Thread: Police Officers Issued Speeding Citations

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    United States

Police Officers Issued Speeding Citations

From yahoo.com

Md. police officers ignore speed cameras

In the last eight months of 2007, Montgomery County's new speed cameras recorded 224 cases in which police vehicles were recorded traveling more than 10 mph over the speed limit, according to department records.

Supervisors dismissed 76 of those citations after determining the officers were responding to calls or had valid reasons to break the speed limit.

But that left 148 who didn't have that excuse, and about two-thirds of those citations haven't been paid, said police Lt. Paul Starks.

The police union says officers shouldn't pay because the citations are issued to the owner of a vehicle, in this case the county, and not to the driver.

Police Chief Thomas Manger doesn't buy that argument.

Manger said officers who continue to ignore citations might be disciplined.

Quote Originally Posted by Police Chief Thomas Manger
    We are not above the law, it is imperative that the police department hold itself to the same standards that we're holding the public to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is great. Policeman who speed while not having a legititmate reason for doing so should be subject to the same penalties that citizens are. This will send a great message to those policeman who feel that they are above the law.

No

Status

Re: Police Officers Issued Speeding Citations

this is great I see this in Winnipeg all the time, I see a cop I slow to whatever the limit is and then all of a sudden the cop is way ahead of me no lights on or anything and I know that if I speed it slightly he'll pull me over.

Fiery Angel

Status

meh.... cops abusin the law... nothing new there!
    What's the point in having an Internet connection if you're not using it to look up weird, fucked-up pictures of dirty sex you'll never have yourself?

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

I'm not shocked...

Ocho Lardo

Status

Thats bullshit that the union said they shouldn't have to pay the ticket because the ticket goes to the owner of the vehicle. I hope their insurance rates go up also.

Meep Meep

Status

If someone borrowed my car, sped, got a ticket in my name, I could take them to court and they'd have to pay, so if they need to the county can take each cop too court. They obviously have records of who drove what car, on which day and time the ticket was issued
    hi...

Thread Information