Thread: The Advice Thread

Sweet 'N' Sour 4 Life!

Status
      Country                    United States

FWA The Advice Thread

FORWARD - Imagine the scene, your created wrestler is booked in his final match. It's time to put down the keyboard once and for all, and the fed that you've gained an immense respect from is giving you your swan-song. You're already in the Hall Of Fame, you've beaten the best of your era, and it's time to give back to those who look to out-do your accomplishments. This wrestler, this character, this... extension of yourself, has a look unique to your mind, he walks out from the curtain to your favorite music, and he raises his fists high in the sky, either to the adoring cheers by children, women, and the blue-collar man, or, he illicits a reaction of complete and utter hate. As he enters the ring, you feel on top of the world. Nothing can touch you. You are the king of the mountain, the man to beat, THE GUY who your peers will talk about for as long as that fed is remembered. A former multi-time world champion, a mid-card champion, a tag-team champion, a legend of this business, someone that the younger members look up to and ask for advice. You are a franchise, an A+ Player, and a role model to a generation in need of your expert guidance. As you read your final match, watching your character hit his signature moves for the final time, only to come up short against someone who wrote a better roleplay then you, you feel your eyes water. Not from anger, not from pain, but from relief. From nostalgia. From the fact that you dedicated much of your time and effort into crafting wonderful stories with like-minded people. As you read the results, you can't help but smile when your superstar is given a standing ovation by the crowd, regardless of the fact that said crowd, isn't even real. It's still real to you damnit. It's getting late, real late. You've got work in the morning, a significant other to lay in bed with, and as you lay there, your mind wanders through your career. You think about the hardships, the friends you've lost through this hobby, but smile at the words of one of your friends. Perhaps it was an inside joke, or maybe you bonded with someone over a common interest. Whatever the case is... you feel at peace.

Your career as an e-fedding legend has come to a close.

But, you didn't get there for no reason, you learned! Those late nights drinking soft-drinks, munching away on chips, and typing away thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of words through-out the years. This game is a process, a comittment, and ultimately, a part of your life that sticks forever, if you choose to let it.

I've been in the e-fedding scene since 2017, and advice is something I love to see. While I don't personally seek it, it helps too see others give back. If you have any tips, advice, or questions, or just wanna talk about e-fedding as a whole and give your perspectives, then I'd love for this thread to be the place for that.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Re: The Advice Thread

This is a great idea!

1. Losses are often times better than wins long-term for your character. Your character can grow much more easily from a loss. Wins often lead to "running on a treadmill."

2. So, with that in mind, don't let losses deflate you or cause you to lose interest. Everyone loses matches, even the best. I've lost almost 100. Most losses come when you're starting out, ironing out your character's persona, and learning our style. Not many can come to the FWA and find immediate success.

3. You can do this for an assortment of reasons (competition, love of writing, love of wrestling, love of telling stories, whatever). I always feel some reasons lead to longer runs than others, but figure out "why" you're doing this and make sure it's going to be fulfilling whether you win, lose, or draw in the end.

4. Collaborate with people, whether it's a feud or a two-handler tag team. Don't do this in a silo. Get involved with the other writers to "create stories." That's when this is most fulfilling.

5. Don't get bent about grades. The grading system is the grading system (it is what it is). We mods need some sort of rubric to determine a winner and a loser beyond "I just liked this promo more" subjectivity. The grading system is meant to make the game "objective", but some categories of the grading system are subjective in and of themselves. My advice is to make sure you're a good writer first -- and the grades can help with that, acting as guidelines for aspects to focus on when writing a promo. If you've gotten this stuff down pat, then write what you want to write -- grades be damned -- and let the cards fall where they may. You won't get any fulfillment writing solely for the grades -- like a checklist. You need to write for your own enjoyment, however that looks.

6. Communicate with the mods. If you need a break, let them know. If you are burnt out, let them know. If you want to leave permanently, let them know. Many people have ghosted when all they needed was a one-month break from promo'ing. Others have ghosted when they just weren't enjoying it. It's fine to not stay, but it's crappy to ghost.

7. Lastly, don't be afraid to try something different -- different for the fed, or different for you. Writing the same general promo structure time after time can be boring (it is for me, at least). Don't be afraid whatsoever to take a big-ass swing. You might strike out -- live and learn -- or you might end up with a home run with something really innovative. Chances are you'll wind up hitting a single or a double.

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    1x FWA World Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    7x FWA Tag Team Champion

2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

Sweet 'N' Sour 4 Life!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    1. Losses are often times better than wins long-term for your character. Your character can grow much more easily from a loss. Wins often lead to "running on a treadmill."
    This, I love this.

Too a new player in this big game we play, they may think "wow, I lost, I suck". I've thought like that before. Hell, I've been on a nine-match losing streak in the past. I was deflated, defeated, and completely bummed-out. Part of me wanted to quit on the spot, but thankfully, I listened to my better-half of my self, and used how I felt as motivation. Now when I say how I felt... I don't mean I put the company on blast, I wrote about how that made my character feel. About how through so much shit, he has continued to show up in hopes for that first win. He came into the company with no wins, and he was a laughing stock to his oppenents. Through perserverance, that first win eventually happened, and not only was I happy, but now my character was motivated to continue to balance out his win-loss record.

Losing is your best friend in this game. Forget about looking like a-million bucks, that's boring, be that underdog looking to make an upset, or that bitter heel who wants to prove everyone wrong! Or my personal favorite, use it to advance your character anyway you see fit!

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

As someone who has really dwelled on the losses this past year.

The best advice is not too, this is meant to be fun. Focus on the stories being told, tell your story with your character. Collaborating always gets the creative juices going.

The Artist of Chaos

Status

Whenever I comeback, I'll be abusing this thread, lol

Thread Information