Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fouling to win the game

Ocho Lardo

Status

fouling to win the game

National championship game played last night Memphis is up 9 with 2 minutes left in the game. Kansas is forced to foul Memphis to have a chance to win the game. I think this is bullshit! Fouling should not be used to give a team an advantage yet it is done in every close ballgame. Instead of trying to play defense, teams just foul, take no time off of the clock and hope the other team misses freethrows. Even if the other team hits the free throws the fouling team can chuck up threes and still get more points. I think there is a simple fix for this. If a team is fouled and could be put on the line they should be able to turn down the free throws and retain posession. This would ensure the team that played best would win. Let me know what you think. By the way I had no money on the game and I don't care for Memphis!!

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Re: fouling to win the game

This is why I refuse to watch basketball. The final minute of any basketball game is such a bore if the game is remotely close. Ball is inbounded, foul, free throw shots. Rinse and repeat for 60 seconds. There is another fix for this that I would like to propose: if there is a foul with under 2 minutes left in the game, award the team that got fouled the 2 points and possession.

Like you said chops, that way teams would actually play defense instead of just fouling and hoping the other team misses it. It would make it a much more enjoyable of a game for me to watch, that's for sure.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

That is like saying the team in football shouldn't be able to kneel in the final few minutes of a football game.

To me it makes it interesting. It sets up situations where someone has to hit free throws. Even if it turns out to be a 3 point lead, or a 2 point lead. You know how hard it is to hit a 3 pointer? It's still only around a 35% chance they get it in...

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

How is that anything like a kneel? A kneel down is to continue the clock so you can win a game. Fouling is a cheap way to get out of playing defense when you're losing. Also kneeling down prevents injuries that could happen to a player because technically all you'd have to do if you couldn't kneel down is run a HB Dive and have the HB hit the ground and wait for him to be touched. Would you prefer that method?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I was simply saying it's as dumb of an argument as saying people shouldn't kneel. Saying that kneeling is cheap, and they should continue playing until the end. I'm glad you did a whole comparison of it though seriously.

So instead of fouling the team should play solid defense right? What if there's 23 seconds left, and a full shot clock. Are you supposed to hope the other team will shoot? Or some how make a steal even if the team is playing keep away.

What if you are done 4, and there's 37 seconds left. What should you not foul? Let them hit another basket, run out 24 seconds, and have it be a 6 point game with 13 seconds left.

Слава Україні!

Status

No I think you're supposed to play defense...
    I understand playing defense is a novel concept to stop someone from scoring or holding on to the ball... but I hear it works every now and then!

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

In football, when there's time left on the clock, the defense doesn't jump offsides and just plow into other people to cause a penalty. As SS said, they play defense and try to get the ball back. If the other team kneels, then so be it.

If there's 20 seconds left on the game clock in basketball and the player is just bouncing the ball to waste time (just like in football), then either try and steal the ball LEGALLY or accept the loss. Don't just blow right into him and possibly cause an injury. Last I checked, basketball wasn't a full contact sport.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I'm so caught off guard at people on here having an issue with intentional fouling. lol ok my football analogy has fallen short. But I stand by argument that fouling at the end of the game is a strategy that is acceptable.

For years this has been a common practice.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Intentional Foul - A foul committed on purpose by a defensive player to stop the clock. In college basketball, the team that was fouled gets two free throws and possession of the ball.
    Well I didn't know that about College Basketball.

In the pro's though seems like common practice...

Basic B*tches

Status

First of all, Kansas is the best defensive team in the nation, so to say that they needed to foul because they couldn't stop Memphis from scoring is absurd. Anyone see the North Carolina game when they held the most explosive team in the nation to 12 points whilst scoring 40 of their own?

It was a great strategic move on Kansas' part. You know.. instead of you people bitching about the fouling, why don't you bitch about how Memphis is fundamentally flawed? You think it sucks when a team fouls on purpose? Well, I think it sucks when a team can't shoot a fucking free throw to save their lives and these are supposed to be the elite players in division I basketball and yet, they can't excel at the simplest of task. Chris Douglas-Roberts and Derek Rose are both going to be high 1st round draft picks if they come out.

You know what else sucked for Memphis? Dorsey fouling a Kansas player thirty feet away from the basket, fouling out in the process where they could have used his wide body in overtime, and giving KU two free throws. They then throw away an in-bound and Kansas hits a three. All of a sudden KU is only down 4. Down 3.. Kansas has the ball with 10 seconds left. Instead of calling a timeout to make sure everyone on the court knows what they should do, Calipari declines.. So, instead of the team fouling Kansas with under 5 seconds left to nullify a three point attempt, they let KU shoot the three, and Chalmers ties it. Then.. if that's not enough..with 2 seconds left, Calipari again doesn't utilize a timeout so instead of setting up a play, Memphis heaves a halfcourter and eds up in overtime.

