Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Dark Horse?

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

A Dark Horse?

A Shot in the dark?

As I was getting ready to write my MLB Season Preview stuff I got to thinking... Are we overlooking a Possible sleeper in the Blue Jays? They seem to have a pretty solid lineup including Wells/Rios/Thomas I like their "kid" of sorts in Adam Lind. They were 2nd in Bullpen ERA only to Boston and get BJ Ryan back. Up until the 5th starter they have no more question marks than anyone else. Roy Halladay is a solid excellent pitcher AJ Burnett(Provided he stays healthy) should be pretty good. McGowan and Marcum from what I remember are solid innings eaters. The only question I have is that fifth spot if they could get another pitcher to fill that I think they could be a Dark Horse in the AL. Granted it's pretty hard considering you have solid Cleveland/Boston teams. A New York team that won't flounder from the top of the standings and a Detroit team that only has major questions in Pitching. The only other Dark Horse I can think of is Minnesota because of their youth everywhere and to me what is underrated Pitching. Hernandez should be an ok innings eater if Liriano is back to form he'll be lights out. I absolutely LOVE Kevin Slowey. Scott Baker is another good innings eater with Boof Bonser. Delmon Young should add a little pop to the lineup and Gomez will add speed

Basic B*tches

Status

Re: A Dark Horse?

I don't see it. The Red Sox and Yankees are stacked on offense, and have tremendous bullpens. If they need a starter, they'll go get one. The Jays' arms are always hurt and their lineup doesn't scare anyone.. Even with the question marks about Detroit's pitching, their lineup is the best in baseball and should carry them to 90+ wins.. easy.

- W * G * M -

No

Status

Unfortunately for the gays to Rolen is out for a month to start the season.

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

I wouldn't say thats to bad now Suffy, Marco has been playing some great ball in place of Rolen hes had some pretty sweet plays catching line drives that he has no right catching. The pitching for the Jays has been Top notch though..lets just hope they stay healthy.

Then, now, forever.

Why don't you dance?

Status

I just can't believe Gibbons is letting them run...

Maybe this is a different Jays team than we've seen the past several years.

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

Well, they just swept the Bo Sox, Thomas looked really good the last few games, I hope he keeps it up.

Johnny Mac needs to not run in to Vernon Wells like that again though >.>

Then, now, forever.

Basic B*tches

Status

Sorry to nitpick, but don't the Jays always start out hot?

- W * G * M -

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

Hense, I hope it keeps up, knowing the jays somebody will get injured or get pulled over for DUI

Then, now, forever.

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
    Sorry to nitpick, but don't the Jays always start out hot?
    Not really...

April records:

2007: 13-12
    2006: 12-11
    2005: 13-12
    2004: 7-15
    2003: 10-18
    2002: 8-16

Basic B*tches

Status

I could have sworn they were in first place 6 weeks into the season on a couple of occasions. I'm almost sure of it. the Yanks were in the cellar one of the years..

- W * G * M -

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

Anyway, I think the Jays have a legitimately good team. They have two established stud starters (Halladay and Burnett), two young pitchers with stud potential (McGowan and Marcum), and Jesse Litsch is a serviceable 5th starter (3.81 ERA last year).

They have a decent bullpen. Not great, but good. Much better when BJ Ryan is healthy.

They have a quality line-up. Alex Rios is fucking awesome, Vernon Wells and Frank Thomas are dangerous, and Aaron Hill is emerging as one of the better 2Bs in the league. Plus, they have a nice lefty-righty platoon in left field (Shannon Stewart and Matt Stairs). Stewart has batted .299/.375/.421 career vs. LHP, and Stairs has batted .273/.365/.502 vs. RHP.

Also, baseball prospectus is very high on Tampa Bay. They think the Rays will win 88 games. They certainly have a great line-up and defense, it all depends on the pitching. Shields is a good pitcher, and Kazmir is elite, when healthy. Matt Garza is a big-time pitching prospect, plus Andy Sonnanstine and Edwin Jackson have a ton of potential. And, for the first time in their existence, they have a somewhat decent bullpen, assuming Percival is effective.

