Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Manager 21

Status

Football Manager 21

Beta: Out Now
    Full Release: 24 November 24, 2020
    New Features: Body Language, Contract and Transfer Clauses, Improved Match Engine and 3D, plus COVID-influenced financials
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Re: Football Manager 21

So the beta has been out for a bit. Full game drops soon. The feedback from the beta has been pretty solid and my experience has been quite solid as well. I feel like the 3D is definitely getting better. The game is faster all the way around, which was unexpected. The match engine has been improved from a pretty solid one version on FM20, with through balls happening more like they should.

The COVID factor impacts the game economics, but also makes certain leagues unplayable in 2020. You can't start a save in some South American countries in 2020 - you have to use a 2021 start date. the financial impact seems interesting and a lot of clubs will struggle for money. That means a lot of killer deals and transfer listed players who you wouldn't expect. Neymar has often been seen transfer listed after PSG fun afoul of FFP in season 2.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So the full version will probably be dropping sometime before too long.

Debating the first save. Typical possibilities. Atletico Mineiro in Brazil. Lokomotiv Moscow in Russia. Brentford or Blackburn in the championship. Hull City in League One. Kinda leaning towards one of the English clubs, as I think the money troubles will be lessened, and because so many people play in the top few divisions of England ont he beta, more problems will have bene found and solved.

Anyone else on board at this point?
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

I played some Arsenal and was doing pretty well, top of the league in November. Decided to start a new game as Deportivo to have something more long term though. First goal was fix their financial situation so I sold Diego Rolan per staff recommendation. Rolan was signed for 5M IRL about 2 years ago and was promptly loaned out to bigger teams for both years so he has never ever made an appareance for Deportivo. I found that hilarious.

My goal is to win Champions League with Deportivo. After that, I'll probably start a new game, I've got Royal from Belgium in mind, and then Journeyman save starting with hometown team of Atletico Ottawa.

I thought about going Fulham for the AEW ties but then heard Khan was a Trump donator so meh on that. Plus England's Brexit rules are annoying to deal with.

All About That Ace

Status

Thought this video has some cool ass suggestions for games:

5. Khimik in Belarus: This one is the most boring. Small Belarus team. You start the league at -9pts. Shit finances & players.
    4. Austin FC: Brand new MLS team so you only have two players to start! This is the most intriguing one for me. Being the Spurs of MLS would be fun af although Id much rather be a canadian team. Your minimum goal for the first 5 years is just to finish bottom of the league
    3. Vaduz in Liechenstein: You play for the Swiss league actually since Liechenstein doesnt get a league. That said, you get an easy route to Europe each year. Dominate Swiss League & turn Liechenstein into a Europe powerhouse.
    2. Chertanovo in Russia: You literally can't sign a player. You can only develop players through the academy.
    1. Xinjiang in China: They survived relegation 2/3 times because of teams below them dissolving. IRL they finally got relegated so this is their last gasp.

Mainly Austin FC/Vaduz/Chertanovo interest me.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Austin FC doesn't interest me for two reasons, IRL the owner is huge scumbag that tried what other sports team owners have done in getting Columbus to foot the bill for a new stadium and acted in bad faith the whole time. And as usual, MLS is still mostly broken because of their absurd rule structure and SIs attempted reproduction of it.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan Superman View Post
    Austin FC doesn't interest me for two reasons, IRL the owner is huge scumbag that tried what other sports team owners have done in getting Columbus to foot the bill for a new stadium and acted in bad faith the whole time. And as usual, MLS is still mostly broken because of their absurd rule structure and SIs attempted reproduction of it.

The bolded part is more unfortunate than the rest. I have big doubts 99.9% of football team owners arent scumbags in some form or another. Though if someone had a list of non-scumbag owners, that'd be great

Is there something particularly bad about the MLS compared to other sports leagues? And what did SI botch about their reproduction of it? I dont know enough about either. I figured MLS was basically the same as the rest of American sports.

Status

Deportivo is a great shout. Spain is a nice place to manage - loads of domestic talent, some interesting foreign player rules, and a good amount of money. I just never seem to get into a save in Spain but maybe I can change that on this version.

I love the idea of saves with clubs that are fallen giants to some extent.

Some interesting names on the list. More intriguing that most of the suggestion lists one sees. Although I do agree with Mike - FC Austin is a no-go for me as well.

Looking like I will probably start with Brentford. I was going to get the save going last night, but setting up my retain player file took awhile and then I realized that the new Atletico Mineiro stadium is in the data but the club move isn't. So I messed around in the Editor for that. So I will get it rolling tonight, I think.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Deportivo is a great shout. Spain is a nice place to manage - loads of domestic talent, some interesting foreign player rules, and a good amount of money. I just never seem to get into a save in Spain but maybe I can change that on this version.

I love the idea of saves with clubs that are fallen giants to some extent.

Some interesting names on the list. More intriguing that most of the suggestion lists one sees. Although I do agree with Mike - FC Austin is a no-go for me as well.

Looking like I will probably start with Brentford. I was going to get the save going last night, but setting up my retain player file took awhile and then I realized that the new Atletico Mineiro stadium is in the data but the club move isn't. So I messed around in the Editor for that. So I will get it rolling tonight, I think.
    I'm only hoping that no one wins the league besides Valencia/Madrids/Barca so I can be the one to break the streak. I'm in the process of a board takeover atm. Hopefully its a rich one if it goes through -_-

Why Brentford?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post
    The bolded part is more unfortunate than the rest. I have big doubts 99.9% of football team owners arent scumbags in some form or another. Though if someone had a list of non-scumbag owners, that'd be great

Is there something particularly bad about the MLS compared to other sports leagues? And what did SI botch about their reproduction of it? I dont know enough about either. I figured MLS was basically the same as the rest of American sports.
    Mike can likely offer a better explanation as he has messed around with the MLS more over the years. But basically the issue is that the MLS isn't set up like and doesn't function similar to any other league in the world. Its basically halfway between a standard American sports league (MLB, NFL) and the FIFA-mandated footballing world. And that means a whole bunch of mechanics have to put into the game purely for the MLS and they don't really work ideally. Things like the draft, trading, some of the weird contract designations...
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post
    I'm only hoping that no one wins the league besides Valencia/Madrids/Barca so I can be the one to break the streak. I'm in the process of a board takeover atm. Hopefully its a rich one if it goes through -_-

Why Brentford?
    this will probably turn into a wall of text, so presumptive apology.

Basically, I figure I'll start with a save that has a bit of a challenge but where things shouldn't be too hard either. Having a bit of money to spend is always fun, especially with a new database that has new wonderkids to go after. I also figure that given how many people tend to play in England in the top couple of divisions, a lot of the bugs will have be found, which is less so the case in more exotic leagues. I was actually tempted to start with a mid to lower Prem club just to mess around for a season n or two, but Brentford just appealing a bit more.

I never bothered with managing in England for a lot of FMs. And there are still elements I don't enjoy. Work permits and dealing with the big clubs, plus the inflated prices of English players.... all not cool. But being in the Championship generally is fun, as is getting big money to spend after you promote to squad-build for the Prem.

Brentford are a side I really only started paying some attention to in the past couple of years and only tried managing on FM20. They are run a bit different, with a very overt focus on buying talent and developing it to sell it on. They don't even run a youth academy anymore. They have a nice combo of some good players, some young and some veteran, and some youngsters with pretty good potential.

My favorite Championship side is Blackburn, who I have run saves with in the past few versions of FM. But I figured I would leave that until things are a bit more settled. If I get 18 months into the save and a bug kills it, I probably won't want to go right back and start over with the same club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

I see about the MLS stuff. I've read the A.I. isnt great at working with the rules either. Guess I wont bother with it then ;( I do enjoy the American league sports structure so that was my temptation with MLS but if thats the case ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    this will probably turn into a wall of text, so presumptive apology.

Basically, I figure I'll start with a save that has a bit of a challenge but where things shouldn't be too hard either. Having a bit of money to spend is always fun, especially with a new database that has new wonderkids to go after. I also figure that given how many people tend to play in England in the top couple of divisions, a lot of the bugs will have be found, which is less so the case in more exotic leagues. I was actually tempted to start with a mid to lower Prem club just to mess around for a season n or two, but Brentford just appealing a bit more.

I never bothered with managing in England for a lot of FMs. And there are still elements I don't enjoy. Work permits and dealing with the big clubs, plus the inflated prices of English players.... all not cool. But being in the Championship generally is fun, as is getting big money to spend after you promote to squad-build for the Prem.

Brentford are a side I really only started paying some attention to in the past couple of years and only tried managing on FM20. They are run a bit different, with a very overt focus on buying talent and developing it to sell it on. They don't even run a youth academy anymore. They have a nice combo of some good players, some young and some veteran, and some youngsters with pretty good potential.

My favorite Championship side is Blackburn, who I have run saves with in the past few versions of FM. But I figured I would leave that until things are a bit more settled. If I get 18 months into the save and a bug kills it, I probably won't want to go right back and start over with the same club.
    This is basically why I dont really dig plying in England. The prices are insane and the permits are frustrating. But it also can feel samey since I have a file in England at some point or another ever year.

Brentford sounds interesting. I instinctively play like a selling club tbh so they sound sweet to run with. Though not having an academy would make me sad. Do they not have one in the game either or just IRL?

Status

The AI really isn't that amazing at squad-building at any time. I mean, its gotten so much better than ten years ago, when Chelsea would buy 3 40-million LBs in one window. But its still imperfect. Look at the big clubs buying wonderkids who are near first team level and letting them languish in the reserves. They AI for identifying actual needs and targeting suitable players has gotten better, but it still tends to get tripped up by rules and restrictions. for example, the foreign player rules in Russia will have almost every club in the Russian Premier League running very thin squads after a few seasons as they aren't aggressive enough about getting better Russian players or developing Russian prospects, plus they typically look to keep the foreign players they have instead of looking to trade up. with such convoluted rules, the MLS is definitely an extra challenge for the AI.

I think part of this just comes down to resourcing. Its not like you couldn't get the AI to work better with any given set of rules. Its that every league has different rules and the lesser-played leagues just aren't going to get a team of programmers assigned with the singular task of improving the squad-building AI for that specific league.

I really enjoy the challenge of taking a Championship squad and evolving it to be a Premier League squad, but the amount of money in the Prem has absolutely made that transition easier in recent FMs. But on both FM19 and FM20, I definitely found myself targeting a similar set of players, even when running different clubs. That definitely doesn't help to make a save feel unique.

Yeah, its a bit weird not having an academy. You can get the club to add one, though it would take a long while before it produced players of note. I've really struggled with clubs that don't have a reserve side, as its hard to keep everyone fit and match-ready, but the lack of academy and U18 side really just means you don't get youth intakes.

The story as I heard it was that the club got tired of having their best prospects poached by Prem clubs and the compensation wasn't covering the cost of running the academy, and the player who were poached weren't good enough to contribute to the club. So it was literally just a money-sink. Their approach became three-pronged - finding players let go by bigger clubs, scouting the lower divisions, and looking for bargain buys in Europe, particularly in the Scandinavian regions. So you have players like Josh DaSilva a nd Dominic Thompson, both who came through at Arsenal's academy. You have Rico Henry, Ethan Pinnock, Ivan Toney and Ollie Watkins who were lower division buys. Its an interesting approach, but they have been really successful with it.

Beyond that, they are also a London club and they just built a new stadium. It just struck me was one of the more interesting clubs at Championship level. as I mentioned, I do like to run Blackburn due to that history, but just not yet.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Got the Brentford save rolling and into October. We are first in the Championship but we haven't played too many top opponents. Also in the Quarter Final of the Carabao, but haven't played a Prem side yet in that. This isn't intended to be some save I play for years and years, but more just test things out and get more used to the new game.

Nice thing about a club like Brentford is that they have talent and prospects, so there aren't massive immediate needs. But they aren't so good that you can't possibly find a prospect with better long-term potential.

Start with something like 4-5m. That grew quickly. I started getting offers for a 3.5 star 19 year old Welsh winger who was going to be marginally part of the squad. Not enough potential to be a true Prem player, but all these Prem clubs started bidding. First bid was like 200K plus some add-ons, but under 1m total. Final bid was 9m up front, plus several million more in add-ons. Ridiculous offer for the level of player, even if he is home grown.

End of the transfer window, it happened again for an 18 year old English MC. Similar potential. First bid was like 150K. Sold him for 3m plus add-ons. I don't love selling British youth but I can't see either of them having developed into anything more than depth players. So big money is nice. We also have 22m from the obligation to buy on the Benhrama loan, so that will be nice too.

Main player I bought was Uruguayan DM Matias Ugarte. He's been my first choice DM since he arrived and he's completing something like 96% of his passes in the league. Ridiculous and nicely rounded skillset, plus lots of potential. Great signing. Wasn't thinking he would get a Work Permit but he did.

The other players I bought are a 21 year old Bosnian central defender who trained at Nottingham Forrest so he's considered home-grown. Good passer so makes a nice ball playing defender. I also spent a small chunk on a 6'5" Croatian striker and a Portuguese winger. The DM and the DC are starters. The others are rotational depth players who might hopefully develop into being more.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Finished the first season the summer of 2021. Spain won the European championship and their LB Gaya won player of the tournament.

The save is fucked up. But still trucking.

So we promoted pretty easily. Had a strong season. Once we officially promoted, we got a budget of 32m and a wage budget of 650K. Up from 450K per week. That's in Euros and the numbers matter later...

We are in that weird spot where are squad is pretty good for the Championship but marginal for the Premier League. But... there aren't a lot of clear and obvious weaknesses either. Quick review....

GK - Raya is not going to be elite in the Prem but he's a GK of that caliber. There are two 4-star prospects behind him.

DC - Anel Ahmedhodzic was bought from Malmo and he's a really good as a ball playing defender, probably our best all around player with room to get better. Behind him are three pretty good DCs, although none will stand out at the next level

FBs - LB is fine as Rico Henry is brilliant and Dominic Thompson is just behind him. RB is concerning. Dalsgaard is solid but a bit slow, and at 31, he's going to get slower. Mads Rasmussen doesn't seem quite the right level. I snag two 16 year old English RBs - one from Arsenal and one from Tottenham - but they are years away. My biggest focus was on finding a RB.

Mid - Ugarte has been very good and although he could do well at MC, he's controlling things at DM so well. Norgaard, Jensen, DaSilva, and Baptiste are all quite similar - good players who don't really stand out in any given way, able to play at either MC or DM. Janelt is the only one who is a different mould as he's more ball winning, which doesn't necessarily suit us. Not an area of need, but an area where a more dynamic player could be a nice addition

Wing - Sergi Carnos, Marcus Forss, Saman Ghoddos, Bryan Mbeumo… plus some prospects. Pretty well set up. Wasn't going to keep Ghoddos but his buy clause on his loan deal was pretty cheap.

ST - Ivan Toney isn't a perfectly suited striker for the system but he did well. Forss makes a pretty good option, and the 6'5" Croatian kid is developing very well. he could surpass Toney as #1 before too long.

Now my typical mistake in this particular situation is spending the whole budget on prospects. Solid young players prospects who have good top end potential, but who are not much of an immediate upgrade, if at all. Player who probably cost 5-10m apiece but they generally aren't wonderkids NOW. Players like the three I already bought. The problem is that the squad doesn't really improve in the short-term. I will also sometimes get blinded by 4/5 star potential and not pay enough attention to the player themselves. I generally can't afford the true wonderkids, the 30-50m 18-21 year olds who will go to a big club and actually be squad player. Instead, I'm fighting off the big clubs for the youngsters they will try to sign to stick in the reserves and loan out. Now you can sometimes make out VERY well by going after the under-used young players from big clubs. which I want to do, but that means waiting until later in the window. I wanted the squad assembled ASAP. So I start doing some hardcore recruiting.

First player I landed from an 18 year old Polish winger from Lech, Jakub Kaminski. This is where the problems started. 5 star prospect who can play on either side. Not a position of need, but he should develop well beyond the players we currently have, unless Mbeuno maxed out his potential. But as I'm finalizing the deal, Brexit is confirmed and its a shitty one. I'm not even sure how many options there are on FM21. The Brexit I got is a 17 foreign player limit but anyone being signed from outside of the UK requires a Work Permit. And Kaminski won't get a work permit, but I should be able to loan him.

Shitty Brexit is annoyance #2. Around this point, I'm starting to get annoyed at the lack of a youth academy. I mean, we have one and I got a youth intake. It was one of the worst youth intakes I've ever had, which makes sense - the background scale for training facilities, etc, are 1 to 20. We are at 1 for the youth setup. But I compensated by stealing a couple of decent newgen youth prospects from other clubs. Except they will have to go into the U23 squad as we don't have an under-18 squad. That's the annoying part. It shouldn't be that annoying - I knew that about Brentford going in. But on previous saves where I've run a club without a reserves squad, I was able to ask the board for one down the road. Can't with this.

Okay so back to buying. I move forward with the Kaminski buy. Its around 8m plus some addons. After spending half of the season scouting RBs, I come back with Joshua Vagnoman of Hamburg. He's 19, very quick, right footed but can play on the left, and attacking enough to play as a winger in a pinch. Fuck yeah. Ended up taking something like 25m and had to let him get unsettled. Doesn't even demand massive money. good deal.

So to finding a central mid was a bit of a challenge. Basically, i wanted Sergej Milinkovic-Savic. A hard-working, athletic, all-around type midfielder who also offers an upgrade in creative terms. Not a pure creative player, but someone who is dynamic. The two MC roles I use are Box-to-Box and Mezzala. So they need to be able to do everything. The central mids already in the squad are those all-rounders, but they don't really have that extra attacking umpf, and several aren't as athletic as I'd like. Now finding a poor man's Milinkovic-Savic is, as you might imagine, impossible. Like literally. Fully developed players like that are either at the biggest of clubs or at a pretty big club on a massive wage. The Work Permit situation also complicates it because if I could find some hidden gem at a tiny club who was already developed enough, they would probably fail to get a WP. Lots of options I looked at had great attacking skills but are lacking in other areas like work rate or athleticism. Or they are well-rounded mids like I already have with like 5 for Flair or Vision, which isn't ideal even if they have great passing, technique, and first touch. The basic idea is to employ a player model that adds in some more creative elements without losing the hard-working dynamics that allow us to control midfield.

After a lot of searching, the player I landed on was Imran Louza of Nantes, a 21-year old French central mid. Not quite perfect, but close enough. Not overly defensive and physicals aren't top notch across the board, but he's better than most options. Ended up spending about 20m structured. Lewis Cook of Bournemouth was probably my first overall choice just for being English, but that kinda predicated on Bournemouth staying in the Championship but they ended up promoting (I would get my revenge) and he had just signed a new contract anyway. Ah well...

As the 1st season closed out, these deals were pretty much all in place. I was feeling pretty good. But I kept getting in scouting reports since I had asked for so many. Swiss defender Leonidas Stergiou of St. Gallen wasn't going to cost a ton and he's a 4.5 star prospect. Did I need another central defender? Not really. But for 10m structured for a possible world class defender is hard to resist. It wasn't ideal squad building since he's a bit too similar of style player to Ahmedhodzic but I can't really afford the powerful monster CB with massive pace that I want so similar players it is.

Season closes out and I'm feeling pretty good. I spent almost all of the transfer budget (and then some, since they were all structure deal). Squad is looking pretty decent. There is a couple million left that I don't intend to spend. Wage budget is almost bang on at 650K, after offering a few star players new contracts. Nothing extravagant, but kinda necessary since they will tend to request new deals in the Prem anyway. All I should have to do in the summer is rebuild a bit of the back room staff. I normally revamp everything at the start but since this was a bit of a "learning save", I figured I would just let their contracts expire and replace them then.

On Saturday, I hit the end of June. This is where the leagues reset and we "officially" move up. its also where the new arrivals arrive. And where everything goes to fuck hell.

I get my monthly review from the board. They love me dearly, but are very upset at the wage budget. So I look... and we are spending 950K per week.

What. The. Fuck.

How did we go from 650K to 950K? I don't know if there was a big in there. I don't know if everyone had a significant wage increase written into their deal. Did the new deals I just offered out have those even though we had already technically promoted? Did some of the new signings? Just... fucking how?

So we are massively over the wage budget, however it happened. Which creates some serious restrictions. I won't be able to offer any players a new deal, which is going to be problematic since they all ask for one after promoting. I also am limited in what I can offer for staff, which sucks because nearly half of the staff just had their deal expire.

At this point on Saturday night, I was done with the save. Just fucking done. Whether I fucked up or it was a bug didn't matter.

Yesterday, I messed around a bit between matches and then just kept it rolling after the Tottenham-Arsenal result. Powered through the preseason and into the new season. Picked to finish 20th. But the fixture list can play a massive role in whether you do well or struggle badly. And we got an easy run of early fixtures. First big opposition is Tottenham in late August. First up was Bournemouth. 4-0 win. Then a win over Burnley. A draw to Villa and then another win. 10 of a possible 12 points. We will be fine.

I did manage to sign some staff to fill out the spots. We got 22m from the Benrahama to West Ham deal. Another 5m from another sale. Moved all of it into wages and we are up to a budget of like 850K, so a mere 100K per week over budget. but another issue is that the Polish winger can't get a Work Permit. So have to loan him out. But no one will loan him. I keep offering him out and interested clubs say they don't think the player is interested. Well fucking try, you wankers.

I think the only the thing kept me from just jumping into another save after the wage budget issue was that I'm not sure which option I want to pursue for the next save. I have a few options in mind but am not quite sure. Makes me think this Brenford adventure is on the downslope. But we shall see.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

I would recommend doing a save that's not in the UK, with how shit Brexit is :P

I bought this yesterday, first new FM I bought in years because well, FM12 is still the best game of them all. Definitely contemplating being an Italian or German club because Brexit doesn't sound fun.

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom-E View Post
    I would recommend doing a save that's not in the UK, with how shit Brexit is :P

I bought this yesterday, first new FM I bought in years because well, FM12 is still the best game of them all. Definitely contemplating being an Italian or German club because Brexit doesn't sound fun.
    Oh, managing outside of the UK is my norm. I almost never bothered with the UK at all until the last couple of FMs when I found I enjoy the start of a save with a Championship-level club. I just gradually lose that enjoyment. And yeah, I do not like the Brexit.

That said, money is a bigger issue on FM21 as a fallout of COVID. Prem clubs "get over it" pretty quick because of the TV money but it looks like other leagues suffer more. Its common to see Neymar leave PSG on a free, but you will also sometimes see big players at big clubs transfer listed for relative bargains - folks like Skrinier at Inter.

I played two more matches last night. Another win and a draw. Still playing the bottom-half clubs, but this run all but ensures we don't have to worry about the drop. I will have to answer questions about relegation all season, which is endless fun.

Mulling the next save. Going to Brazil to with Atletico Mineiro is most appealing at this point. Brazil will only let you start at the end of 2020, which is actually kinda appealing. The season there is weird - January to April is the state league and May to December is the actual league. The start dates always made things a bit messy and often meant I was taking over partway through a season. Part of the reason I wanna do Mineiro now is that they have a wonderkid winger (16 year old Salvio) and he might get nerfed on the next data update.

Other options include Russia, The Netherlands, Germany, or Mexico. In Russia, it would be Lokomotiv Moscow, who I run a save with every year. It would be Chelsea-affiliate Vitesse in The Netherlands. Germany and Mexico are a bit undecided. I did have a save in Italy with Genoa a couple versions ago but not sure Italy appeals that much. I love the idea of a save with Athletic Bilbao because of the Baseque-only policy... but I would probably also get annoyed by that. And I probably will do a Blackburn save at some point.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

I finished season 1 with Deportivo and what an aggravating structure they have.

I think they started off with:
    First Division
    Second Division
    Second Division B1 through B5
    Third Division

Div B1 through B5 are divided into two groups each. Top 3 teams in both groups of each B# play each other in a continuation of the league with same points. The other teams are involved in various sorts of relegation or promotion battles that you'd have a hard time making sense of.

After this series of games there's now another promotion playoff with two rounds and 16 teams. I managed to get through the first round but lost in the second against Barca B (sadly only the 2nd league loss all season -_-). I still got promoted though because now the league structure is different. It seems you got sorted into a different league based on your performance.

First Division
    Second Division
    Second Division Pro A
    Second Division Pro B
    Second Division Pro B1 through B5.

I got promotion to Second Division Pro B, and many teams that did not do nearly as well as me are there as well. Top 2 teams of Pro A & Pro B get promoted to Second Division. Its aggravating because I had a solid season but because the game is incapable of adequately communicating how the league structure works (I must've scrolled over the league rules 20x that season and even tried googling but pandemic made it hard to tell how its traditionally supposed to work), I honestly had no idea what I was playing for 99% of the time. I mustve been told I got promoted like 2-3X so at some point I even prematurely sold guys I didnt think I would need next season. By the time I got to the final playoffs my team was slightly depleted and I'd already started playing younger dudes because I had won the league by that point with like 5 games to spare.

Still in the offseason, other frustration that popped up as a result of just being in Spain is the stupid ass release clauses. Had it about 10X where I will trigger a release clause, sign the contract, and a couple days later get a lovely "actually we just decided to resign". I get it but god its an annoying cycle.

I want to get settled in a league where Im not favorite to win so I can just focus on surviving & developping young dudes but atm the mentality is win now because of expectations. Ah well.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I started my journeyman career at US Avranches in France, managed to secure a miracle second year promotion on the final day of my third season to go up to Ligue 1, and after the board gave me some paltry budgets, I decided to move on to Saint-Etienne.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Purchased this on the Xbox this year, I loved the previous one that was on the Xbox and though it's not as fulfilling as the PC version, you can really zip through the seasons with ease and in more comfortable fashion with a pad and on my sofa rather then a desk chair.. (My laptop is old, AF) - That said, I've played it once and haven't picked it back up Haha!

I accidently chose Man United to manage, it was set as my favourite team of course and I didn't see that it automatically selected me to manage them too as I clicked continue.

Nothing really noteworthy at the moment.

Tried to sell the likes of Jones, Rojo, Matic & Mata right away. Managed to get shot of Mata while I was only able to loan out Rojo for a decent fee. Matic & Jones are sadly here to stay.

In terms of purchases, I've signed Ikone from Lille for around 21m and I bought back Depay for 18m (I think) - Ikone had started really well with 3 assits on his debut as I beat Chelsea in the opening game 5-1 which was followed up with a goal in my 4-0 win over Crystal Palace in the next game. Sadly he's now injured and will be three months out.. Sigh.

I think it's Wolves next up in the Carabao Cup! I'll likely rotate and give some youngsters a chance.

I'm going to be downloading this on my PC too, then I'll likely do a proper save. Any recommendations of a team to start with? I might even do the unemployed journey and see how that turns out - I've never done that before, could be interesting and fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information