Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

WAKE UP

Status

WWE 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Same drill as last year folks. Watch, nominate, vote, discuss.

Basically - if you feel a match this year is especially good, nominate it here, and then others vote YES or NO if they think it is especially good too or not. A match does not have to be a MOTYC to be nominated, but rather one you think is good enough to go out of your way for. To nominate a match you must give a reason or explanation. You don't need to go into detail to vote YES or NO, but are encouraged to do so.

This opening post will keep track of all matches nominated and their votes. Matches with a +3 value will be bolded to highlight them.

NOMINATIONS:

Drew McIntyre vs Keith Lee, RAW 4/1 - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Finn Balor vs Kyle O'Reilly, NXT New Year's Evil - 4 YES, 0 NO
    Big E vs Apollo Crews, Smackdown 8/1
    WALTER vs A-Kid, NXT UK 14/1 - 2 YES, 0 NO

MSK vs Grizzled Young Veterans, NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day

Daniel Bryan vs Jey Uso, Smackdown 5/3
    Drew McIntyre vs Sheamus, Fastlane - 1 YES, 0 NO
    Roman Reigns vs Daniel Bryan, Fastlane - 2 YES, 0 NO

WALTER vs Tommaso Ciampa, NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver - Night 1 - 3 YES, 0 NO
    Io Shirai vs Raquel Gonzales, NXT TakeOver: Stand & Deliver - Night 1 - 1 YES, 2 NO
    Sasha Banks vs Bianca Belair, Wrestlemania - Night 1 - 3 YES, 0 NO
    Roman Reigns vs Edge vs Daniel Bryan, Wrestlemania - Night 2 - 2 YES, 0 NO
    Roman Reigns vs Daniel Bryan, Smackdown 30/4 - 2 YES, 0 NO

Bobby Lashley vs Drew McIntyre vs Braun Strowman, Wrestlemania Backlash
    Roman Reigns vs Cesaro, Wrestlemania Backlash - 2 YES, 0 NO

Roman Reigns vs Rey Mysterio, Smackdown 18/6 - 0 YES, 2 NO

Edge vs Seth Rollins, Summerslam
    Roman Reigns vs John Cena, Summerslam
    WALTER vs Ilja Dragunov, NXT TakeOver 36 - 2 YES, 0 NO
    Last edited by King Steventon; 10-30-2021 at 09:44 AM.
    Talk about the best matches of the year here:

WWE | AEW | New Japan | Other

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWE 2021 Match YES/NO Thread

Nominating:

Drew McIntyre Vs Keith Lee 4th Jan - The best match to take place on Jan 4th this year. I think it's easily my favourite of the Drew title matches, and Lee got to look like a credible WWE challenger too. Very good modern day version of a heavyweight match.

Finn Balor Vs Kyle O'Reilly 6th Jan
    - A well worked rematch from their highly regarded 2020 Takeover match. Comes in a shorter than that match, but the don't let up on the intensity and psychology. Got Has unique angle of working a jaw injury.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads
    Ed Reviews Everything l Ed's Kings Road Journey

Ed's Top Matches of the Year Lists

WAKE UP

Status

Balor vs O'Reilly - YES. Agreed with Ed. Good match with a unique, cool injury story.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 01-09-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Bo Dallas Mark

Status

Nominating Big E vs Apollo Crews Jan 8, Smackdown - Fun encounter that made both men look good, despite what happened midway through
    burger

Underdog

Status

Balor/O’Reilly - YES. A highly enjoyable match featuring interesting limb work worked at a good pace. My kind of match.

McIntyre/Lee - YES. A really good heavyweight sprint. Could’ve done without the Spanish Fly but I’ll let it slide as the rest of the match was fun. Arguably both men’s best main roster performance.

Bookerman

Status
      Country                    Europe

Bálor/O’Reilly - YES. Probably better than the Takeover match in a shorter window, and a great finishing sequence that played off the first match.

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate WALTER vs A-Kid, NXT UK 14/1

Real good big vs little match. I was pleasantly surprised at how well Kid did here, ducking and and dodging WALTER but really blasting him with his kicks. Of course when WALTER finally lands one of his big ham hocks, it's night and day. Thought Kid's selling at the end was a little suspect, he shrugged off that nasty powerbomb on the apron too quick, but a minor quibble on an otherwise good match. WALTER gave him plenty before murdering him dead like an Austrian Stan Hansen.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 01-15-2021 at 05:22 PM.

World Champion

Status
      Country                    United States

Put me down for a YES on Finn/KOR and Walter/A-Kid. Both were really right down my alley with the snug in ring action they provided and stories they played out.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

YES on WALTER/Kid. You just can't go wrong with a Walter singles match it seems, at least since they stopped making him work 30 minute matches with Gallus. I'm somewhat surprised at the lengths that NXT UK are going to with A-Kid to push him, but at the same time on a roster full of JAGs who else are you going to push. I really enjoyed this one, different kind of match to the Ilja beatdown, more cat and mouse with some submission work thrown in there. My guess is they're building up to either Tyler Bate taking the belt off him when there's a crowd allowed again, or Ilja gets a rematch.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

2 months to make another recommendation

I watched Daniel Bryan Vs Jey Uso on 5/3/21 this morning. This is the cage match where Bryan won the right to face Roman at Fastlane. I thought this was really good, great aggression from Jey and they had the big spots you'd hope for in a cage match with a super samoan drop and Bryan worked into the finish well. This isn't a Jey Uso narration match like the Roman stuff, so we're low on the melodrama that might have turned people off his singles run so far, and another positive is Roman doesn't try and get involved all match so it's just down to Jey and Bryan until a clean finish. Oh and it's minimal cage door BS, Jey tends to try for an over the top escape instead which is always a thumbs up from me. I'd have it around 3.75, and for WWE this year that's probably on par for a recommendation.
    ​​​​​ ​​​
    Ed's Favourite Threads

WAKE UP

Status

Nominate

Reigns vs Bryan, Fastlane

The obvious problem with this match was the booking of the Edge stuff and that you know the match isn't over until those events transpire. All that business aside, I thought this was pretty great. The early portion of the match was some really well done technician vs powerhouse stuff with Bryan shooting for takedowns and trying to grab a sub on Reigns, with Reigns having to use his power to avoid and then punish. Bryan is still a wizard on the mat, catching holds and countering into submissions from all different angles. Reigns was still sorta plodding and full of WWE-level trash talk, but I thought he gave his best effort since returning and had his working boots on. All of his stuff looked hurty and I liked some of the gritty stuff like facewashing Bryan with his glove. Even with the elephant in the room, they put together some really great nearfall and an exciting finishing stretch with lots of wrestling-created drama and a bunch of physicality (the face stomps, crossfaces, Reigns's powerbomb). Take out the Edge stuff and you'd be left with a slam dunk MOTY, but even then I thought the angle was reasonably well executed.

I will also nominate MSK vs Grizzled Young Veterans from the last Takeover, even if it's a bit marginal to me. They went too overboard at the back end, but the meat of the match was a very well worked fliers vs more grounded heel team match. MSK were really fired up and motivated and had a bunch of cool spots, definitely the sort of performance they needed to break out and feel like the Next Big Thing. I would say this was easily better than anything I've seen from them in PWG or Impact.

Vodka Drinking Admin

Status

YES - Reigns Vs Bryan Fastlane.

I think going in everyone expected some kind of iffy finish, and usually that always hampers my interest in a match, but in this occasion it's what I wanted to happen because that meant the GOAT would be in the mania match and there would be a proper babyface in the title match. What can I say, I'm biased so usually a finish I hate became a finish I love. I think they really executed it well, the ref ate all of Bryan's knee so that was a great ref bump, and the turn of Edge was a a bonus because I didn't think they'd go down that route and now he is a more interesting character finally.

As for the match itself before the finish, I thought it was fantastic. Both guys played their roles so well, Reigns has matured as a performer since their last match 6 years ago and I thought the story they told was excellent. Bryan IS the best wrestler in the company, that's the story they are telling that in a fair fight, for as intimidating as Roman is he gets out-thought and doesn't have an answer for Bryan's technical ability to tie him into a submission at every turn. Bryan has no fear of Roman, he's played this game before 7 years ago against The Authority, and you can see that in the opening moments where Bryan's smiling and has a lively, giddy attitude to getting to face Roman for real this time. It's actually Roman this time that sells the fear, he knows he's screwed if Bryan gets him down to the mat because with Edge watching on it's harder to take the cowards way out again. The nuts and bolts of the match were great, they had a deliberately slow pace in the early goings because they knew they were going 30 minutes, but they filled it with interesting stuff. The Yes lock counter from the Spear down the stretch was so good I punched the air. Bryan's the GOAT and it's always great when WWE let him loose to have the top tier matches he's capable of having. 20 years into his career he's still, easily, the best wrestler in his company and now he's saving the Wrestlemania main event again in another testament to
    how his talent speaks for itself.

Also nominate - Drew McIntyre Vs Sheamus, Fastlane.

I have a few more nitpicks with this match than Roman/Bryan so it's a touch down from there. I didn't like the booking decision of giving Drew the title shot with Bobby this week and then this just becoming a blow off match for a Raw program. I think the shit these two former friends were putting each other through would of made a bit more sense if there was a Wrestlemania main event spot on the line. I also thought the braveheart facepaint for Drew was hokey and his scream after the thunderdome screen spot was silly, but other than that, this match was great. Very physical, brutal, meat slapping match with a hot opening. They did the typical kendo stick stuff, but the walk and brawl in the thunderdome was pretty enjoyable I thought. This was Roman-Owens at the Rumble, but a bit more physical and with a better finish. I'd go 4 stars on it and it was the best no DQ brawl match of the week, but they didn't have a blade job to grab people's attention. I mean lets be real, this should of been the Wrestlemania match. I know there's this narrative about Bobby Lashley that he's good now, but I think that's greatly exaggerated and they've now got 3 weeks to build a mania worthy feud up now because they messed around with a Miz-Lashley quick switch. Sheamus has been the MVP of Raw and the only consistently good wrestler on the show in the last 4-5 months, he had a built in storyline with Drew, and as seen last night, they can kill it together.