Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NJPW G1 Climax 30: Be The One!

WAKE UP

Status

Re: NJPW G1 Climax 30: Be The One!

didn't care for either ishii vs ospreay or white vs ibushi. the former wasn't bad, but just wasn't particularly exciting either. white's heel schick on the mic felt real hokey and preformative, and if there is one guy in wrestling with a solid track record of not knowing how to sell a knee injury, it's kota ibushi. i stopped watching once the gedo interference started

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

That whole show was awful. Ospreay/Ishii was the best match by far and it was just solid. As bad as Jay & Ibushi was which to me was on the level of Yujiro/Okada, Taichi/Suzuki was even worse. Suzuki has a great match vs. Ishii and then decides to wrestle like a cartoon character here? And Taichi cosplaying Kawada is abysmal.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

YOSHI-HASHI vs. EVIL was way better than it should have been, no surprise nearly 100% because of YH and they actually booked a babyface facing a heel to NOT just lay down and take it and actually had no problem using a weapon and not looking like an idiot?He showed mega fire and had an edge to him? YH HAD AN EDGE??? What planet did that match come from?

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

YH's always good for this sort of stuff and the crowd eat that shit up all the time. A good performance against EVIL but ultimately a losing one which I'm not sure will affect perspective more. It'd help if EVIL wasn't a relative dud. Decent stuff. Thinking it can only help given EVIL's recent title run.. maybe.

I really hope Ospreay doesn't win this or is in contention come last day. I'm pretty surprised he went over Ishii though. Match was too long for me but still a solid watch.

Thought Ibushi/White was pretty damn good minus Ibushi's selling when it came to some big moments.

Really interested to see how Okada/White plays out. The last two days of the tournament have been pretty decent viewing minus Yujiro.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status
      Country                    England

Catching up on day 3, which is so hard given this dead crowd. I enjoyed Ospreay/Ishii without thinking it was a match you can put in that great category. Couldn't really get into the story of Ospreay trying to be as tough as Ishii. Thought Suzuki/Taichi was shit, not sure why I watched that. Dare I watch Jay/Ibushi?

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Ospreay's facing Okada on the last day, I would say there's a strong chance he's playing a pretty big role in this tournament for better or worse.

Ishii/Ospreay was ok, definitely the best match on that show.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Catching up on day 3, which is so hard given this dead crowd. I enjoyed Ospreay/Ishii without thinking it was a match you can put in that great category. Couldn't really get into the story of Ospreay trying to be as tough as Ishii. Thought Suzuki/Taichi was shit, not sure why I watched that. Dare I watch Jay/Ibushi?
    Probably not if you don't like most Jay White matches. Plus he works the leg and you know Ibushi's not going to sell it so you can consider that.

-
    I don't see Ospreay being in contention. I think being used as a spoiler for Okada or a tease of a spoiler is what he'll be doing.

Status

I thought they toned down the bullshit enough in the White/Ibushi match and it was largely on Ibushi for not selling his leg after moves like the TTO. Thought he sold the end well tbf. But felt the match had a marked difference to the story told in the Shingo/White match. White doing crowd shit was quite funny but he ripped the arse out of it like the dick he is.

Agreed MC, I think Ospreay is being used to tease spoiler. Would be mental if he did spoil Okada though. Can't see it happening.

It'll be Okada or White winning the block. Just curious who wins when they face each other. They're obviously giving Ospreay and White some kind of re-heat momentum boost from the off so I fancy Jay to beat Okada but Okada's gonna need a monster run afterwards.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

In my booking I had Okada and Ospreay go to a draw which would advance Okada over White, put over Ospreay while Ospreay is out, and also tell a decent story going into the final (I originally had Tana but the first two nights are wavering me towards SANADA which let's just pray to God I'm wrong BUT it would tell a story.) White the only real story would be EVIL who we all agree sucks and not only that his first 2 matches might as well be a strong message "he's not a main eventer anymore" to the crowd, plus does the BC breakup bullshit need a title? I had an idea where one could win and the other cost them the briefcase but I think the EVIL experiment was a commercial letdown 3 times against Okada who they believe in, and Naito, who is a big star. I don't see EVIL making the finals at least thank goodness.

Someone said Ospreay is meant to be in the top 5 of the company overall but let's just hope all that's wrong because I don't wanna see that at all. That said, I am more confident than ever in Okada winning this Block based on what we've seen so far, despite his completely ass wrestling that has had to have been endured.

Also I do agree that of the two Ibushi not selling was a bigger problem, and I actually appreciated Jay at least trying to get the crowd into it at the start. Unfortunately he then had to wrestle, which led to the crowd nearly immediately dying when he took over, like in 99% of his matches so Ibushi did stupid shit to try and get them back. Unfortunately it just turned into a super lame match all around.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched Ibushi vs Ishii, Ospreay vs Shingo and Okada vs White and thought they were all bang average. A lot of these guys just look like they're half-assing it and treating this like it's a series of house shows rather than putting in serious Big Match efforts. Tempted to skip watching the rest and just rely on ya'll to throw up what the best matches are.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Naito/Zack was a match that definitely happened. Zack is really someone that the charm has gone from watching, not only has his silence made me not want to support him, he's just so stale in this company.

