Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

  1. #1
    Wordle Playing Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    41,627
    Rep Power
    8828174
      Country                    England

    2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Previous winners:

    2017 - Dolph Ziggler
    2018 - Su Yung
    2019 - The Librarians
    2020 - Retribution
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

    Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021


  2. #2
    Wordle Playing Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    41,627
    Rep Power
    8828174
      Country                    England

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    It's neck and neck between Alexa crying black ooze and Matt Jackson crying tanner for me.

    Bliss is a strong contender for me, this has potential to keep being wackier and wackier
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

    Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021


  3. #3
    Слава Україні!
    Crimea's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    19,958
    Rep Power
    585045
      Country                    Ukraine

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    I think the winner will be which ever lasts the longest, I don't see either of them turning a new leaf and becoming better in their current state though.

  4. #4
    [be more kind]
    Postman Dave's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    3711616
      Country                    England

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    My fear with Bliss is that it looks like they're splitting her from Bray, which can only lead to that shit infecting the womens division full time.

    So in terms of collateral damage, she may be the front runner.

    Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    My fear with Bliss is that it looks like they're splitting her from Bray, which can only lead to that shit infecting the womens division full time.

    So in terms of collateral damage, she may be the front runner.
    Unless they just revert her back to normal Bliss after the Fiend feud ends.

  6. #6

    Silk's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hell on Earth
    Posts
    9,732
    Rep Power
    5329490
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Still gonna be thinking hard about Alexa for this one but Joe Gacy's got a pretty awful thing going that's gonna be tough to ignore.



    Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:



    [footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]


  7. #7
    VINTAGE POSTER!
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    20,167
    Rep Power
    4207532
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Wow, we really overreacted to The Librarians that year, huh? What did they show up on? AEW Dark, preshows and BTE segments?

  8. #8

    Silk's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hell on Earth
    Posts
    9,732
    Rep Power
    5329490
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Wow, we really overreacted to The Librarians that year, huh? What did they show up on? AEW Dark, preshows and BTE segments?
    Beat the Fiend by one vote. I guess all that pro-AEW bias hadn't really kicked in around here yet.



    Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:



    [footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]


  9. #9
    Crotchety Old SMOD
    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    34,810
    Rep Power
    7610357
      Country                    Canada

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Still gonna be thinking hard about Alexa for this one but Joe Gacy's got a pretty awful thing going that's gonna be tough to ignore.
    Gacy’s gimmick is meant to be cringe, so in that sense he’s doing a solid job. I did think that the mileage on the joke was very short, though, and would be fine if they moved on from it sooner rather than later.

    Could we consider Bronson Reed’s whining on Twitter a gimmick?


    ”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”


    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass







  10. #10
    Internet Favorite
    Tommy Thunder's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    2,198
    Rep Power
    549909
      Country                    Wales

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Gacy's gimmick is polarising and is definitely a 'love it or hate it' gimmick from what I see. It's too early to tell yet how good or bad that gimmick is as it could be anything from sublime to ridiculous.

    Bliss is still a strong contender for this as her knock off Bray Wyatt gimmick was atrocious.
    Duke Hudson's poker player gimmick is absolutely terrible in my opinion.

  11. #11
    Crotchety Old SMOD
    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    34,810
    Rep Power
    7610357
      Country                    Canada

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Thunder View Post
    Gacy's gimmick is polarising and is definitely a 'love it or hate it' gimmick from what I see. It's too early to tell yet how good or bad that gimmick is as it could be anything from sublime to ridiculous.

    Bliss is still a strong contender for this as her knock off Bray Wyatt gimmick was atrocious.
    Duke Hudson's poker player gimmick is absolutely terrible in my opinion.
    I think Hudson’s poker gimmick is hilarious solely because he’s clearly meant to be a terrible player that thinks he’s great. Tbh, I wouldn’t consider voting that even if I didn’t like it, as it’s not featured enough to be really annoying or offensive.

    I would consider Grayson Waller’s multiple gimmicks within a few month period for this, if only because they were clearly just throwing shit at the wall with him for a bit.


    ”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”


    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass







  12. #12
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Jimmy King's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Slam Diego
    Posts
    10,177
    Rep Power
    2777327
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    I was iffy on Gacy’s gimmick at first but I’ve come around to it and find it funny and entertaining.

    There’s not really a gimmick I’ve disliked this year tbh.


    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

    Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

    Letterboxd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

  13. #13
    Crotchety Old SMOD
    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    34,810
    Rep Power
    7610357
      Country                    Canada

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    How about Frankie Kazarian’s Elite Hunter gimmick where he lost to the Elite every time he faced them?


    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass







  14. #14
    Putting Butts in Seats
    Dubb's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    924
    Rep Power
    4901164
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    How about Frankie Kazarian’s Elite Hunter gimmick where he lost to the Elite every time he faced them?
    Hey he beat Brandon Cutler!

  15. #15
    Crotchety Old SMOD
    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    34,810
    Rep Power
    7610357
      Country                    Canada

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Dubb View Post
    Hey he beat Brandon Cutler!
    I feel like that may actually help further his case for this award.

    Given some people’s reaction to it, could we make a case for nominating Egg for this award?


    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass







  16. #16
    World Champion

    The EC's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,853
    Rep Power
    4999756
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    The Elite Hunter was a good concept, but the execution was indeed comically poor.

    I'm still going with Alexa. Her being off TV for a while now is not enough to make me forget how rough that shit was.. And really, it's the least we could do to honor Bray's WWE legacy.

  17. #17
    VINTAGE POSTER!
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    20,167
    Rep Power
    4207532
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Elite Hunter probably is what I’d go for in an AEW exclusive poll. It would’ve been good if given to someone they were actually committed to pushing. Like this could’ve been Moxley’s aftermath to getting screwed out of his championship, he has the right type of character for it unlike Kaz with his hoodie.

  18. #18
    Crotchety Old SMOD
    Fuji Vice's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Wing Kong Exchange
    Posts
    34,810
    Rep Power
    7610357
      Country                    Canada

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    The Elite Hunter was a good concept, but the execution was indeed comically poor.

    I'm still going with Alexa. Her being off TV for a while now is not enough to make me forget how rough that shit was.. And really, it's the least we could do to honor Bray's WWE legacy.
    The only trouble I have with voting her is that she actually got the gimmick over to the point that Lilly was one of the top selling pieces of merch they had. The gimmick itself is certainly awful, but I think making it work to that level is actually a knock against it being the worst. With that being said, I’d have no issues with her winning this one.

    Meanwhile, Kazarian failing at being the very gimmick he’s supposed to be seems a lot worse to me and if I can’t come up with anything else, he’ll probably be my top choice for this award.

    I would consider Doudrop just for the name alone, but once again, Piper actually managed to get it over despite itself. Even her ridiculously shoehorned heel turn hasn’t seemed to hurt her that much.


    ​​​



    Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass







  19. #19
    WC Hall Of Famer

    Jimmy King's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Slam Diego
    Posts
    10,177
    Rep Power
    2777327
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    The only trouble I have with voting her is that she actually got the gimmick over to the point that Lilly was one of the top selling pieces of merch they had. The gimmick itself is certainly awful, but I think making it work to that level is actually a knock against it being the worst. With that being said, I’d have no issues with her winning this one.

    Meanwhile, Kazarian failing at being the very gimmick he’s supposed to be seems a lot worse to me and if I can’t come up with anything else, he’ll probably be my top choice for this award.

    I would consider Doudrop just for the name alone, but once again, Piper actually managed to get it over despite itself. Even her ridiculously shoehorned heel turn hasn’t seemed to hurt her that much.
    Agreed on Lily dolls being one of the biggest merch sellers, when I went to Raw back in August I saw quite a few little girls with Lily dolls. I never disliked the gimmick tbf but I can see why others do, and I feel like Alexa tried her best with whatever she was given with it.


    Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

    Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

    Letterboxd

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

  20. #20
    Toxic Attraction
    OMB's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    11,707
    Rep Power
    3006204
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2021 Worst Gimmick of the Year Ongoing Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    The Elite Hunter was a good concept, but the execution was indeed comically poor.

    I'm still going with Alexa. Her being off TV for a while now is not enough to make me forget how rough that shit was.. And really, it's the least we could do to honor Bray's WWE legacy.
    Didn't billy gunn & Yoshi Tatsu do that gimmick of elite hunter

    Spoiler:






Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •