Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Season - For as long as such a thing can last

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2020 NFL Season - For as long as such a thing can last

Most players tend to look a lot better when they leave Adam Gase. I think wherever he lands, it'll be better for both him and that team (assuming it's not another bottom dwelling team with no O-Line...Giants, looking at you).

Backyarder

Status

Speaking of takes on young QBs, did anyone expect Justin Herbert to be this good?

Coming out of college, I surely thought he'd be a bust but I never expected him to come out slinging the way he has. I'm really impressed with that dude.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    I could see a team like Washington or Chicago giving him a look. Possibly the Colts or Texans too

The way our backfield looks atm (Taylor looks good but he's still raw as hell), and the way Philip's ramen noodle arm has held up through a quarter of the season, Le'Veon would be an exceptional move from our front office. Fully expect him to wind up with NE or PIT though.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TakeReigns View Post
    Speaking of takes on young QBs, did anyone expect Justin Herbert to be this good?

Coming out of college, I surely thought he'd be a bust but I never expected him to come out slinging the way he has. I'm really impressed with that dude.
    I thought he came into the best situation to be successful immediately. A running game, top wide receivers, a solid offensive line, and most importantly a stout defense. The Chargers were the most complete team in comparison to Cincinnati and Miami where Burrow and Tua went respectively.

It really depends where you end up. If he lands on a team like the Jets, we're not talking about Herbert.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Finishline View Post
    I thought he came into the best situation to be successful immediately. A running game, top wide receivers, a solid offensive line, and most importantly a stout defense. The Chargers were the most complete team in comparison to Cincinnati and Miami where Burrow and Tua went respectively.

It really depends where you end up. If he lands on a team like the Jets, we're not talking about Herbert.

I agree with you to an extent. Yeah, he was put into a better situation than Joe and Tua because the Chargers are a better team, but the way the Chargers are playing right now, how MUCH better is his situation really?

The Dolphins have looked better than the Chargers this year but no one is saying that Fitzmagic is playing better than Herbert. Herbert's line is putrid, the play calling has been so/so, the defense can't stop a nosebleed and he's shining. He just seems like he's made of the right stuff.

Even on arguably the second or third worst team in the league, you can tell Joe Burrow belongs. I get the same feeling watching Herbert play.
    Last edited by TakeReigns; 10-14-2020 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention how piss poor the Chargers defense has been too

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    I could see a team like Washington or Chicago giving him a look. Possibly the Colts or Texans too
    I can see Belichick scooping him up he seems to have a knack for restoring older players past their prime back to their former glory and milking every last bit of talent he can out of them. He's done it with so many, Cam Newton of recent example. Plus it'd give Bell a chance to stick it to both Steelers and Jets fans because those two teams despise New England more than almost anyone (although I'm sure Bills and Dolphins fans are in there).

On the other hand, I could totally see the Steelers giving him an offer. He had a lot of success in Pittsburgh and he may think that's his best chance to continue that. Pittsburgh has a lot of depth at running back but not a stand out star. I'm sure Bdll would be an upgrade over Conner, especially in the receiving game.

I can also see the Bills go after him. I hope not because I'm a huge fan of Singletary, but he's been disappointing this season for sure. Bell could probably give them a lot of depth. Bears are a solid shout.

I don't see the point in Washington signing him. Gibson looks really good, and that team isn't contending anyway. Bell won't be signing anything long term, probably a one year prove it deal, so why ruin the development of Gibson and spend money on Bell when you're not going to contend anyway?

KC would've been a great landing spot a year ago, or even back in August, but I don't think they need him either. Baltimore actually could probably really utilize Bell well. I'd hate to see him in that offense, but similar to Washington they have JK Dobbins who looks good. However unlike Washington, Baltimore is a contender so it could be worth it.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I cannot see Baltimore for him. With Dobbins, Ingram and Edwards, we're set for running backs without having to spend more. Think there's other places that need improvement in the team.

New England seems like a good shout of all the ones that have been speculated.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I cannot see Baltimore for him. With Dobbins, Ingram and Edwards, we're set for running backs without having to spend more. Think there's other places that need improvement in the team.

New England seems like a good shout of all the ones that have been speculated.

I forgot y'all had Ingram. Yeah, you guys are set for sure. Browns and Bengals both really don't need a running back either, so if any team in the AFC North goes after him it'd be the Steelers, and even at that with that I think they're comfortable with Conner, McFarland, and Snell for the moment.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Bell should go to Las Vegas with Gruden just like his old buddy AB did.

Cardcaptor

Status

Bell goes to the Chiefs.

Anyway, for Herbert...Yeah, I did think he'd be great. This great? That was hard to imagine he'd click that fast at the NFL level. He is actually being pressured more and getting the ball out faster than Burrow, while showing significantly better awareness and putting up better numbers. Even as high as I was on him, he's blowing me away.

I was super high on him, and said for the last two years he should be the #1 pick when he goes. That he would be the most NFL ready, and he doesn't have the injury issues Tua has.
    Everything will surely be alright.

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Bell goes to the Chiefs.

Anyway, for Herbert...Yeah, I did think he'd be great. This great? That was hard to imagine he'd click that fast at the NFL level. He is actually being pressured more and getting the ball out faster than Burrow, while showing significantly better awareness and putting up better numbers. Even as high as I was on him, he's blowing me away.

I was super high on him, and said for the last two years he should be the #1 pick when he goes. That he would be the most NFL ready, and he doesn't have the injury issues Tua has.
    I'm not sure what you're boasting about in regards to a rookie clicking fast in the NFL. I feel more often than not, most high end rookies DO click very fast at the NFL level. Specifically Quarterbacks. We saw it with SO many QB busts, who had flash in the pan moments their first few games as rookies, only to get exposed later on once more tape was made available. Of recent memory, Baker Mayfield. Most dudes who end up being busts had good rookie years.

The litmus test for new QBs is always Sophomore year.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status
      Country                    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
    I'm not sure what you're boasting about in regards to a rookie clicking fast in the NFL. I feel more often than not, most high end rookies DO click very fast at the NFL level. Specifically Quarterbacks. We saw it with SO many QB busts, who had flash in the pan moments their first few games as rookies, only to get exposed later on once more tape was made available. Of recent memory, Baker Mayfield. Most dudes who end up being busts had good rookie years.

The litmus test for new QBs is always Sophomore year.
    I don't think Baker Mayfield is necessarily as bad as a lot of people put him out to be. I think he just didn't have the right coach or set-up in Cleveland.

It's Spooooky Time

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Cornette View Post
    I don't think Baker Mayfield is necessarily as bad as a lot of people put him out to be. I think he just didn't have the right coach or set-up in Cleveland.
    No I totally agree. I think he got overrated after his first year though, but definitely underrated after his second year. Freddie Kitchens was a terrible terrible coach, and not good for Baker. I think Mayfield definitely is solid as a player. But point remains he looked his best so far when he started in the middle of the season, and teams didn't have tape. As most rookie QBs do.

My point is it's a bit premature to hype up about Justin Herbert whenever he's still very much a rookie. It's better that he's not going in there as a rookie and stinking up the joint, but a lot of rookies have looked good in their first few games. And for what it's worth I still like Burrow and Tua better than him long term.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status

No I totally agree. I think he got overrated after his first year though, but definitely underrated after his second year. Freddie Kitchens was a terrible terrible coach, and not good for Baker. I think Mayfield definitely is solid as a player. But point remains he looked his best so far when he started in the middle of the season, and teams didn't have tape. As most rookie QBs do.

My point is it's a bit premature to hype up about Justin Herbert whenever he's still very much a rookie. It's better that he's not going in there as a rookie and stinking up the joint, but a lot of rookies have looked good in their first few games. And for what it's worth I still like Burrow and Tua better than him long term.
    I do agree with that sentiment. A bad coach can definitely kill a potentially good QB though.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Bell goes to the Chiefs.

Great call. The Chargers for sure have their guy, now they just need to build that O-Line in front of him and get better in the secondary, this team should be ready to compete in 1-2 years. It's not just the arm, either. He's making the right reads and delivers perfect dimes amidst pressure right in his mouth. I think it was a deep bomb he threw against the Bucs where (Vita Vea?) blasted him and he put a throw right into the bread basket for his receiver 40+ yards down the field.

Dude is special for sure

Backyarder

Status

Something about Herbert seems different though. Because, to your point with Baker, he did look really good but he was also making some boneheaded decisions (that he still makes to this day) that kinda showed us what he was.

I don't think I saw as much promise in Baker as I do in Herbert, and this is from someone who agrees with you and Grim that he's a lot better than given credit for and also from someone that thought Herbert was destined to fail in the league.

Your point is valid, the jury should still be out on Herbert, but man this dude looks special and I don't think it's solely because teams don't have film on him. The dude makes next level type plays.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status

Honestly, we're likely seeing the latest QB Renaissance that hasn't been seen since the days Brees, Manning, Rivers, Brady, and Roth were in their prime.

Just looking at some of these folks: Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, etc.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think we spoke about this a few weeks back, for all QBs it's just as much about where you land. While Baker had a rough year last year, his coaching team was awful. Now Stefanski has them looking like a competent team and Baker looks a lot better. Similarly with Lamar, he doesn't become the player he is without a good organisation and good coach designing the entire game plan around him.

That's why it's hard to know how much to criticise the Sam Darnolds of the world. He landed in probably the worst possible place for a quarter back. You only need to look at Ryan Tannehill to see how much it matters.

Herbert has been impressive. I think its still too early to say anything but him and Burrow have both been very good so far in their run and should be big positives for their organisation. Given how Rivers has started with the Colts, it definitely feels like LA were right to move on.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

The curse of Shock strikes again. Earlier today I mentioned Baker was looking a lot better, but the Steelers are making him look like your classic Browns QB here.

Don't Cry Jennifer

Status

Oh hey, Vikings are losing to the Falcons. Nice.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information