Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

[be more kind]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2022 Biggest Fall From Grace Ongoing Discussion

This is probably a year too late, but sod it I've been watching some of his matches recently so he's at the front of my mind. And you never know, maybe we won't have a rush of releases or an industry scandal this year.

Tyler Bate. Granted, he's a tag champ and still featured on NXT UK, but boy is it depressing watching him knowing he's not even fulfilling half of his BITW potential of 2/3 years ago. Being anchored to NXT UK has really hurt his progress as a must watch talent.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

was probably better for last year, but Chris Jericho feels like a shout, as at least personally, he's gone from one of my favored parts of AEW during his world title reign to me constantly hoping he somehow doesn't appear on Rampage or Dynamite.

I am fluent in Sarcasm

Status
      Country                    Canada

Early But Dakota Kai.

For the past 2 years. A constant threat for NXT Womens title

Now. Barley seen on TV

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Hommie View Post
    Early But Dakota Kai.

For the past 2 years. A constant threat for NXT Womens title

Now. Barley seen on TV
    Love her but wouldn't be surprised to see her on the open market by summer time. They seem to have no idea what to do with her.

Just gonna call my shot now and say Cody is gonna have a killer shot at a B2B here. You think he got bad in AEW, just wait till Vince gets bored of his new toy and has him stuck in the midcard making millions to wrestle Madcap Moss in a 15 match series.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

I am fluent in Sarcasm

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Love her but wouldn't be surprised to see her on the open market by summer time. They seem to have no idea what to do with her.

Just gonna call my shot now and say Cody is gonna have a killer shot at a B2B here. You think he got bad in AEW, just wait till Vince gets bored of his new toy and has him stuck in the midcard making millions to wrestle Madcap Moss in a 15 match series.

Heel Champion

Status

Depending on match quality, I feel like the Young Bucks have potential to get nom'd here. Their acting has just gotten significantly worse. I don't know if they're exhausted behind the scenes or something but holy fuck. I know they had a rep for not being the best promo guys or actors before, but it was at least passable to me, but now they just come off so unnatural and dare I say, overly scripted.
    Vote on WC's Top 15 AEW Acts of 2021 Here:
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=177261

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

What about Andrade?

For years and years everyone rated this guy as someone who could be a Star and a World Champion if not for the WWE.

It only took a few months in AEW before everyone was sick of him and realised he's actually insufferably dull and all he can do to be entertaining is work a gimmick where he's essentially really dumb.

Status

Are people sick of Andrade? At least around here I think the consensus is, much like Miro when he came into AEW, that he's languished in kind of a shitty role. Not to say that might not make him FFG material as well, but at least speaking for myself Andrade's ring work has still been pretty strong and he's making the most out of this AHFO thing with scattered funny moments. I'm definitely not sick of him and am actively hoping AEW will get more behind him going forward.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Tough sell on either of these for me, because I'm still enjoying both The Bucks and Andrade quite a bit... Especially Andrade and his incapability to understand what friendship is. And, what is he really falling from? Expectations for him are kinda high among certain fans but he hasn't really been in a great position for like 3 years. I do recognize that his usage is possibly below where it "should" be, but on the other hand he just challenged for the TNT Title and will be against Darby, Sting and Sammy at the PPV. Not too awful. I don't see this AHFO thing lasting much longer either, so we'll have to see what happens after that.

Heel Champion

Status

I don't really get the Andrade hate myself. I personally agree with EC, I think him not understanding friendship is really interesting character development, I wouldn't call it as him being "dumb". It's more-so him being blinded by a lavish lifestyle where money can buy anything. He also doesn't have anything to fall from. I don't know why people expect instant gratification with him, I like his slow development and he still does great ring work.

Toxic Attraction

Status

Are people sick of Andrade? At least around here I think the consensus is, much like Miro when he came into AEW, that he's languished in kind of a shitty role. Not to say that might not make him FFG material as well, but at least speaking for myself Andrade's ring work has still been pretty strong and he's making the most out of this AHFO thing with scattered funny moments. I'm definitely not sick of him and am actively hoping AEW will get more behind him going forward.
    Very much disagree I enjoy Andrade and for a guy whose English isn't that great he's improving I also think in ring talented af love to see him and PNP sync up tho

Spoiler:

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I feel like if ROH was allowed to make the cut last year and we’re delving into general annoyances, I would say the booking of the TNT Championship has been pretty out of sorts so far this year. I know that the devotees will say “but what about that Sammy and Cody match?”, but even the set-up to that felt awkwardly done (Cody can’t be there for a show so we need a interim champion for a week). I know that this could change throughout the year but I feel like the championship doesn’t really know what it wants to be and the hot potato reigns are starting to feel a little TNA for my liking.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I’m sure there’ll be better nominations to come but I’ll agree the TNT title booking has been pretty messy. I’m fine with it changing hands more often than the world title but it’s so frequent lately and we’ve already had a couple of two-time champs in its short history.

