Thread: 2021 Worst Match of the Year Ongoing Discussion - The Windham Rotunda Award

Wordle Playing Admin

Status
      Country                    England

2021 Worst Match of the Year Ongoing Discussion - The Windham Rotunda Award

After his historic 4th victory in this category, this award will now be known as the Windham Rotunda award.

Previous winners:

2006 - The Boogeyman vs Booker T & Sharmell - Wrestlemania 22

2007 - John Cena vs The Great Khali - Judgment Day
    2008 - Santino Marella vs The Honky Tonk Man - Cyber Sunday
    2009 - Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell - Victory Road
    2010 - Bret Hart vs Vince McMahon - No Holds Barred Match - Wrestlemania 26
    2011 - Jeff Hardy vs Sting - Victory Road
    2012 - John Cena vs John Laurinaitis - Over the Limit
    2013 - Bray Wyatt vs Kane - Ring Of Fire Match - Summerslam
    2014 - Cameron vs Naomi - Raw(September 15)
    2015 - Ryback vs Dolph Ziggler vs Mark Henry vs King Barrett vs R-Truth vs Sheamus - Elimination Chamber Match - Elimination Chamber
    2016 - Triple H Vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 32
    2017 - Bray Wyatt Vs Randy Orton - Wrestlemania 33
    2018 - Brock Lesnar Vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 34
    2019 - Seth Rollins Vs The Fiend - WWE HIAC
    2020 - Bray Wyatt Vs Braun Strowman - WWE Extreme Rules
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists
    2016 l 2017 l 2018 l 2019 l 2020 l 2021

Bo Dallas Mark

Status

Re: 2021 Worst Match of the Year Ongoing Discussion - The Windham Rotunda Award

Lashley/Miz for the WWE Title on Raw was pretty bad ngl. That feels like the cheap vote thought rn
    burger

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

On a major show, I don't think anything this year has been as bad as the womens tag team turmoil from mania.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Who names a kid Wind Ham?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

You know its impressive for Sharmell to be involved in so few matches in her career and still end up with two victories in this category

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    You know its impressive for Sharmell to be involved in so few matches in her career and still end up with two victories in this category

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
    I feel bad for the 2006 winner. It's just a mostly meaningless four minute match to get Booker T on the show despite working with an injury.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

I'd say Orton/Fiend WM. Horrible in so many ways except for the entrance was a little cool.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Anyone have some nominations from AEW for this award? Nothing is springing to mind but I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting.

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm comfortable nominating Cody and Andrade from Dynamite for this. Here's my write-up from the Dynamite thread.

The main event was hilariously awesome. Arn falling off the stage to start the match (he's one more fall away from a Shockmaster gimmick). Jose in the background helping Arn up before realizing he's alright and throwing punches at him. The obvious "fire retardant" on Cody's back throughout the match that flew into the air like confetti when Cody power-slammed Andrade. Tazz not knowing what it was and asking if someone in the crowd who was "drinking glue poured it on Cody's back." Brandy coming out in a disguise for no reason and setting fire to a table for no reason. Cody taking the brunt of the table before pinning an Andrade who is vehemently fighting off flames landing on his chest. Pure wrestlecrap greatness.
    Last edited by BD22; 12-13-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by BD22 View Post
    Anyone have some nominations from AEW for this award? Nothing is springing to mind but I'm sure there's a couple I'm forgetting.

Edit: After thinking about it, I'm comfortable nominating Cody and Andrade from Dynamite for this. Here's my write-up from the Dynamite thread.

The main event was hilariously awesome. Arn falling off the stage to start the match (he's one more fall away from a Shockmaster gimmick). Jose in the background helping Arn up before realizing he's alright and throwing punches at him. The obvious "fire retardant" on Cody's back throughout the match that flew into the air like confetti when Cody power-slammed Andrade. Tazz not knowing what it was and asking if someone in the crowd who was "drinking glue poured it on Cody's back." Brandy coming out in a disguise for no reason and setting fire to a table for no reason. Cody taking the brunt of the table before pinning an Andrade who is vehemently fighting off flames landing on his chest. Pure wrestlecrap greatness.
    Oddly, I was just about to pop in and mention this as a response to your question.

I thought the entire thing was a complete farce and the ending was so ridiculous that I couldn’t help laughing, which I think was the total opposite reaction they were going for. AEW has had some misfires where I’m concerned, but this was clearly the worst of them all. It probably still won’t sniff this award, because a lot of people seem to have enjoyed it, but it definitely bears mention here.

”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

Cody vs Andrade was just a mediocre match, it wasn't business exposing or something you'd be embarrassed to show non-wrestling fans.

Struggling to think of anything too glaring, just a lot of really dull stuff. Probably one of the Bray or Alexa matches.

The fact that Bray never appeared on WWE TV again (I think?) post-WM, probably gives more support to voting for Orton/Wyatt. It was the big feud ender of a program that literally saw someone basically killed on live television after being lit on fire, featured a nonsensical turn from Bliss, and zero follow-up. Throw in the fact that I think Orton was meant to be the heel of the program according to the WWE and you have a notorious bomb.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Cody vs Andrade was just a mediocre match, it wasn't business exposing or something you'd be embarrassed to show non-wrestling fans.

Struggling to think of anything too glaring, just a lot of really dull stuff. Probably one of the Bray or Alexa matches.
    You wouldn’t be embarrassed to show a non-wrestling fan Cody setting himself on fire to cap off a “mediocre” match?

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

World Champion

Status

I think my non-wrestling fan friends would be impressed enough by the sheer presence of fire to not come down too hard on that match, although they would surely question how the fuck it was Cody that won off of that move.

Underdog

Status

Maybe it's because the ending was so terrible, but I'll go with Mox/Omega in the Exploding Sparkler Match.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Bedlam View Post
    Maybe it's because the ending was so terrible, but I'll go with Mox/Omega in the Exploding Sparkler Match.
    Can't vote for this in good conscience. That was a borderline four star match going into the finish and I can't dock it all the way to Worst of the Year territory just cause a technical disaster did them dirty. Mox and Omega deserve better than that.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Silk's Miscellaneous Match Reviews
    Queen of Dunks, Comic and Game Dork, Shoutbox Diva, #Iconic Hall of Famer
    #BlackLivesMatter
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Underdog

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Can't vote for this in good conscience. That was a borderline four star match going into the finish and I can't dock it all the way to Worst of the Year territory just cause a technical disaster did them dirty. Mox and Omega deserve better than that.
    Yea, I get that completely. I guess for me, I tend to look at these things through a scope of "what do I remember about the match." Whenever I think of that match, I'm going to think about some sparklers. Totally ruined the whole thing for me.

Wordle Playing Admin

Status

This award isn't as fun without Bray.

I really don't think I've watched anything as bad as the mania womens tag gauntlet match this year.

The Nia/Charlotte match where they shoot on each other was about as unprofessional as it gets, but still oddly watchable.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Non-Binary Finery

Status

That Miz vs Priest match at Backlash with the zombies can get fucked. I know there's probably been worst matches than that, but that cynical zombie shit can fuck right off