Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ric Flair and the New Horsemen: The Nature Boy's Last Ride

Don’t make me Chang this

Status
      Country                    UK

Ric Flair and the New Horsemen: The Nature Boy's Last Ride

RIC FLAIR AND THE NEW HORSEMEN: THE NATURE BOY'S LAST RIDE

INTRODUCTION:

Everyone knows who Ric Flair is. Everyone knows that he is one of, if not the, greatest of all time. In a career spanning longer than mine and a lot of others' lifetimes, Flair had achieved just about everything that there was to be achieved. He had wrested around the world, against the very best, and won championships in just about every company that he had wrestled in. His record of sixteen World Championships is touted as one of the greatest achievements completed by anyone that has ever competed in the WWE. However, being the grand competitor that he is, Flair wanted one more... and time was running out.

At Wrestlemania 22, Ric Flair competed in the Money in the Bank ladder match, viewing the guaranteed World Title match at any point in the next twelve months as his ticket to winning his seventeenth World Championship that had eluded him for a number of years. In a very unfamiliar surrounding, Flair held his own until a Suplex from the top of a ladder from Matt Hardy caused 'The Nature Boy' to withdrawn from the match. That would not be the end of Flair's run, however, as he defied doctor's orders and returned to the match, determined to get his hands on the valuable briefcase. Despite this, Flair would be unsuccessful in his mission, and the prize was captured by ladder match expert Rob Van Dam.

This BTB will follow Flair's journey in the final three years of his career, as he looks to win his seventeeth World Chmpionship and at the same time, revive one of wrestling's greatest stables - The Four Horsemen. Not only does Flair revive the group, but it has been argued by some that The New Horsemen incarnation of the group was even more successful than the original group.

Archive:

Ric Flair and The New Horsemen

Chapter One - The Beginning of the End:
    Entry One
    Entry Two
    Entry Three
    Entry Four
    Entry Five

Chapter Two - Crossing the Boss:

Hello everyone. I have been umming and ahhing for a while and trying to decide what my next project was going to be. I was quite settled on a 2004 thread, but I have put that on the backburner for the time being. This is a story that I have wanted to try to tell for a couple of years now, and it spawned from my short-lived 2006 thread. I'm going to be re-booking the final three years of Ric Flair's career, starting from Wrestlemania 22 and ending at Wrestlemania 25 (a slight deviation from real life on his retirement date). The format is going to be that I will post 'Entries' into different 'Chapters' and hopefully at the end of it have a whole story. Flair is of course the central character of the story that I am telling, but it is going to be just as focussed on The New Horsemen as well, as they become critical to Flair's story too once they are introduced. Any other important in-universe events that affect Flair will also be touched on where necessary.

The first Entry of Chapter One will likely drop in the next few days, but until then, I would be interested to get some early predictions on who you guys think will be in the 2007 incarnation of the Four Horsemen? I think that it would be cool to look back at people's guesses once the group has been formed in the thread. There are no prizes for guessing right, though.

I hope that anyone that is kind enough to take the time to read enjoys!
    Last edited by Man; Yesterday at 02:58 PM.

People's Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Ric Flair and the New Horsemen: The Nature Boy's Last Ride

Let's go totally random and go Flair, Lashley as the enforcer and the random tag team combo of Conway and Masters
    I have a plan so cunning......

Respected bookerman

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Sign me up, brother. With the acclaim your Cesaro thread had, I've high expectations for this, and very interested in who forms this final incarnation of the Horsemen.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Ghana

My Horsemen back then would be

Flair (JJ Dillon of the group)
    Edge (Ric Flair of the group)
    Chris Masters (Arn Anderson of the group)
    Cody Rhodes (Tully Blanchard of the group)
    Snitsky (Barry Windham of the group)

Freshly Squeezed Royalty

Status
      Country                    United States

I wasn’t watching at this time, so I’ll just go with people I think would be good to see together/ see Flair managing. I’ll say Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin, Bobby Lashley, and Cody Rhodes. Excited to see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

This looks super exciting and should be interesting. 2009 was literally right before I stopped watching all together so my memory of the time period is a little fuzzy so it'd be hard to venture a guess to who Flair will assemble but I hope it doesn't involve HHH, lol. Cody Rhodes would be a fun get - perhaps with his Legacy partner Ted DiBiase. Finlay would be a cool enforcer but he was about done himself at this point I believe. Shelton Benjamin would be another good possibility...

Hi.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Totally on-board for this. Looking forward to reading!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Flair seeking one more reign and a new Horseman? I'm interested! Your Cesaro BTB was fantastic and I'm certain this one will be damn good, too. I can't wait for Chapter One.

Squash Fodder

Status

I'm super interested in this. I like the aspect of chasing the 17th championship but also focusing on The Horsemen so there are multiple ways to go with it.

My guess is Mr Kennedy, Charlie Haas and Bobby Lashley

TUFF

Status

Surprised to see this. I'm just glad to see another project from you. You've got a reader in me of course. Excited to see what's next!

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

What A Maneuver!

Status

Excited for this one. It really has the makings of being a great thread. As for predicting the new Four Horsemen? It's a tough one, but I'm gonna say Flair, Kennedy, Cade and Murdoch.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Ghana

Actually instead I would say Flair as a manager

Mr Kennedy as the leader/main eventer
    Chris Masters as one half of the tag team
    Cody Rhodes as the other half of the tag team
    Lashley as the muscle of the group

Curtain Jerker

Status

Love out of the box ideas. Love The Horsemen. Love Naitch!

I’ll echo a couple of other guesses and say Mr Kennedy for the group leader... maybe a Dolph Ziggler/Nic Nemeth in the group too, but the rest I’ve no idea. Plenty of potential in this time of the company anyway. Looking forward to reading and following this one, great idea which I’m sure will be a lot of fun to write. Enjoy mate

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

This sounds fun! A very creative idea and I'll be here for the ride. Good luck dude!

BRUNO! BRUNO! BRUNO!
    'Portuguese Magnífico'

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Good luck mate.

Flair, Kennedy, Morrison & Cade

Don’t make me Chang this

Status

Thanks everyone for the kind comments of support. Some interesting guesses for who is going to comprise the group (it is going to be Flair and four others).

Full disclosure here. A lot of this post is copied from the aforementioned 2006 thread, in which I only posted one episode of Raw and Smackdown. I've fleshed things out a bit in terms of the promos and obviously tweaking things so they fit in a bit more with the aesthetic I am going for with this thread. But, I wanted to give fair warning to anyone who had read that previous thread.

This is the kind of format I am going to be looking for with each of the entries. Not all of them will cover segments from just one show. Some entries will cover a number of weeks, or specific moments. I'm trying not to limit myself in that way and allow myself to tell the story in what I think is a necessary amount of detail. There will be a mixture of exposition from me, then matches and promos relevant to the story. Whilst it could maybe be argued that I'm being a bit granular with what I'm writing and some of it may be a bit superfluous, I am hoping that the messages that I'm trying to get across are helped by me adding in some more subtle character work and nuances into the smaller, and on the face of if, less important to the story things. Part of this is also me wanting to have a bit of fun in writing out matches full length again (something that I fell out of love with for a long time) and improve my promo writing.

RIC FLAIR AND THE NEW HORSEMEN

CHAPTER ONE:
    THE BEGINNING OF THE END

ENTRY ONE

Despite not coming out victorious in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, Ric Flair received praise for his performance in the match and the resilience he showed by returning from the match after his fall from the top of the ladder. Combining his Last Man Standing Match with Triple H at Survivor Series 2005, his TLC Match with Edge earlier in the year and his participation in Money in the Bank, Flair was starting to show his willingness to adapt to the world around him. He knew that he had to hone his skills in that kind of match in order to keep up with the new generation as non-standard matches were only bound to become more and more popular as time passed on.

One man that had issue with the praise and attention Flair was receiving for his performance in Money in the Bank was another Raw Superstar that took part in the match, but was also unsuccessful; the Intercontinental Champion, Shelton Benjamin. Having stolen the show with his performance in Money in the Bank at Wrestlemania 21 with his ladder run, Benjamin also exhibited his athleticism in a strong manner in the Wrestlemania 22 match, but was foiled by Flair in the final moments of the match, which opened the door for Rob Van Dam to capture the briefcase for himself. Those actions did not mark the beginning of the hostilities between Flair and Benjamin, as it was 'The Nature Boy' that Benjamin defeated to capture the Intercontinental Title a few weeks before Wrestlemania, and the two were at loggerheads heading into the Show of Shows. That's not to mention all of their altercations since Benjamin's switch to Monday nights all the way back in 2004 and his tangles with Flair when 'Naitch' was a part of Evolution.

