Thread: The Passion

Intercontinental Champion

Status

The Passion

Well I finaily got around to seeing this film tonight and was rather suprised.

- My initial thought before viewing was that this was going to be some constant barrage of Catholic propaganda thrown down my throat by Mel Gibson, however I was suprised by how hemanaged to get across his message with relativley little dialogue.

- I thought as do most that the film looked absolutley superb, you can rag on Gibson all you want but that man can direct a film, no questions asked.

- The portrays of Jesus and of Mary and Mary Magdelene were great, Monica Belluci really let herself down with the MAtrix sequels because shes such a good actress.

- The story I felt was told well when depicting Jesus's final moments and even though I am hardly a devout Chrisitan I still felt hatred for the Roman soldiers who punished Jesus. However there were a few things which I felt were unexplained such as were where the other desciples apart from Judas and Peter, why did Jesus stand over Mary Magdelene (who if I recall correctly was even called by name) and save and why was she being stoned in the first place. Of course it was because she was a prostitute and all but I still felt it could have been mentioned.

- I also expected the violence in this film to be OTT but I didn;t think it was that bad and was essential in carrying Gibsons message.

- Also do you think that Gibson will make a second film depicted Jesus resurection. I hope he does because on the whole this a good film.

The Genius rating 7.5/10

P.S Has anyone seen this film after reading the Da Vinci Code. Gave me a different perspective and godamn, Gibson must hate Dan Brown.

World Champion

Status
    I found it mostly boring and unwatchable. I didn't find it as violent as I thought it would be.

The version of the Jews and Pilate was laughable.

I would rather watch The Last Temptation of Christ.

Formerly "Tom Dogg"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by genius_penis
    P.S Has anyone seen this film after reading the Da Vinci Code. Gave me a different perspective and godamn, Gibson must hate Dan Brown.
    I havent seen the movie, but I read the da Vinci Code. It will probably make me look at the movie differently when I see it, although I dont quite believe everything in the Da Vinci Code.

I heard that Gibson is a member of Opus Dei, the crazy Christians from the book. Not sure if thats true or not...

Formerly Randy Orton

Status
    I haven't seen it, not because I don't want it but because I am to cheap to buy/rent it.

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    Great movie. Being a Christian made it a good watch and an even further learning experience.

And Miakal, you didn't even think the Cat of Nine Tails during the scourging was hard to watch? I cringe everytime I see it, myself.
    When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the country not enter the city. For this is the time of punishment in fullfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and be taken as prisoners to all nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
    ...At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.
    Luke 21:20-28

World Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude
    Great movie. Being a Christian made it a good watch and an even further learning experience.

And Miakal, you didn't even think the Cat of Nine Tails during the scourging was hard to watch? I cringe everytime I see it, myself.
    It was hard to watch but the torture during the course of the movie wasn't as bad as I expected.

I thought the way it was directed and everything was great, I would agree with the amazing GP there, but I found the anti-semetic script, lack of more teachings of Jesus, and the somewhat laughable violence to be a little more than I could handle.

Dude, are you Catholic?

GP, where did you hear about a sequal? I've heard that the sequal, if there were to be one (I believe I heard this from Mel Gibson on TV), would be mostly about Paul.

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakal

I thought the way it was directed and everything was great, I would agree with the amazing GP there, but I found the anti-semetic script, lack of more teachings of Jesus, and the somewhat laughable violence to be a little more than I could handle.

Dude, are you Catholic?
    I wouldn't call the script anti-semetic at all, Miakal. This is just how it was in the Bible, the Jewish Priests condemned Christ and called him a blasphemer. Not ALL Jews, mind you (notice his supporters on the streets), but the priests definitely.

And no, I'm not catholic. I have no denomination.
    When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the country not enter the city. For this is the time of punishment in fullfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and be taken as prisoners to all nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
    ...At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.

World Champion

Status
    I believe the High Priests are only mentioned in one book, Mark I believe.

