Thread: Impact Match Recommendations

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Impact Wrestling Impact Match Recommendations

I was initially going to set up a King Steventon style YES/NO thread for Impact this year, but figured that would actually be kind of pointless because of how few eyes there seems to be on Impact as a whole. But, I wanted to create something where folks who have a passing interest in Impact, or who are maybe looking to get back into Impact, can come and check out what the WC community hold in high regard in recent Impact history.

So the general concept is similar to the YES/NO thread, where you can come in with matches that really impress you and write up a short little blurb about what made it good and why it may be worth watching. But, we're basically eliminating the voting aspect. All recommended matches will be added to the OP for quick reference and folks can decide for themselves if they wanna give the matches a shot. Of course, feedback is still certainly welcomed on any recommended matches and you are free to chip in your two cents on matches that have been recommended.

This thread is, for the most part, meant to be a guide to what is worth checking out from Impact in recent history. The landscape of Impact changes so quickly and so often that for the purpose of this thread - which is to enlighten each other about the best of modern day Impact - let's say that the cutoff date for the oldest matches you can recommend would be August 2021, a year ago. Anything that has happened since then is fair game.

I'll be added my suggestions later on today, but figured I'd go ahead and get this posted so others can start thinking about what they might want to add to the mix.

WC'S RECOMMENDED MATCHES

TBD.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Impact Match Recommendations

This is just a list of matches from this year that were good/great. No write up's but I can cover thoughts on individual ones if anyone is interested...

Mike Bailey vs. Ace Austin vs. Trey Miguel - Rebellion
    Ace Austin vs. Alex Zayne vs. Andrew Everett vs. Kenny King vs. Mike Bailey vs. Trey Miguel - Slammiversary
    Mike Bailey vs. Trey Miguel - Against All Odds
    Josh Alexander vs. JONAH - Hard to Kill
    Josh Alexander vs. Moose - Rebellion
    Josh Alexander vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Under Siege
    Josh Alexander vs. Eric Young - Slammiversary
    Josh Alexander vs. Joe Doering - Against All Odds
    Chris Sabin vs. Jonathan Gresham - Hard to Kill
    Chris Sabin vs. Frankie Kazarian - Impact 20/06/2022
    Chris Sabin vs. Steve Maclin - Under Siege
    Chris Sabin vs. Alex Shelley - Impact 15/7/2022
    MCMG vs. Bullet Club - Against All Odds
    Steve Maclin vs. Trey Miguel - Hard to Kill
    Steve Maclin vs. PCO - Impact 14/5/2022
    Honor No More vs. Impact Originals - Slammiversary
    Deonna Purrazzo vs. Rok-C - Impact 09/01/2022
    Deonna Purrazzo vs. Mia Yim - Impact 02/07/2022

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status

Gonna begin with my favorites from Josh Alexander + a bonus Slammiversary match while it's still fresh on my mind.

Jake Something vs. Josh Alexander - Emergence 2021

I miss Jake Something. Guy uses his size so well to portray a proper behemoth. This creates a great dynamic with the tenacious face warrior that Josh Alexander plays. This is probably my second favorite Alexander X-Division Title defense, besides the TJP Iron Man match. That particular match isn't really in the window for this though. Anyways, THIS match is a test of wills between these two agile powerhouses who put their full arsenals on display here for one of the most underrated matches of last year, featuring Alexander hitting the big fella with 10 consecutive German Suplexes. Really embodies the idea of "The X Division isn't about weight limits… it's about NO LIMITS".

Josh Alexander vs. Christian - Bound For Glory 2021

This match was shaping up to be a remarkably rare instance of a straightforward scientific wrestling match main eventing Bound For Glory. There wasn't much razzmatazz going on this one, just two extremely fundamentally sound guys working a pretty even match with some excellent limb work and selling, culminating in Josh Alexander finally winning the Impact World Title after a mercurial run with the X-Division strap. Then Moose cashed in his Call Your Shot opportunity and snatched it all away to once again end BFG with some high level chicanery, but oh well. Match was damn good regardless!

Josh Alexander vs. Moose - Rebellion 2022

This match is done in the tried and true title match epic style. Both gentlemen brought their working boots and gave a lot to each other, so that both parties come out looking like true top dogs in the end. Of course, this is Josh Alexander's proper crowning moment, culminating his redemption arc after Moose cashed in his Call Your Shot opportunity to ruin his moment at Bound For Glory.

Josh Alexander vs. Tomohiro Ishii - Under Seige 2022

To the jaded Japanese fan, this may be looked at as a run of the mill Ishii match, but from my perspective this was a top notch war of attrition between two bruisers, and it really should serve as a big notch in Alexander's belt to beat the legendary Ishii. It delivered on what fans expected, providing a host of jaw-jacking forearm shots, nasty tumbles on the head and neck and more than it's fair share of close call finishes.

Josh Alexander vs. Eric Young - Slammiversary 2022

Think back to Randy Orton vs. Edge in the "Greatest Wrestling Match Ever" but try to imagine it being a lot more fun, endearing and less melodramatic. That's kind of what we have here. A fantastic tribute to the 20 year history of TNA/Impact between the man currently carrying the banner for the company, and a guy who is a surefire future Hall of Famer, who can still go at a high level when he feels like it.

Team Impact vs. Honor No More - Slammiversary 2022

This may be on the lower end of my recommendations but I still feel like it's something worth checking out. Similar to other Slammiversary match I recommended, it's more about the nostalgia it brings out than anything else, but it's also stands on its own as a very entertaining rollercoaster ride of a match. I think it's worth noting while watching the match that none of these guys are exactly "hungry up and comers" but you wouldn't you be able to tell that by the effort they put in.

Josh Alexander vs. Joe Doering - Against All Odds 2022

Joe Doering isn't given enough appreciation. In a different time and place, he might be one of the top heels in the industry. He's just such a convincing hoss with a look that begs to be booed. And I love that about him. As he is wont to do, Alexander once again brings out the best in his opponent here, making Doering - who is generally presented as little more than Eric Young's goon - look like a serious threat to his World Title. The two guys really just beat the hell out of each other in this one and I think any fans who enjoy their wrestling to be hard hitting and no-nonsense will find this match a real treat.

WAKE UP

Status

Hey I watched the Speedball vs Trey Miguel match and thought it was very good. Miguel is one of these guys who is very slick and a super athlete, but this was easily the smartest match I've seen him have. For 2 guys who 90% of their offence is speed, flips and kicks, they did a good job making the leg attacks feel meaningful.

This is my only contribution to the thread. Bring back Jake Something.

World Champion

Status

Excellent match, Steve, and one I was definitely gonna bring up in the next batch when/if I got there. I remember thinking that some of the spots were pretty contrived but other than that, I had no real criticisms with that match and thought the leg kicks were fucking awesome.

Thread Information