Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

WCW The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

That’s right. It’s been four years since the completion of my last ambitious (vanity) project where I reviewed the 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996-2005). Of course, if you haven’t already, you should absolutely check that out, links in my signature.

My original plan was to go back and review the 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986-1995), and that is something I fully intend to do one day. However when drafting up the list of matches for that, I found a real lack of variety which hurt my motivation for writing it since that list will end up being completely dominated by two wrestlers in particular.

I had originally planned my 100 Greatest WCW Matches project a couple years ago. Life, and disillusion with wrestling as a whole put that on the backburner until a few months ago where I got the urge to do this. So I fired up my Network subscription, dusted off the old Google Sheets, and started binge watching more WCW than should be legally allowed.

What I loved about this is the amount of freedom that the list allowed me. In my WWE lists, there was an abundance of matches that I’d describe as 4 Star matches, which was around about the bench mark to qualify for a top 100 spot. In WCW, somewhat surprisingly, there isn’t that standard. This means that the start of this list is a bit wild in terms of match choices because I feel more free to pick favourites rather than stuff that people would associate with greatness.

In my previous entries, I would often talk about the legacy of each match. I’ll still do that where appropriate, but this list is much more susceptible to your hidden gem TV matches that don’t have much legacy outside of being great. So don’t be surprised if I don’t go into the legacy of matches until we start to get further up the list.

The criteria:

This is the Greatest WCW Matches of all time. For my own sanity, this will strictly only cover the time period from 11th October 1988 to 26th March 2001. This gives a nice time period of just over 12 years, and keeps it clear of what constitutes a WCW match, and not the previous names. When I get to the end, please don’t hate me because I didn’t put Magnum TA vs Tully Blanchard on there.

Secondly, only matches that aired on TV or PPV are eligible. I know this sounds obvious, but it would be a total headache (and quite a boring read) if I hunted down every handheld copy of Steamboat and Flair from 1989 and loaded the top of my list with it.

Other than that, there’s nothing that goes into the criteria other than “this is the match I enjoy watching the most” or “this is 67th best match that I enjoy watching the most”.

A few shout outs:

• Cagematch.net - honestly how we ever managed without this website is beyond me. A great source of filtering what was and was not worth watching.
    • Jim - his reviews and his handy spreadsheet helped me make sure that I hadn’t accidentally missed something like War Games 1992. A great resource to cross-reference, and is greatly appreciated.

Charity / Shock bribes the forum to post

I’m fully aware that due to the time period involved and some of the obscurity of some of these matches, we may not always get a lot of responses in the thread and that’s okay. But I would love you guys to read up and if I get even a couple people to watch some random WCW Saturday Night match from 1994 or some 9 minute Nitro spotfest from 1999, then I’ll be pretty happy. If you do have any insight/disagreements, or just general thoughts, please be active as it’s great to read.

I am however going to do a few things to freshen this up and drive a little initial buzz, starting with a neat competition for charity. We’re going to do 3 charity questions for a total of £100 to donate to charity.

I’m starting this series on Saturday 5th, so get your guesses in before then:

Question 1:
    The No. 100 match has four wrestlers that appear once on the list and never again. Who are these four wrestlers?
    Four guesses each, first one to get a wrestler gets £10 donated to a charity of their choice for each correct wrestler. Side note, there’s not much point in guessing any wrestler that someone else has guessed, as they’d get the charity money for getting it right and not you. So keep your guesses different to everyone else’s to give yourself the best shot.

For each wrestler that isn’t guessed, I’ll donate £10 to a charity of my choice

Question 2:
    Between No.100 and No.51, which wrestler appears the most times?
    It’s easy to work out who will probably have the most matches at the end, but is it as easy to guess who has the most low-end matches on the list? One guess here. £10 to a charity of your choice if you get them right, again on a first-come-first-serve basis (so keep them different to others’ guesses!). This will be revealed after the number 51 match has been posted.

If the wrestler isn’t guessed correctly, I’ll donate £10 to a charity of my choice.

Question 3:
    Which 5 wrestlers appear on this list the most and in which order?
    You only get points for a wrestler that appears in the spot you guessed. So if you guessed Prince Iaukea as the number 1 wrestler who appeared the most, and he actually appeared the second most, you get 0 points. In this one you’re just looking to get it right, so don’t worry about guessing what others have guessed as long as there’s a slight difference. Closest person to the top 5 will get £50 donated to a charity of their choosing.

This will be revealed at the end of the list. If nobody gets any spots right (heaven forbid), I'll donate the money to a charity of my choice.

