Thread: 2022 MLB Season - Better Late Than Never

Status
      Country                    United States

MLB 2022 MLB Season - Better Late Than Never

Let's see if we can beat last year's high score of 11 posts in a baseball thread. Go Brewers!

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Re: 2022 MLB Season - Better Late Than Never

I am absolutely shocked the Pirates just signed one of their top future guys to a big long term contract. Bob Nutting must've realized that all the Buccos fans boycotting games was starting to actually hurt his profits.

Ke'Bryan Hayes was signed today to a 8 year, 70 million dollar deal. Which is actually more money than they spent on the entire team this year.

It's actually a risk move, because while Hayes is a top prospect, he actually hasn't proven anything significant yet.

But it's a nice bone thrown by an owner who's been heavily criticized for never spending any money.

Very Important Lobster

Status

I haven't watched any baseball in years but I bet the farm on Dodgers to win the world series at +700 after they signed freeman. Since then the odds are down to around +450 so im hoping to cash that one

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Let's see if we can beat last year's high score of 11 posts in a baseball thread. Go Brewers!
    Challenge accepted!

Go Cardinals.

Actually, go Blue Jays. They look really good this year but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t worried that all but one of the CBS Sports experts picked them to win the AL. That scares me more than a series in Tampa.

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne "The Broc" Johnson View Post
    I haven't watched any baseball in years but I bet the farm on Dodgers to win the world series at +700 after they signed freeman. Since then the odds are down to around +450 so im hoping to cash that one
    Dodgers are like the Packers of baseball. Constantly a favorite to win but always choking in the end. They did finally win it all in that shortened COVID year though.

They have a stacked team and honestly should win, but there have been 8 different champions in the last 8 years so...it's anyone's to win.

Insert Clever Thing Here

Status

Hoping the Red Sox beat my expectations this year, but I have no faith in them because god forbid Bloom spend on pitchers that are reliable and not injury prone.

Insert Clever Thing Here

Status

Bobby Witt Jr gets his first major league hit! He had an excellent defensive play too. Always nice to see top prospects do well, I think Witt is gonna be a superstar.

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT

Status

My fantasy team hopes so.
    R.I.P. "Rockstar" Randy Ramon

Spoiler:

TUFF

Status

Let's go Yankees! The team has improved in every area, especially on the defensive end. Hoping they can come out on top of the AL East but the division is always tough.

Cardinals are the other team I root for and they just won their first game of the season. Nice to see Pujols back with them even if it's towards the end of his career.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

>>> Check out "IMPACT! Wrestling 2019: On The Rise" in the BTB Section <<<

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jam View Post
    Let's go Yankees! The team has improved in every area, especially on the defensive end. Hoping they can come out on top of the AL East but the division is always tough.

Cardinals are the other team I root for and they just won their first game of the season. Nice to see Pujols back with them even if it's towards the end of his career.
    See you Yanks tomorrow.

Excited for baseball, for sure. I honestly didn't think we'd get a full season this year, if at all.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

Yankees are the team I've been rooting for the last few years, since the Pirates never compete or try to. It's been what, 13 years since the Yankees have won a World Series? Time for the Bronx Bombers to get back in it.

I'm hoping personally that Luis Severino can get back to what he was looking like before his injury. With that said, it's been 3 years since he's played a full season. He's got a big challenge ahead of him, but here's hoping he can do it. Aaron Judge is another favorite of mine, and I actually own his jersey. Here's hoping he has a big year too, it'd be nice to see him get back to swatting 50 homers like he did in his rookie season.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Boo hoo, poor Yankees not winning a World Series for a whole 13 years when they’ve won 27 in the past. I hope they miss the playoffs forever.

​​​

Spoiler:

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cult of Fuji

Status

When someone like Sulley and I live in an area that has poor management. We tend to not get overly excited about the team and just like the game itself.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Go Padres!

Rough start last night with a loss to Arizona but since it’s only one game in I’m not going to get down on them right away. Two months without Tatis Jr doesn’t sound ideal but hopefully we can manage, and hopefully he heals up quick and gets back out there.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Letterboxd

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    Go Padres!

Rough start last night with a loss to Arizona but since it’s only one game in I’m not going to get down on them right away. Two months without Tatis Jr doesn’t sound ideal but hopefully we can manage, and hopefully he heals up quick and gets back out there.
    The first couple months are always a crapshoot anyways. If the Padres can stay above water till Tatis comes back, I think they'll make a big run in the second half.

Status

As the Athletics time in Oakland is winding down, the billionaire owner is fully embracing the club's approach over the past 25ish years...

EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

I think my world series prediction is actually going to be Blue Jays vs Phillies. Two stacked teams that I think would make for a great world series show down.

Bo Bichette is an absolute beast for the Jays, while the Phillies have the likes of Harper and Realmuto.

Insert Clever Thing Here

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    Go Padres!

No Tatis will definitely hurt but CJ Abrams could end up filling in nicely. He's supposed to be a star.

TUFF

Status

Pretty good game between the Yankees and Red Sox. Donaldson winning it for his new team has to feel good for him. Game was back and forth the entire time. Yankees showed one of their strengths with their bullpen bailing Cole out, who struggled early on. Unfortunately, the biggest news is the Yankees not extending Judge. Hopefully it’s not a distraction the entire season but we’ll see.

Way too early to make a WS prediction but I’ve read many reports saying it’ll be a Blue Jays/Astros vs. Dodgers WS.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmlock View Post
    I think my world series prediction is actually going to be Blue Jays vs Phillies. Two stacked teams that I think would make for a great world series show down.

Bo Bichette is an absolute beast for the Jays, while the Phillies have the likes of Harper and Realmuto.
    I’ll take that, provided the result is the same as the last time they played in the Series.

Solid comeback win for the Jays last night, but Berrios only getting one out was pitiful.

​​​

Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Sean Manaea nearly threw a no-no for us last night but it wasn’t meant to be, still won though so can’t complain.

Speaking of which, today marks one year since Joe Musgrove threw the first ever no-hitter in Padres history, and I believe it was also the first no-no of the season last year.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

TUFF

Status

Yankees bullpen with another good day. Tomorrow should be interesting as the big arms will likely rest but they seem so solid from top to bottom. Severino looked good in his first outing since 2019. Sure, he gave up a homerun but I'll take this start for someone who hasn't pitched in a pretty good while.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I'm going to the Jays game today, so here's hoping they can pull off the sweep and send the Rangers out of town with their tails between their legs.

​​​

Spoiler:

Cardcaptor

Status

Welp, glad we didn't get swept to open the season. Obviously, losing your first two games to a rival sucks big time. But to cap off the series with a win is a much easier way to move on.

AVGVSTVS DE WC

Status
      Country                    Norway

The ending to that Rangers game was beyond fucked up.

Status

Yesterday the Dodgers pulled Clayton Kershaw when he was just six outs away from a perfect game, and the team had a solid 3 run lead.
    Last edited by Hemmlock; 04-14-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Very Important Lobster

Status

There's a lot of "back in my day" takes going on now with that. I understand why they did it, and I think Kershaw does too. Its tough as a fan because you do root for this sort of thing, but the dodgers aspirations for this season go beyond one prefect game in April. I would've like to see him give it a shot, and if you give up a hit you pull him. Make him promise he's not gonna throw any 95 mph fastballs.

Endol of the day though, its hard to argue that pulling him wasn't the smart move

AVGVSTVS DE WC

Status

Fuck the Dodgers anyways.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne "The Broc" Johnson View Post
    There's a lot of "back in my day" takes going on now with that. I understand why they did it, and I think Kershaw does too. Its tough as a fan because you do root for this sort of thing, but the dodgers aspirations for this season go beyond one prefect game in April. I would've like to see him give it a shot, and if you give up a hit you pull him. Make him promise he's not gonna throw any 95 mph fastballs.

Endol of the day though, its hard to argue that pulling him wasn't the smart move
    Yeah it's a controversial subject. Dodger fans don't realize it's not a guarantee they'd get a perfect game from Kershaw AND a Kershaw who stays healthy all season. At 34 years old, and coming off an injury that almost required surgery last year, the Dodgers have to be more careful than ever at managing him and keeping him healthy.

I'm a fantasy owner for Kershaw though, so I'd have liked to see him keep going.

One thing actually against the Dodgers is, Kershaw is just on a one year deal. He very well could walk next year...if it wasn't so early in the season, I don't know if they'd care as much about his pitch count. Although with that said, shows what kind of manager Dave Roberts is that he still does care about keeping Kershaw healthy despite his one year deal. It'd be nice to see Kershaw resign there. We don't see players spend their whole careers on teams anymore.

Insert Clever Thing Here

Status

Sooo the Angels intentionally walked Corey Seager with the bases loaded. That might be the weirdest thing I've seen in baseball.

Kayfabe rocked!

Status

BASEBALL ETIQUETTE #1

How to properly argue with an umpire as demonstrated by O's manager Earl Weaver:

https://youtu.be/f6cmqUTPn08

TUFF

Status

Gerrit Cole in his three starts this season:

11.1 IP, 8 ER, 9 H, 12 SO, 7 BB, 6.35 ERA

Big yikes. It's a good thing the rest of the starters have been pretty good and the bullpen has been pretty lights out aside from a couple of blunders. Hopefully Cole is able to figure it out because dude hasn't been the same since the spider tack stuff has been banned from baseball.

Status

Gerrit Cole in his three starts this season:

11.1 IP, 8 ER, 9 H, 12 SO, 7 BB, 6.35 ERA

Big yikes. It's a good thing the rest of the starters have been pretty good and the bullpen has been pretty lights out aside from a couple of blunders. Hopefully Cole is able to figure it out because dude hasn't been the same since the spider tack stuff has been banned from baseball.
    I've always been salty about Gerrit Cole every since the Pirates dumped him. Hated seeing him have so much success. Petty I know.

Him whining about things like a game starting a few minutes late and blaming that for his poor play though also doesn't make me want to root for him either.

Cult of Fuji

Status

I've always been salty about Gerrit Cole every since the Pirates dumped him. Hated seeing him have so much success. Petty I know.

Him whining about things like a game starting a few minutes late and blaming that for his poor play though also doesn't make me want to root for him either.
    It wasn't just him it was a few players who did decent after them dumping them because Nutting doesn't care and does Nutting for the team. He only cares about the profit and not putting a good team on the field. Surprised we have won a few games this season the High school team we are fielding.

TEAM CYRUS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wangman Page View Post
    It wasn't just him it was a few players who did decent after them dumping them because Nutting doesn't care and does Nutting for the team. He only cares about the profit and not putting a good team on the field. Surprised we have won a few games this season the High school team we are fielding.

But hey at least Seven Springs is doing well! Oh...wait never mind, he ruined that too.

Cult of Fuji

Status

But hey at least Seven Springs is doing well! Oh...wait never mind, he ruined that too.
    He sold it last December.

TEAM CYRUS

Insert Clever Thing Here

Status

Trevor Bauer has been suspended for 2 full seasons starting today. I knew a large suspension was coming considering they kept extending his leave, but I don't think I expected that large of a suspension. Absolutely deserved though.

Status

The other week I went to my first baseball game since 2019, and good god did I have fun with friends and just vibing with strangers.

Oriole Park At Camden Yards is just awesome.

I’m still not sure how I feel about them moving the left field wall back. But sure enough, as soon as I saw it. I knew it would lead to triples and possibly injuries to outfielders. Let’s hope no one gets hurt though.

In last nights game against Minnesota the O’s turned 5 double plays and hit 5 home runs. I’ll take anything positive I can get.