On the April 3, 2006 edition of Monday Night Raw, one night after Wrestlemania, Benjamin was scheduled to defend the Intercontinental Championship against the winner of the Wrestlemania Pre-Show Battle Royal, Viscera. However, before his match with 'The World's Largest Love Machine', Benjamin had some choice words for 'The Nature Boy' in a backstage interview with Todd Grisham.

Monday Night Raw
    April 3, 2006

In the backstage interview area, where Todd Grisham is standing by. Standing next to him is the Intercontinental Champion, Shelton Benjamin. As accustomed to with Benjamin in the past few months, he adopts an uninterested stance and despite wearing his wrestling gear, he is wearing a garish light blue opened shirt, showing off the championship that is strapped around his waist.

Todd Grisham:
    Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to introduce my guest at this time, the Intercontinental Champion… Shelton Benjamin. Shelton, first of all-

Before Grisham can even ask his question to start the interview properly, Benjamin leans into the microphone, interrupting the interviewer.

Shelton Benjamin:
    How long's this gonna take, Todd? I don't think that I have to tell you that my time is a very valuable commodity. This time last night I was proving why I am the most athletically gifted Superstar in all of the WWE, but I guess you don't want to ask me about that, huh? No-one seems to care about the amazing feats of athleticism that only someone like me can pull off, right? Why's that, huh? Because I wasn't the one that won the Money in the Bank briefcase? That doesn't matter. I am the highlight reel. I am all that anyone should be talking about... ever. So, go on, Todd, ask me a question about me.

Todd Grisham:
    Well, Shelton, my first question was going to be to ask you how you feel after coming short in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match last night at Wrestlemania, and to of course offer you my comiserations.

Shelton quickly removes his sunglasses, and gives Grisham a confused look.

Shelton Benjamin:
    Wait a second… Commiserations? Are you bein’ serious, Todd? I've got someone like YOU feeling sorry for me now? I might not have won the Money in the Bank contract last night, but I was the star of that match. Hell, I was the star of the whole show! People came last night to see me! Hey, I'm the only reason that those people out there in the arena are here tonight.

There’s booing in the arena at the arrogance on display.

Shelton Benjamin:
    See, you can hear them now, they’re not happy that they didn’t get to see Shelton Benjamin win last night. They're upset that their favourite Raw Superstar didn't win Money in the Bank, but they're more upset about me not getting the recognition that I deserve. I was the star of that match, as I said, but all anyone seems to want to talk about is Ric Flair. They're not talking about how Ric Flair SCREWED ME out of winning that match, no, no no... apparently, he showed resilience and spirit by returning to the match after being taken out to the back. That's not how I see it, at all. The way I see it, getting sent to the back was the best thing that could have happened to the old man last night, because then maybe he could have realised that he was out of his depth in MY world. That crazy old bastard had no place being out there last night in a ladder match and even after his ass was carried from that ring once, something in that stupid, senile, old head of his told ‘im it was a good idea to come back out there and get his ass kicked all over again.

Todd Grisham:
    It wasn't Ric Flair's first time in a match like that, though. He faced Edge-

Shelton Benjamin:
    There everyone goes about his match with Edge again. Yeah, he had a match with Edge earlier in the year. He LOST. Just like how he LOST against me when I beat him for this Intercontinental Championship. Ric can keep fooling himself and everyone else, but that old man isn't fooling me. Ric Flair is past his prime, and if he keeps getting involved in my business, I'll prove it by putting old 'Nature Boy' down for the last time. Then, I might start getting some of the recognition around here that I deserve.

Benjamin smirks to himself, and Grisham accepts what he is is hearing momentarily, before moving on to a different talking point.

Todd Grisham:
    Well, tonight is a great opportunity for some recognition as defeating Viscera to keep hold of the Intercontinental Title will be no easy task. How confident are you heading into this match, given the roll that Big Vis is on?

Shelton Benjamin:
    I’m really confident, Todd, I’m Shelton Benjamin. I’m leaving this arena tonight with the Intercontinental Championship and there’s nothing that anyone, especially ‘The World’s Fattest Piece of Crap’, can do about it. He beat all of those other guys last night, but he didn't... beat... me. Anyway, like I said Todd, my time is a commodity, and you're out of it. Bye.

Benjamin fixes his sunglasses back on his face as he delivers the last few words, before he gives Grisham a nod and leaves the interview area. Grisham raises his eyebrows at the abrupt end to the interview, and the brash attitude displayed by the Intercontinental Champion.

