Thread: Adaptations

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Adaptations

Do you think it is possible for a good book to made into a good film?

How about computer games to films, do you rate any of them?

Opinions?

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    Yeah it's possible. There are plenty of Stephen King based movies that I love.

I would like someone to take another go with War of the Worlds and stick to the book this time. The last film had hardly anything to do with the novel.
    When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the country not enter the city. For this is the time of punishment in fullfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and be taken as prisoners to all nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
    ...At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.
    Luke 21:20-28

Status
    Speilbergs signed to do War of the Worlds with Tom Cruize likely to star too.

My personal opinion is that a good adaption is possible if you've not read the origianal. Resident Evil could be see as a good film is you haven't played the excellent games.

Same for books, I thought that all the Tom Clancy films have been quite piss poor in comparison to the books, as the producers in Hollywood always seem to cut out the best bits.

As for comics I think the Comic adaption thing is ok but is getting a little bit overdone for my liking.

As for Stephen King films, the only two with any merit I feel are Shawshank and Green Mile. Dreamcather was the biggest pile of crap I saw last year. And I saw Matrix Revoltions.

World Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by genius_penis
    As for Stephen King films, the only two with any merit I feel are Shawshank and Green Mile. Dreamcather was the biggest pile of crap I saw last year.
    Cujo, The Shinning, Stand by Me, Apt Pupil and The Stand were pretty good films, I thought.

Yo, Adrian! I DID IT!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Miakal
    Quote Originally Posted by genius_penis
    As for Stephen King films, the only two with any merit I feel are Shawshank and Green Mile. Dreamcather was the biggest pile of crap I saw last year.
    Cujo, The Shinning, Stand by Me, Apt Pupil and The Stand were pretty good films, I thought.
    As well as Pet Semetary, Silver Bullet, Night Flier, IT (though it could have been better), the '79 version of Salem's Lot.

Dreamcatcher was OK, IMO, and would have been better if they kept the original ending they had instead of the craptacular ending they ended up with.
    When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the country not enter the city. For this is the time of punishment in fullfillment of all that has been written. How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. They will fall by the sword and be taken as prisoners to all nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.
    ...At that time they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.
    Luke 21:20-28

Status
    While Stand By Me I thought was OK, I didn;t find any of the others that interesting. Maybe I just don't like Stephen King stories. Each to their won I guess.

Status
    Stephen King himself is very disappointed with the majority of the Movie adaptions from his book. He was especially unhappy with The Shining. As in the Book, Johnny goes nuts due to alchohol abuse.. but that isnt touched upon in the movie.

There is only one problem I have with most King movies... and thats in nearly all of them there is an annoying Kid or Kids in an important role. And people manage to cast the most annoying brats possible.

Freakshow Extraordinaire

Status
    Down At The Bottom Of The Garden, Among The Birds & The Bees.
      Country                    UK
    When it comes t oStephen King, me and my brother always say he runs out of ideas by the end of the book, and thus adds a 'Stephen King Ending ©' where the main bad guy turns into a demon rabbit or something stupid. For examples, see IT, Needful Things, & The Stand.

When we read Dreamcatcher, we breathed a sigh of relief when it ended excellently, with out a 'Stephen King Ending ©' in sight. Then we sit through the entire movie to find that the movi has a son of a bitch 'Stephen King Ending ©'!!! Disgust was registered within 24 seconds of the credits rolling, which I believe to be my personal best.

Devils Advocate

Status
    I like his series "Kingdom Hospital"

World Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Shango
    Stephen King himself is very disappointed with the majority of the Movie adaptions from his book. He was especially unhappy with The Shining. As in the Book, Johnny goes nuts due to alchohol abuse.. but that isnt touched upon in the movie.
    That's why he had another director do it to his liking a few years ago.

Has anyone seen The Stand?

Thread Information