Face it.. KU deserved to win the game. Even if you don't agree with anything I've just said, Memphis STILL had five minutes of overtime to play where they SUCKED. Completely outplayed.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

- W * G * M -

Basic B*tches

Status

By the way, Kansas.. yeah, they made 14 of their 15 free throws. I guess we should just continue to be subjected to athletes who don't realize the concept of a team game, huh?

You want to know what a real team looks like? Kansas had 7 different leading scorers over the course of the season.

- W * G * M -

Basic B*tches

Status

While I'm on this.. how do you feel about an intentional walk in baseball? Do you guys think it's a strategic move or are the teams being pussies?

And.. how exactly would an offsides penalty give the opposing team another shot at winning the game?

Point is.. "You play to win the game"

Believe me, if you were a coach, you'd be utilizing the same strategy and if you didn't, you'd be out of a job. Sucks to be you.

- W * G * M -

Why don't you dance?

Status

Dude. How could you not have been cheering for Derrick Rose? That guy is fucking awesome.

Basic B*tches

Status

Because, behind UCONN, I've always rooted for Kansas since I was out there vacationing as a toddler. I have relatives in the area.

If Memphis had been playing anyone else, I probably would have been cheering for them. I love Rose especially.. although, if it came down to him and Stephen Curry, I'd probably root for Curry. What a sweet shot that kid has.

- W * G * M -

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

I don't even know who you are if you want to root for Stephen Curry after he beat Goergetown....

Then, now, forever.

Why don't you dance?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Because, behind UCONN, I've always rooted for Kansas since I was out there vacationing as a toddler. I have relatives in the area.

If Memphis had been playing anyone else, I probably would have been cheering for them. I love Rose especially.. although, if it came down to him and Stephen Curry, I'd probably root for Curry. What a sweet shot that kid has.
    Okay yeah, I'd root for Curry too, but I just love watching legit future superstars tear it up in college -- and Rose is an animal. I hope he goes to Seattle, and they somehow manage to remain in Seattle.

Also, from what I've read, Douglas-Roberts' best-case in the draft is probably somewhere between 13 and 18 -- as in, his flaws are definitely pronounced.

Why don't you dance?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    You think it sucks when a team fouls on purpose? Well, I think it sucks when a team can't shoot a fucking free throw to save their lives and these are supposed to be the elite players in division I basketball and yet, they can't excel at the simplest of task.
    And for the record, while I agree with most of your points in this thread, I object big-time here. All tournament, Memphis gutted it out and overachieved at the line; you can fault them for folding under pressure, but just imagine what that pressure must be like, and imagine being a kid in front of an international audience trying to swallow it.

Слава Україні!

Status

Yes IBB's are pussy moves. When did I ever say they weren't?

You know Kansas did SO FUCKING WELL Defensively in that championship game that they had to foul to get back in the game. Sounds like they always play AMAZING Defense when you have to foul to win. Fouls are meant to be PENALTIES. I don't think PENALTIES should help you WIN a game.

What's so fucking hard to understand about that concept?

Yeah Memphis should've hit those free throws. And to be honest Memphis should've fouled whomever before the 3 pointer by the jayhawks Therefore only allowing them 2 points.

Oddly enough Momentum plays a big part in this game it's a new concept so I'll let that sink in. Kansas gained momentum by coming back. You're telling me if you were Derrick Rose you'd be just as fucking thrilled to play overtime as you were the rest of the game? Don't fucking kid yourself.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Yes IBB's are pussy moves. When did I ever say they weren't?

You know Kansas did SO FUCKING WELL Defensively in that championship game that they had to foul to get back in the game. Sounds like they always play AMAZING Defense when you have to foul to win. Fouls are meant to be PENALTIES. I don't think PENALTIES should help you WIN a game.

What's so fucking hard to understand about that concept?

Yeah Memphis should've hit those free throws. And to be honest Memphis should've fouled whomever before the 3 pointer by the jayhawks Therefore only allowing them 2 points.

Oddly enough Momentum plays a big part in this game it's a new concept so I'll let that sink in. Kansas gained momentum by coming back. You're telling me if you were Derrick Rose you'd be just as fucking thrilled to play overtime as you were the rest of the game? Don't fucking kid yourself.
    Chill out man, sound like you are going to go postal...

Why don't you dance?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Chill out man, sound like you are going to go postal...
    No kidding.

SS, the old "FOULS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PENALTIES!!!!!" argument can be applied to any major team sport, really.

In hockey, teams absolutely serve certain penalties to set a physical tone for the game; in baseball, pitchers work the count in many different ways; in football, teams will take safeties, or desperation pass interference calls, or a host of hockey-like physical precedent-setting penalties.

It's strategy, and it's been part of the game for many, many, many years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information