​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2021 Womens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

I don't have any front runner at the moment but I have a bunch of contenders - Bianca, Sasha, Raquel, Thunder Rosa, Britt
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Britt Baker for me, her mic skills are probably the best amongst any woman wrestler. She's decent in the ring and she knows how to use her character and commit to it.

WAKE UP

Status

No real standouts on this one. Britt maybe - has had a big run but apart from the Rosa match it's been more good than great. Bianca should really have had a big year after Wrestlemania but WWE completely nerfed her. Rosa has been really consistent and could be my pick but she ideally needs a couple more big showings to really take the crowd.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think Britt's mic work alone solidifies her here. You'd imagine her constantly ending her promos with her D.M.D catchphrase would paint a picture of her promos being one-dimensional, but I feel like she's been anything but that. Whether it's the promo with Ruby, the budding friendship with Shiavone, whether she's backstage or in the ring, she has been the most consistent and best woman on the mic in the industry this year, and I wouldn't even label it close.

I know her match with Tay Conti was the bottom of the barrel at Full Gear, but credit needs to be given to Britt here too. Before, you'd only expect a decent showing from her when she was in the ring with someone like Shida, Deeb, or Rosa. She actually carried her own here very well and I was actually pleasantly pleased with the smoothness of the delivery of some of her arsenal in this match. From an in-ring perspective, she's definitely not at the elite level yet, but boy has she definitely made huge strides of improvements.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I’m not sure how Bianca has been “nerfed” since Summerslam considering she’s been prominently featured on the card and television for the remainder of the year. She would definitely be my top choice for this, as she’s shown a strong capability to lead matches and has been part of several strong ones throughout the year. The matches with Sasha at WM, Charlotte and Becky on RAW and the triple threat at the Saudi show are all very strong and help her overall resume for this award, not to mention her Rumble win. Her mic work has been solid as well, and she is presented (and presents herself) like a star.

”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WAKE UP

Status

For some reason I thought she hadn't had many big feature matches since winning the belt, I totally blanked on the Baylay matches because they were quite forgettable. Didn't see the triple threat or anything else more recent.

Squash Fodder

Status

It's between Belair or the DMD. Without a strong finish I'd probably lean toward Baker.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Bianca Belair has definitely had a stellar year, easily one of the standouts and a favorite to win this award imo.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Letterboxd

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Comeback King

Status

Bianca Belair for me as well, think she has been a level above DMD.
    BTB Achievements
    Current BTB - WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

+
    FIVE BTBOTM AWARDS

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

I didn’t think Bianca came off much of a star at Summerslam when Becky big leagued her (both in the match and her fangirling of Becky), lost the title in one move and 3 months later hasn’t got her revenge yet. In fact in all these matches with Sasha, Becky and Charlotte since Summerslam she hasn’t got a pinfall over any of them. That company does not see her as a star like the other women I’ve mentioned and overall I think they’ve done a poor job pushing her. It’s not difficult to be regularly in the title picture when they’ve fired half the roster and the likes of Sasha and Bayley have been away for a bit. But hey, she’s had a better time of it than Rhea so that’s something at least.

That being said I lean in-ring with this stuff, so Bianca would be in my top 3 still as I liked the Bayley matches, the second Becky match and the Sasha match is a clear MOTYC.

I think Serena Deeb has been the best women’s wrestler in AEW, closely followed by Thunder Rosa so I think that might be my top 3 as of today.

ive watched two stardom matches this year and the standard is higher than in the west, but I haven’t seen enough to make a strong case for anyone.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

2021 Womens Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I didn’t think Bianca came off much of a star at Summerslam when Becky big leagued her (both in the match and her fangirling of Becky), lost the title in one move and 3 months later hasn’t got her revenge yet. In fact in all these matches with Sasha, Becky and Charlotte since Summerslam she hasn’t got a pinfall over any of them. That company does not see her as a star like the other women I’ve mentioned and overall I think they’ve done a poor job pushing her. It’s not difficult to be regularly in the title picture when they’ve fired half the roster and the likes of Sasha and Bayley have been away for a bit. But hey, she’s had a better time of it than Rhea so that’s something at least.
    It’s been awhile since I’ve done these awards but were we always taking kayfabe accomplishments into consideration? She’s certainly looked great and competitive in all those matches, regardless of the outcome. I wouldn’t have minded seeing her defeat Becky, but if it was done in three months, the ever popular cry of “no long term booking” would rear its ugly head. Besides, I think she’s more over now than she was as champ, and Becky can hopefully elevate someone else or they can re-run Bianca/Becky at ‘Mania if they want to create another big moment. Bianca winning the rumble again to finally get another match with Big Time Becks is a pretty solid story.

Deeb is great. Will definitely be in my top three. Not sure who the third would be at the moment, but it’ll definitely not be Nia Jax.

”The New and Improved AstraPfizer Bunny”

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Squash Fodder

Status

My reasoning for picking DMD is that DMD has completely carried a division and has my MOTY (Lights Out vs. Thunder Rosa). Belair's been great, in fact, she should probably get some attention in Most Improved herself, but I felt the series with Bayley was forgetful. Good matches with Sasha at Mania and Becky+Sasha at Crown Jewel is fine, and she's definitely held her own in being over, but it's not the same as carrying and frankly legitimizing an entire division as DMD has.

World Champion

Status

Disagree entirely about Britt carrying the division. I will say she is the hottest act in the division by some distance but wrestlers like Rosa, Deeb and Shida have shouldered the load in terms of the in-ring stuff and I think they basically already had the women's division on an upward swing before Britt got the title which really cemented the arrival of the division. Britt is still a legit contender for this award, don't get me wrong. Just don't agree with that assessment.

Now, could anyone be swayed into considering Deonna Purrazzo?

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Disagree entirely about Britt carrying the division. I will say she is the hottest act in the division by some distance but wrestlers like Rosa, Deeb and Shida have shouldered the load in terms of the in-ring stuff and I think they basically already had the women's division on an upward swing before Britt got the title which really cemented the arrival of the division. Britt is still a legit contender for this award, don't get me wrong. Just don't agree with that assessment.

I could be swayed into it off recommendations. I know Impact always gets alluded to having the actual best women's division in terms of combined in-ring and booking wise, I'd just personally need a run-down of why and suggestions of things to check out.

[be more kind]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post

The truth

Britt's the most over for sure, but she certainly ain't the worker of the division. Shida's smokes hers in match quality, Britt's just been booked better.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I’d also echo Deonna, she’s been a real stalwart of the Knockouts division and to be fair, women’s wrestling. Considering she was used on fodder on Raw at the start of the pandemic, she’s won the belt twice and managed to keep interest in her reigns (in my opinion the Su Yung win didn’t need to happen). She’s wrestled veterans in some of their strongest matches of recent years and has come a long way from the generic babyface I remember in ROH. I’d say that Deonna has had a similar build to Britt personally (except she never needed to turn), but for me her wrestling ability would put her over Britt’s popularity.

WAKE UP

Status

Whats the standout Deona matches of the year?

Liv Forever

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Going with Deonna in this. Dont think any of the other women touch her in overall quality, and consistency.