Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 21/10/2020

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 21/10/2020

I'm also wondering how Abadon being injured plays into the AEW continually mishandles serious injuries statement, or if that was just a separate statement tacked on at the end? Because we don't know how she was injured or how it was handled yet, we can't just wag our finger at AEW every time a wrestler gets injured, as common as injuries are in this business.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    This "y'all have to shoot down wrestler ideas" statement is so silly because people are acting like these things are universally hated instead of it just being that it's not to your specific tastes meanwhile plenty of people actually do enjoy it so why would AEW shoot down those ideas? You're basically saying "AEW has to know what I personally like/dont like ahead of time so they can kill those ideas at birth." Which is such a weird take
    I dont get what you're upset about here.

I'm giving my opinion on something. Is your suggestion that I should form my opinion and what I enjoy based on what others enjoy? AEW's put forth a lot of garbage that I haven't enjoyed, garbage that's obviously instances of wrestlers having full creative freedom. What else do you judge personally enjoyment/entertainment off of other than what you personally enjoy?

You have to enjoy what everyone else enjoy's is the most absurd take I've ever heard in my life.

Hail To The King

Status

Can we please give eddie the title
    ​Sazh Katzroy Father, Friend, Hero

Spoiler:

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

Not to be one to turn an AEW chat into a WWE vs. AEW thing but sometimes I do wonder if Le Dinner Debonair would have been successful had it been on WWE television or is it simply because AEW is the alternative? Not to say that it was universally adored in AEW but sometimes I feel at best, anything bad that AEW puts out is simply 'divisive', whereas that would translate into 'despised' and panned in WWE.

For the record, just in case it needs saying, I do enjoy AEW as an alternative and I do think they have a certain level of freshness about them. I'm just thinking out loud - because heaven forbid people like more than one wrestling company. I think the most jarring thing for me was trying to work out whether it was MJF and Jericho's actual voices and then realising that MJF sounded a lot better than Jericho did.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    I dont get what you're upset about here.

I'm giving my opinion on something. Is your suggestion that I should form my opinion and what I enjoy based on what others enjoy? AEW's put forth a lot of garbage that I haven't enjoyed, garbage that's obviously instances of wrestlers having full creative freedom. What else do you judge personally enjoyment/entertainment off of other than what you personally enjoy?

You have to enjoy what everyone else enjoy's is the most absurd take I've ever heard in my life.
    That's not what I'm saying. Saying "They should learn to reject wrestlers ideas" implies that they would have the same view of a good/bad idea that you have. How can they know what ideas they should reject according to you if they have different views? So it's a stupid thing to say.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post
    Not to be one to turn an AEW chat into a WWE vs. AEW thing but sometimes I do wonder if Le Dinner Debonair would have been successful had it been on WWE television or is it simply because AEW is the alternative? Not to say that it was universally adored in AEW but sometimes I feel at best, anything bad that AEW puts out is simply 'divisive', whereas that would translate into 'despised' and panned in WWE.

For the record, just in case it needs saying, I do enjoy AEW as an alternative and I do think they have a certain level of freshness about them. I'm just thinking out loud - because heaven forbid people like more than one wrestling company. I think the most jarring thing for me was trying to work out whether it was MJF and Jericho's actual voices and then realising that MJF sounded a lot better than Jericho did.
    I think with certain things there have been cases of AEW getting away with things WWE wouldn’t. Like I can just see everyone shitting on Miro’s Best Man gamer gimmick if it happened in WWE. But with Le Dinner Debonaire, Stadium Stampede and other whacky things AEW have done, usually the execution is simply much better than if WWE writers tried their hands at it.

Although, I haven’t seen MANY AEW diehards stick up for pre-pandemic Dark Order, Nightmare Collective, Butcher & Blade’s debut and other failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Main Eventer

Status

Ha a fan asked Jericho who came up with the idea for the Musical and Jericho replied Jim Cornette. Pretty funny troll

But Cornette making fun of everything AEW does kills anything Jericho does on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Looking Glass View Post

Is AEW still an alternative? I dont get that impression at all from the skits and booking i have seen
    Last edited by indyfan; 10-24-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    NHL 94 is the best Hockey game of all time

Fire Walk with Me

Status
      Country                    Great Britain

I mean an alternative to me is literally somewhere that offers an accessible product. I would say AEW is very much an alternative.