***AIN’T NO STOPPIN’ ME NOW***

There’s a decent amount of heat for the Intercontinental Champion Shelton Benjamin now makes his way down to the ring. Benjamin smirks and quickly swaggers down the ramp, ignoring the displeasure from the fans, most likely still believing that they’re voicing disapproval at him not winning last night.

Jerry Lawler:
    Look who’s coming out now, it’s the Intercontinental Champion!

Jim Ross:
    King, I don’t know what has gotten into Shelton Benjamin these past few months. Each week, he seems to just get cockier and cockier and it is showing no signs of stopping any time soon! I think if his head gets any bigger, he may start to have trouble going through doors!

Jerry Lawler:
    The thing is, JR, that Shelton has been able to back up near enough everything that he’s saying! He came within inches of winning the Money in the Bank Ladder Match last night and he has been a very impressive Intercontinental Champion so far since winning the title from Ric Flair before Wrestlemania.

Jim Ross:
    It also seems that Shelton Benjamin seems to have some unresolved issues with ‘The Nature Boy’ if you’re going to take into account what he said about Ric Flair earlier on tonight!

Shelton gets into the ring and removes his floral shirt and literally throws it into the referee’s face, before carefully removing his sunglasses and passing the title over to the official and he heads to a corner facing the Tron as he awaits his challenger.

“THE WORLD’S LARGEST LOVE MACHINE… VISCERA”
    ***LOVE MACHINE***

A surprisingly strong cheer comes from the fans as Viscera walks out from behind the curtain and he is dressed in usual pyjama ring gear but instead of his normal over-sexualised mannerisms, he looks all-business and strides down the ramp towards Benjamin, clearly not happy with the disparaging remarks made by the champion before the break.

Jerry Lawler:
    Here comes ‘The World’s Largest Love Machine’ and by looking at his face, I don’t think he is in a loving mood towards Shelton Benjamin tonight, JR!

Jim Ross:
    I think that you’ve hit the nail on the head there, King, as well as his insulting comments about Ric Flair, Shelton Benjamin also directed some harsh comments about his opponent tonight. They were strong words from the Intercontinental Champion, and he may be forced to eat them in this match.

Jerry Lawler:
    That’s if Viscera doesn’t eat them first! I’m sorry, JR, I just couldn’t resist.

Jim Ross:
    You’re better than that, Jerry.

Climbing into the ring and squeezing in between the top and middle ropes, Viscera disrobes and glares at Shelton, who obviously isn’t taking his opponent as seriously as he should be. Shelton chuckles to himself, and Viscera appears to be even more incensed by this and he demands that the referee start the match sooner than later. The official gets into the middle of the ring and raises the title high in the air to signify that it is a title match, and then he calls for the bell.

Intercontinental Championship Match:
    Shelton Benjamin © vs Viscera

When the bell rings, both men approach the centre of the ring, sizing each other up. Viscera blinks first and immediately lunges for Benjamin, wanting to get a piece of him straight from the start. However, Shelton uses his speed advantage to dodge and go-behind Viscera, and he slaps him on the back of the head! The crowd show their annoyance at Benjamin’s antics, and the Intercontinental Champion laughs cockily. The challenger is not affected by this and maintains his focus; Viscera turns around and lunges again, but again Benjamin ducks and goes behind him as he did before, but this time Viscera starts running backwards. This catches Benjamin off-guard and unable to move to either side of Viscera's considerable frame, the IC Champion is crushed against the turnbuckle in the corner!! Viscera clasps his hands around the top ropes adjacent to the turnbuckle, and starts thrusting back and forth, causing his bulk to smush Benjamin in the corner on each occasion! Viscera releases Benjamin, who slumps against his challenger after having the air literally taken out of him.

Big Vis now grabs Benjamin by the neck and biels him half-way across the ring! Shelton lands hard on his back, but he's back up quickly to his feet quickly and stumbles into the corner for some respite. Benjamin's eyes bug out as he sees his opponent bounding towards him - Viscera charges in with a roar and splashes Benjamin into the corner!! Benjamin is reeling and he quickly collapses down onto his front and crawls into the middle of the ring, gasping for some air after being flattened in the corner. With Benjamin down in the middle of the ring and being fully in control, Viscera works over the crowd by raising the roof and strutting towards Benjamin on the floor. The 500+ lber suddenly then springs into the air and drops an elbow down across Benjamin's back! Viscera flips him over and then presses both of his shoulders down onto the mat for a pin attempt - but Benjamin slides one of his shoulders out just in time!