I may do further charity stuff through the project so watch this space.

Let yourself go crazy with other predictions too. Who will appear the most? What will be the most represented year? Will 2000 or 2001 have any matches pop up?

The List:
    Spoiler:

100. Ernest Miller & Glacier vs. Mortis & Wrath - WCW Bash At The Beach 1997
    99. The Nasty Boys vs. The Steiner Brothers - WCW Halloween Havoc 1990
    98. Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton & Larry Zbyszko vs. Dustin Rhodes,Nikita Koloff & Ricky Steamboat - WCW Saturday Night, 23rd May 1992
    97. Doom vs. Arn Anderson & Barry Windham - WCW Starrcade 1990
    96. Lex Luger vs. Stan Hansen - WCW Starrcade 1990
    95. Belfast Bruiser vs. Steven Regal - WCW Nitro, 29th April 1996
    94. Ric Flair vs. Sting - WCW Great American Bash 1990
    93. Kevin Greene, Ric Flair & Roddy Piper vs. Kevin Nash, Scott Hall & Syxx - WCW Slamboree 1997
    92. Chris Benoit vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Nitro, 16th October 1995
    91. Juventud Guerrera & Rey Misterio Jr vs. LA Parka & Psychosis - WCW Nitro, 15th December 1997
    90. Chavo Guerrero Jr vs. Rey Mysterio Jr - Superbrawl Revenge
    89. The Boss vs. Vader - WCW Spring Stampede 1994
    88. Hulk Hogan vs. Ric Flair - WCW Bash At The Beach 1994
    87. Doom vs. Arn Anderson & Ric Flair - Halloween Havoc 1990
    86. Billy Kidman vs. Rey Misterio Jr - WCW Nitro, 15th March 1999
    85. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Randy Savage - WCW Spring Stampede 1997
    84. Billy Kidman & Rey Misterio Jr vs. Elix Skipper & Primetime - WCW Greed 2001
    83. Goldberg vs. Scott Steiner - WCW Fall Brawl 2000
    82. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Randy Savage - WCW Halloween Havoc 1997
    81. Chris Benoit vs. Sting - WCW Nitro, 20th September 1999
    80. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs. Larry Zbyszko & Steve Austin - WCW Superbrawl 2
    79. Barry Windham vs. Steven Regal - WCW Worldwide, 17th April 1993
    78. Booker T vs. Chris Benoit - WCW Great American Bash 1998
    77. Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair - WCW Great American Bash 1995
    76. Brian Pillman vs. Ric Flair - WCW Saturday Night, 13th April 1991
    75. Ricky Steamboat vs. Terry Funk - WCW Clash of the Champions VII
    74. Akira Hokuto & Bull Nakano vs. Cutie Suzuki & Mayumi Ozaki - WCW World War 3 1995
    73. Chris Benoit vs. Raven - WCW Souled Out 1998
    72. Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham - WCW Saturday Night, 6th June 1992
    71. Chris Benoit vs. Diamond Dallas Page vs. Raven - WCW Uncensored 1998
    70. Arn Anderson, Bunkhouse Buck, Colonel Parker & Terry Funk vs. Dustin Rhodes, Dusty Rhodes & The Nasty Boys - WCW Fall Brawl 1994
    69. Ricky Steamboat vs. Steve Austin - WCW Clash of Champions 28
    68. Cactus Jack & Maxx Payne vs. The Nasty Boys - WCW Spring Stampede 1994
    67. Arn Anderson & Ric Flair vs. The Hollywood Blonds - WCW Clash of the Champions 23
    66. Ricky Steamboat vs. Steve Austin - WCW Bash at the Beach 1994
    65. Arn Anderson vs. Ric Flair - WCW Fall Brawl 1995
    64. Chris Benoit vs. Jeff Jarrett - WCW Starrcade 1999
    63. Fabulous Freebirds & The Samoan SWAT Team vs The Midnight Express & The Road Warriors & Steve Williams - WCW Great American Bash 1989
    62. Ricky Steamboat vs. Steven Regal - WCW Fall Brawl 1993
    61. Barry Windham & Dustin Rhodes vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas - WCW Clash of Champions 21
    60. Cactus Jack vs. Sting - WCW Power Hour, 23rd November 1991
    59. Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera vs. Psychosis vs. Rey Mysterio Jr - WCW Monday Nitro, 19th April 1999
    58. Ric Flair & Steve Austin vs. Ricky Steamboat & Sting - WCW Saturday Night, 30th July 1994
    57. Heavenly Bodies vs. Rock N Roll Express - WCW Superbrawl 3
    56. Steven Regal vs. Ultimo Dragon - WCW Slamboree 1997
    55. Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko vs. Raven & Perry Saturn - WCW Spring Stampede 1999
    54. Cactus Jack vs. Sting - WCW Beach Blast 1992
    53. Lex Luger vs. Ric Flair - WCW Clash of Champions 12
    52. Bunkhouse Buck vs. Dustin Rhodes - WCW Spring Stampede 1994
    51. Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero - WCW Fall Brawl 1997
    50. Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat - WCW Superbrawl 1992

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: The 100 Greatest WCW Matches

I clicked on the spoiler tag.

Looking forward to this, though I do also hope to see the WWF list eventually. I'll work on my guesses in a little bit. Can't wait to see how many David Flair matches we get.

​​​

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

Cool idea. I remember spending a year or so a while ago doing a similar thing going through all the praised WCW stuff I hadn't seen, it definitely changed my perception of a lot guys and opened my eyes to how good guys some guys outside the WWE canon were. Looking forward to see what hidden gems you throw up because there are a lot, especially in the first half of the '90s.

Question 1. Bull Nakano, Akira Hokuto, Cutie Suzuki, Mayumi Ozaki

Question 2. Ricky Steamboat

Question 3.

1. Ric Flair
    2. Chris Benoit
    3. Rey Mysterio Jr
    4. Sting
    5. DDP

WAKE UP

Status

My guess for the 4 workers at #100 are Jamie Noble, Evan Koragous, Jimmy Yang & Kaz Hayashi

#2. Tough one. My guess is going to be Foley.

#3. Flair, Steamboat, Vader, Sting, Arn

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

1. I feel like Jim or Steve probably already nailed it but let me take a shot in the dark with Elix Skipper, Kid Romeo, Air Styles and Air Paris.

2. Booker T?

3. Starting from 5... Mysterio, Benoit, Steamboat, Sting, Flair

Fantasy Booking Football

Status
      Country                    Europe

Delighted to see this! Your first WWE list is one of the first things that caught my eye whenever I first signed up here and thoroughly enjoyed following along catching up with matches I’d never really considered checking out or had forgotten about. My WCW watching is sparse, so I expect to find a lot here I’ve not seen but it’ll give me a reason to go and check the matches out.

1. Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin, Samu & Fatu
    2. Sting
    3. Ric Flair, Sting, Mysterio, Vader, Steamboat

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    1. I feel like Jim or Steve probably already nailed it but let me take a shot in the dark with Elix Skipper, Kid Romeo, Air Styles and Air Paris.
    Honestly, I feel like this could be virtually anything. My first instinct was likely something with the lesser luchadores. Something involving Blitzkrieg for example. However, I couldn't find anything likely since the four-way/tag matches with Blitzkrieg involved Rey Mysterio Jr and there's no way Rey only appears once on Shock's list. Another idea was along the lines of Wolf Beast with a typically lame team having one notable match. I thought about The Freebirds, The Nasty Boys, and Pretty Wonderful, but nothing stood out. Maybe it could be an ultra rare good Outsiders match, but that would likely involve The Steiners or Lex Luger, both acts probably popping up elsewhere on the list. I went with my pick since it's one specific quality match that happened on PPV involving wrestlers who practically never popped up in the company again.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Glad to see this finally get started Shock, your wrestling review projects are one of my favourite things in the site's history. I should be familiar enough with the top end stuff from doing the WCW list years ago, but the bottom half perhaps will be stuff that flew under the radar.

Predictions:

1. idk The Nasty Boys and Public Enemy
    2. I'll say Benoit.
    3. Flair, Benoit, Mysterio, Sting, Vader
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

1. Evan Karagias, Jamie Knoble, Kaz Hayashi & Jimmy Yang
    I think this is the obvious one

2. Ricky Steamboat

3. Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat, Chris Benoit, Brian Pillman & Dustin Rhodes

Comeback King

Status

Looking forward to this Shock! I won't make any predictions as I frankly know nothing about the early stages of WCW so this is going to be very educational for me.
    WWE: The New Vision| Former BTB Overlord | Order's Interviews

BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    SIX BTBOTM AWARDS

[be more kind]

Status

I'm in the same boat as Order, but will always be keeping track.

Sent from my Nokia 2.3 using Tapatalk

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Japan

Question 1: Glacier, Ernest Miller, Mortis & Wrath

Question 2: Dean Malenko

Question 3: Ric Flair, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko

Indy Talent

Status

Looking forward to reading this. Your top 100 lists were my main reads when I first started lurking here. Really enjoyed them. My WCW knowledge is woefully poor so I’ll refrain from predictions, but I’ve always wanted to get into the company’s history more so this will be just the ticket. All the best.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Just one more day to get those predictions in, then we're going to kick this off tomorrow morning.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Just one more day to get those predictions in, then we're going to kick this off tomorrow morning.
    Oi, be a teasing bitch. Say if someone has gotten any bonus questions right...without saying who.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oi, be a teasing bitch. Say if someone has gotten any bonus questions right...without saying who.
    I want more predictions before I will divulge such information. Otherwise you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Ernest Miller & Glacier vs. Mortis & Wrath
    WCW Bash At The Beach 1997

That’s right, fellas. What sort of top 100 list would be complete without … *checks notes* …Glacier. Has my list jumped the shark in record time? Well I’ll let you good people decide that. But Zero knows the score as he correctly guessed all four guys. Does this mean that he and I are on the same wavelength? Or maybe he just knows my obscene taste in wrestling? Or does he have the inside track to my Google Sheets and all my personal data? Who could say? In any case, I’m happy to be donating the full £40 to a charity of his choice.

Now the question is, am I just taking the piss, or is this actually worthy of a top 100 spot? Well, the thing I like about the top spots is you can be a bit weird about it and I like to use these spots for more “favourites” rather than something that may be technically better. This is more so true for me these days where my perspective on wrestling has become more about what I find fun, and trying not to overthink things too much (I still like being analytical when watching wrestling where appropriate as you’ll see later on in the list, mind you). I also think there’s something to be said for a wrestling match that just completely blows away your expectations. I will always credit a match for being better than it has any right to be, and that fits the bill here.

This is a legitimately very good opener and a fine match in it's own right. It’s pretty much everything you’d want in an opener to a pay-per-view. It’s exciting, the crowd’s into it, it never slows down, and they’re well into every wrestler. Despite Ernest Miller and Glacier being a team right out of WWE 2k’s universe mode random generator, their martial arts style of wrestling worked surprisingly well in this tag setting as the fiery babyfaces. The heels do a great job of working over the faces, including some great tag moves, and Mortis in particular shows the flashes of what he would be as a solid wrestler with some awesome looking power moves. About half way through there’s a sick looking chair shot against the ring post, to which Tony Schiavone says “balance is so important to Martial Artists, and that could have taken the balance away from Glacier”. That’s such a classic 90s Schiavone piece of commentary.

Schiavone then goes on to talk about the mysterious past between Mortis and Glacier. We know, Schiavone, we all played Mortal Kombat II. But in all seriousness, they actually did a good job of getting across that there was hatred between these guys.

Another factor of this match is James Vandenberg, otherwise known as James Mitchell. He’s another of those guys that always pops up in random spots in wrestling history, and here he is managing Mortis and Wrath, and ultimately proves to be the difference. Like any good manager he distracts the ref at just the right time so that the cheating doesn’t become

I think this is a perfect representation about a lot of things you’re going to see in this list. Good fucking tag wrestling. If you aren’t keen on tag wrestling, you’ll probably hate this list because WCW did it better than most companies ever. They had a knack of churning out well paced, well structured tag team matches and this is no exception.

As mentioned in the teaser, all four guys make one appearance and then never again. And while I have no great affinity for Wrath or Glacier (all time hilarious gimmick, though), I do have to give some love to Mortis and Ernest Miller. Particularly in the dying days of WCW when fun talent was difficult to come by, The Cat and Chris Kanyon were each extremely entertaining characters in a dark time for the company, and even if I can give them just a little shout out with this spot on my list, I’m happy. Also big ups to Ernest Miller for being the first man to appear on my WCW and one of my WWE lists (as a participant in the 2004 Royal Rumble).

This might come under “guilty pleasure”, but wrestling is all about fun, and I always find myself smiling from ear to ear when I watch this match. Check this out, switch your brain off, and enjoy some of WCW’s most bizarre gimmicks hitting lightning in a bottle.

Next up - One of my all time favourite tag teams and … the Nasty Boys?

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

Mother fucker, I missed out on the nasty boys getting me the win by 1 spot?

Top of the list should always go to a personal favourite. More interesting than just naming another just good Ric Flair match. I can’t say I’ve ever seen this match but I’ll check it out.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Glacier/Cat vs Mortis/Wrath was better than it had any right to be. It's far better than the other matches in the feud, but that's not saying much. Personally, I preferred both teams' matches against The Faces of Fear (Fall Brawl 1997 & World War 1997) more though.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information