Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The WC End of Year Awards 2021 Ballot - Vote Now

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

The WC End of Year Awards 2021 Ballot - Vote Now

Here are the nominations for our 2021 Wresting Clique End Of The Year Awards. Make sure to get your votes in via Private Message by Thursday, December 30th, 23:59

Please bold one name in each category and three names for Hall of Fame.

----

Mens Wrestler of the Year
    Bryan Danielson
    Darby Allin
    Kenny Omega
    Roman Reigns
    Hangman Adam Page

Worst Mens Wrestler of the year
    Chris Jericho
    The Fiend Bray Wyatt
    Matt Hardy
    Baron Corbin
    Von Wagner

Tag Team of the Year

RKBro
    Lucha Bros
    Young Bucks
    Sting and Darby Allin
    FTR

Worst Tag Team of the Year
    Nia Jax and Shayna
    The Good Brothers
    Natalya and Tamina
    Retribution
    Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky

Babyface of the Year
    Big E
    CM Punk
    Hangman Adam Page
    Eddie Kingston
    Darby Allin
    Bianca Belair

Heel of the Year
    Roman Reigns
    MJF
    Miro
    Brit Baker
    Kenny Omega

Match of the Year
    WALTER Vs Ilja Dragunov (NXT UK)
    Lucha Bros Vs Young Bucks - All Out (Cage match)
    Danielson Vs Omega (AEW Dynamite)
    CM Punk Vs Eddie Kingston (AEW Full Gear)
    Sasha Banks Vs Bianca Belair (WWE Wrestlemania Night 1)
    Danielson Vs Hangman Page (AEW Winter is Coming)

Worst Match of the Year

The Fiend Vs Randy Orton (Wrestlemania Night 2)
    Womens Tag Team Turmoil (Wrestlemania Night 2)
    Cody Vs Andrade (the fire match)
    Alexa Bliss Vs Eva Marie (Summerslam)
    Damien Priest Vs The Miz (Backlash - the zombie match)

Supercard of the Year
    Wrestlemania Night 1
    Crown Jewel
    AEW Double or Nothing
    AEW Full Gear
    AEW All Out

Worst Supercard of the Year
    WWE Hell in a Cell
    NXT Wargames
    WWE Backlash
    WWE Summerslam

Feud of the Year
    Seth Rollins Vs Edge
    Kenny Omega Vs Hangman Page
    CM Punk Vs Eddie Kingston
    Roman Reigns Vs Brock Lesnar
    Pinnacle Vs Inner Circle

Worst Feud of the Year
    Damien Priest Vs The Miz and Morrison
    Matt Hardy Vs Orange Cassidy
    Randy Orton Vs The Fiend
    American Top Team Vs Inner Circle
    Alexa Bliss Vs Eva Marie
    Cody Vs Anthony Ogogo

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year
    Tay Conti
    Miro
    Jungle Boy
    Bianca Belair
    Britt Baker
    Mandy Rose
    W.Morrisey

Biggest Fall From Grace
    Braun Strowman
    Bray Wyatt
    Cody
    Karrion Kross
    Brian Cage
    ROH

Womens Wrestler of the Year
    Bianca Belair
    Britt Baker
    Sasha Banks
    Serena Deeb
    Thunder Rosa
    Deonna Purrazzo

Worst Womens Wrestler of the Year
    Nia Jax
    Tamina
    Red Velvet
    Eva Marie
    Alexa Bliss
    Julia Hart

Commentator of the Year

Taz
    Excalibur
    Michael Cole
    Pat McAfee
    Tony Schiavone

Moment of the Year
    Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair main event Wrestlemania/Bianca wins the title
    CM Punk debuts at AEW The First Dance
    Adam Cole and Bryan Danielson debut at AEW All Out
    Hangman Page wins the AEW World Championship
    John Cena returns to WWE

Non-Wrestler of the Year
    Don Callis
    Paul Heyman
    Dan Lambert
    Malcolm Bivens
    Taz

Wrestlecrap of the Year

Evil Alexa Bliss and Lily
    Damien Priest and Miz/Morrison Zombie lumberjack match
    Omega and Moxley's sparkler explosion at AEW Revolution
    The Survivor Series Egg

Gimmick of the Year
    Miro, God's Favourite Champion/The Redeemer
    Broke Baron Corbin
    Malakai Black - Leader of the House of Black
    Roman Reigns, The Tribal Chief
    Hangman Page, Anxious Millennial Cowboy
    Babyface Brock Lesnar

Worst Gimmick of the Year
    Possessed Alexa Bliss
    Kaz, Elite Hunter
    Big Money Matt Hardy
    Cody Rhodes, Proud American

Rising Star of the Year
    Bron Breakker
    HOOK
    Dante Martin
    Daniel Garcia
    Tony D'Angelo

WC Hall of Fame

Batista
    Mark Henry
    Kane
    Trish Stratus
    Toshiaki Kawada
    Akira Taue
    Manami Toyota
    Jimmy Hart
    Jake Roberts
    Samoa Joe
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Re: The WC End of Year Awards 2021 Ballot - Vote Now

Do you need help deciding on who you should vote for in the WC end of the year awards? Who better to look to for advice than someone who goes out of his way to avoid current day wrestling?

This is Jim's Uneducated Guide to Who He Thinks Should Win the WC End of the Year Awards...

Mens Wrestler of the Year

Was Roman Reigns great? Probably. Did Kenny Omega win a bunch of belts? I actually know this one! Yes, he did. However, out of all of the finalists, only Daniel Bryan/Bryan Danielson has excelled in WWE and AEW. If that isn't wrestler of the year than clearly I haven't been watching my 2021 wrestling (Which I haven't been).

Worst Mens Wrestler of the year

For all I know, Von Wagner may be awful, but considering the fact that in my 35 years of life, I keep failing to remember which Beverly Brother Von Wagner's father, I can't in good faith recommend him here. I would naturally go with Wyatt, but that jerk disappeared after like...one match. Not award worthy there. To me, the clear answer for this award is Chris Jericho. The dude ruined Blood & Guts after the match did so much to reward me for enduring the few years of NXT's awful #WarGames.

Tag Team of the Year

When I attended my one and only live wrestling event in 2021, I wanted to see one tag team in action. Just one. Sadly, instead of seeing that old motherfucker, Sting, in action for the first time ever, I had to witness seeing Sting and Darby get beat up by Billy f'n Gunn and The Ass Boys. If anything, that just means that Sting and Darby are the tag team of the year if Jim wanted to see a tag team in person in 2021.

Worst Tag Team of the Year

It's Natayla and Tamina. It has to be. Tamina is like...Nia Jax, but with even less star power. Somehow, these two women got not one, but TWO matches during Wrestlemania. Fuck that.

Babyface of the Year

Think about all Hangman Page has gone through in 2021. Not only did he endure setbacks, his eventual title win being prolonged, but he got people to boo Bryan f'n Danielson! He's clearly the winner.

Heel of the Year

If being a good heel means you dislike the wrestler, than it can't be MJF because Jim likes him. It obviously can't be Britt Baker DMD because her tagline is literally one of the most over chants in AEW. People LOVE Miro's new gimmick. That leaves Omega and Reigns. I'm indifferent towards Omega while I find Reigns' PPV act to be really repetitive and tired so he has to win thanks to interference from The Usos to screw Omega over.

Match of the Year

If there's one person you should ask what was the MOTY for 2021, it's the guy who has only watched two of the nominees. Between Kingston/Punk and Belair/Banks, I feel conflicted. On one hand, I feel the women's match was technically better. However, I think people will remember Punk/Kingston far more. After some consideration, Jim has officially decided that the women's match should win due to being so good despite WWE botching the build-up and fixing the blunder that was the original women's WM main event.