Ishii/Ibushi was good but nowhere near what they're capable of.

Shingo/Ospreay was alright once they got out of the opening 5 minutes but not a great match by any stretch. I don't want to hear any criticism that Jey Uso and Roman Reigns talk too much in their match, but then have no problem with Will talking throughout his matches with less impressive trash talk. He's taken over the baton of Kenny Omega in being the goofy weird voice gaijin trash talker.

Jay White/Okada was eyes glazing over boring. The story of Kazuchika Okada has forgotten how to win or hit the rainmaker is so bad and NJPW fans are tripping over themselves to argue that Okada purposely having weaker matches means he's an elite worker because 'it fits the storyline'.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Watched Ibushi vs Ishii, Ospreay vs Shingo and Okada vs White and thought they were all bang average. A lot of these guys just look like they're half-assing it and treating this like it's a series of house shows rather than putting in serious Big Match efforts. Tempted to skip watching the rest and just rely on ya'll to throw up what the best matches are.
    I dunno about it being half-assed but there is a definite auto pilot vibe for most of the matches.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

After a few pretty nothing set of shows, the G1 had their best show so far. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Osaka crowd was the hottest of the whole tour either. The main event between Okada and Shingo was excellent. The rest of the show was very good as well. Ospreay vs Taichi seems like the consensus worse match of the show so I guess skip that.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I've tried to catch up a little today, so I was cherry picking from some of the shows in the last week:

Taichi/Ishii - People are really going overboard about Taichi's quality when he tones down the slyness and just wrestles. The only Ishii match I haven't enjoyed so far.

Ibushi/Ospreay - Good match with some pleasant sequences, but there's an elephant in the room here that Ospreay's bulking up has made him sloppier in his high spots. He's not as smooth as he used to be. Nowhere close to their WrestleKingdom match.

Yoshi hashi/Naito - Great stuff, shave off a couple of minutes where Naito was just sitting in taco's submission hold and this would of been 4 stars. Naito really doesn't need to do 20 minutes every match especially when he's so many kayfabe levels above someone like YH. Credit for tacos though, he's really got his working boots on in this block and been one of the MVPs. He seems on a mission to prove that he belongs in this tournament year in year out.

Tanahashi/KENTA - Nice match, not as good as their G1 match last year, but got a kick out of the surprise submission finish.

Ospreay/Suzuki - Better from Ospreay, MiSu beating him up and working on his hidden blade arm was satisfying before the inevitable comeback.

Ibushi/Shingo - GREAT, the one match I've watched today and feels like it's spreadsheet worthy for my end of year run down. Ishii's the G1 MVP, but Shingo's probably the company WOTY.

Almost every match would of been 1/2 star better in the ratings with a normal crowd. IDK what it is, but no crowd or the robotic clapping crowd hurts the product way more than no fans in American companies.

I've been told not to bother cherry picking and to just watch the Saturday G1 show with Okada/Shingo on top, so that'll be my job tomorrow.

WAKE UP

Status

I turned Tanahashi vs KENTA off half way through I was so bored. I wasn't as hot on their match last years as others and this wasn't as good as that.

I'll have to try to catch up on the most talked about stuff this week but feels like the whole tourney has been a dud. I'd agree the lack of crowd noise really hurts.

WAKE UP

Status

Watching some stuff off the more recent shows and I have to ask, is there a more played out trope in wrestling than the your-turn-my-turn/"hit me harder!!" elbow exchange? New Japan loves that more than WWE loves Kendo Sticks. If I never see a New Japan or indy match with that spot, it'll be too soon. Suzuki is especially repetitive, does this motherfucker even know how to wrestle a different match? Makes me wish those Ishii vs Shibata matches never happened.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Watching some stuff off the more recent shows and I have to ask, is there a more played out trope in wrestling than the your-turn-my-turn/"hit me harder!!" elbow exchange? New Japan loves that more than WWE loves Kendo Sticks. If I never see a New Japan or indy match with that spot, it'll be too soon. Suzuki is especially repetitive, does this motherfucker even know how to wrestle a different match? Makes me wish those Ishii vs Shibata matches never happened.
    But Steve, that's what #StrongStyle~! is all about.

Day 13 was indeed the night of the tournament:

Ishii/Cobb - Was alright, but it's been overrated in some circles. One of Ishii's weakest matches of the tournament.

White/Yujiro - Angle, and I guess we're all systems go on the 6th BC leader Vs BC leader feud in NJPW with this Jay White/EVIL tension.

Ospreay/Taichi - Stone the crows, I actually really enjoyed this. Best Taichi match in ages. This really clicked with me and I enjoyed the more serious Taichi in this one.

Suzuki/Ibushi - Great match, best match in the tournament since that opening weekend. There was a little bit of the your turn/my turn strikes about this one so Steve would probably hate it, but I think there was just enough personality coming out of the two guys for this to not be a standard NEVER minute of elbow strikes. The battle to kick Suzuki down to the mat for instance I thought was great.

