Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 21/10/2020

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: AEW Dynamite On TNT - 21/10/2020

Sammy/Matt in an Elite Deletion match at Full Gear. I hope they can redeem themselves from the All Out incident, I genuinely think the two have really good chemistry together.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Guarantee Jericho pitched that musical number in WWE and got turned down, or Kevin Owens can’t sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

That musical was GOLD, blew everything else these two have done together completely out of the park and might be one of the most impressive thing I never expected to see on a wrestling show ever. I loved this show, everything was top notch minus the main event which I kind of just dozed off during bc the outcome was obvious.

WAKE UP

Status

JB vs Wardlow was good. Wardlow still needs to add in more nuts and bolts stuff to his offence but he understands how to sell as a big man, and JB looked very good in everything he did.

Omega's entrance was something. He MUST be going heel because that was lame and douchey beyond belief.

Moxley vs Kingston doesn't feel like a PPV Main event, but I am here for it. The I Quit stip just sweetens the deal.

Penta vs Fenix was a crappy spotfest with some sloppyness. Amazing how many times these guys have worked together and there was still awkwardness at parts. This match was everything I don't give a shit about in AEW.

The Best Friends vs Kip/Miro promo over the broken arcade machine further highlighted how fucking lame the whole angle is. Someone with power needs to start saying 'No' to some ideas.

This Team Taz vs Darby fued is good but feels like it's beginning to drag on about now. Would rather them just run a blow off match at Full Gear instead of Cody vs Darby.

Have to imagine the Elite Deletion match will be cinematic.

I'll be in the minority who didn't care for the Jericho vs MJF stuff.

Bucks vs FTR has lost a lot of juice for me, hopefully the post-match attack makes the Bucks lean more back towards babyfaces, but we'll see.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

The musical number was a little too sports entertainment and not really what I consider wrestling. I don't mind things like Rock's concert which was a very pro wrestling segment but this felt like something out of a Brian and Stewie episode of Family Guy. The song was fine, I just don't want to see it when I'm watching wrestling. Then again, I'm a fan of Kazuki Hirata and his Magnum Tokyo gimmick so maybe I'm a hypocrite.

The tournament matches were all good. Jungle Boy be Wardlow started it all off strongly enough. The Kenny Omega vs Sonny Kiss match was short and sweet. The best thing about it was that absurd entrance. Justin Roberts mentioning Omega's five star ratings was pretty funny, and I hate that meta talk usually. Plus, the loooong intro with the the two dancing women who were sleeping was just a hoot. Fenix vs Pentagon started off well then it turned into a big mess after Fenix landed on his head. Loved their chop exchange though. Page vs Cabana was pretty forgettable. The weakest match of the four.

John Silver is hilarious. His promo made me think of the coke infused shouty promos the WWF used to have in the 80s.

Status
      Country                    United States

I definitely dug the MJF/Jericho segment, as I pretty much knew I would. I do like some things AEW does where they go beyond the realm of what's normal in pro wrestling to produce some entertaining skits.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

I was all for the musical, I was entertained. And MJF is a better singer than the guy who sings in a band...

What I didn’t like was another example of Jericomedy just being him copying something he’s seen on TV before with the competing steak orders.

Having said that, didn’t Family Guy also parody that same song?

You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The musical number was a little too sports entertainment and not really what I consider wrestling. I don't mind things like Rock's concert which was a very pro wrestling segment but this felt like something out of a Brian and Stewie episode of Family Guy. The song was fine, I just don't want to see it when I'm watching wrestling. Then again, I'm a fan of Kazuki Hirata and his Magnum Tokyo gimmick so maybe I'm a hypocrite.
    I can almost buy the segment as being a realistic segment. Jericho and MJF are egotistical asshats who have no problem with lying or conning people to get what they want. They're obsessed with their touts of being rating draws. Does it seem entirely unrealistic that the two came together and conjured up a planned idea to present as spontaneous? Down to weeks of rehearsal with both being catty with the other over who is the star of the performance, the background dancers being screwed out of their pay, and then completely bragging about how their "Totally normal and inconsequential quiet dinner" was a ratings smash? Absolutely.

