Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NXT Takeover: Stand & Deliver - April 7th-8th, 2021 - Card & Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NXT Takeover: Stand & Deliver - April 7th-8th, 2021 - Card & Discussion

The show was actually fun to watch, I thought. Obviously WALTER vs Ciampa was the MOTN but everything else was very watchable despite none of it being great. Kushida and Dunne had a strong opening match and the Gauntlet match had some fun moments. Bronson Reed is someone who can force Gargano to do something different, I hope, so that adds something to today's show. The main event was fine. Io decided to do every move she could think of, overshadowing Gonzalez. Not the match I would've booked but it's good for fans of Io Shirai, except for the result.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status
      Country                    United States

Heck of show, not one bad match to me imo. WALTER vs Ciampa absolutely delivered, the tag team championship match was tons of fun, gauntlet eliminator was fun, Dunne vs Kushida was a solid opener, and the main event was really good.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Letterboxd

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah great 1st night. Ciampa/WALTER was the clear MOTN but that, the Tag team title match, and Io/Gonzalez were all great. Dunne/Kushida was also a very good match that I feel will get overlooked as the week goes on. The only downer was the gauntlet match and even then, it wasn't a terrible match at all.

Looking forward to Night 2. I'm gonna go for Escobar/Devlin to steal the MOTN award from Cole/O'Reily and Kross/Balor.

Underdog

Status

Decent enough show with everything hovering between ok and good, except for WALTER/Ciampa which was a cracker.

Dunne/Kushida was symptomatic of some of the things I struggle with in wrestling these days. I can tell that they are competent and work pretty smoothly but nothing they were doing had any substance to it. They were having a match based on the fact that they were two master tactical wrestlers, yet they were going through their spots at such a rapid rate that nothing they did had the time to sink in and actually mean anything, as they were already moving onto the next spot. To me it felt too much like a dance rather than a wrestling match.

WALTER/Ciampa was a total contrast. This didn’t feel like a dance, this felt like violence. Two men hurting the opponent in an effort to wear him down sufficiently to win the match. When one tried to hit a move, the other didn’t just let him hit the move, he tried to thwart his opponent, as you would if you were actually wrestling someone. You wouldn’t just let someone German Suplex you, you’d try to stop it happening. This was definitely more up my street.

Everything else was alright. Was sure Lumis was winning the gauntlet so it was good to see Reed win that. The tag match was fun enough. Another match where Shane-O Shirai hurls herself off of a tall structure, that’s gotten old quick. Decent match otherwise and probably the right call to put the belt on Gonzalez as Shirai seems to have ran out of credible opponents.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Gilo View Post
    Dunne/Kushida was symptomatic of some of the things I struggle with in wrestling these days. I can tell that they are competent and work pretty smoothly but nothing they were doing had any substance to it. They were having a match based on the fact that they were two master tactical wrestlers, yet they were going through their spots at such a rapid rate that nothing they did had the time to sink in and actually mean anything, as they were already moving onto the next spot. To me it felt too much like a dance rather than a wrestling match.
    I only skimmed this but I thought it was dreadful. To add to this I'd say this was a match with a billion finger/hand/arm break spots and neither guy seemed to sell the injuries longer than 2 seconds. Guys like Dunne have made that spot completely meaningless
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

My hang-up with Dunne vs Kushida is that it was supposed to be the battle of the two masters of technical wrestling, but I've never thought of Kushida as a technical wrestler. Beyond his multiple attempts of The Hoverboard, he mostly just focuses on flying around or striking.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Rest of the show:

Kushida/Dunne
    - It was both a good way to start the show for NXT's audience because it was so fast paced, and also a poor match at the same time because nothing matter and it's laughable that it was presented as great technical wrestling match. First of all, you can't present a match in NXT as the 2 best technical wrestlers on the roster facing each other, and Timothy Thatcher isn't involved in the match. As everyone has pointed out, the way the hand work meant nothing and finger breaking was used every minute as a transition spot sucked. This match is a perfect example of how Pete Dunne has regressed as a wrestler by just being in NXT. To Triple H and Shawn Michaels, Pete Dunne is the finger break guy, so every match he has now is a hand work match, every match has to have commentators screaming 'BENDING THE DIGITS' 5 times a match, every match involves his opponent falling to his knees and just so happens to leave both his hands laid out for Dunne to stomp on them. He's beyond Pentagon Jr levels of over-using the hand/arm breaker spots, because at least Pentagon just uses them as finishers and not a lot of his match involves him working over the arm; Dunne's whole formula is work over a guys fingers and hands, pretend to break them, get beaten up, pretend to break them again in a closing stretch, then win with the Bitter End anyway. I'm over it, he was one of the brightest prospects in wrestling 3-4 years ago, and WWE have made him a one note wrestler.

Gauntlet - I'm not watching a match with Sam Shaw and Eli Drake in it in 2021.

Tag 3 way - Lot of fun, PWG style match which definitely suited a couple of the teams. I liken this to the lucha 3 way on the ROH PPV last week, nothing too clever just mindless fun to excite the fans. MSK might well be the best tag team of 2021, and I wasn't much of a fan of them before they signed to NXT. They made the right choice.

Io/Raquel - Gotta echo MC's thoughts, this match was way too much about Io Shirai to the point where this felt like A) an undeserved/fluke victory for Raquel and B) Raquel's least impressive performance the last year (where she's been full of impressive performances). Good match, but not really what I wanted out of the night Raquel wins the title. I'm already concerned they're making her babyface and Dakota (not around to celebrate the win) is gonna turn on her soon out of jealousy.

Ciampa/Walter MOTN for sure, but a fun if not frustrating show overall.
    Last edited by Ed; 04-08-2021 at 04:44 PM.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

The ladder match was a bit odd. Not bad, but it was two heels going at it while we were meant to cheer for Devlin in the match. That's already tough enough when he's a heel, but also because of the whole Times Up stuff. Legado del Fantasma interfering meant absolutely nothing, but then the post-match presented Escobar in that babyface moment by celebrating with his son...but also his lackeys. Idk, it made sense to have Devlin vs Escobar since both had claims to the title, but the match needed a more true babyface.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Haven’t watched yet, but it’s cool they brought in the son that did the cut throat taunt to LA Park after his dad lost the mask to him that kid was great.
    ​​​
    ​​​ ​​​​​​

Ed's Favourite Threads

Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

Jesus Christ. Despite aiming for both heels, Shotzi's Suicide Dive somehow completely missed both of them. That has to be one of the saddest attempts of a Suicide Dives I've ever seen.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

That Ladder match felt so off to me, just felt like a shitty spot fest.

EVERYBODY DIES!

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Jesus Christ. Despite aiming for both heels, Shotzi's Suicide Dive somehow completely missed both of them. That has to be one of the saddest attempts of a Suicide Dives I've ever seen.
    Poor suicide dive attempt, great actual suicide attempt..

I pretty much zoned out of the O'Reilly/Cole match. Went on for a long time, but since they can't do blood, unsanctioned matches really lack something.

p r o p e r b a s t a r d

Status
      Country                    Canada

I’m not done night 2 yet, but my biggest takeaway so far is, I cannot stand the ring announcer. She’s trying waaaay to hard.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The second night totally disappointed.

The slight positives first:
    Even though Kross had a good match and performance, he is still missing something. I think he'll be someone who doesn't ever that that one thing unless Vince produces some magic on the main roster. He's one of those guys. I'm sad to see Balor's title reign end. It's probably been the best title run in NXT for a good while.

Devlin vs Escobar wasn't nearly as good as I would've thought. I think a straight up match would've been better. Escobar continued to look like a star though with his son out there and the rest of the group. His promo backstage was cool as well. That wink was gold.

Onto the rest:
    The main event wasn't terrible but they lost me really early and then with the lengthy run time, it was just a terrible experience. I was watching both NXT and Bloodsport at the same time and I turned off the latter to fully focus on that so imagine my disappointment. The clothesline with the chain spot was great though.

Gargano vs Bronson Reed didn't change my mind on either. Reed is another "I'm a big man who can do moves do that's all I do". That Cartwheel out of the rana spot would've been terrible with or without Gargano getting almost no leverage on the contact. Awful match that also went on forever.

The women's tag was boring as well. Shotzi almost killing herself was the highlight as always. They tried, but I just didn't care about this.

Night Two was easily the better show and they didn't deliver.

Underdog

Status

Night 2 delivered. Bad wrestling.

The opener seemed to have Michaels’ fingerprints all over it (and the main event). Thought Devlin looked rough. Him getting beaten down by Escobar’s goons only to pop up 30 seconds later and get back on offence was where I checked out.

The women’s tag was possibly the worst match I’ve seen this year. Blackheart needs to be taken off TV asap and taught some fundamentals. She’s woeful.

Gargano/Reed was your typical Gargano pulls faces of disbelief match. The cartwheel spot was embarrassing.

Kross/Balor seemed alright. Shame Balor’s run is over. It’s the most I’ve enjoyed his work.

KOR/Cole was another instalment of the ‘NXT MAIN EVENT EPIC’ that has majorly soured my enjoyment and investment in the product. I like O’Reilly but I just do not get Cole at all. He comes off as someone playing wrestler rather than actually being one. If I never saw another match of his I wouldn’t be sorry.

Other than that I thought it was a great show!

WAKE UP

Status

Saw a gif of the Shotzi dive, definitely the heels' fault. She was going between Ember's legs, not much room for her to go off course, and it is the job of the worker(s) taking the dive to make sure they catch the person diving properly.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

The camera cuts when Kross was hitting cross arm blows to Finn in the build up to the finish were fucking terrible, even for WWE's standards.

Also, it's a blood feud Unsanctioned match so KOR comes out... And essentially dances and shakes his way to the ring??? Wtf? None of that made any sense for a blood feud. At least Adam Cole had the psychology of the entrance down, being focused but still smug in Kyle's face. I'm still expecting to watch this match and absolutely hate it, sadly.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Kross/Balor being the best match of night 2 really sums up how disappointing that show really was.

Both the women’s tag match and the ladder match undelivered. The ladder match in particular just felt off and never hit the highs it could have. As for the tag match, I’m shocked Shotzi didn’t break her neck with that botched dive. Reed/Gargano was about what I expected, there was a part of me that thought Reed was gonna win the title.

As for KOR/Cole. I didn’t watch the show live so when I saw Balor/Kross end with an hour left on the show run time, I immediately felt like switching off. Probably should have after wasting time watching it. It was exactly the forced epic I didn’t want to see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information