Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

  1. #1
    Wii #1

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rochester, New York, United States
    Posts
    16,499
    Rep Power
    181

    Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    PR release, but got from Nintendoworldreport.com:

    REDMOND, Wash., March 17 /PRNewswire/ -- After just one week on store shelves, Super Smash Bros.® Brawl for Wii has become the fastest-selling video game in Nintendo of America's history. Since its launch on March 9, the feature-packed fighting action game has sold more than 1.4 million units in the United States, including more than 874,000 on March 9 alone. It has sold at a rate of more than 120 units per minute between launch and March 16.

    "Super Smash Bros. Brawl has made the leap from video game to cultural phenomenon," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Game reviewers and the public alike praise its fun game play and extensive, inventive content."

    Super Smash Bros. Brawl features a nearly limitless variety of options for players. Dozens of classic Nintendo characters like Mario™ and Pikachu® are joined by industry icons like Sonic The Hedgehog™ and Metal Gear's Solid Snake for all-out four-player battles. The endless customization keeps players coming back for more. The previous game in the series, Super Smash Bros.® Melee, became the best-selling Nintendo GameCube™ game of all time with more than 7 million copies sold worldwide, so it's no surprise to see this latest installment racking up record numbers.

    "It's important to remember," Dunaway said, "that we have lots more fun on the way: Upcoming titles like Mario Kart® Wii and Wii Fit™ will keep our momentum going strong."

    Mario Kart Wii launches April 27 with the Wii Wheel™, which lets players drive their speedy karts with the intuitive feel of a wireless steering wheel. It's another "bridge" game like Wii Sports™ that lets video game novices and veterans play and have fun together. Wii Fit arrives May 19 with the Wii Balance Board™ to combine fun and fitness. It lets users track their progress over time, and it's an easy way for every member of the family to keep active and play together.

    Remember that Wii features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about this and other Wii features, visit Wii.com.
    Help out a struggling college student. Visit and shop for video games at my Amazon-based store, also get Blu-ray Discs: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20
    You can also help me out by gifting me Virtual Conole/WiiWare games or sharing PSN games with me (PM me for my info)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Your mom's boyfriend
    Jayman's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,954
    Rep Power
    2820
      Country                    us=United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    That's good news for Nintendo. Who has this game? (Super Smash Bros) I'm thinking of getting it, but want to hear some opinions on it first. My only dislike with previous games like SSB for the N64 and Gamecube are that it just seems to be a button-mashing game.

  3. #3
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,820
    Rep Power
    91253

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayman View Post
    That's good news for Nintendo. Who has this game? (Super Smash Bros) I'm thinking of getting it, but want to hear some opinions on it first. My only dislike with previous games like SSB for the N64 and Gamecube are that it just seems to be a button-mashing game.
    Yep still the button mashing game of yesteryear with a few new characters that just replaced old ones. If you liked Pikachu, it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. It's basically like Melee 2.0. The Solo mode is a little more entertaining but according to my roommate who played through the whole thing it lacked the sense of accomplishment that Melee gave you when you unlocked characters. It's not a bad game by any means. If you enjoyed Melee you'll probably like this one as well. I expected a little bit more but *shrugs* it's not really a bad game.

  4. #4
    Necro's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    38,571
    Rep Power
    241150
      Country                    United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Those games bore me, but good for Nintendo...

  5. #5
    Wii #1

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rochester, New York, United States
    Posts
    16,499
    Rep Power
    181

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Like in any fighting game, button mashing may let you win against the computer (although the opponents in Brawl are a lot tougher than in Melee) but will get your butt handed to you by most human opponents. I got the game on launch day and love every bit of it. In my mind, there is no doubt that it will be GOTY.
    Help out a struggling college student. Visit and shop for video games at my Amazon-based store, also get Blu-ray Discs: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20
    You can also help me out by gifting me Virtual Conole/WiiWare games or sharing PSN games with me (PM me for my info)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    ▐▐▐

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    575

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    I guess it is good for Nintendo but at the same time that is their record when they have been around so long? While Microsoft have not been around all that long in the console market and yet Halo 3 had more pre-orders in the US than that and the pre-orders were only around half of how many it sold in the first 24 hours.

  7. #7
    Wii #1

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rochester, New York, United States
    Posts
    16,499
    Rep Power
    181

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    I missed your anti-Wii spiel spinoff, the last time I was here you had nothing but bad things to say about the Wii. I wish I was around when it became official that Wii had overtaken Xbox 360 to become #1 in worldwide sales (Wii is also #1 in Japan, United Kingdom, Australia, and Germany). Since you don't like the Wii, I guess you are not too happy with the fact that Wii is the leader this gen and will stay that way.

    I also won't get into how SSBB will likely continue to sell well for years (just like SSBM continued to sell well 5 years after launch). Nor will I mention how Wii has not overtaken Xbox 360 in US sales yet (I say "yet", because the only month that the Xbox 360 has outsold Wii in the last 14 months was in September 2007. Wii outsold Xbox 360 every other month in 2007 and in January and February of this year, and Microsoft themselves said they expect low Xbox 360 sales in March. So it's a matter of WHEN, not IF, Wii will overtake Xbox 360 in US/Canadian sales).
    Help out a struggling college student. Visit and shop for video games at my Amazon-based store, also get Blu-ray Discs: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20
    You can also help me out by gifting me Virtual Conole/WiiWare games or sharing PSN games with me (PM me for my info)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Maniac Poster of 2007

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    7,657
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    cool news for nintendo.

    I got this game on launch day and I like it very much. I think its pretty cool to build your own stage. Lots of different people to choose from. I kickass with Pitt

  9. #9
    aka Joe Cool

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    14,964
    Rep Power
    34
      Country                    us=United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
    I missed your anti-Wii spiel spinoff, the last time I was here you had nothing but bad things to say about the Wii. I wish I was around when it became official that Wii had overtaken Xbox 360 to become #1 in worldwide sales
    This is news to me....last I checked 360 was still top dog.

    Do you have a source?

    And FYI if you remember Spinny is more pro PS3 than X-Box just as your posts are biased towards Nintendo 99.9 percent of the time.


    "Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile.
    Never take the lead, but aim to do something big."
    - Deng Xiaoping

  10. #10
    Maniac Poster of 2007

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    7,657
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cool View Post
    This is news to me....last I checked 360 was still top dog.

    Do you have a source?

    And FYI if you remember Spinny is more pro PS3 than X-Box just as your posts are biased towards Nintendo 99.9 percent of the time.



    Total Wii sales surpass the Xbox 360 worldwide? - Engadget

    now I could be wrong with this, i just did a quick search.

  11. #11
    aka Joe Cool

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    14,964
    Rep Power
    34
      Country                    us=United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Slimdust View Post


    Total Wii sales surpass the Xbox 360 worldwide? - Engadget

    now I could be wrong with this, i just did a quick search.
    Very interesting Slim thank you.

    Props to Nintendo ... it would seem their marketing department is doing wonders in terms of increasing sales.

    "Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile.
    Never take the lead, but aim to do something big."
    - Deng Xiaoping

  12. #12
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,820
    Rep Power
    91253

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cool View Post
    This is news to me....last I checked 360 was still top dog.

    Do you have a source?

    And FYI if you remember Spinny is more pro PS3 than X-Box just as your posts are biased towards Nintendo 99.9 percent of the time.

    It's true but as I even said when the 360 was leading sales numbers are misleading always. So many factors would go into that number it's hardly an accurate comparison of the 3 systems. I think it's pretty much common sense that the Wii would have high sales it's the cheapest console. Plus how many hardcore Nintendo fans would get it just because it has Nintendo on it. Just like the people who will buy the PS3 just because Sony made it.

    Either way I'm still not thoroughly impressed with Brawl. As I stated before it's not a BAD game it's just nothing special to me. It's basically Melee with the new solo mode. Also it's kinda retarded the Starfox characters have the same Super Smash.

  13. #13
    aka Joe Cool

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    14,964
    Rep Power
    34
      Country                    us=United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    It's true but as I even said when the 360 was leading sales numbers are misleading always. So many factors would go into that number it's hardly an accurate comparison of the 3 systems. I think it's pretty much common sense that the Wii would have high sales it's the cheapest console. Plus how many hardcore Nintendo fans would get it just because it has Nintendo on it. Just like the people who will buy the PS3 just because Sony made it.

    Either way I'm still not thoroughly impressed with Brawl. As I stated before it's not a BAD game it's just nothing special to me. It's basically Melee with the new solo mode. Also it's kinda retarded the Starfox characters have the same Super Smash.
    I don't have a Wii so I can't fairly evaluate due to my ignorance.

    I do enjoy the opinions I have heard back and forth on the issue so far though.

    "Keep a cool head and maintain a low profile.
    Never take the lead, but aim to do something big."
    - Deng Xiaoping

  14. #14
    ▐▐▐

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,798
    Rep Power
    575

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kennedy View Post
    I missed your anti-Wii spiel spinoff, the last time I was here you had nothing but bad things to say about the Wii. I wish I was around when it became official that Wii had overtaken Xbox 360 to become #1 in worldwide sales (Wii is also #1 in Japan, United Kingdom, Australia, and Germany). Since you don't like the Wii, I guess you are not too happy with the fact that Wii is the leader this gen and will stay that way.

    I also won't get into how SSBB will likely continue to sell well for years (just like SSBM continued to sell well 5 years after launch). Nor will I mention how Wii has not overtaken Xbox 360 in US sales yet (I say "yet", because the only month that the Xbox 360 has outsold Wii in the last 14 months was in September 2007. Wii outsold Xbox 360 every other month in 2007 and in January and February of this year, and Microsoft themselves said they expect low Xbox 360 sales in March. So it's a matter of WHEN, not IF, Wii will overtake Xbox 360 in US/Canadian sales).
    My post wasn't really Wii bashing or Nintendo bashing. I mean I am not a Halo fan so if I were to Wii or Nintendo bash I don't think that is what I would fall back on. Can you really say you are not surprised a Nintendo game like Zelda or something has never launched better than that when they have been around for so long and that even this didn't end up coming anywhere near a launch like Halo 3 had? Especially if you were to factor in something like the fact that the Wii had more hardware sold when this came out than the 360 had sold when Halo 3 was out. In the first 24 hours Halo 3 had 1.5 million unique users playing on XBL even.

    And now on to the rest......

    If you can't sell games hardware sales are pointless so when Wii software sales pick up then I will be impressed by how they are doing. Like I always said they are pulling in casual gamers that don't buy games or people buying it as a secondary console who buy most of their games on their primary console. While 360 is pulling in a more serious gaming crowd and has a higher attach rate than the Wii and PS3 combined But I would say not selling games is worse for the Wii than PS3 because they have nothing else to fall back on. While at least the PS3 was able to help Sony win the HD movie war and is now seeing a sales boost due to HD-DVD being dead so it is a success for them in the Blu-Ray aspect even if they are not selling games. Granted Nintendo don't lose the money that Sony and Microsoft lose since they just stick their last console in a new case and that doesn't cost a lot so software sales are not as important to them but it still doesn't look good when you are selling the most consoles and not even close to selling the most games.

    As for the end of your post..... don't you just love the typical Microsoft damage control saying they are low on stock now that the PS3 beat them in hardware sales which they have made clear is the only console they consider competition. I don't think they could have made it more obvious it was damage control. Both times they decided to announce shortages were less than 24 hours before NPD sales were released which just happened to be the first two times PS3 was beating them in sales. Really was pretty sad to see them going into damage control mode like that.

  15. #15
    Basic B*tches

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    308

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    The fact is.. If the 360 was only $250 it'd be number one by a boat load. The Wii is only number one because of parents saving some cash.. When it comes to real gamers, it's a no contest which system is liked the most.


    - W * G * M -

  16. #16
    I'm your Huckleberry
    Dakstang's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    21,278
    Rep Power
    267072
      Country                    United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Nice Guy Eddie View Post
    The fact is.. If the 360 was only $250 it'd be number one by a boat load. The Wii is only number one because of parents saving some cash.. When it comes to real gamers, it's a no contest which system is liked the most.
    The reason the Wii is making so much money is because Nintendo is not marketing the Wii for "real gamers" as you say. People are buying them for their kids because it gets them up and exercising a little, it is being put in retirement homes for the same reason, etc...

    They have a very good marketing campaign with the Wii and are drawing on a new market that are not hard core gamers. Take me for example, I would be way too intimidated by the 360 or the PS3 because I don't play games that much. I would be afraid it would be a waste of money. With the Wii, the fun thing about it is you can play Wii sports without having to focus too much on the actual game.

    As for the Wii compared to the other systems to hard core gamers, it doesn't compare. That is what is brilliant about the way Nintendo created and marketed the Wii. They are not really even going after the same type of gamers.

    They laid waste to our land, they took it from our hand
    From Atlanta to Savannah, they scorched our earth
    They stole our corn and wheat, they left no food to eat
    They slaughtered all the cattle, took the things of worth
    Well, we got women and children too
    Just the same as you
    Ain't it enough just to know that you got us beat

    The hatred will never cease, even now that there's peace
    The feelings will run as deep as the scars we bear
    This ain't cloth we wear it's a rag, we're at the mercy of the carpetbag
    What you call justice is plain unfair
    How the hell can you ever claim
    It's been worth all of the pain
    Just to have us live together under one flag

  17. #17
    WC Hall Of Famer
    Wall-E's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    15,025
    Rep Power
    225790

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang View Post
    The reason the Wii is making so much money is because Nintendo is not marketing the Wii for "real gamers" as you say. People are buying them for their kids because it gets them up and exercising a little, it is being put in retirement homes for the same reason, etc...

    They have a very good marketing campaign with the Wii and are drawing on a new market that are not hard core gamers. Take me for example, I would be way too intimidated by the 360 or the PS3 because I don't play games that much. I would be afraid it would be a waste of money. With the Wii, the fun thing about it is you can play Wii sports without having to focus too much on the actual game.

    As for the Wii compared to the other systems to hard core gamers, it doesn't compare. That is what is brilliant about the way Nintendo created and marketed the Wii. They are not really even going after the same type of gamers.
    thats prolly the post of the year. props.



  18. #18
    Basic B*tches

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    308

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    I don't disagree, Dak.. but your points don't really have a whole lot to do with the point I made.. There are a lot of parents who see the Wii as the "cheap way out". There's no denying it. There's a lot of parents who also compromise with their children who want a system. Maybe they can't afford the PS3 or 360 and tell their kids, "but I'll buy you a Wii"


    - W * G * M -

  19. #19
    Your mom's boyfriend
    Jayman's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,954
    Rep Power
    2820
      Country                    us=United States

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    It's not just the price that lures parents to buy the Wii instead. It's the game selection. It's no secret that Nintendo has a TON more kid-friendly games than Sony or Microsoft. That, on top of it being well-priced for mom's looking for a gift for their kid, makes the Wii a good selection for kids.

  20. #20
    Basic B*tches

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    30,874
    Rep Power
    308

    Re: Brawl breaks Nintendo record

    Agreed. Look, I have nothing against the Wii at all. But I do think it's a little kiddy for me.. so I'm probably never going to buy one.


    - W * G * M -

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •