250 locations, which will make it the widest R-rated release ever, surpassing the 4,103 locations It opened in last September. Additional releases include Paramount's Book Club into ~2,500 theaters; Global Road's animated release Show Dogs into approximately 3,000 theaters; and Focus will debut their documentary Pope Francis - A Man of His Word into ~350 theaters.

Status

'Solo' isn't Flying So High, Delivering Soft Memorial Day Weekend Debut

Disney and Lucasfilms's Solo: A Star Wars Story topped the Memorial Day holiday weekend box office, but the film fell well short of expectations, raising a few valid questions. Was it too soon to release another Star Wars movie five months after the last installment and was the competition just too stiff from the likes of Deadpool 2 and Disney's own Avengers: Infinity War?

With an estimated $83.3 million over the three-day weekend, Solo: A Star Wars Story is the weekend's #1 film and while Disney is currently anticipating a $101 million, the question remains as to whether it will be able to bring in enough to reach $100 million over the four-day holiday frame. Disney entered the weekend projecting a performance anywhere from $130-150 million for the four-day weekend and with a reported $300 million price tag before prints and advertising this weekend's performance is extremely disappointing.

While competition from Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Infinity War certainly played a role in Solo's struggles, the small, five month window between the December release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Solo didn't help matters. Disney released the previous three Star Wars films in December, giving each a year's worth of breathing room, this was the first attempt at a summer start and had the price tag and expectations not been so high perhaps the smaller performance wouldn't appear to be such an issue, but as it stands this would appear to be a failure from a theatrical standpoint.

One caveat to that point is the live-action blockbuster landscape is relatively wide open between now and June 22 when Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom hits theaters. While Solo, Avengers and Deadpool will continue to fight for holdover audiences, should Solo hold on well next weekend it could slightly improve its position domestically. At this time, however, a $205-230 million domestic performance looks likely and its international debut isn't helping matters.

Internationally, Solo brought in a meager $65 million from virtually the entire international marketplace with Japan left as the lone major market yet to see release. Leading the way was the UK with $10.3m followed by China ($10.1m), Australia ($5.0m), Germany ($4.3m), France ($3.9m), Russia ($3.6m), Spain ($2.6m), Mexico ($2.5m), Italy ($2.2m), Brazil ($1.3m), Sweden ($1.3m) and Korea ($1.1m). The film will open in Croatia and Trinidad next weekend before opening in Japan on June 29.

For some perspective, Solo's domestic three-day debut was just 54% of the $155 million opening for Rogue One, its international performance wasn't even half of Rogue's $134.9 million overseas opening and that was without opening in South Korea and China. The top three markets for Solo compared to Rogue One show the UK opening was 48% of Rogue's debut, China was a third and Australia's opening was 46% of Rogue's. It will be interesting to see where the film goes from here as a worldwide performance anywhere from $525-575 million might be where this one ends up.

In exit polling, Solo received an "A-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, the first of the Disney-released Star Wars films to not receive an "A". Audiences were 58% male and 64% of the audience was over the age of 25.

Fox and Marvel's Deadpool 2 finished in second place with an estimated $42.7 million, dropping a hefty 66% in its second weekend. The film is expected to deliver a $53.5 million four-day weekend pushing its domestic cume a couple million shy of $220 million. Internationally, Deadpool 2 nearly topped Solo in its second weekend with an estimated $57 million, pushing the film's overseas cume just shy of $280 million for a global tally totaling $487.1 million. The film opens in Japan on June 1.

Disney and Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War finished in third, bringing in an estimated $17 million for the three-day. The film is looking at a $21 million four-day performance which will push its domestic cume over $627 million and move it up two spots on the all-time domestic chart, landing in sixth just ahead of 2012's The Avengers ($623.3m)*.

Internationally, Infinity War added $32.5 million for an international total that now stands at $1.283 billion and a global cume topping $1.9 billion, maintaining its position as the fourth largest global release of all-time.

Finishing in fourth is Paramount's Book Club with an estimated $9.4 million for the three-day and looking at a solid $12 million for the four-day weekend. The film continues to play well to its target demographic, as its domestic cume pushes toward $35 million after 11 days in release.

Rounding out the top five is Warner Bros. and New Line's Life of the Party with an estimated $5.1 million for the three-day weekend and looking at a four-day performance around $6.5 million for a domestic cume just over $40 million after 18 days in release.

Outside the top five, Global Road's Show Dogs fell much harder than expected. The family-friendly feature dipping 49% in its second weekend, pulling in an estimated $3 million for the three-day and expected to deliver $4.1 million for the holiday frame. The film's domestic cume will end just a bit shy of $12 million after eleven days in release.

Paramount's A Quiet Place finished ninth with an estimated $2.2 million for the three-day and $2.7 million for the four-day, pushing its domestic cume over $180 million. Additionally, the film brought in another $4.7 million internationally this weekend as its worldwide cume has now topped $310 million.

In tenth position is Magnolia's documentary RBG, this weekend delivering an estimated $1.1 million for the three-day weekend and looking at a four-day performance around $1.25 million for a domestic cume nearing $6 million. This makes RBG Magnolia's third highest grossing release of all-time with a chance it tops 2017's I Am Not Your Negro ($7.1m) to become the studio's all-time highest grossing title.

Next weekend takes a break from the blockbuster fare as Paramount re-teams with Johnny Knoxville for Action Point, opening in ~2,000 locations; STX will debut the stranded at sea thriller Adrift in approximately 2,900 theaters; and Universal and BH Tilt will debut Upgrade in ~1,400 locations.

Status

'Jurassic World 2' Roars into Domestic Theaters as 'Incredibles 2' Looks to Hold Strong

While it may not appear out of the ordinary, this weekend's release of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and its anticipated $100+ million opening will mark only the second time ever that two different films have opened with over $100 million back-to-back at the box office. The first and last time this happened was in 2007 when Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End opened with $114.7 million following Shrek the Third's $121.6 million opening the weekend prior. In fact, the rarity of what will take place this weekend doesn't end there as only eight times following a $100+ million performance at the weekend box office has a film not repeated at #1 the following weekend. Even more rare, two films have never brought in more than $100 million over the same weekend Should Incredibles 2 drop 45.26% or less this weekend we'll have yet another piece of history to discuss come Sunday morning.

After debuting internationally just over two weeks ago, Universal Pictures and Amblin Entertainment's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom opens this weekend in 4,475 North American theaters. The studio is anticipating a $130 million debut. Remembering back to summer 2015, Jurassic World hit theaters with forecasts anticipating a $125 million opening before roaring to a then-record $208.8 million debut. Analysts suggested everything from Chris Pratt's rising star power to premium formats and the picture's four-quadrant appeal brought in the masses in a way that couldn't be predicted. Now the sequel arrives three years later and you can't help but wonder if expectations are once again too low.

Of course, as already mentioned in our lede, Fallen Kingdom's release on the heels of the monster, $182.6 million debut for Incredibles 2 last weekend doesn't bode well for a similarly super-charged opening this weekend. Even when you consider online ticket retailer Fandango.com reports Fallen Kingdom is leading the company's weekend ticket sales, we also learn Incredibles 2 isn't too far behind, likely taking a big bite out of Fallen Kingdom's family audience.

Looking at IMDb page view data ahead of release, Fallen Kingdom was dramatically outperforming the first film beginning about a month and a half prior to release, but in recent weeks has slowed, now pacing behind the first film as well as Avengers: Age of Ultron and now trending closer to films such as The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Wonder Woman.

While the film has received lukewarm reviews (51 on MetaCritic and 54% on RottenTomatoes) the first film didn't receive the best reviews either and Fallen Kingdom has already proved a hit overseas, surging to $450 million internationally. It has set opening weekend records in multiple markets along with a $113.6 million rollout in China this past weekend, topping the $95 million the first film brought in over its first five days.

Distilling this information into expectations for this weekend, however, is difficult, mostly having to do with the film's proximity to Incredibles 2. Universal's $130 million expectation is entirely reasonable, though some might say a bit lofty as tracking has dipped just a bit below that number recently. Our analysis, before taking Incredibles 2 into account, would suggest an opening anywhere from $143-177 million. The question is, just how much of a bite out of Fallen Kingdom's opening does Incredibles take?