Worst Match of the Year

How is it that I've only seen two of the six finalists for MOTY, but I've seen four of the five finalists for WMOTY? No wonder I dislike current wrestling. All of these matches suck, but out of what I've seen, the losers all suck while still serving a purpose. What was the purpose of Fiend/Orton? It forced a feud to continue after a man was literally killed on live TV and featured a turn that ultimately didn't lead to a new program. What an awful match.

Supercard of the Year

Don't fucking lie. You actually had fun watching Wrestlemania night 1. Who would have ever thought that that would be possible? It deserves to win this award just because of that.

Worst Supercard of the Year

I remember sitting down and trying to watch Summerslam after work. I gave up after a couple of matches. At least with Backlash, I kept that shit show going on in the background. Summerslam deserves to win.

Feud of the Year

Dude, Kingston/Punk made you question how much all of it was a shoot and how much was a work. If that isn't feud of the year then I clearly nothing about 2021 wrestling.

Worst Feud of the Year

The bizarre Eve/Alexa match at Summerslam was the main factor in why I gave up watching that show. So it wins by default.

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year

Be honest with yourself, did Miro actually improve or was he just given a better character than he previously had in AEW? With my extensive knowledge of the zero matches of his that I saw in 2021, I can confidently state that W.Morrisey is worthy of this award. He went from being everyone's least favorite Daniel Bryan rival to (I think) being...okay in TNA. That's improvement!

Biggest Fall From Grace

It can't be ROH since no one has cared about them in years. Braun is whatever. However, when people are now agreeing with Jim's hatred of Cody, you know you've done fucked up. Cody's fall from grace is equally sad as it is hilarious.

Womens Wrestler of the Year

If CM Punk is the Best in the World and Punk dreams of being Britt Baker in Pittsburgh, then the winner for this award surely must be Baker, no?

Worst Womens Wrestler of the Year

Why was Eve Marie even brought back? All of the other lousy women (I didn't realize that Bret's ex wife is now a wrestler) at least serve some sort of purpose. When people look back at Eve Marie in 2021, they're going to be left scratching their heads.

Commentator of the Year

Don't even think for a second that any commentator in the WWE can even be considered to be decent. Excalibur wins because I used to like PWG a decade ago.

Moment of the Year

John Cena returned to the WWE in 2021? No, seriously, he did? I guess I didn't see him. HA...get it? Obviously, Punk's return. I still have zero memory of Cena's return.

Non-Wrestler of the Year

Paul Heyman manages to be good despite working for the WWE. That's mighty impressive.

Wrestlecrap of the Year

I've legitimately already forgotten that the Survivor Series egg was even a thing. I'm willing to bet that everyone else will forget about it in a few months with only vague memories rushing back any time you're foolish enough to re-watch Survivor Series 2021. When I think of WrestleCrap, I think of goofy segments or acts that become unintentionally funny to look back upon. The AEW botch is just awful luck. The Alexa Bliss shit was shit. But the zombie lumberjack match? To me, that's textbook WrestleCrap.

Gimmick of the Year

Apparently, people actually found Broke Baron Corbin to be...entertaining? Holy shit, I never thought I'd see the day! He wins by default.

Worst Gimmick of the Year

Unless I'm mistaken, no one from The Elite has been killed, stuffed, and mounted on Kazarian's wall. So not only is his gimmick lame, but he's also failed at it.

Rising Star of the Year

I don't know who these guys are. Write in Danhaussen or you're all dead to me. With how much time I've spent watching Danhaussen YouTube videos, he's sorta the biggest draw of 2021 to Jim. I've never watched him wrestle before, but TECHNICALLY, the award is rising star, NOT rising wrestler. So really. who is a bigger rising star than the star who I don't watch wrestle?
    ---

And this has been VOTE FOR JIM'S PICKS OR ELSE HE'LL KEEP BITCHING ABOUT BILLY GUNN IN 2021.

I'm cool. I think

Status
      Country                    UK

No love for The Way at all? ROBBED.
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Well I’d argue Bryan Danielson’s work was the reason Bryan Danielson got fans to boo him but I’d support hangman for babyface of the year.

You should have nommed Billy Gunn for worst wrestler Jim
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Toxic Attraction

Status
      Country                    United States

Don't think Eddie Kingston should be in Feud of the Year after one Match with punk though I do think it was a great match not sure if one and done should be Feud of the Year.

Agree lack of Danhausen is crazy

Also add we love hook he is a meme and darling and impressed in one but he has had one match I went with Dante Martin

Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Don't think Eddie Kingston should be in Feud of the Year after one Match with punk though I do think it was a great match not sure if one and done should be Feud of the Year.
    A feud isn't a feud because guys wrestle a ton. Punk and Kingston went hard at each other for a few weeks and wrestled a (terrific) match to settle the score, that's what wrestling is supposed to be. I think there's an argument that that three week feud was as entertaining as any other when you consider we got two or three great segments out of it and a MOTY contender for a finale (though it wasn't the one that got my vote).

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Canada

Yeah, the whole idea that a feud has to drag over 3 PPV matches and end in some sort of gimmick stipulation is just not true
    Vote on WC's Top 15 AEW Acts of 2021 Here:
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=177261

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I wouldn’t consider the feud a failure by any stretch, but I was certainly disappointed the next Dynamite when I realised that was it. I was looking forward to a longer angle. Not MJF/Jericho long, but something more substantial with at least one rematch. Now they may revisit it down the line, but I don’t see why when Kingston had peak momentum going for him and anything could happen in the meantime to make going back to that feud no longer possible.

World Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Yeah, the whole idea that a feud has to drag over 3 PPV matches and end in some sort of gimmick stipulation is just not true
    I agree. but its just better when it last 3 or 4 matches with a gimmick at the end.

I mean would you consider a feud a wrestler makes a crack at another before the bell and then that's it once the pinfall happens?

i would consider Eddie vs Punk a mini feud. nowhere near a classic

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I would agree, otherwise are we saying any Twitter exchange that leads to a match is now a feud? You can say that a feud doesn't need to be 3+ matches over months and months but the whole point of feuds and storylines is to build tension that culminates in a final match. I'd say there was tension with Punk and Kingston but it was pretty self-contained.

Also, Britt being the Women's Wrestler of the year is a bit of a reach, she's wrestled under 30 matches in the past twelve months and I think the only one that has really stood out was the Lights Out match. Britt's a good character and having the belt on her has certainly helped the division get some spotlight, but I would probably agree to disagree on her winning.

Saying that, I know there's a devout AEW crowd here, so it's also about reading the room.
    Last edited by Looking Glass; 12-24-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I'm cool. I think

Status
      Country                    UK

Dan Lambert being nominated for best non wrestler is the nominee that’s confusing to me. Over MVP? Hell even Kayla Baxton who’s been doing pretty good stuff with Heyman
    Last edited by The Gipper; 12-24-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    I would agree, otherwise are we saying any Twitter exchange that leads to a match is now a feud? You can say that a feud doesn't need to be 3+ matches over months and months but the whole point of feuds and storylines is to build tension that culminates in a final match. I'd say there was tension with Punk and Kingston but it was pretty self-contained.
    Yes.

You don't have to call it feud of the year or even good but I'd say by definition any time two guys have beef that is what a feud is. Frankly if we're gonna start dissecting the term backwards and forwards, I think WWE's infinite stakeless rematches are much less what a "feud" is supposed to be than a three week program like Punk and Kingston that actually feels like a real story.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Fire Walk with Me

Status

But why is it now about WWE? This is what’s so frustrating. You can’t criticise or disagree with anything AEW-related (a product I actually really enjoy) without the conversation becoming a “Yo mama” battle of WWE.

Also me saying this is not me saying that WWE have done more right than wrong this year by any stretch of the imagination. I acknowledge if you think the program deserves feud of the year, I guess for me it just didn’t feel like a fully fledged feud.
    Last edited by Looking Glass; 12-24-2021 at 04:42 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

The only category I really struggled with was heel of the year as I don't think it's been a great year for heels. Even Reigns who I was high on as a heel going into the year has become extremely stale in his role. Compare that with babyface of the year which has lots of awesome nominees that I wanted to vote for, but ultimately settled on Hangman, of course. It makes a change from the early days of my time on the forum when the world was stacked with great heels, but the babyface of the year was basically me voting for El Generico every year.

