Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

  1. #1
    Huggin' and Kissin'
    Tig's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,666
    Rep Power
    3259318
      Country                    Ireland

    Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    So when I was reading the most recent edition of Fight Night (Krash vs Eli) I had an idea. Wouldn't it be cool if we, as readers, didn't always know the entire card? Background;

    ~ Krash cut a promo saying he was going to be a fighting NA Champ etc and was getting back to it after competing in the tag tourney with Parr. He issued an open challenge and Eli Black answered. This is awesome but it would've been so much better if I didn't already know it was Eli Black answering the challenge! Due to the match-card stating they were fighting, it took away some of the impact it would've had. ~

    There's so many situations this can be done in and gives so many more options while booking; singles turning into tags, open challenge concepts like we seen here, backstage altercation leading to an impromptu match.

    I think this could be really easily done and my suggestion would be to every so often not "announce" a match and instead PM the two handlers who can in turn, PM their promos to the mods and their opponent and they can be posted post-show. So, let's say you want to run an Alyster Black and Mike Parr match post Mile High because they ended up costing each other the match. Sure it'll be cool to just release the next Fight Night card and say Black v Parr but I think it'd be more fun to not announce it and then you could have Fight Night open with the two brawling unexpectedly leading to a match or have a war of words backstage stem into one of them challenging the other right there and then.

    What do you all think? Would it be fun to do the odd match in this vein? Is it feasible? Or is it a shit Tig idea?


    3X World Tag Team Champion (w/Christian Quinn, w/Randy Ramon & w/Ryan Rondo)
    1X Gauntlet Champion



    JOIN THE FWA!

  2. #2
    All About That Ace
    Commie Uncle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    17,387
    Rep Power
    5070020
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    I understand the idea but I'm personally opposed to it because I don't like it from a kayfabe point of view.

    I think realistically cards should be announced ahead of time. It doesn't make sense for a promoter to not have an entire 2hr card planned out and to just hope & pray that wrestlers will provoke each other on the day of the event into him booking these matches. I think the "wrestlers randomly piss each other off on the show & the bookers just decided to leave a 20 minute slot on this high advertisement show open on the off chance" is up there with the invisible camera as a thing that just doesn't make sense. I'm not sure where the trope started. I want to say its a mainstream wrestling thing that we've come to accept out of WWE/WCW but for all I know it was common even before that.

    If I thought the match gets booked on the show trope was good then I'd say yes to your suggestion but I actively think this is one of the less thought out parts of wrestling storytelling for me.

  3. #3
    Striving for a B+ in life
    The Golden One's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    9,313
    Rep Power
    1991718
      Country                    United States

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    Quote Originally Posted by noJ View Post
    I understand the idea but I'm personally opposed to it because I don't like it from a kayfabe point of view.

    I think realistically cards should be announced ahead of time. It doesn't make sense for a promoter to not have an entire 2hr card planned out and to just hope & pray that wrestlers will provoke each other on the day of the event into him booking these matches. I think the "wrestlers randomly piss each other off on the show & the bookers just decided to leave a 20 minute slot on this high advertisement show open on the off chance" is up there with the invisible camera as a thing that just doesn't make sense. I'm not sure where the trope started. I want to say its a mainstream wrestling thing that we've come to accept out of WWE/WCW but for all I know it was common even before that.

    If I thought the match gets booked on the show trope was good then I'd say yes to your suggestion but I actively think this is one of the less thought out parts of wrestling storytelling for me.
    I somewhat agree.

    I think it's second in logic to "we booked a match ahead of time and somehow knew we'd be low on broadcast time when the match is supposed to happen and the wrestlers would just so happen to get into an all-out brawl to cut the slot short" tactic.

    FWIW, I think the "impromptu/unannounced match" is fun due to the "you never know what to expect" aspect. And that's what Tig is going for, a jolt of fun and unexpectedness, which I appreciate. But yes, I can also see the logical flaws.



    3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    5x FWA Tag Team Champion


    2020 North American Sports Poster Of The Year

  4. #4
    Huggin' and Kissin'
    Tig's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,666
    Rep Power
    3259318
      Country                    Ireland

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    That's fair enough I completely get that! You don't think Krash's segment of calling someone out would've been more effective had we not already known it was Eli coming out?

    I'm suggesting this used as an irregular thing - I think there are certain situations where a "right here, right now!" sort of things would fly? Champion coming out an demanding a rematch or something? I get your criticism completely though I'd never thought of it like that and I'm a big fan of surprises so I may be a bit biased.


    3X World Tag Team Champion (w/Christian Quinn, w/Randy Ramon & w/Ryan Rondo)
    1X Gauntlet Champion



    JOIN THE FWA!

  5. #5
    Friendship King

    Smooth Jazz Wolf's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Pillow Fort
    Posts
    7,899
    Rep Power
    2653497
      Country                    Australia

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    I get where Tig is coming from. I like it, an idea of spontaneity to add a bit of unexpected excitement to the show. Realistically speaking it's a bit awkward, as previously mentioned with the 'lol GM booked only half a show, better hope someone trips over someone else's luggage and we get a surprise grudge match, right' thing, but you could justify it with the idea that the GM knows he's got a locker room full of combustible elements and can save 15-20 minutes of his show for the inevitable 'fuck you, fight me RIGHT NOW' argument. And if it doesn't happen? Just toss in a few ads for the FWA Network or something and call it a night.


    Spoiler:








  6. #6
    People's Champion
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,903
    Rep Power
    1409849
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    I can see both sides of the situation thats been raised.

    It is a logic flaw in Pro Wrestling. Why is there this slot of time just left open in case a bunch of wrestlers happen to randomly get into a brawl and a match comes from it? It's never made any sense, but at this point its a part of Pro Wrestling. Its been so much that it doesn't even garner thinking about how illogical it is, its just the way it is.

    It would be fun to see this sort of thing happen from time to time. An unannounced match taking place, hell even running a segment that leads to two singles matches that have been booked being combined into a tag team match.

    It could be tough booking wise though. Deciding ahead of the card on what match is going to be unannounced and what leads to it going down, approaching the handlers, getting approval. It could be too much work for little reward.
    Credit to Comeback Kid for the GFX

  7. #7
    All About That Ace
    Commie Uncle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    17,387
    Rep Power
    5070020
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    That's fair enough I completely get that! You don't think Krash's segment of calling someone out would've been more effective had we not already known it was Eli coming out?

    I'm suggesting this used as an irregular thing - I think there are certain situations where a "right here, right now!" sort of things would fly? Champion coming out an demanding a rematch or something? I get your criticism completely though I'd never thought of it like that and I'm a big fan of surprises so I may be a bit biased.
    I think that the way the segment was executed was worse than the lack of surprise (they did not have to set up the match imo, they couldve just known it was happening and exchanged words). I'm used to it in wrestling and the limitation of efedding are clear so I accept it and it doesnt bother enough for me to criticize it.

    I understand why you like it, like I said, we've been watching mainstream wrestling for ages and we're conditioned to accept these tropes as being baked into wrestling. Just like Japanese wrestling fans & Mexican wrestling fans probably have different tropes they're used to accepting (those stupid eternal CMLL pinfalls).

    This Fight Night actually had a good example of impromptu match being done well in Yuna vs. Knox tbh. Though I know your idea would have it be more thought out by the RPers themselves and maybe it wouldve been fairer to Yuna vs. Knox if it was done that way but I imagine staff factored in the scores of both RPers for that show when they decided on the result.

    I do think that your idea is a good means of executing this wrestling trope, I'm just not huge on the trope. If it happened, I wouldnt really lose sleep or be bothered. So it is what it is.

  8. #8
    All About That Ace
    Commie Uncle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hollywoo
    Posts
    17,387
    Rep Power
    5070020
      Country                    Palestinian Territory

    Re: Storyline Matches - no, not like THAT

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    I get where Tig is coming from. I like it, an idea of spontaneity to add a bit of unexpected excitement to the show. Realistically speaking it's a bit awkward, as previously mentioned with the 'lol GM booked only half a show, better hope someone trips over someone else's luggage and we get a surprise grudge match, right' thing, but you could justify it with the idea that the GM knows he's got a locker room full of combustible elements and can save 15-20 minutes of his show for the inevitable 'fuck you, fight me RIGHT NOW' argument. And if it doesn't happen? Just toss in a few ads for the FWA Network or something and call it a night.
    LMFAO. The thought that fans will either get 15 minutes worth of ads or a 15 minute match depending on how hot headed the roster is feeling that day is great.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •