Thread: The future of Gabrielle in FWA

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The future of Gabrielle in FWA

I just wanted to post this before I post my promo as its quite a step away from how I have been writing Gabs for roughly the past year.

I figure the best thing I can do is start right at the beginning. I don’t want to make anything of this, long time ago now, no point dwelling on it. But the Desert Storm match with Sulley did genuinely bum me out. It’s the one time I’ve felt robbed with a result, and I genuinely did feel that way at the time. Even told Sulley I was done with the FWA at that point, which I was. And I have at times wondered if it would have jest been better for me to step away then, even just briefly.

The ‘Broken’ Gabs character stuff that emerged after that in the CC match was a knee jerk reaction born from those feelings. I felt slighted and bummed out and part of me thought writing that promo could almost be cathartic towards that, or even just making something of those feelings.

I did come to enjoy writing Gabrielle like this. Initially it was really easy to write these promos, the different style, the story format it was easier than just writing a Wrestling promo.

But something I’ve been thinking about in recent weeks, largely since coming back after a few months off is I think I’ve still held onto that sort of bitterness and resentment from Desert Storm. Like writing that Gabrielle sort of means getting into a certain headspace and writing about all the anger and hate she feels and all that was bumming me out.

Like I’ll admit losses bum me out thesedays more than they ever have. And I think that’s just again me holding onto some of that shit to write Gabrielle. And I’ve stopped rating my own work, I’ve mentioned this to a few people already but I’ve thought very little of most of my recent promos, even largely thinking they were complete garbage.

Which brings me to why I’m making this post. I’m going to be changing the character up, or rather just largely pulling her out of this spiral and depression and cant promise I’ll tie up every loose end and have her newfound happiness be entirely logical. I want to write a happier character again. A fun character. I want to enjoy the FWA again, as I haven’t truly enjoyed the FWA for a while, but I’m also not ready to just retire the character after such a long time.

I did have long term plans for the whole Dark Passenger stuff but will probably just be dropping it. Maybe its something I’ll come back to down the line, but likely not.

The main reason I’ve said all of this, Is just so everyone understands why the new character arc of the character might be so sudden, and just ask for a bit of leeway/understanding for why she’s abruptly a happier character.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The future of Gabrielle in FWA

I appreciate this message. Sorry for missing it amid Meltdown production. Thank you for saying this. I know 2021 was a shitty year for you in FWA and I think the Gabby-Sulley result was ... well, difficult looking back I guess, for everyone involved, even Sulley himself has said this.

I just want you to know I think Gabby in 2021 was one of the most unique characters we've ever had and it shows your skill to turn some real-life emotions into the character. It was pretty spectacular, even if it meant harboring some negative emotions for you. I am glad, for you, that the story is progressing to a lighter and happier moment.

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x FWA World Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    7x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

Liv Forever

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    I appreciate this message. Sorry for missing it amid Meltdown production. Thank you for saying this. I know 2021 was a shitty year for you in FWA and I think the Gabby-Sulley result was ... well, difficult looking back I guess, for everyone involved, even Sulley himself has said this.

I just want you to know I think Gabby in 2021 was one of the most unique characters we've ever had and it shows your skill to turn some real-life emotions into the character. It was pretty spectacular, even if it meant harboring some negative emotions for you. I am glad, for you, that the story is progressing to a lighter and happier moment.
    I did enjoy writing this Gabby early on, it was some character development when I had been already trying to tweak the character and develop the character but couldn't hit the right groove or anything. But just yeah I've realised that writing that character means I'm holding onto some negativity and dont want too.

Sun Tuh-Zoo

Status
      Country                    UK

Like TGO, I was intending on commenting on this sooner but grading etc got in the way so please do accept my apologies for that.m. I think the choice you’ve made is a perfectly reasonable one and if it is going to help you enjoy doing this more, then I’m all for the change up in the character no matter how sudden it may be or seem. After all, if you’re not enjoying this then there is really no other reason for doing it when it comes down to it. So as someone who was not around much before the broken Gabby character I am very excited to see what you do with her next in terms of your promos and your characterisation of her. The character was one of my favourites and I did feel for you when you didn’t win Storyline of the Year as I did have you as my favourite for it. Thank you for sharing, ETE.

Liv Forever

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    Like TGO, I was intending on commenting on this sooner but grading etc got in the way so please do accept my apologies for that.m. I think the choice you’ve made is a perfectly reasonable one and if it is going to help you enjoy doing this more, then I’m all for the change up in the character no matter how sudden it may be or seem. After all, if you’re not enjoying this then there is really no other reason for doing it when it comes down to it. So as someone who was not around much before the broken Gabby character I am very excited to see what you do with her next in terms of your promos and your characterisation of her. The character was one of my favourites and I did feel for you when you didn’t win Storyline of the Year as I did have you as my favourite for it. Thank you for sharing, ETE.
    Thanks. I aim to hold onto some little things or style that Broken Gabby added to the character. But overall I need to write a different character than super depressed Gabrielle just to get out of this funk I've felt towards the FWA. I didn't expect to win any awards anyway.

Thread Information