Dunno if Miro was injured yet when he dropped the belt but it simply wasn’t the right time for that reign to end or the right person to pass it onto.

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Dunno if Miro was injured yet when he dropped the belt but it simply wasn’t the right time for that reign to end or the right person to pass it onto.
    The fact that Miro didn't wrestle until he was needed to make a sudden return to take the place of Mox suggests he was injured.

Status

I actually thought Sammy at the time was a good choice to get the belt off of Miro. He felt like a pretty hot up and coming babyface at the time and there was a general sense of optimism that he'd take the ball and run with it. Instead he sort of just exposed himself as a boring face character and a bad face wrestler.

Pretty sure either way the belt was pulled off Miro so he could heal up though, unless he just coincidentally got injured in that very match.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

I actually thought Sammy at the time was a good choice to get the belt off of Miro. He felt like a pretty hot up and coming babyface at the time and there was a general sense of optimism that he'd take the ball and run with it. Instead he sort of just exposed himself as a boring face character and a bad face wrestler.

Pretty sure either way the belt was pulled off Miro so he could heal up though, unless he just coincidentally got injured in that very match.
    Was he boring or was he just not given anything of substance to do during these reigns?

Слава Україні!

Status
      Country                    Ukraine

he's boring, but it's a little bit of both probably.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Was he boring or was he just not given anything of substance to do during these reigns?
    I mean the programs didn't do him any favors but when the best thing you're bringing to the table is... I dunno, cheesy cue card promos during commercial breaks?

Nothing about Sammy's personality sparkled at all during his run(s), compared to say Miro who very rarely had a consistent program with anyone but managed to get over his personality and character really effectively with what time he had. Combine that with Miro playing his role really well in matches while Sammy succumbed to the tired Super Sammy formula more times than necessary, and it came off as very night and day.

The TNT title seems to be set up to be defended frequently which makes it less ideal for long-term feuds and storylines but it also gives you a chance to showcase yourself a lot and Sammy didn't really do anything with that showcase to impress me. Honestly just made me think he's not very good as a babyface.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

This really might be Sammy's award for the taking after last night

[be more kind]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    This really might be Sammy's award for the taking after last night
    Easily solved if they turn him heel. Big IF though.

I sorta wanna nominate PAC for this. He just seems so irrelevant in AEW these days, so far gone from where he was mixing it up with Omega and Moxley.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Heel Champion

Status

PAC is a weird one because I feel like he should be doing more but the COVID travel issues + injuries to Death Triangle kinda fucked him more than anything else. He doesn't feel any more or less relevant than he ever was in the company, but he doesn't feel detrimental to the product either, so idk I wouldn't really call it a fall from grace

I feel like PAC, in general, hasn't been the star many expected him to be in his entire AEW run. Maybe it's because I'm not a regular viewer, but he feels more like a part-timer due to COVID and the injuries. I guess 2021 was a better year for him than 2020, but being a contender for this award doesn't feel completely appropriate. I hate to say this, but if PAC were released tomorrow, I don't know if I would really notice.

Fire Walk with Me

Status

I can totally see why PAC is on the list, he was someone who I thought would get their redemption arc in AEW, especially as "The Bastard" stuff was fresh. However, I kinda feel a bit more 'meh' about Andrade. PAC, as some have said seems to have become a victim of circumstance, whereas it feels like there was never any solid plans for Andrade other then hiring him for the hype of it. Yes, he wasn't a MAJOR deal on the main roster but NXT I think gave him enough of a pedestal to get through that. I think dragging on the HFO/AHFO/AFO just seemed like something to keep him occupied and now it feels like he's in creative purgatory.

Fire Walk with Me

Status

I know it just seems like I’m trolling AEW now but does Jeff Hardy qualify? I’d argue he didn’t get great booking in WWE and while he’s getting better booking in AEW, I think it’s showing that he’s way past his prime by this point. He probably hasn’t got as far to fall compared to some previous suggestions but with Hardy it’s less of a waste of a potential and more of a head scratcher as to why he’s being given the opportunity above those who have potential but aren’t being used.

World Champion

Status

His physical shape has taken a huge fall from grace but booking-wise it wouldn't really be fair to consider him. Plus he's still creating these "holy shit" moments (even if I wish he wouldn't) so I don't feel I can cosign that.

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    I know it just seems like I’m trolling AEW now but does Jeff Hardy qualify? I’d argue he didn’t get great booking in WWE and while he’s getting better booking in AEW, I think it’s showing that he’s way past his prime by this point. He probably hasn’t got as far to fall compared to some previous suggestions but with Hardy it’s less of a waste of a potential and more of a head scratcher as to why he’s being given the opportunity above those who have potential but aren’t being used.
    Quick - name one thing Jeff Hardy did in 2021.