Okada/Shingo - Well this was somewhat of the anti-Okada match, because I thought everything here was really good OTHER than the finish which was horseshit. The moneyclip neither looks like a good move, or is a believable finisher in this company, and when so much of this match was building up to that bad finisher, I think that's what makes it fall short of MOTYC level. You have to be the biggest blind NJPW fan to be praising this Okada storyline. The idea that Okada is purposely wrestling bad matches in order to work fans is a horrible concept. The idea that he's trying to win wrestling matches without using his old finisher is absurd, especially when Okada willingly uses short arm and spinning versions of the same fucking move in his moveset. They're trying to tell a Okada struggles storyline again in the G1, but just like with red hair balloon Okada, this motherfucker is still going 7-2 in his block and either wins, or just falls at the final hurdle so how the fuck is he struggling? If this guy beats Ospreay and then beats whoever in the final, and he does that using a rainmaker, I'll be blocking twitter accounts on sight that are calling this another masterstroke of storytelling by Gedo.

I also watched Goto/Tanahashi from Sunday, but I didn't think that was anything too impressive.

WAKE UP

Status

I actually quite liked Ishii vs Cobb, maybe the match I've enjoyed most from this G1. Ishii has been playing the underdog for like 10 years now so matches where he;s the guy in charge feel refreshing, and Cobb working from beneath plays to his strengths. Wouldn't go to bat for it but I thought it was good.

I liked some parts of Ibushi vs Suzuki but yeah, didn't do it for me. I just don't buy Minoru Suzuki as this great late-stage veteran worker, especially after having recently watched late stage Tenryu and Kawada he really feels repetitive and one dimensional. I think I also hate the way he does the silly faces when he should be selling, I get that its his persona but it feels more designed to put himself over than his opponent.

I thought Okada vs Shingo was horrifically boring and directionless up until the last 5 minutes which got pretty good. I agree on everything about this Okada storyline and finisher. Didn't they do something similar last year with him having a funk or something? Bizarre to run a similar angle this year.

I also watched Tanahashi vs Goto becuase it went 13 minutes and there was the off chance at something good, but it became clear about 2 minutes in they were just working a house show match.

Status

I suppose the trope's mileage will vary but it's something that continuously seems to get the crowd onside so why wouldn't it be a staple of most matches? I get the significance of it is lowered but, at the end of the day, is it really THAT jarring? Every promotion has their tropes and stuff and I guess it's just a part of the match to me and it's to be expected. Much in the same way I'd expect tropes from similar sports to appear when watching.

I think Suzuki criticism is fair in terms of he gets over moreso than his opponent alot of the time but I do think that whenever he loses in the big matches, it gives his opponent a rub due to how much Suzuki gets himself over as the character he is. Definitely unfair to compare him to Kawada/Tenryu given different time periods and the style being different IMO. I don't think Suzuki is all that great anymore myself (I definitely don't rate him as highly as others) but I do think his personality and aura count for something.

Okada storyline is meh. Not entirely invested in it beyond just being an Okada fan and wanting him to win the G1 so Jay White doesn't. It's looking slim. I've seen the money clip so much now that I just have to assume Okada is desperate to win with it and prove that the move is good or some shit. I always, unfortunately, judge subs by how real they look and I just don't think the move passes the eye test. At a reach, I guess I could understand how someone could be choked out by that move.. but he'd be so much better off just using a rear naked choke I actually just don't know what the fuck they're doing with Okada. Maybe I'm too dumb to read between the lines. I haven't really tried to read interviews etc. Do people genuinely believe Okada is purposefully working bad for a storyline? (Not that I think his work is bad...) Is this a western thing?

If White/EVIL are going to feud then clearly someone's going to go face. I get the feeling it'll be White. I'm not sure on that. White/EVIL final sounds extremely unlikely though because... surely it'd be deflating as fuck to see two bad guys in the final?

Agreed that Ospreay/Taichi was really good and it was mostly down to Taichi. I am not a fan of heavyweight Ospreay in the slightest.

The G in G1 stands for Goto, guys. Remember that.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 10-14-2020 at 05:42 AM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

The G in G1 stands for Gone, Shake.

Suzuki's had a few matches I've loved in this G1, and a few matches that have done nothing for me. He's inconsistent, but I think I'll take that given he's 52 years old and positioned as a lower half block guy and only in the NEVER division for titles.

Probably put Cobb/Ospreay as my MOTN from Day 15, but I didn't think anything on that show was above 3 1/2 stars. Ishii/Okada has previously produced MOTYCs, and I couldn't stand how boring their match was on that show.

Now the tournament is reaching it's end I'm reminded of why I have such a disconnect with this company when the realistic options for the final are Jay White, Okada with his shitty angle and matches, EVIL and SANADA. Any combination of that feels terrible. Not to mention, EVIL already pinned Naito so we've gotta do that title match again later on this year. The seeds have been sown for a White/EVIL final, but as you say Shake I can't see them going through with that because you can't turn White face right now - fans don't care about him anyway. Given Okada;s angle has dominated this G1, my prediction is he'll face SANADA in the final, and win with a rainmaker.
    Last edited by Ed; 10-15-2020 at 04:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information