Also, historically Pilate was known as an all out hardass Crucifying a remarkable number of people in his day. He killed Messiah's before without the help of the evil Jews, so what made Jesus special?

Further, "The Passion" is a play written by the Spanish to intice violence from Christians to Jews. Mel didn't use this play directly or anything and I'm not suggesting he did, but he obviously read it.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
    It was under the hot rumours in Empire Magazine which is quite a well respected Movie Mag in the UK. Nothing has been confirmed but the studios are wanting some form of sequel after the ending of the Passion.

I've not heard anything of a Peter film but knowing Hollywood it wouldn;t surprise me if Gibson made another two movies, one following Jesus's life before the crucifixtion and another after, making a perfect pre packaged trilogy box set.

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    I believe the High Priests are only mentioned in one book, Mark I believe.

Also, historically Pilate was known as an all out hardass Crucifying a remarkable number of people in his day. He killed Messiah's before without the help of the evil Jews, so what made Jesus special?
    It's more than one, actually, my dear respected friend.

"When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:"
    -Matthew 27:1

"And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests to betray him unto them."
    -Mark 14:10

"Then the high priest rent his clothes and saith, What need we any further witnesses?
    Ye have heard the blasphemy; what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death."
    -Mark 14:63-64

"And the chief priests and scribes sought how they might kill him; for they feared the people."
    -Luke 22:2

"When the chief priests therefore and officers saw him, they cried out, saying, Crucify him, crucify him."
    -John 19:6

As for Pilate, yes he was known to be harsh and murderous. And he had killed people who claimed to be Messiahs before. But the way it went (if you're a believer such as I am) is that the Holy Spirit literally entered Pilate and he knew that Jesus was the real deal. He knew he had done no wrong and didn't deserve death.

It is also said that he was so grief stricken about having killed the True Messiah, Jesus Christ, that he killed himself.

And, I should mention, that the Passion can NOT be anti-semetic. Jesus and his followers were, after all, Jews.

World Champion

Status
    I stand corrected!

However, I greaty disagree about your feelings that The Passion cannot be anti-semetic. Again, read the play "The Passion" and read into some of the history behind it, and it's motives. It's clearly anti-semetic.

Isn't it well known that the follwers of Jesus disliked Jews anyway? Wasn't there some level of politics involved?

Jesus and his followers WERE Jews, as well, meaning past tense. They left that dirty thing behind.

I also don't think that just because you were or are a certain religion you get a "free pass". Hitler was Christian, so does that mean he wasn't an anti-Christ?

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    I stand corrected!

However, I greaty disagree about your feelings that The Passion cannot be anti-semetic. Again, read the play "The Passion" and read into some of the history behind it, and it's motives. It's clearly anti-semetic.

Isn't it well known that the follwers of Jesus disliked Jews anyway? Wasn't there some level of politics involved?

Jesus and his followers WERE Jews, as well, meaning past tense. They left that dirty thing behind.

I also don't think that just because you were or are a certain religion you get a "free pass". Hitler was Christian, so does that mean he wasn't an anti-Christ?
    I don't believe that Jesus' followers hated the Jews. After all, they called Jesus the King of the Jews. They were proud Jews who celebrated their heritage (see the Passover) but also reformed to Jesus' teachings.

Jesus never stopped being Jewish, and the Jews will be the first saved as it says in the Bible (as long as they have led good lives of course).

As for the Spanish play, if it was used to be anti-semetic, then it was used for the wrong reason and those who wrote it don't know the meaning of Jesus' Passion (his love for ALL mankind despite ALL of mankind's evilness). I think Mel got the message through well enough in his version. We get cut scenes in the middle of his scourging and crucifixion, which show his main teaching: Love one another.

We're seeing these Romans and these Priests humiliating him and killing him, but we are taught to love them still, because we ARE them.

As for Hitler, I would make him the equivalent of the terrorists who bombed the trade center. He may have said he was something (Christian), but his actions proved otherwise. If he was an anti-Christ, then he was. He certainly wasn't Christian, though, no matter what he may have said.

I love religious discussions! :D

Thread Information