Status

I don't think WWE could ever pull off the MJF/Jericho skit, based on their past several years of comedy attempts. R-Truth seems to be the only person on that roster who can consistently make their comedy work. I even look at someone like Otis who I think is legit funny and even he is having to do shit like "El Gran Gordo" that is just so fucking low brow. I mean, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are two guys I could imagine doing a similar skit in WWE and making it be watchable through sheer ability. But beyond that... I just don't think WWE's writers or workers have the same comedic sense, writing ability, or creative freedom to make it happen.

But also yes I do think AEW can easily be seen as an alternative to WWE. Their booking and skits and segments are super fucking different to WWE. We were just talking the other day about how few DQ/count out finishes Dynamite has had. AEW also gives you blood and vulgarity, and off the cuff promos, and storyline continuity, and comedy that seems to work for the 18-49 demographic, and used pyro before WWE brought it back, and unique PPV sets, and much different match styles, and genuinely pays tribute to past eras of wrestling (sometimes too much, some would say) rather than trotting out any random legend just to appear and try to get a rating pop or something. The differences are huge. You'd probably have to, you know, actually watch the shows to understand that though.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Looking Glass, if you're asking whether the Jericho/MJF segment, if 100% replicated the same way was shown on WWE television, would receive the same response, I think the answer is absolutely yes. Jericho was getting a scarf and a sheet of paper over, people were clinging on to every single promo and segment he was doing over there, this really would have been no different. Their promo the week before dragged and was awkward but I'll say that the Debonair, in my opinion, was done really well.

People act like these type of segments don't work in wrestling. I still remember the Bryan/EC3/Bella Twins dinner date segment, that you know, I thought was genuinely entertaining. Sometimes it's not even the writers or Vince's fault if something fails, good/interesting characters/wrestlers can make stuff work. The writer's job should be to have the ability in bringing out the absolute best out of someone and playing to their strengths, which is something AEW as a company does really well. People don't feel forced or out of place in the company because they continuously hide people's weaknesses.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

I think it's about the context of the company as a whole for stuff like this. The fact that I enjoy the product more definitely makes me a little biased, and I am capable of overlooking the occasional lame skit. I agree that the Miro/Kip video game stuff is bad and I'm not into it, but it doesn't outright offend my tastes like a lot of the Corbin v Reigns feud this year (and many, many similar things down the years with WWE). It got to the stage where I would absolutely not watch WWE with partners or friends because I might have to end up explaining why one of the guys was covered in dog food. I have no such issues with AEW and don't feel that I'm watching something produced almost-exclusively for children. A zany MJF/Jericho singalong is not even on the same level as the nonsense WWE routinely puts out. To compare the two companies in this way is not valid, for me.

The closest AEW got to WWE-level nonsense was the dentist surgery match they did a few weeks back. That was an awful bit of television, but for the most part I don't think this happens anywhere near as frequently or to the same degree as it happens in WWE. Or at least that it did when I was still watching that product.

Raye - I get your point, but I would say they should've waited and done it properly. That segment would've gone from a neat idea to gold, for me, if they'd waited and thrown the kitchen sink at it.

[Merry Xmas WC]

Status
      Country                    England

The Jericho/MJF skit would be so micro managed in WWE it wouldn't be half as effective. I'd argue it wouldn't be better or worse, just more average and not notable

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

A WWE Dinner Debonaire would probably be about a chickenshit heel like Sami Zayn trying to befriend a monster like Lars Sullivan, who by this point they’ll have given up on any serious push with him, to become his tag partner/muscle. The jokes will be that he can eat a lot more than Sami and makes a mess, and that surprise surprise he’s actually a really good singer/dancer but they will have dubbed his voice and the dancing will be noticeably average but they’ll put it over like he was great. And instead of getting Me and My Shadow for fair use with parody lyrics, they’ll have someone whip up a generic knockoff song.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information