Thread: NJPW Sakura Genesis 2021 - 04/04/2021

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW Sakura Genesis 2021 - 04/04/2021

Match Card
    Suzuki-gun (DOUKI, Taichi & Zack Sabre Jr.) vs. BULLET CLUB (Jado, Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa)

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. BULLET CLUB (Dick Togo, EVIL, KENTA, Taiji Ishimori & Yujiro Takahashi)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA, Shingo Takagi & Tetsuya Naito) vs. The United Empire (Great-O-Khan, Jeff Cobb) & ???

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Satoshi Kojima vs. BULLET CLUB (Bad Luck Fale & Jay White)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match: Suzuki-gun (El Desperado & Yoshinobu Kanemaru) (c) vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO & YOH)

IWGP World Heavyweight Title Match: Kota Ibushi (c) vs. Will Ospreay

---
    Thankfully this is a much better match card than the previous few shows. Desperado and Kanemaru against Roppongi 3K is a match done a many times, but it's a consistently quality match almost everytime. Plus it has the added hype of YOH returning. And of course, the main event has the potential to be spectacular. The winner is likely to be Ibushi but Ospreay has a lot of momentum behind him right now (the Bea Priestley angle aside). Enough to cause doubts. And the reveal of Empire will be interesting. Joe Lanza predicted that whoever it is will be a real pushed act for New Japan. The names that come to mind are Umino, Henare and Karl Federicks. It could be anyone though.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Re: NJPW Sakura Genesis 2021 - 04/04/2021

Does it have a much better card? I don't think this looks anywhere near as interesting as the NJ Cup or New Beginning shows. The Jr tag titles being in the semi main event screams weak card to me. If anyone other than Bad Luck Fale was partnering Jay, then that tag might have been worth watching. Looks set to be a show of 3 star tags and then an Ibushi/Ospreay match that will get MOTYC level hype, but probably won't be as good as their previous matches because Ospreay is heel now and there will be shenanigans to hand him the win.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

This card isn't even mediocre. It's flat out bad. The hype train is basically at 0 and you have to wonder what they were thinking.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Ospreay won the title. Logging off twitter for the day.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

WAKE UP

Status

Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after Jay White winning the belt before, but still feels like a big surprise. Not a surprise that makes me want to watch (the opposite) but a surprise nonetheless.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I like the idea. Ospreay has had a few pretty promising feuds against Okada and TenKoji that were well perceived and he had a good run in the NJ Cup. The only real blemish on his record since he turned in the G1 was the Bea Priestley thing. I think that Ospreay drops the title back to Ibushi in one of the Dome shows soon enough.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

How was the match MC?
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    How was the match MC?
    I thought it was excellent. It was much slower than you'd expected from these two which could either make the match more interesting to you or do the complete opposite with the clap crowds.

Urgent exit required.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Somewhat surprised though Ospreay sort of needed to finally come good after the Okada match. NJ Cup seems to be the go to for helping solidify pushes and raising someone.

Thought Shingo would get a shot but against Ibushi! Not surprised that Okada is challenging Ospreay. Makes sense obviously. Absolutely would've been madness for him to get the shot over Shingo though. Looking forward to Ospreay vs Okada at the Dome and Ibushi getting his belt back a week later probably? Can't see Ibushi not getting a shot sooner rather than later. (edit - i now realise the yokohama show is before the dome show so Ibushi winning at Dominion?)

Thought the actual match was a tad below some others they've had but it was fine. No major complaints really.

I somewhat find it weird that Tanahashi has decided to give White a title shot because he tapped out. Obviously we were heading that way but feel like Tanahashi has only accepted the challenge because now he knows he can beat White. Then again, Tanahashi's angle with the NEVER title seems to imply he wants to face high level people he's never faced before. I don't know how many high people there are that he hasn't faced. Somewhat a fan of how this is playing out and Tanahashi's perceived reluctance to face Jay White. Obviously White was going to get the shot because he beat Tana in the cup but I am starting to suspect Tanahashi was reluctant to face White because he hasn't beaten him in two and a half years. Really interesting to see if Tanahashi can get over the hump or if Jay's known this all along and has honeytrapped him into giving him a shot.

Desperado losing his tag title sucks but I am glad Yoh is back. I hope he can get a solid run but I'll never look at R3K and see him as the superior one compared to Sho.

Tekkers/GoD is somewhat ridiculous and this ladder match coming up (FOR THE IRON FINGERS lol) is going to be nonsense. Can't wait.

New title is growing on me as well. Imagine it'll look good on Okada.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 04-05-2021 at 04:15 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Yoh coming back and immediately stepping up to his claim as the world's most bland wrestler. Finally Kanemaru has competition! I love how he and Sho are in the exact same spot as they've always been after Sho showed he could be more last year.

Surprised Ospreay won, guess they needed to shit on Ibushi even more after they turned the fans on him so Okada could get over more for his big win at the Dome and they don't have to worry about anyone being more popular than him because we couldn't have that of course.

I thought the main event was below average, but I've never been the highest on Ospreay and Ibushi has clearly been effected by the spot they put him in and I don't think he was great either. The one good thing about all this is they didn't go crazy with interference and nonsense so that immediately makes Ospreay a better choice as champion than EVIL or Jay White so that's something. The Shingo thing is dumb, he literally just beat him for the title. We don't need to see him beat him again. The definition of a filler defense to get to Okada and pad Will's reign.

Urgent exit required.

Status

I really don't know if Okada is going to win at the Dome. Of course, Ospreay is going to go over Shingo but his title shot is somewhat merited (maybe confusing to be against Ospreay and not Ibushi though) so I can't be too down on it. I guess the plan was for Shingo to get a shot anyway and it's just come to this. They have a good chemistry and the match should be decent. Hopefully give Ospreay a chance to show off something new before facing Okada.

I also don't think NJPW are as invested in keeping Okada super popular as you think they are... at least I hope they aren't. He hasn't main evented the last 2 Dome shows and his involvement with the IWGP belt has been somewhat muted. It's Ospreay winning the belt that has brought him into the fold due to his win over the champion at the Dome. He is logically involved in the story and well, given how he hasn't been involved for a while... he was probably going to headline one of the two big shows. I don't think Ospreay's reign should be as short as a month or so but I don't know, maybe Okada does win. Just feel like Ospreay's more likely to drop the belt back to Ibushi pre-G1 but who knows what happens. Really think it's starting to show that NJPW don't particularly have a strong homegrown up n comer that they can try to push as some sort of young lion prodigy who makes the future seem 'exciting'. The Okada well is going to run dry eventually and Ibushi, Naito, Tanahashi aren't getting any younger. There is an over-reliance there, totally, because they know they haven't got a young guy to push yet.

Forgot to say - diggin' Henare's new look.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 04-05-2021 at 05:05 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Okada winning the new title seems like something that New Japan should build towards rather than blowing that journey in a month. This is a perfect chance to give Ospreay a strong title reign, having him beat Okada in one of the Dome/Stadium, and have Okada win the G1 to earn one more match at Wrestle Kingdom.

Of course, we know that Gedo doesn't really have his heel main eventers to have title reigns that long. Shingo Takagi being Ospreay’s only successful title defence would be on brand for his booking. We also have to consider the fact that the new to title got some negative feedback and there aren't many people who bring instant legitimacy to a title like Okada or Tanahashi would.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The one difference between this and the past is EVIL & Jay were particularly poorly received stylistically more than themselves, Ospreay still wrestles clean matches and is positioned stronger, AND they did bring in Henare and have put over the Empire really strongly of late, to pretty strong success so it's not as cut and dry as when Jay & EVIL lost which I thought were extremely obvious, but I can't imagine them ending a Dome show with Ospreay standing tall over Okada and the booking of Ibushi was so bad I can't believe it wasn't on purpose.

Also I'm not necessarily saying this as a negative on Okada. Give me his boring but normal matches 1000 times over the bullshit we've seen in the undercards going forward.

Urgent exit required.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Okada winning the new title seems like something that New Japan should build towards rather than blowing that journey in a month. This is a perfect chance to give Ospreay a strong title reign, having him beat Okada in one of the Dome/Stadium, and have Okada win the G1 to earn one more match at Wrestle Kingdom.

Of course, we know that Gedo doesn't really have his heel main eventers to have title reigns that long. Shingo Takagi being Ospreay’s only successful title defence would be on brand for his booking. We also have to consider the fact that the new to title got some negative feedback and there aren't many people who bring instant legitimacy to a title like Okada or Tanahashi would.
    Good point in that they might be panicking and putting the belt onto Okada to bring it some form of legitimacy but I don't think a quick shot onto Okada does that well enough at this point in time. I feel like EVIL's reign was just a weird pandemic booking thing and may have been fleshed out better with a better schedule. Jay's reign I think was more about just making him legit and quickly shoving in someone from his dojo generation into the main event picture as a top threat. Looks like a decent sellout for Shingo vs Ospreay which is a good sign. Big daddy Shingo can draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    The one difference between this and the past is EVIL & Jay were particularly poorly received stylistically more than themselves, Ospreay still wrestles clean matches and is positioned stronger, AND they did bring in Henare and have put over the Empire really strongly of late, to pretty strong success so it's not as cut and dry as when Jay & EVIL lost which I thought were extremely obvious, but I can't imagine them ending a Dome show with Ospreay standing tall over Okada and the booking of Ibushi was so bad I can't believe it wasn't on purpose.

Also I'm not necessarily saying this as a negative on Okada. Give me his boring but normal matches 1000 times over the bullshit we've seen in the undercards going forward.
    Ospreay is also quite over by my reckoning and is obviously influential behind the scenes given the partnership with Stardom. I have the same issue with you in that I can't fathom Ospeay ending a Dome show standing tall but the only thing that makes me think it's possible is that it's mid-year Dome show. It isn't the typical holiday season variety extravaganza so I don't know if Gedo will feel the need to book a show that sends people home happy. With Dominion still happening then I think we're getting Ibushi getting the belt back so he's definitely out of the G-1 running, Ospreay has a redemption story and Okada's going to get the next one over him and set up Okada vs Ibushi at WK.

Of course, I fully expect this is nowhere near what's going to happen. NJPW during this pandemic has just been weird at times and a big WTF. They really don't have a solid plan for anything long term without Okada.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Watched Ospreay/Ibushi yesterday and it's taken me a day to think about writing something about it. The match was fine, would probably give it 3.25-3.5 stars, and I appreciate Ospreay is wrestling slightly different and not so much of a Jr, but it's impossible to care about a title after they took a giant dump on their history removing the lineage. I do wonder if I'd of raved about this match the way I raved about their match in 2019 when I was still a fan of the company if things were booked better, and we had crowds reacting to things, and Speaking Out hadn't happened and I was still an Ospreay fan. I find it near impossible to enjoy NJPW matches in 2021, the way I did pre-pandemic when I would at least think in a vacuum I'm getting great matches in spite of bad booking. Now I just think I get one 'good' match in an entire tour surrounded by bad booking.

And yet, The Empire is the only thing in this promotion with a pulse so I don't totally hate the idea of giving Ospreay the title. I dread to think how bad things would be without those 3, now 4 guys in freshening things up and wrestling with intensity on tours, pushing young talent that are motivated. Look at these cards coming up and imagine them without The Empire......Yano Vs Evil, Taichi Vs Tama in a ladder match for the iron gloves, Gedo and Dick Togo teaming up together, Sho and Yoh against Despy and kanemura for the 200th time. It's fucking horrendous. Don't get me started on Jay White returning with no character development.