Thread: A World Without Internet

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

A World Without Internet

I was talking about this subject with some friends the other day. We all remember hearing our parents tell us as kids "When I was your age, I didn't have......" and we just rolled our eyes and said "Yeah, right!".

Well now as most of us enter the age where we are becoming parents, we're most likely going to use that line (or maybe some of us already are). Anyway, the direct example I was thinking about was the internet. Our kids will grow up with Instant Messanger, Google, discussion forums, and many more things that come directly from the World Wide Web.

Remember things like Libraries, ACTUAL encyclopedias, going outside in the summer and actually playing baseball with your friends and staying outside until dusk when your parents told you to come back in? Or looking up movie times in the newspaper on a Saturday afternoon, rather than logging on your computer or cell phone?

Obviously the internet has made our lives easier and more convinent in many ways, but in others it really slows us down and makes us lazier. What do you think life would be for us without the internet now? Studies have shown that kids becoming more obese are a direct relation to things such as the internet, as kids would rather sit on a chair all day than go outside and play. Do you think that, as time continues on, we will see more negative effects from the internet?

I'm your Huckleberry

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: A World Without Internet

I do think that the internet has brought some negative consequences with it. I don't think it can be attributed soley to the problem with obesity in America today however. We are just really not living in the same kind of world as when we were children. No one has time to do anything besides work anymore. When you talk about one parent households, that time is reduced even more. From my experience it seems that when parents come home from a long day of work they are in no mood to let their kids go out and play because that would take extra effort on their part by sort of keeping an eye on them to make sure they are o.k. They are content with just letting them sit in front of the computer screen, or play video games, so they don't have to expend any energy to ensure their safety. I think this is a very unfortunate part of our society today and it really negatively affects parent and child bonding. Americans work entirely too much when compared with the rest of the world and this severely affecting the children of this country.

Buddy if you try to take my rights you're in for one hell of a fight
    When it comes to my Constitution I'm a true believer
    Come to my house I'll tell you right now, I'll give you my gun
    When you pry it from my cold dead hand, start with my middle finger

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

Good question, Jay, good question.

I think that the internet has really created a much more global world. No longer are isolated to our little communities. In fact, for some, the community outside their house is probably less explored than their community on the internet. Maybe that's just because I dislike my neighbors. The cultural impact of this though is astounding. By posting on a message board, like Wrestling Clique, we're exposed to so many different values, and cultural backgrounds. I guess you could say that it has likely made us all much more culturally aware, and maybe even more accepting?

Besides just the cultural impact, like you said, the impact on the way we live our lives is huge. The internet can result in almost near instant gratification for anything. It's opened up significantly more communication channels, not only to communicate with friends, but also for entertainment, politics, news ... etc.

Curtain Jerker

Status

A world without the internet? That would be a horrible, horrible thing to imagine. Do you know what humans were doing before the internet, television and all other kind of technology that was created? You were out working in the farms, doing agriculture work and other things to keep yourself busy. Know what else you were doing? KILL MY ANCESTORS! Oh well, the past is the past. I'm just grateful that my children have a longer life expectancy than I ever did in my days.

2004... wow, that was a long time ago. Childhood just passed me by.

Your mom's boyfriend

Status
      Country                    us=United States

A friend of mine (Who is over 30) posted this on myspace earlier today, and I had a few laughs. Being 25, half of this applies to me, half doesn't. Pretty true. I can't wait to yell at my kids about this kind of stuff, just as my dad did to me.

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were when they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning...uphill BOTH ways yadda, yadda, yadda. And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that...I'm over the ripe old age of thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

When I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter *with a pen*! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself! Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talked over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it! And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your mum, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating! All the seats were the same height! If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see, you were just screwed!

Sure, we had television, but back then that was only like a couple of channels and there was no on screen menu and no remote control! You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your arse and walk over to the TV to change the channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire…imagine that! If we wanted popcorn, we had to use a stupid saucepan and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

Love The Hank

Status
      Country                    uk_england=England

Your friend has got it spot on Jay, good stuff and I totally agree.

My parents house was on a street, bordered by two other streets to create a traingle in the middle where all the kids from the three streets used to congregate and play games together. We all knew each other and would play all sorts from sports like rounders and football to kids games like hare and hounds and hide and seek. These days i never see any kids outside playing like we used to. Our parents never let us leave the triangle cause that way we could all be seen from all houses and things were relatively safer back then. Im just assuming that kids are all in their houses playing computer games and on the internet or parents just dont actually care about their kids anymore cause theyre all wandering the streets and drinking cider in the bus stops at the grand old age of 12. Whichever the reason, its depressing.
    The Three Wise Men.

"A Leader Can't Lead Until He Knows Where He's Going."
    John Locke

"I always dreamed about ruling the world, but now that I’m getting older I’ll settle for Hollywood."
    Ari Gold

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister.
    Hank Moody"

Thread Information