Unlike the Firefly Funhouse Match, I can buy into both men's willingness to run this segment out of their petty need to be rating draws and everything shown was technically realistic when you look at it as a production that was terribly well thought up and planned by Jericho and MJF while they acted as if it wasn't.

Status
      Country                    United States

Yeah I think Jim covered the "logic" side of things. I was going to mention that as well but didn't have the time. You can easily imagine Jericho and MJF planning out this whole skit just to pretend it was spontaneous and they're that good.

Status

I really liked the Family Guy vibes I got from it, I think they nailed it. I think the obsession with realism goes too far sometimes and that this was comedy done right. I think that the biggest problem with modern day WWE video games is the over-emphasis on realism too. I'm playing a pro-wrestling video game, do I want realism or do I want to be able to F5 people off a scaffold onto a car? Anywho, I was totally sports entertained.

Established Veteran

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

I am still unsure if I enjoyed the MJF-Y2J segment. I love Jericho and I don't hate MJF and the idea was good. I just wish they'd gone whole-hog with it after the curtains came back, with more than just three girls doing a two-step dance-routine (seemingly the same non-routine as the other two girls were doing for Kenny's entrance). I wanted dozens of dancers, jugglers, trapeze artists, elephants. Just seemed a bit tepid and lame with so little pomp.

I was not at all interested in watching an eight to twelve minute Sonny Kiss match with his poor Eddie Gordo bullshit (or eight to ten mins of JR misusing pronouns) so that finish was surprising (usually these types of matches are far too even on Dynamite) and relieving. Hopefully this is Kenny's time and he gets a run at the belt. I wouldn't mind seeing a Hangman-Kenny draw in the final and a triple threat after Full Gear, too.

Can never really make my mind up about Eddie's promo style. I like the things that he says but at times he's a bit too frantic and unfocused. He's also not that believable for me as a street thug. He wouldn't look out of place at a family bbq or some shit. The I Quit match at Full Gear should be good, though, very excited about that.

Highlights of the show match-wise were Penta v Fenix and to a lesser extent the four-way tag. Good show. Looking forward to next week.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan View Post
    I am still unsure if I enjoyed the MJF-Y2J segment. I love Jericho and I don't hate MJF and the idea was good. I just wish they'd gone whole-hog with it after the curtains came back, with more than just three girls doing a two-step dance-routine (seemingly the same non-routine as the other two girls were doing for Kenny's entrance). I wanted dozens of dancers, jugglers, trapeze artists, elephants. Just seemed a bit tepid and lame with so little pomp.
    Maybe in a non-COVID timeline we'd have gotten this tbh

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

I think that’s a good point about the dancers though, it was noticeable that two of them were already seen earlier in Omega’s entrance (which I think could’ve used some better explaining on commentary for those less familiar with his Cleaner character) doing a similar routine, when they probably could’ve gotten away with that on separate episodes.

Also, it’s come up here before that JR misgenders Sonny Kiss, but Kiss has said he’s fluid and fine with he/she/they.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I can almost buy the segment as being a realistic segment. Jericho and MJF are egotistical asshats who have no problem with lying or conning people to get what they want. They're obsessed with their touts of being rating draws. Does it seem entirely unrealistic that the two came together and conjured up a planned idea to present as spontaneous? Down to weeks of rehearsal with both being catty with the other over who is the star of the performance, the background dancers being screwed out of their pay, and then completely bragging about how their "Totally normal and inconsequential quiet dinner" was a ratings smash? Absolutely.
    Well unfortunately for this line of thinking, Dynamite lost viewers in that quarter hour that they had their musical number so that blew up in their faces.

I thought the segment was fine, but more worryingly continues the poor booking of MJF this year. First the campaign nonsense, and now doing comedy stuff as Jericho's sidekick after losing his first world title match?

All About That Ace

Status

I missed this show live because of gaming reasons but caught it after work yesterday.

It was a really fun show with virtually no misses, granted I skipped on the main event. I heard about what happened to Alex Reynolds and had no interest in watching that, pretty grateful I chose this week to not watch it live.

MJF/Jericho was super fun and brought me back to the sort of segments I still watch from the AE every now & then. It reminded me why wrestling stands apart as its own unique reality show in so many ways.

Moxley/Kingston I am PEAK hype for. I adore listening to Eddie Kingston, absolutely love everything about him. Unfortunately, I have a habit of getting attached to guys I dont see winning titles It's going to be sad to see him quit against Mox.

Silver <3

JJ & Wardlow was fun! Page/Cabana was fun! Cool to see Cabana actually try. Fenix vs. Penta was fun! They need to stop using the armbreaker the way they are. You have to options A) make it actually injure people and sideline them for weeks. B) dont say it breaks arms. Stop living on the fence. You're just making shit seem dumb.

I really wanna see Omega/Cody embroiled in a 50 year long feud so I dont have to see anybody else losing to them. This teasing heel turn phase for both is aggravating me because I enjoy neither as characters and they're taking advantage of being Faces with Mega Egos which isn't something Im really interested in watching. That said, if someone ends up going over either of them, at least it'll be extremely fun. But I know there's a lot of Brodie Lee's on the path to getting to see these two get one upped, if ever.

Weekly appeal for AEW to run some womens storyline. Monroe vs. Baker worked for me. Just do the same thing with other members of the roster.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

I skimmed the main event so had no idea about the Reynolds stuff. Poor show by a lot of people, especially Rick Knox. The leg drop appeared fine, but the giveaway was clearly his arm sticking up and that if he was selling he’d be making an effort to get out of the way of the action. He was stone cold and it seemed only Butcher and Blade recognised that. I dunno what the quickest safe way is of getting Reynolds out while the match continues, but I’m sure it’s not Blade dragging him by the arm.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Oh yeah what happened with Alex Reynolds was awful. Everyone in the ring are experienced enough to have at least checked on Reynolds instead of half dragging him into the corner so they could do their spots.

Fenix got injured early in his match as well but they continued on, somehow. AEW should probably fix their protocol regarding injuries and clear knocks because there has more than a few incidents like this now. Like the Matt Hardy v Guevara match at All In
    Last edited by MC 16; 10-23-2020 at 10:34 AM.

[Merry Xmas WC]

Status

Thought the show flew by, so two thumbs from me (apart from the piss poor management of the Alex Reynolds situation).

Liked all the tournament matches for varying reasons, felt they did a good job of doing something different with each one.

I liked the Jericho/MJF segment. It was goofy, unique and continues to show the creative genius of Chris Jericho. I don't see any harm in MJF working an angle like this whilst learning a few things from Jericho.

All the Mox/Eddie stuff was hot fire.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

AEW's such a mess for me.

The shit Jericho is doing thesedays is just abysmal. Miro is nonsense. OC was fine in a low card way, but he's so out of place in such a prominent position. As much as I dislike how WWE does things and how out of touch Vince is, at a certain point you have to shoot down some of the ideas the Wrestlers put forth.

They continually mishandle serious injuries, Reynolds just being ignored by all the wrestlers, refs, doctors at ringside while he lay there unconscious for an uncomfortable amount of time was so bad. Did they learn nothing from that Matt Hardy incident? And now apparently Abadon was seriously injured as well.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    AEW's such a mess for me.

The shit Jericho is doing thesedays is just abysmal. Miro is nonsense. OC was fine in a low card way, but he's so out of place in such a prominent position. As much as I dislike how WWE does things and how out of touch Vince is, at a certain point you have to shoot down some of the ideas the Wrestlers put forth.

They continually mishandle serious injuries, Reynolds just being ignored by all the wrestlers, refs, doctors at ringside while he lay there unconscious for an uncomfortable amount of time was so bad. Did they learn nothing from that Matt Hardy incident? And now apparently Abadon was seriously injured as well.
    This "y'all have to shoot down wrestler ideas" statement is so silly because people are acting like these things are universally hated instead of it just being that it's not to your specific tastes meanwhile plenty of people actually do enjoy it so why would AEW shoot down those ideas? You're basically saying "AEW has to know what I personally like/dont like ahead of time so they can kill those ideas at birth." Which is such a weird take

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information