Despite not doing anything for most of the year, I thought it only best to give Bray Wyatt another year full of plentiful votes. As tempting as it was to give him worst wrestler of the year, the temptation to vote for Chris Jericho was too much. Fun fact, if he wins he'll be the first wrestler (male or female) to win both a best wrestler and worst wrestler on the forum.

I am also imploring everyone to vote Toshiaki Kawada into the Hall of Fame at last. It's about 5 years overdue at this point.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    But why is it now about WWE? This is what’s so frustrating. You can’t criticise or disagree with anything AEW-related (a product I actually really enjoy) without the conversation becoming a “Yo mama” battle of WWE.

Also me saying this is not me saying that WWE have done more right than wrong this year by any stretch of the imagination. I acknowledge if you think the program deserves feud of the year, I guess for me it just didn’t feel like a fully fledged feud.
    Honestly what's really frustrating is not being able to mention one thing that the largest wrestling company in the world does without being accused of being a baseless hater. This isn't Twitter, we don't all have to pick teams. I wasn't implying you were drinking AEW haterade, I was just doing further commentary on the state of feuds in pro wrestling by, again, citing the biggest wrestling company in the world. It's so stupid that I'm expected to pretend they just don't exist half the time.

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    The only category I really struggled with was heel of the year as I don't think it's been a great year for heels. Even Reigns who I was high on as a heel going into the year has become extremely stale in his role. Compare that with babyface of the year which has lots of awesome nominees that I wanted to vote for, but ultimately settled on Hangman, of course. It makes a change from the early days of my time on the forum when the world was stacked with great heels, but the babyface of the year was basically me voting for El Generico every year.
    Not to be accused of making everything into an AEW vs. WWE thing again, but I think this is one of the better changes AEW has brought back to major American wrestling. For what feels like a decade, faces in WWE have largely sucked because they are frequently just charmless, idiotic, smiley goody-goods who get suckered by heels all the time. Heels have been the trendy thing over there for years because they get to cut loose a little more and thus feel more organic and unique.

AEW to their credit has created a bounty of babyfaces with unique auras to them who are also, most importantly, not huge idiots, and that's why you've got four really good candidates from them in that category as well as a handful of other pretty great faces who could make some honorable mentions (Orange Cassidy, Jungle Boy, the entire Dark Order, etc).

| Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

The thing about Punk/Kingston is that the program actually had more juice to it. They could have done more and have a rematch on a big Dynamite episode or something. It's not about the time length, a feud can last 3 months and be a dud or wrap up in a month and be terrific. What mostly bugs me is that it was a very personal emotional feud and it had potential for more entertaining promos, matches etc. I would be ok with a random feud being short lived but this was anything but random. Even if they revisit the feud down the line I don't think it will feel as special as it did now.
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

Demon on the Loose

Status
      Country                    Greece

Also, a vote for Kane is a vote for a better future. The monster, the legend, the mayor!
    The RED Report!
    (A New Episode every once in a blue moon!)

World Champion

Status

Matt Taven vs Vincent was built better than Punk vs Eddie.

Feud of the year was Foundation vs Violence Unlimited. They had about 7 matches that built towards Gresham.vs Brody King.

Fire Walk with Me

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Matt Taven vs Vincent was built better than Punk vs Eddie.
    Indy, I get that you love ROH. I also enjoyed ROH. I just think you have to realise that there’s less eyes on the product. Realistically there’s worse wrestlers out there than Baron Corbin or Von Wagner, it’s just based on the promotions that most people watch. Hence why MLW, NWA, GCW don’t desire. You can say that you think Taven and Vincent was good (and it was one I was tempted to nominate) but again, in the grand scheme of things it won’t have as many eyes on it and people aren’t going to vote based solely on your review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information