With an eye toward the eight instances where a film opened over $100 million and didn't repeat at #1 over their second weekend, one select example would be Solo: A Star Wars Story, which opened with $84.4 million, -33% below the $125.5 million opening for Deadpool 2. Additionally, Monsters University's $82.4 million opening was -29% below the $116.6 million opening for Man of Steel. Using these comparisons in relation to last weekend's opening for Incredibles 2 provides an opening weekend range of $122-129 million for Fallen Kingdom. All factors considered, our expectations find us leaning toward a performance anywhere from $125-145 million for the weekend.

Internationally, as already mentioned, Fallen Kingdom has grossed $450 million thus far and this weekend will add another 17 markets including four key markets in Australia, Brazil, Mexico and Japan.

In second position, we're anticipating Incredibles 2 will deliver $90+ million, dipping around 50% or so. By comparison, Finding Dory dropped just 46% in its second weekend, but given the sheer size of the Incredibles 2 opening as well as competition from Fallen Kingdom it would seem a sophomore session similar to Dory's, which only had Independence Day: Resurgence as its biggest competition, doesn't seem likely at this point. Should our weekend estimate hold, the film will top $360 million domestically by Sunday, making it one of the top ten animated films of all-time after just ten days in release.

Internationally, Incredibles 2 has already brought in over $75 million and will expand further this weekend with openings in China, Iceland, Croatia, Thailand and India. Overall the film has already grossed nearly $330 million worldwide.

WB's Ocean's 8 just might crack $100 million by end of day Sunday if it can pull off a drop less than 45%, but we're expecting it to come up just a bit shy, finishing around $9.3 million for a domestic cume just over $98 million.

Warner Bros. should also land in fourth position with the R-rated comedy Tag dropping around 50% or so in its second weekend, finishing around $7.5 million.

And rounding out the top five is Disney and Lucasfilms's Solo: A Star Wars Story, which will top $200 million at the domestic box office this weekend.

Just outside the top five, look for Deadpool 2 to top $300 million domestically this weekend while Hereditary is looking to top $35 million on a reported $10 million budget.

In limited release, IFC will release The Catcher was a Spy into 48 locations; Sony Classics will debut Boundaries in five theaters; Magnolia will release Damsel; Oscilloscope is opening The King; Vertical is opening Incident in a Ghostland; and Cohen Media is releasing the documentary Spiral.

This weekend's forecast is directly below. This post will be updated on Friday morning with Thursday night preview results followed by Friday estimates on Saturday morning, and a complete weekend recap on Sunday morning.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (4,475 theaters) - $132.0 M
    Incredibles 2 (4,410 theaters) - $91.3 M
    Ocean's 8 (3,656 theaters) - $9.3 M
    Tag (3,382 theaters) - $7.5 M
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (2,338 theaters) - $5.3 M
    Deadpool 2 (2,420 theaters) - $5.2 M
    Hereditary (2,002 theaters) - $3.6 M
    Superfly (2,220 theaters) - $3.4 M
    Avengers: Infinity War (1,456 theaters) - $3.3 M
    Won't You Be My Neighbor? (348 theaters) - $1.7 M
    That's a weekend preview

Here are last week's numbers

Status

'Jurassic World 2' Delivers $150M Debut; 'Incredibles 2' Reaches $350M Domestic

Surpassing expectations, Universal and Amblin Entertainment's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom got off to a strong start. With an estimated $150 million for Fallen Kingdom, this is only the second time ever two different films have brought in over $100 million over two consecutive weekends. The first time was in 2007 when Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End opened with $114.7 million following Shrek the Third's $121.6 million opening the weekend prior. Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 followed up its monster debut weekend last week with a second place finish this weekend as its domestic cume has already topped $350 million in just ten days.

With an estimated $150 million, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom's opening is down ~28% compared to the $208.8 million debut for its 2015 predecessor. However, given the fact the film was competing with Incredibles 2 for a lot of the same audience, this is a solid start, especially when coupled with an "A-" CinemaScore, just a step down from the last film's "A". The film played to an audience that was 54% male with 44% of the overall audience aged 25 years and older.

