Thread: WWE Fatal 4-Way 2010 Review

Fatal 4-Way WWE Fatal 4-Way 2010 Review

Fatal 4-Way
    June 20, 2010

Ah, WWE 2010. The year in which the company had the brilliant idea to rebrand their PPVs with new monthly gimmick PPVs to replace the non-Big Four PPVs.

Kofi Kingston © vs Drew McIntyre - WWE IC Title
    A rematch from last month’s Over the Limit where Kingston won the title from McIntyre. Smackdown GM, Teddy Long, is sitting at ringside because...reasons. The majority of the match was pretty good with Kingston firing off kicks in the early going and connecting with a suicide dive. McIntyre took over by clipping at the leg of Kofi and then focusing nearly the rest of the match by working over the left arm. It took time for the story to connect with me, but they eventually got there. That’s when the match is killed with it’s awful booking. There’s a simple ref bump with Charles Robinson being knocked out cold for over five minutes. McIntyre has the match won with the Futureshock DDT, but he can’t get the count. McIntyre then forced Long into the ring, where McIntyre pulled off Robinson’s shirt and ordered Long to put it on. Why is Long being McIntyre’s submissive bitch when he’s supposed to be the Smackdown GM? McIntyre covers, but Long stops counting after two. Rather than bailing, Long oddly decides to just remain on his knees, begging for forgiveness. McIntyre threatens Long to count for real this time, but that’s when the suspended Matt Hardy runs out and delivers a Twist of Fate. Kofi gets back to his feet to hit Trouble in Paradise with Long counting for real to retain the title. During all of this, Robinson is still lying on the mat, shirtless and unconscious. Lucky him for being able to miss that disaster. ** ¼

Eve Torres © vs Maryse vs Gail Kim vs Alicia Fox - WWE Divas Title
    The first of three fatal four-ways. This sucked. Like...really, really sucked, even by Divas standards. There isn’t any story, just random spots where a Diva will go for a pin or a submission hold to quickly be broken up by another. Gail Kim was the sole bright spot in the match, but how is she supposed to carry these three talentless hacks? I’m put out of my misery when Eve gave Maryse a moonsault, but Alicia tossed Eve out to steal the victory to become the NEW WWE Divas Champion. I honestly don’t know why the WWE re-signed Gail Kim and then proceeded to not do anything with her. ¼ *

Chris Jericho vs Evan Bourne
    A rematch from the go home edition of Raw where Bourne won by DQ. This match felt like a throwback to the early 90s when an established star like Ric Flair, Ted DiBiase, or Mr. Perfect would battle a tag team wrestler, whether Shawn Michaels or Bret Hart, and really go out of their way to make the lesser star feel like they’re worthy of being in an important match. Bourne held in there, but with both men countering the other’s moves, Bourne would sometimes find his attempts at high flying countered by something as simple as Jericho just shoving him off the apron. Yet, Bourne continued to impress by escaping the Walls of Jericho and getting a boot on the bottom rope to break up a cover following the Codebreaker. Every time it seemed as if it’d be over, Bourne refused to stay down. The more nearfalls we saw from Bourne, the more the fans got into it with the commentators hyping up the idea that we may see a huge upset. To everyone’s surprise, Bourne managed to connect with his second attempt of Air Bourne to pull off one of the biggest victories of his career. While the commentators do a swell job of hyping this up as a major victory for Bourne, some of the impact here is lost on the fact that Jericho would get his win back the next night on Raw, this mini-push for Bourne was just a means of hyping next month’s MITB, and Bourne would be depushed back into firm lowcarder status shortly afterward. So did this match truly matter? Not really, but it was a hell of an experience in the moment. A standout match from WWE’s 2010. It’s just a shame that it didn’t result in the establishment of a new star like the commentators acted like it was. *** ½

Jack Swagger © vs Rey Mysterio vs CM Punk vs The Big Show - World Heavyweight Title
    Smackdown held a series of qualifying matches to advance to Fatal 4-Way 2010. The masked CM Punk defeated Kane, The Undertaker defeated Mysterio, and Show advanced from beating Swagger via DQ at Over the Limit. That’s when the WWE injected some WrestleCrap into the build with the announcement that Kane had found Undertaker in a vegativative state. Taker would be pulled from the match, Mysterio would earn his way in by winning a battle royal, and Kane set out to find the identity of the person(s) responsible for his big brother’s...vegatitvie state. Most of this match is actually quite enjoyable. The Big Show is so entertaining in these sort of multi-men matches where he’s able to just manhandle everyone while a story can be created with the others having to join forces in counteracting Show’s domination. There’s still plenty of action between Punk and Mysterio to play off their recently ended program. All of the good work shown in the match was undercutted by the Sports Entertainment finish with Kane coming out with a casket, set to decide who is the likely party behind Undertaker’s destruction. Kane ended up picking Punk, trying to stuff him into the casket until Luke Gallows made the save for his Straight Edge Society leader. That prompted Punk to rush to the back with Kane in hot pursuit. Meanwhile, Swagger stumbled into the ropes to just allow Mysterio to hit a 619 and a springboard press to become the NEW World Heavyweight Champion out of nowhere. Literally, all that happened following the Kane angle was a 619 and splash. The pop wasn’t as high as you’d expect, likely because no one in their right mind saw that as the finish since it was such a nothing spot. If nothing else, the match needed Swagger to pose and wait for Mysterio to reach his feet with Swagger teasing hitting a Doctor Bomb or whatever he was using as a finisher at that point with Mysterio countering by sending Swagger into the ropes to set up the 619 and splash. Instead, they went about it in the laziest of ways that was counterproductive to generating as loud of a reaction as possible. The good news is that Swagger’s lame WHT reign is now finished. Fun match until the finish. ***

The Miz © vs R-Truth - WWE US Title
    It was on the go home edition of Raw that saw a fatal four-way match with Truth defending the US Title against Zack Ryder, The Miz, and John Morrison. After Morrison seemingly had the match won with Starship Pain, Miz ran in to steal the victory to regain the US Title. Now, on a PPV called Fatal 4-Way, we’re getting a singles match. Okay then. In theory, this is a match that had an interesting story as Miz quickly targeted the ribs of Truth, but the match never ends up connecting with the fans. The crowd is so silent that when there’s a period of time when there was generic crowd noise, I began to suspect that it was just crowd sweetening because there wasn’t a single crowd in the camera shot that was reacting to anything. The fact that Truth is doing such a poor job at trying to sell his midsection isn’t helping matters either. Most astounding is the fact that the match was given over thirteen minutes, longer than both Jericho/Bourne and the WHT Fatal Four-Way! Most of Truth’s offense was built around surprising Miz with roll-ups to tease the sudden victory. It was one such roll-up that ended up being countered with Miz sitting down to score the pinfall for the flat finish. These two may have gone out there with an objective, but it failed and it failed hard. Man, the summer of 2010 was brutal for the US Title. ¾ *

The Hart Dynasty vs The Usos and Tamina
    The Usos and Tamina recently made their TV debuts by attacking Smith, Kidd, and Natayla on an episode of Raw. Since then, The Usos made their in ring debut by defeating Goldust and Mark Henry on the go home edition of Superstars. In preparation for the move to the main roster, The Usos had dropped the FCW Tag Titles to Los Aviadores (The masked Hunico and Epico). It’d be nice if the WWE Network were to get around to uploading some FCW. At this point, the fans don’t have any reason to care about The Usos, but this ended up being pretty solid stuff. Jimmy showed some aggression and hit the move of the match as Kidd attempted to hit a DDT off the apron, but Jimmy countered it into a Samoan Drop into the barricade to kick off the face-in-peril sequence. If you’d like to play a drinking game that will leave you absolutely blasted, take a shot every time the commentators mention Rikishi, Jimmy Snuka, or Jim Neidhart in relation to The Uso, Tamina, and Nattie. It seemed like we were told that Tamina was Snuka’s daughter at least three separate times. Eventually, Kidd scored the hot tag to Natayla to force Tamina in. That kicked off a hot finishing stretch with Kidd busting out a springboard senton on both standing Usos. Meanwhile, Natayla avoided a Tamina Superfly Splash to put Tamina away with a random Discus Lariat for the three count. Considering next month’s Money in the Bank will feature The Usos challenging The Hart Dynasty for the WWE Tag Titles, I’m not sure why they had to lose here. Although The Usos would end up becoming one of the most successful tag teams in modern WWE history, if not all of WWE history, I am surprised that they managed to avoid being released in those first three and a half years of not doing anything of value. Watching this match, you wouldn’t believe that The Usos would still be employed a decade later with Jey set to challenge for a World Title on the next PPV. ** ¼

John Cena © vs Edge vs Sheamus vs Randy Orton - WWE World Title
    Not counting the recently departed Batista (As in leaving the company, not like...dead), all four men are the last to have held the WWE Title. With already two fatal four-way matches on the show, it was going to be interesting to see what these four would do to try and make this one stand out. As it turns out, their idea was to simply have the dullest match they could have. One way they went about this is to severely limit the amount of spots with more than two wrestlers. It becomes frustrating how often a wrestler will roll out of the ring to signal that we won’t be getting multi-men spots. We got a double draping DDT from Orton, but that’s basically it. Another method to ensure that this match would be dull was to keep all of the action inside of the ring. Remember all of those Attitude Era inspired four-ways where they were just total brawls all over the place? You’re not getting any of that. Literally, the only time the action went to the outside was to set-up the finish with Sheamus being thrown over the commentator’s table and Edge spearing Orton against the barricade. That set-up the overbooked finish with Nexus (After attacking The Hart Dynasty, R-Truth, and Evan Bourne awkwardly watching on a monitor backstage) coming out to attack Cena. Cena is able to initially take care of them, but the numbers eventually overwhelm him as Cena is pummeled into the mat until Edge pulls a member of Nexus out of the ring to trigger the rest of Nexus to jump out of the ring to jump Edge. Meanwhile, Sheamus, who had a bit of a story revolving around him attempting to be an opportunist, saw his chance to slide into the ring and cover Cena to become the NEW WWE Champion before bailing to escape Nexus’ wrath. As terrible as the finish was in the WHT match, the WWE Title match not only copied it, but somehow made it worse! Now the champion isn’t even being hit with a move by the man winning the match? Cena hadn’t even been hit with any big moves by Nexus. This match couldn’t have been any lazier. For a guy who was given such a big push in his rookie year, Sheamus’ two title wins did nothing to help him. **

After the match, Nexus turned their attention back towards Cena. Cena would end up sustaining a Superman Punch (Tarver), Meat Hook (Sheffield), Wasteland (Barrett), and the 450 Splash (Gabriel). As footage is shown of Cena, Edge, and Orton (Not by Nexus’ hands), all laid out, the PPV goes off the air with the crowd showing respect for the star that they care about. A “Daniel Bryan” chant can be heard in support for the recently fired star.

Overall
    Around 2009-2010, the WWE thought that they could increase PPV interest by transforming their B PPVs into gimmick PPVs. On paper, it made sense as the Royal Rumble, a gimmick PPV, has remained one of the most successful annual PPVs. Yet, creating an entire PPV around fatal four-way matches sounded stupid on paper and it ended up bombing. Up to this point in time, it was the single lowest bought PPV, in an one PPV in a month span, since Wrestlemania 14. I don’t know what the WWE was thinking because there’s never been any indications that fatal four-ways were a draw. In execution, this gimmick PPV idea felt half assed. They ran the same finish in both of the men’s fatal four-ways. The rest of the show felt thrown together, including the MOTN of Chris Jericho vs Evan Bourne not being announced ahead of time. Considering how dead the US Title was for most of 2010, I don’t see much of a logic in running the fatal four-way on Raw and then coming back with a regular singles match on the PPV. I suppose the PPV has a tiny bit of significance for being the PPV debut of The Usos, but it would be so long before that they’d mean anything that it hardly seems like an important bit of trivia.

Main Eventer

Status

Re: WWE Fatal 4-Way 2010 Review

Remember when people complained about TNA doing gimmick ppvs...good times...

The Jericho vs Bourne match is really great though
    NHL 94 is the best Hockey game of all time

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Remember when people complained about TNA doing gimmick ppvs...good times...
    I think it's a bit of a different thing. In theory, Lockdown has always been a stupid idea, but people love cage matches. TNA made it work though as they went all in and framed the entire PPV around it being a night of cage matches. Most of the hate for TNA and gimmick matches stemmed from each PPV during the Russo years having multiple gimmick matches to the point where they didn't mean anything. Dixie Carter showed how little she understood when she appeared on one of the Kayfabe Commentaries with a live Q&A and she couldn't understand why someone asking her a question would want less gimmick matches. With the exception of Lockdown, you had all of these PPVs that didn't properly market a gimmick that's featured on the show and it's not as if a name like 'Sacrifice' or 'Turning Point' is a draw in name alone.

WWE tried handling this with more logic though. By the end of the 2000s, their PPV buyrates had been on a steady decline for years and unless you're one of the three biggest PPVs (Rumble, WM, and Summeslam) the only way to truly pop a buyrate was to book a big gimmick match like an Elimination Chamber match. So I get the logic of recognizing that if an Elimination Chamber match or Hell in a Cell match typically brings in a solid buyrate, why not build an entire annual PPV around that draw? At the same time, it lessens the draw of those gimmicks by running them so consistently, if they're annual there's times when a new feud is forced to be a gimmick match because it's that time of the year, and in trying to fill up the entire year you're forced to attempt to use lame gimmicks like fatal four-ways.

It's all kind of a mess, but a mess created because wrestling companies have been waiting on a new boom period that just has never come.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

I actually thought Fatal Four Way match concept could been good im a fan of fatal four ways too
    ​Sazh Katzroy Father, Friend, Hero

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I actually thought Fatal Four Way match concept could been good im a fan of fatal four ways too
    I wouldn't say I like or dislike four-ways, whether fatal four-way or elimination matches. It's not as if there's been a great history surrounding four-ways with the standouts just being Summerslam 2017 and Spring Stampede 1999. For whatever reason, triple threats or three-way dances have had a greater volume of quality matches.

That being said, I wouldn't want a PPV built around the gimmick of a triple threat, let alone a fatal four-way. It's not a PPV, but ECW's Three Way Dance 1995 stood out not because it was a three-way dance in the main event, but rather a long build between three teams and the fact that there had never been a three-way tag match before.

Main Eventer

Status

I feel the same way about MITB , Elimination Chamber, HITC ppvs. Theres nothing special about any of them

Imagine a best 2/3 falls ppv lol.
    NHL 94 is the best Hockey game of all time

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I feel the same way about MITB , Elimination Chamber, HITC ppvs. Theres nothing special about any of them
    I'm willing to agree that HIAC doesn't have much importance, but at various points EC and MITB have felt like the fourth biggest PPV of the year.

what you've done to me

Status

i like fatal four way matches, and multi man matches as a whole quite a bit, but wwe can be really lazy about them, and they were especially so around this time, so building a ppv around them was never gonna work. doesn't help that just calling it, "Fatal Four Way", is about as unexciting as it can get, like hell in a cell, ec, and mitbs, were already once year or bi yearly matches, but fatal four ways happen all the time on TV, it's such a lame name for a ppv lol.

also honestly i never got the complaint for mitb and ec being their own ppv's, they weren't always feud specific like hitc was, and i think mitb works way better as it's own ppv instead of at mania.

i am a trans teenager who happens to get very into wrestling every 2 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    i like fatal four way matches, and multi man matches as a whole quite a bit, but wwe can be really lazy about them, and they were especially so around this time, so building a ppv around them was never gonna work. doesn't help that just calling it, "Fatal Four Way", is about as unexciting as it can get, like hell in a cell, ec, and mitbs, were already once year or bi yearly matches, but fatal four ways happen all the time on TV, it's such a lame name for a ppv lol.
    I do think a bigger gimmick name for the fatal 4-way could have helped things. Similarly to his six-ways are called "Six pack challenges" in the WWE, if you have an interesting enough name, it can take away the unimportance of a match gimmick thanks to the name. Look at how many different names there are for hardcore matches, each designed just to sound interesting on paper. Perhaps a show like Fatal 4-Way would have worked better had it just been Championship Scramble matches instead. Sure, those matches were never much of a draw, but there was at least a gimmick attached to them unlike four-ways.

also honestly i never got the complaint for mitb and ec being their own ppv's, they weren't always feud specific like hitc was, and i think mitb works way better as it's own ppv instead of at mania.
    I agree that Elimination Chamber and Money in the Bank works well as their own PPVs. Considering the fact that you don't even need existing feuds going into Money in the Bank, it's an easy way to draw attention to a PPV without putting in much effort. That being said, MITB was such a great match for Wrestlemania since it used a bunch of guys and it felt way bigger than the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royale. Elimination Chamber works similarly, but I do think it works better if you put in the effort to build towards such a match. HIAC works in that HIAC is one of the few gimmicks that is a draw for the WWE, but such a match is relies so much on the program its attached to, so when the feud doesn't have a reason to be forced into the HIAC, it weakens the significance of the HIAC. In an ideal world, WWE would pencil in the HIAC matches many months in advance to make them logical.

Wrestling Goddest

Status
      Country                    United States

I honestly don’t know why the WWE re-signed Gail Kim and then proceeded to not do anything with her.
    Obviously to keep her away from TNA much like half of the stars WWE signs today.

As far as the idea of the gimmick PPVs goes, it's not just the gimmick itself but also how the matches are built up (hype, rivalries, etc.) as well as how they are executed. That being said I did have an idea for a gimmick PPV. I call it "Last Man Standing". All matches that cannot be won by a quick pinfall or climbing a ladder, you have to really earn the win. Matches include Last Man Standing, "I Quit", Best 2 of 3 Falls, Gauntlet, Iron Man, and Elimination Match.
    From Cincinnati, comes the most stylish, elegant, bewitching, continuously charismatic, and fantastically fascinating woman to appear in this or any arena. Allow yourself to be seduced, enchanted, dazzled, and entranced by the all pink everything herself...BattleKat

Thread Information