If nothing else, 2022 was the year where Hardy became relevant again for a few weeks with his release and everyone waiting for him to join AEW. Seems like a step-up to me.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Can’t believe Jim doesn’t remember Jeff Hardy becoming the first man in WWE to defeat Karrion Kross!
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Quick - name one thing Jeff Hardy did in 2021.

If nothing else, 2022 was the year where Hardy became relevant again for a few weeks with his release and everyone waiting for him to join AEW. Seems like a step-up to me.
    He walked out in the middle of a WWE match like a total unprofessional and then said it was "God's will" or something like that.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 05-13-2022 at 10:06 AM.

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Can’t believe Jim doesn’t remember Jeff Hardy becoming the first man in WWE to defeat Karrion Kross!
    It kind of blows my mind that that happened less than a year ago. With so much happening to Kross since then (Trying to rationalize the loss, the NXT Title loss, the disappearance of Scarlett, the new ring gear, the release, being a nutjob, seemingly becoming ROH's new top star, and missing Supercard of Honor), the Hardy loss feels like it happened ages and ages ago.

Heel Champion

Status

Bringing up Jeff as a nomination right after the match with Darby is a weirdly timed one ngl, but if it was before that, maybe? Even then, he hasn't really been relevant all this time, don't really feel like he has fallen off from anyone's graces that badly just yet

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Bringing up Jeff as a nomination right after the match with Darby is a weirdly timed one ngl, but if it was before that, maybe? Even then, he hasn't really been relevant all this time, don't really feel like he has fallen off from anyone's graces that badly just yet
    meh..the match wasnt all that great ngl
    Indyfans Top ROH matches has got you covered

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Maybe it was brought up because he was involved in catching Darby from a high fall that he did in front of Owen Hart’s widow?

​​​

Spoiler:

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Maybe it was brought up because he was involved in catching Darby from a high fall that he did in front of Owen Hart’s widow?
    Jesus...thats kind of tasteless

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think it's just pure coincidence. Darby was always going to pull of something like that when against Jeff Hardy. Perhaps they should've scrapped it with Martha Hart there.

World Champion

Status

Jesus Christ. It was a nutty wrestling spot like Darby has done hundreds of times before. AEW are supposed to say no stunt bumps tonight because Martha Hart is in the building? Pretty sad if we're really being that sensitive. And it's not like this spot was played up anything like Kanyon being hurled through the stage at Slamboree 2000. That was tasteless. This was just a natural byproduct of Darby Allin facing Jeff Hardy.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Jesus Christ. It was a nutty wrestling spot like Darby has done hundreds of times before. AEW are supposed to say no stunt bumps tonight because Martha Hart is in the building? Pretty sad if we're really being that sensitive. And it's not like this spot was played up anything like Kanyon being hurled through the stage at Slamboree 2000. That was tasteless. This was just a natural byproduct of Darby Allin facing Jeff Hardy.
    It’s not a question of being sensitive dude. It was a stupid spot to do in a match on free tv, in front of a woman who’s husband died from a high fall, and at the end of the day it was for a grand total of less fucking viewers than the show normally gets.

It…was…dumb. End of story.

​​​

Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    It’s not a question of being sensitive dude. It was a stupid spot to do in a match on free tv, in front of a woman who’s husband died from a high fall, and at the end of the day it was for a grand total of less fucking viewers than the show normally gets.

It…was…dumb. End of story.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were the arbiter of wrestling spots.

Certainly seems like a question of sensitivity based on how you broached the topic. I can understand thinking the move is dumb for being done on free TV to a lower than average audience, although even then I feel like that's the wrestlers' prerogative and I can't for the life of me understand why a viewer would be against seeing a crazy spot like that for free. But, I haven't heard anything come out about Martha being displeased with the spot, and I'd say given her track record, we would've heard about it by now if it did bother her. I don't think anyone needs to be upset on her behalf without knowing how she felt about it or even if the spot was ran by her beforehand.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I don’t need to be the arbiter of wrestling spots to realize it was fucking stupid.

​​​

Spoiler:

World Champion

Status

So because Darby is limited in wrestling skills while facing Jeff Hardy, thats an ok excuse? Just think if this happened in the E how much theyd be criticized for it.

Darby being Darby isn't an excuse for stupidity and tastelessness.

And the main blame from me is on Kahn. He should of used his head in this instance. Don't do the match if Martha is there and if Darby is so limited that he needlessly needs to rely on death drop spots to wow a crowd.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Tbh, at this point, we’re probably getting closer and closer to seeing someone cripple themselves permanently on an AEW program.

But, as per usual, this will be solely construed as me hating on their product or not enjoying how fun it is or some such nonsense.

​​​

Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Shock, its the usual suspects.

I'm sure Martha Hart was aware that AEW had high spots and falls before giving the OK to use Owen's name.

It was a dumb spot in terms of the long term wellbeing of both, but if Darby wants to continue to shorten his career then whatever.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

World Champion

Status