This big test will be over the coming weeks, especially when you consider the 2015 film managed an astounding 3.12x multiplier after its then, record-breaking opening. Fallen Kingdom doesn't face any new, direct competition next weekend, but the following weekend sees the release of Disney and Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp followed by Hotel Transylvania 3 and Skyscraper. 2015's Jurassic World didn't drop more than 50% until its ninth weekend in release, it will be tough for Fallen Kingdom to deliver similar weekend-to-weekend performances as a domestic performance around $350-375 million seems like a good bet right now.

Fallen Kingdom is in its third weekend in international release and this weekend added 17 new markets, debuting at #1 in 16 of them. Overall the weekend delivered an estimated $106.7 million from 68 total markets for an overseas total of $561.5 million. New markets include Mexico ($12.3 million), Brazil ($9.2 million) and Australia ($7.9 million) with China still leading the way totaling $202.6 million as it begins its second weekend in release. The film will release in no new major markets next weekend with Japan debuting on July 13. The film's worldwide total currently stands at $711.5 million, ranking as the third largest worldwide release of 2018 thus far, well on its way to a billion run.

Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 landed in second place over its sophomore frame, dropping ~55.7% with an estimated $81 million. The film's domestic cume now stands at $350 million after ten days in release, making it one of the top ten animated films of all-time, already surpassing the $341.2 million run for Zootopia and just shy of Inside Out's $356.4 million run in 2015. It is also now the fourth largest Pixar release ever, topping Finding Nemo's $339.7 million run in 2003.

Internationally, Incredibles 2 opened this weekend in China, India and Thailand and brought in an estimated $56.8 million over the weekend from approximately 44% of the overall international market for an overseas cume just shy of $135 million. The film's opening in China reached an estimated $21.2 million, the largest ever opening for a Pixar title in China. The top market remains Mexico with an estimated $23.5 million followed by China, Australia ($15m), Russia ($10.4m), Argentina ($6.7m) and Colombia ($6.2m). Combined, Incredibles 2's worldwide cume currently stands at $485.1 million.

Warner Bros.'s heist flick Ocean's 8 had a fantastic hold this weekend, dropping just 38.6% for an estimated $11.65 million three-day, pushing the film's cume over $100 million as it begins its third week in release. Internationally, the film debuted in several new markets including the UK ($5.9m), Russia ($2.7m), Germany ($1.8m), Netherlands ($1.2m) and the United Arab Emirates ($1.1m) bringing in an estimated $26.9 million for the weekend for an overseas cume totaling $70.6 million for a global tally reaching $171 million.

WB also landed in fourth place with their R-rated comedy Tag bringing in an estimated $8.2 million. The 45% second weekend drop helps push the domestic cume over $30 million for the $28 million production.

Rounding out the top five is Fox's Deadpool 2, which finished with an estimated $5.25 million as it begins its sixth week in release. The film's domestic cume has now topped $300 million. Deadpool 2 also reached a milestone internationally, topping $400 million thanks to an additional $5.3 million this weekend bringing the film's worldwide cume to $707.1 million. The film will debut in its final international market in Egypt on June 27.

Just outside the top five, in sixth place, is Disney and Lucasfilms's Solo: A Star Wars Story with an estimated $4.5 million and a domestic cume that has now reached $202.2 million. Internationally the film added $2.6 million this weekend for an international total that has now topped $150 million and a global tally totaling $353.5 million.

Elsewhere in the top ten, Focus Features expanded the release of their Mister Rogers documentary Won't You be My Neighbor? into 348 locations (+252) where it brought in an estimated $1.875 million for a domestic cume that now tops $4 million as it begins its third week in release. Focus plans on expanding into over 500 theaters next weekend leading into the July 4th holiday.

In limited release IFC's The Catcher was a Spy debuted in 49 theaters with an estimated $122,494 ($2,500 PTA); China Lion's Lobster Cop brought in an estimated $35,000 from 12 locations ($2,917 PTA); Sony Classics's Boundaries brought in an estimated $30,395 from five theaters ($6,079 PTA); Oscilloscope's The King opened with an estimated $29,050 from two theaters ($14,525 PTA); Magnolia's Damsel launched in three theaters with an estimated $21,000 ($7,000 PTA); Grasshopper's Araby debuted with $10,179 from one theater; and Cohen Media released Spiral in two locations for an estimated $3,682.

Finally, it's worth mentioning we are currently in the midst of the largest June ever with the month's box office already totaling over $1 billion. This is almost $39 million more than where we were at the same point in June 2015 when the first Jurassic World was dominating.

Next weekend's new wide releases include Sony's sequel Sicario: Day of the Soldado, debuting in 2,900+ theaters, and Lionsgate's Uncle Drew in ~2,600 theaters.

You can check out all of this weekend's estimated results right here and we'll be updating our charts with weekend actuals on Monday afternoon.

Status

'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Buzzes to #1 While 'Incredibles 2' Tops $500 Million

It's another Disney-led weekend as Ant-Man and the Wasp claims the weekend's #1 spot. This marks the tenth time this year a film based on a Marvel comic character has topped the weekend box office. Also releasing this week, Universal and Blumhouse's The First Purge is the latest success in the now, four-film franchise, Roadside's documentary Whitney fell just shy of a spot in the weekend top ten and Annapurna's Sorry to Bother You was a smashing success in limited release. Disney's success this weekend also doesn't end with just the #1 film at the box office as Incredibles 2 became the first animated title to ever top $500 million at the domestic box office.

As we enter the second half of the year, and the 27th weekend of 2018, the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now claimed the #1 spot at the weekend box office nine times. The latest is this weekend's release of Ant-Man and the Wasp, the 20th installment in the MCU, which debuted with an estimated $76 million over the three-day weekend, out-performing 2015's Ant-Man by nearly $20 million.

One interesting caveat to the film's domestic performance, however, is just how big the film's Friday was compared to the rest of the weekend. Ant-Man and the Wasp's Friday gross accounted for 44.5% of its overall weekend gross, that's the largest in MCU history, ahead of Avengers: Age of Ultron (44.1%) and Spider-Man: Homecoming (43.39%). However, before that's considered an issue, while Ultron only delivered a 2.4x multiplier, Homecoming delivered a 2.86x multiplier, the sixth best in the franchise, and the first Ant-Man enjoyed a healthy 3.15x multiplier. Ant-Man and the Wasp received a "A-" CinemaScore from opening weekend audiences, just a notch down from the "A" for Ant-Man, and 55% of the overall audience was male while 58% of the overall audience was over the age of 25. While the gender demographics are relatively similar to the first Ant-Man, the audience for the sequel did skew a bit older, as 48% of the overall audience for the first film was age 25 or older.

Looking ahead, should Ant-Man deliver on the average 2.75x multiplier for a film in the MCU we're looking at a domestic performance around $209 million or so while a performance on the lower end would be closer to $180 million.

Internationally, Ant-Man and the Wasp opened in approximately 48% of the overseas marketplace and delivered an estimated $85 million for a $161 million global debut, approximately +45% ahead of the first Ant-Man. Highlights include an impressive $20.9 million opening in South Korea followed by Mexico ($6.7m), Indonesia ($5.6m), Russia ($4.9m), Australia ($4.7m), Taiwan ($4.6m), Hong Kong ($3.6m), Brazil ($3.5m), Philippines ($3.1m), Malaysia ($3.0m), Thailand ($3.0m). Future openings include a July 18 release in France followed by Germany (7/26), UK (8/2), Italy (8/14) and Japan (8/31).

Finishing in second is Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 delivering an estimated $29 million for a domestic cume that now stands at $504.3 million. This makes Incredibles 2 the first animated movie to ever top $500 million, which, of course, makes it the highest grossing animated title ever. The Pixar sequel is now just shy of topping Disney's Beauty and the Beast to become the 11th highest grossing domestic release of all-time and should have no problem moving into the top ten.

Internationally, Incredibles 2 debuted in France this weekend with an estimated $10.6 million (including previews). France quickly ranks as the sixth largest market for Incredibles 2 behind China ($48.7m), Mexico ($33.8m), Australia ($24.6m), Brazil ($15.4m) and Russia ($14.3m). The film has so far grossed $772.7 million globally and will debut in South Korea on July 19 and still has yet to open in Japan, Spain, Italy and Germany.

Coming in third is Universal and Amblin's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which brought in an estimated $28.5 million for the three-day weekend and has now pushed its domestic cume to $333.3 million as it begins its third week in release.

Internationally, after crossing $1 billion at the global box office on Friday, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom added an additional $27.6 million overseas this weekend, bringing the film's international total to $725.3 million for a global cume totaling $1.058 billion. 35 films have now topped $1 billion at the global box office.

In fourth we find Universal and Blumhouse's The First Purge, which debuted on Wednesday and finished with an estimated $17.1 million for the three-day for a five-day opening totaling $31 million. This is the fourth film in the Purge franchise, all of which have delivered strong domestic performances on very low budgets with 2016's The Purge: Election Year serving as the highest grossing of the lot, delivering just shy of $80 million. The First Purge looks as if it might not climb to the same heights as its predecessors after a slightly softer opening and a "B-" CinemaScore, but given the film's $13 million budget it doesn't take nearly as much for these films to turn a tidy profit.

Somewhat fascinating, this is the first film in the Purge franchise to play to a male majority with males making up 54% of the overall audience. It was also the oldest skewing of the franchise with 49% of the audience coming in at the age of 25 or older compared to 35% for Purge: Election Year.

Internationally, The First Purge debuted in 26 markets with an estimated $10.9 million. Among opening weekend markets, the film delivered a #1 finish in the UK with an estimated $2.1 million, the highest opening for the franchise (including previews). This is a notably strong performance given the impact of England's World Cup Quarter-Final game. Other openings include an estimated $2.1 million in France, $1.48 million in Germany and $1.14 million in Spain. Upcoming key markets include a July 20 release in Mexico, August 2 release in Russia and a late, December 6 release in Brazil.

Rounding out the top five is Sony's Sicario: Day of the Soldado, which dipped a hefty 61.6% in its second weekend, delivering an estimated $7.3 million for a domestic cume that now stands at $35.3 million as it begins its second weekend in release.

Elsewhere in the top ten, Ocean's 8 finished in seventh position with an estimated $5.28 million as its domestic cume now stands at $126.75 million, making it the second highest grossing film in the Ocean's franchise.

Also, Focus's Mister Rogers documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? expanded into 893 locations (+239) and moved up a spot in the weekend box office, landing in ninth position with an estimated $2.59 million, pushing the film's domestic total to $12.38 million making it the top grossing documentary of the year.

Just outside the top ten we find Roadside's release of Whitney, a documentary centered on the late Whitney Houston. The film debuted in a moderate number of theaters (425) and delivered $1.25 million.

In limited release, Annapurna's Sorry to Bother You was a smashing success, bringing in an estimated $717, 302 from just 16 theaters for a chart-topping per theater average of $44,831. The film will expand nationwide next weekend into 600-800 locations.

Next weekend sees the release of Sony's Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation into ~4,000 locations and Universal will debut the Dwayne Johnson actioner Skyscraper into ~3,700 theaters.

Status

'Hotel Transylvania 3' Tops Weekend Box Office While 'Skyscraper' Struggles

Sony Animation's Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation continued the franchise tradition of debuting atop the weekend box office and doing so with over $40 million over the three-day. The weekend also featured a strong expansion from Annapurna's Sorry to Bother You, which landed in seventh position on the weekend chart, but unfortunately for Universal's Skyscraper, the weekend's other new wide release, it struggled over its opening weekend, failing to meet the studio's expectations, delivering a third place finish.

With an estimated $44.1 million, Sony Animation's Hotel Transylvania 3 finished atop the weekend box office. While that total does include the $2.6 million the film brought in from Thursday evening previews, it doesn't include the $1.27 million from Amazon Prime showings on June 30, which bring the film's domestic cume to just over $45 million so far. The film's three-day opening tops the $42.5 million the first film in the franchise brought in back in 2012, while falling a bit short of the $48.5 million opening for Hotel Transylvania 2 in September 2015. That said, given the competition from Disney and Pixar's record-breaking Incredibles 2, which is still in theaters and inside the weekend's top five, this is a strong start, proving how healthy this franchise is.

Hotel Transylvania 3 joined its predecessors as all three have now received an "A-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences. The film played to an audience that was 52% female and 32% of the overall audience was 25 years or older. Over the long run, it will be interesting to see where this film ends up as a domestic performance anywhere from $125-150+ million is entirely possible.

Disney and Marvel's Ant-Man and the Wasp dropped a hefty 62%, the largest second weekend drop for a sequel within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The result is a second place finish with an estimated $29.1 million, bringing its ten-day total to $132.8 million. Ant-Man and the Wasp joins Guardians of the Galaxy, The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Captain America: The First Avenger as the only films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe to not repeat at #1 over their second weekends at the box office. Internationally, the film added $35.3 million from 44 markets this weekend, pushing its global cume to $283.7 million.

Universal and Legendary's Skyscraper landed in third position with an estimated $25.48 million over its debut weekend, falling short of Mojo's weekend forecast as well as the studio's anticipated $30 million performance. For star Dwayne Johnson, while Skyscraper opened above Baywatch, this debut is $4.5 million behind 2014's Hercules, which went on to gross $72.7 million domestically.

Looking ahead, Skyscraper received a "B+" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and played to an audience that was 55% male and 52% of the overall audience was aged 25 years or older. The gender numbers line up similarly to Johnson's Rampage, while the film's audience skewed much younger than both Rampage and 2015's San Andreas, the latter of which also played to an audience that was 51% female. As it stands, we're looking for this one to finish around $65-75 million for its domestic run, and given the film's $125 million budget, Universal is going to be looking for a strong performance overseas as they hope to have positioned Skyscraper as a film for a global audience.

That being said, Skyscraper opened in 57 international markets this weekend, delivering an estimated $40.4 million for a $65.9 million global debut. Among the film's opening markets South Korea led the way with an estimated $4.7 million followed by Mexico ($3.7m), Russia ($2.6m), Australia ($2.4m), UK and Ireland ($2.4m) and Indonesia ($2.1m). The film will open in 11 additional markets next weekend, including Italy and China.

Disney and Pixar's Incredibles 2 landed in fourth place with an estimated $16.2 million, bringing the film's domestic cume to $535.8 million. While the film continues to pad its lead as the highest grossing animated film of all-time domestically, this weekend it leap-frogged The Dark Knight to become the ninth largest overall film all-time domestically. Additionally, with an estimated $33.3 million internationally this weekend, the film has now grossed over $850 million globally and ranks as the 64th largest worldwide release of all-time.

Rounding out the top five is Universal and Amblin's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, which brought in an estimated $15.5 million, pushing its domestic cume to $363.3 million. Internationally the film added another $26.7 million, pushing its global cume to $1.134 billion, becoming the 18th largest worldwide release of all-time and climbing.

Elsewhere in the top ten, Annapurna's Sorry to Bother You had an excellent expansion into 805 theaters (+789) after a strong limited release last weekend. The film brought in an estimated $4.25 million this weekend for a $5,289 per theater average and a domestic cume that now totals $5.3 million. Exit polling showed the film playing to an audience that was 54% male, of which 64% were under the age of 35.

In limited release, A24's Eighth Grade sold out shows in New York and Los Angeles, playing in just four theaters and bringing in a healthy $252,284 for a chart-topping $63,071 per theater average. The film will expand to top markets next weekend, anticipating a lengthy run throughout the rest of summer.

Additionally, Sony's Soorma opened in 50 theaters with an estimated $168,000 ($3,360 PTA); Amazon Studios's Don't Worry He Won't Get Far on Foot opened in four theaters with an estimated $83,120 ($20,780 PTA); Vertical's Shock & Awe opened with an estimated $41,000 from 100 locations ($410 PTA); Cohen Media's Gauguin debuted in six locations with an estimated $35,607 ($5,935 PTA); The Cinema Guild's Milford Graves Full Mantis brought in $8,515 from one theater; and PBS opened Dark Money in one location with an estimated $8,100.

Overall, the weekend's top twelve grossed an estimated $156.7 million, down -12.6% compared to last weekend, but pretty much on par with the same weekend last year.

Next weekend could be one to keep an eye on as interest is heating up for Universal's Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! debuting in ~3,200 theaters. Also opening is the return of Denzel Washington in Sony's The Equalizer 2, opening in 3,000+ locations, and BH Tilt will open Unfriended: Dark Web into ~1,500 theaters.

Thread Information