However, Kazmir's injury and the decision to start Evan Longoria in the minors hurt their prospects for this year

Basic B*tches

Status

I heard they started Longoria in the minors so they would be able to keep him an extra year for arbitration.

- W * G * M -

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

I could have sworn they were in first place 6 weeks into the season on a couple of occasions. I'm almost sure of it. the Yanks were in the cellar one of the years..
    Last day in first place:

2007: April 17th, with a record of 8-9
    2006: Never led division, were tied for first on April 28th with a record of 12-9
    2005: April 16th, with a record of 8-4
    2004: Never led
    2003: Never led
    2002: April 1st

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

I heard they started Longoria in the minors so they would be able to keep him an extra year for arbitration.
    they deny it, but its obvious to pretty much everyone with a pulse

Basic B*tches

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Giganto View Post
    Last day in first place:

2007: April 17th, with a record of 8-9
    2006: Never led division, were tied for first on April 28th with a record of 12-9
    2005: April 16th, with a record of 8-4
    2004: Never led
    2003: Never led
    2002: April 1st
    Thanks. So..looking from this they certainly haven't started out as well as I remember. Either way, it's almost impossible for me to pick them over the Sox or the Yankees. The only thing I would say.. is that with them being an obvious challenge, if they stay healthy, and the improved Rays, this could be the year where the Sox and Yanks are playing for one spot.

And as I say that, the Tigers are on their way to 0-6. So who the hell knows.

- W * G * M -

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

Thanks. So..looking from this they certainly haven't started out as well as I remember
    One thing I've discovered is that our memories tend to deceive us. Things get jumbled in our heads and we get our facts mixed up as time passes

Case in point: I got into a big argument with a friend a few months ago that Derek Jeter's career high in home runs was 20. I was 100% sure of it. In my mind, Derek Jeter had always hit HR's in the teens but one year he had a little more pop and he got up to 20, but no more than that. I was certain of it.

Then I looked it up and discovered that he hit 24 home runs in 1999 and 21 in 2001 and 23 in 2004. In fact, he has never hit exactly 20 in a season

Why don't you dance?

Status

I used to think Shawn Marion was a big guy, like 6'10 or 6'11. Then I lost some money because of it.

Basic B*tches

Status

I often get confused as to what a PF, SF, or shooting guard's role is. It seems like everyone wants to shoot the three.

- W * G * M -

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    A Shot in the dark?

As I was getting ready to write my MLB Season Preview stuff I got to thinking... Are we overlooking a Possible sleeper in the Blue Jays? They seem to have a pretty solid lineup including Wells/Rios/Thomas I like their "kid" of sorts in Adam Lind. They were 2nd in Bullpen ERA only to Boston and get BJ Ryan back. Up until the 5th starter they have no more question marks than anyone else. Roy Halladay is a solid excellent pitcher AJ Burnett(Provided he stays healthy) should be pretty good. McGowan and Marcum from what I remember are solid innings eaters. The only question I have is that fifth spot if they could get another pitcher to fill that I think they could be a Dark Horse in the AL. Granted it's pretty hard considering you have solid Cleveland/Boston teams. A New York team that won't flounder from the top of the standings and a Detroit team that only has major questions in Pitching. The only other Dark Horse I can think of is Minnesota because of their youth everywhere and to me what is underrated Pitching. Hernandez should be an ok innings eater if Liriano is back to form he'll be lights out. I absolutely LOVE Kevin Slowey. Scott Baker is another good innings eater with Boof Bonser. Delmon Young should add a little pop to the lineup and Gomez will add speed
    fuck, i was kinda right.

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

The funny thing is that you were right about the team, but not about the reasons why haha

Demon Young was a huge disappointment and although Gomez played well in the field and on the bases, the team could have been even better if he could have raised his OBP above .301.

Livan pitched poorly and was dropped. Liriano only made 13 starts and Bonser was awful. You were right about Slowey and Baker.

Nobody could have predicted Denard Span's emergence, except maybe Denard Span.

Mauer, Morneau, and Nathan were their typical awesome selves

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information