In Toronto, a Jays fan caught a Aaron Judge home run and gave it to the boy behind him wearing a Judge shirt. Later they both got to meet him. I love hearing about cool stuff like that!
    Last edited by BlackTiger; 05-06-2022 at 03:42 PM.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTiger View Post
    The other week I went to my first baseball game since 2019, and good god did I have fun with friends and just gibing with strangers.

Oriole Park At Camden Yards is just awesome.

I’m still not sure how I feel about them moving the left field wall back. But sure enough, as soon as I saw it. I knew it would lead to triples and possibly injuries to outfielders. Let’s hope no one gets hurt though.

In last nights game against Minnesota the O’s turned 5 double plays and hit 5 home runs. I’ll take anything positive I can get.

In Toronto, a Jays fan caught a Aaron Judge home run and gave it to the boy behind him wearing a Judge shirt. Later they both got to meet him. I love hearing about cool stuff like that!
    I just saw the followup. the kid considers the guy his best friend. Sweet kid. He bawled his eyes out when met Judge too. Awesome story.
    Indyfans Top ROH matches has got you covered

AVGVSTVS DE WC

Status

How the fuck did the Twins end up this good?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Mortis View Post
    How the fuck did the Twins end up this good?
    They’ve played against some of the worst teams in the league? I’d kill to have a schedule that includes the Tigers, Orioles and Royals this early in the season, not to mention the slumping A’s.

​​​

Spoiler:

Status

I’m not getting too excited, but the Orioles are actually looking kind of decent. They won 5 of their last 6 games. Beat the Twins twice, Royals twice, and won the opener against the Cardinals.(Of course they gave up an inside the park homer to Harrison Bader, but still lol.) Kyle Bradish had 11 Ks against STL. They’re also leading the league in turning double plays.

LFG.

Also: Josh Naylor of the Guardians got 8 RBIs in 3 plate appearances. Hitting a grand slam of Liam Hendricks.
    Last edited by BlackTiger; 05-11-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Status

Broke: Losing two out of three to the Reds
    Woke: Yelich hitting for the cycle

Baseball's a real roller coaster

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Status

Anthony Rendon bats as a lefty for the first time in his major league career against Brett Phillips during an Angels blowout/no hitter, and of course he hits a home run! You can’t make this stuff up
    Last edited by BlackTiger; 05-11-2022 at 06:27 PM.

Status

That was the absolute silliest thing I've ever seen. Last night must have been heaven on earth for Angels fans.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Status

Ah, there’s my Orioles. Giving all of birdland some false hope by winning a couple games...only to be completely destroyed. Stop red birds, that’s enough, they’re already dead

AVGVSTVS DE WC

Status

Twins/Astros game was suspended due to inclement weather: i.e., tornadoes touched down in most of the state including my county. Fun stuff.

Status

And just like that, the Orioles nice little 10 game run of winning some games has completely evaporated. A good majority of the key players are out with injuries, and they’ve lost like 4 straight.

Fans are really freaking out about them not calling up Adley, and while I want to see him debut in the bigs as much as anyone. I don’t think it would make a real difference at this point.

This whole set of games is against the AL East, so the Yankees specifically will be able to pull away with their league leading record.

Oh, and this happened:

Last edited by BlackTiger; 05-17-2022 at 02:55 PM.

Status

John Fisher, who worth a mere $2,200,000,000, is doing a bang on job of absolutely shredding the Oakland A's. Lots of non-A's fans seemed to think the winter sell-off (well, trade) of almost all talent was just another Beane-esque Moneyball rebuild. But it was asset stripping as those trades didn't net much for quality prospects. The team is now nothing but AAA and AA caliber players. 2nd lowest payroll in the MLB. ticket prices have gone up. Attendance is dead worst. Oh, and the A's record is also dead-worst in baseball.

Not a fun time to be an A's fan.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Cult of Fuji

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    John Fisher, who worth a mere $2,200,000,000, is doing a bang on job of absolutely shredding the Oakland A's. Lots of non-A's fans seemed to think the winter sell-off (well, trade) of almost all talent was just another Beane-esque Moneyball rebuild. But it was asset stripping as those trades didn't net much for quality prospects. The team is now nothing but AAA and AA caliber players. 2nd lowest payroll in the MLB. ticket prices have gone up. Attendance is dead worst. Oh, and the A's record is also dead-worst in baseball.

Not a fun time to be an A's fan.
    Be a Pirates fan it's worse.

TEAM CYRUS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wangman Page View Post
    Be a Pirates fan it's worse.

2022 payroll is 20m higher and current record is 5 games better. THEY'RE BETTER!

Seriously, i know how poorly and cheaply the Pirates have been run for decades now. its a pretty disgusting tactic by billionaire owners when they never make any effort at all to be competitive, and too many fanbases suffer for that.

Think what makes this talent stripping so frustrating is that it was so obvious and just an excuse to drive the move to Vegas. A's fans were whining when it was happening and I saw a fair bit of "you're overreacting, the deals look bad but you always ship out talent, you'll make the playoffs with a $20m payroll" type of dismissal of the concerns from fans of other teams. Fisher is burning everything down and seems to have little interest in selling, so if the team doesn't move, it will just be more of the same. And as always, fans just don't matter.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The Jays have finally fired Charlie Montoyo and I can't say I'm that upset. He seems like a genuinely good dude, but he was a horrible manager and totally lost the team this year. John Schneider has been promoted from Dukes of Hazzard bench coach to Interim Manager, so let's hope he also brings Daisy along for the rest of the season.

​​​

Spoiler:

Cardcaptor

Status

That was one hell of a terrible game for my Sox.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    That was one hell of a terrible game for my Sox.
    Man, I had to turn if off because I was starting to feel bad for them.

​​​

Spoiler:

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Man, I had to turn if off because I was starting to feel bad for them.
    Oh, it was nasty. Like, not even mad at the other team for winning so much, but yelling at your own team for being such a dumpster fire in their own field.

They started the year really hit or miss, very up and down. One game they'd put up 10+ on a team and look like a force, the next they'd get destroyed and look terrible. So I had meh expectations. Biggest issue seemed to be the bullpen, collapsing late. There was a very long start to the year where we did not win a game that went to extra innings, too.

But lately, it's been a whole lot more bad than good. And when you look at the record against AL East teams, I'm pretty sure we still have yet to win a series this season.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

The Padres just acquired Juan Soto and Josh Bell from the Nationals for a ridiculous amount of prospects. These prospects are so good that the Nationals moved from 24th to 8th in the farm system rankings in the space of a few minutes.

​​​

Spoiler:

AVGVSTVS DE WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    The Padres just acquired Juan Soto and Josh Bell from the Nationals for a ridiculous amount of prospects. These prospects are so good that the Nationals moved from 24th to 8th in the farm system rankings in the space of a few minutes.

It's dependent on Hosmer though, IIRC

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Mortis View Post
    It's dependent on Hosmer though, IIRC
    Apparently not. He's no longer part of the deal.

​​​

Spoiler:

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

It’s still a done deal and Padres get Soto and Bell, as well as keeping Hosmer and Washington will probably get someone else instead of him. As a Padres fan this makes me extremely happy to see them making these moves, and it gives me hope that there’s a chance I can see them win a World Series in my lifetime.

Washington got some solid prospects on their end too.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Legendary Dodgers announcer Vin Scully has passed away tonight at the age of 94. Huge loss for baseball and Dodgers fans.

Rest In Peace, Vin Scully.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Fernando Tatis Jr has been banned for 80 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. He’s already been out with an injury since the start of the season, but now he’ll miss the remainder of the season as well as half of next season.

My guess is that he took it to speed up his recovery time for his injury but as a Padres fan I am greatly disappointed by this news. Honestly I don’t even know what else to say, I’m just disappointed.
    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Letterboxd

Status

Oh Tatis Jr... #sad.

And the highlight of the A's season this year....

Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Thread Information