Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock Draft 08

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

Royal Rumble Mock Draft 08

Well I don't have all my assets ready, but I will eventually post mine, as well as some other people's opinions.

This year, I also wanted to try something different, the first ever 'Clique' NFL Mock Draft. Basically after I say the pick you can go ahead and reply with who should be taken, Also feel free to debate someone's selection. So let's get this started, (no trading picks)

The Miami Dolphins are now on the clock...

1. Miami Dolphins - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
    2. St. Louis Rams - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
    Last edited by Crimea; 01-27-2008 at 09:36 AM.

Basic B*tches

Status

Re: Mock Draft 08

Nice idea, and this will give us a chance to evaluate and analyze teams other than the Patriots haha. So the Dolphins with the 1st pick..

Well, I can't see them taking Darren McFadden, stud running back out of Arkansas. They have Ronnie Brown who is young and appeared to be coming on last year until his injury. Sure it'd be nice to have two all-pro or potential all-pro runners but without a line, a QB, etc. it won't matter. What made the Dolphins tick in recent years was their defense and a lot of the guys either got old or moved to different teams, so I think it's time for them to start rebuilding in that area. They can't take a QB in the 1st round with the 1st pick, nobody is worthy enough, so maybe they take a chance on a QB later on and with the 1st pick I'd draft Glen Dorsey, DT out of LSU. He's by far the best defensive player in the draft, he can really clog up that middle interior.

Why don't you dance?

Status

Yeah, Dorsey's the pick.

But like I said a while ago, his knees (etc.) are really gonna have to check out fine at his workouts for the Dolphins to justify giving him 1st overall money. If there are still questions about his health come April, I can see him falling.

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

Dorsey is most def #1 unless the Tuna makes the call that offense is more important

St.Louis - Jake Long

I don't think theres any doubt they need some Oline support

Then, now, forever.

Stud Muffin

Status
      Country                    United States

Wouldn't the Dolphins be better off trading down for maybe a 15th overall and a 2nd & 5th rounder or something?

Save some cash and help rebuild the overall team with depth. Thats always been the way Parcells did things unless there was an obvious choice in the first round. Somehow Dorsey seems like a guy you would want to acquire when you are .500 talent looking to turn the corner, not something to base a defense around. I could be wrong though.

Maniac Poster of 2007

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Wouldn't the Dolphins be better off trading down for maybe a 15th overall and a 2nd & 5th rounder or something?

Save some cash and help rebuild the overall team with depth. Thats always been the way Parcells did things unless there was an obvious choice in the first round. Somehow Dorsey seems like a guy you would want to acquire when you are .500 talent looking to turn the corner, not something to base a defense around. I could be wrong though.
    thats what I was thinking and seems like what will happen.
    [Today 05:12 PM] DD: Slim gets the sexiest boy ever award

More like Hall of Lamer

Status

Its alot easier to say they need to trade the pick then to actually do it though

Then, now, forever.

Why don't you dance?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Twist of Lemon View Post
    Its alot easier to say they need to trade the pick then to actually do it though
    Absolute truth.

I'd say the chances of the Dolphins finding a trading partner for the 1st overall pick are about 1000 to 1.

Слава Україні!

Status

Any chance of Sedrick Ellis replacing Dorsey as the #1 pick?

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status

I agree with TOL, in that it's easier to say "trade down" than to actually do it. Also, for the purposes of this thread, it's probably easiest to assume that there are no trades.

As long as we're on the topic, any chance a team trades up for McFadden?

Basic B*tches

Status

Well, the only two teams in the 1st 12 picks that I think could use a running back are the Raiders and possibly the Falcons although we're not sure on Norwood. Maybe they want him to be a feature back. I think it's unlikely the Raiders trade up because he's going to be there anyway if they stay put and I'm also not sure on how high teams are on him. Sure McFadden is the first back taken, but is he the next Adrian Peterson? I'm not sure I'm ready to say that.

Why don't you dance?

Status

I have my doubts about McFadden, but he's not gonna fall too far.

During the season, it seemed like everybody was sure Dallas would package both of their 1st-rounders (remember they have Cleveland's) and move up to take McFadden, based on Jerry Jones' Arkansas affiliation and supposed infatuation for McFadden. But that was before anybody knew the Browns pick would end up being so low, and before Marion Barber proved he's the weapon he is.

So basically what I just said is irrelevant.

Like Blade said, there are only a few teams in the top 10 that need a starting running back, and I doubt that any team outside the top 10 could afford to move up that high. Unless the Raiders are really high on Justin Fargas (and they'd have to resign him), I'm pretty sure McFadden wouldn't fall further than #4, but anything can happen.

In my opinion, the most logical trade-up scenario would be the Jets going from #6 to, say, #2 or #3, to get ahead of Oakland.

Why don't you dance?

Status

As for Ellis overtaking Dorsey at some point, I suggested it on here a while back, but it still seems pretty unlikely. I think he's a top 10 pick for sure, and defensive tackle might be the most valuable defensive position today (see: Albert Haynesworth), but Dorsey's health would really have to put into question for that to happen.

Слава Україні!

Status

So if there are no more objections we have the Dolphins taking Glenn Dorsey?

Why don't you dance?

Status

None from me.

Слава Україні!

Status

Continue the McFadden discussion as the St. Louis Rams are now on the clock with the #2 pick

Basic B*tches

Status

McFadden won't go here, the Rams obviously have Steven Jackson who many believe to be one of the top 3 running backs in the league when healthy. I'm looking at Jake Long, OT out of Michigan. The Rams lost Orlando Pace to an injury this season, a triceps injury, and I believe this is the 2nd time in two years they've lost Pace. It's devastating to that offense to not have him out there and playing well. It appears as though his best days are behind him so I'd take Long and rebuild that position. Long looks like the real deal.

Why don't you dance?

Status

I disagree. Not because I don't think Jake Long is a viable prospect -- he is, and could well be the pick -- but I think Chris Long, DE, Virginia is actually a better fit for the Rams.

Edit: I guess I should elaborate a bit. Personally, I don't think the Rams are ready to give up on Pace -- that is, I think they'll definitely expect him back and ready for next year -- and if that happens, their other big O-line problems are in the interior. And you don't draft a C or a G this high. Chris Long is perhaps the surest pick in the draft, and he'll help solidify a team's defensive line wherever he goes. And the Rams need that.

Слава Україні!

Status

Anybody else? Care to chime in?

I'm with Freak btw, Chris Long is by far the safest pick in my opinion

Maniac Poster of 2007

Status

im sure if McFadden is still available, the falcons will pick him.
    [Today 05:12 PM] DD: Slim gets the sexiest boy ever award

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information