A big headbutt from Viscera to a seated Benjamin knocks the Intercontinental Champion down onto his back. Viscera gets up to his feet, which eats up some valuable time and he backs into the ropes and back towards Benjamin and looks for a big Splash onto the much smaller man - but Benjamin moves out of the way! The challenger grimaces as he crashes onto his large front, but Benjamin springs up to his feet and cracks a Dropkick to the side of Viscera's head, before grabbing him around the neck and applying a Front Facelock on the much larger man. JR points out that the move is effective to wear the larger man down, and comes from Benjamin's impressive amateur wrestling pedigree, which makes him a dangerous competitor, despite his appalling attitude. Even though he is trapped in Benjamin's hold, Viscera manages to make it up to a knee, bringing Benjamin up to his feet, and he uses his power to shove the Intercontinental Champion back into the ropes, but Shelton comes back with a Shining Wizard that is right on the money! Benjamin dives into the cover, but Viscera kicks out by launching the much smaller man off of him from down on the mat.

The objective at this point for Benjamin is to keep Viscera down for as long as possible, as once he gets back up, it is going to be a mammoth task in itself to get him back down. Viscera gets to a knee once again after kicking out, and Shelton is quickly on him with a barrage of clubbing blows to the back and head and then a combination of kicks and stomps take the big man down to the mat once more. Benjamin runs up behind Viscera as Vis once again makes it to a knee, and he drives him into the mat face first with a Bulldog! Benjamin goes for another pin, this time trying to took a huge leg, but once again he is unable to put his challenger away. Starting to become a bit exasperated, Benjamin grabs hold of Viscera's arm and then proceeds to boot him in the side of the head, showing a mean streak not often displayed by the Intercontinental Champion.

Viscera grins and bears it through the hard strikes and gets up to his knees again. Benjamin throws some extra force into the kicks but the disrespectful and cold moves from Benjamin are only lighting a fire under Viscera - who gets up to his feet and grabs Benjamin's wrist which is holding onto his arms. Benjamin tries to plead with Viscera, but Viscera shakes his head and pulls him into a Spinning Side Slam! The crowd pops as Viscera hooks a leg, springing into possible victory out of nowhere, but Benjamin kicks out just in the nick of time! Viscera sits in shock that his powerful move wasn't enough to capture him the Intercontinental Championship to carry on his roll as of late. Vis pulls Benjamin up to his feet by an arm and slings him into a corner. Viscera takes his place in the opposite corner and charges across the ring with a loud scream, looking to squash Benjamin in the corner once again - but Benjamin moves! Viscera clatters into the turnbuckle and steps back towards the middle of the ring, where Benjamin is waiting, and he manages to trip Viscera into a Schoolboy Pin - and Benjamin puts his feet up on the ropes... but the referee sees it and doesn't make the count!

Choosing not to waste any time arguing with the official, given the close calls that he has already had in this match, Benjamin climbs up onto the top rope and waits for Viscera to bring himself back up to his feet. When he does and turns around to face Benjamin, Shelton leaps from the top rope - looking for a Cross Body - but Viscera catches him! Viscera quickly brings Shelton up onto his shoulders and looks for a Samoan Drop... but Benjamin slides off of his back! As Viscera turns around, Benjamin looks to strike with a Superkick, which is caught by Viscera! Benjamin hops around as Viscera holds his caught foot, but Benjamin shows his famous athleticism by turning it into a Dragon Whip!

The impact of the boot to the side of the face out of nowhere sends Viscera stumbling back into the ropes. Due to his immense weight, Vis bounces back off of them into Benjamin's arms, who uses the momentum to take Viscera over with a T-Bone Suplex!! The crowd actually pops loudly for the huge move from Benjamin, who then hops on Viscera for the cover and gets the three count!

Winner and STILL Intercontinental Champion:
    Shelton Benjamin (6.22)

***AIN’T NO STOPPIN’ ME NOW***

Benjamin slowly makes his way to his feet to have his arm raised, and he yanks the title from the referee’s grip and lifts it in the air as much as he is able to. Viscera rolls out of the ring and starts making his way to the back and Benjamin stays in the ring, looking exhausted, but pleased at the same time.

Jim Ross:
    Luckily for Shelton Benjamin, he's able to walk the walk after talking a very big game earlier on tonight, but I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who thought that he almost lost this match on multiple occasions! Viscera was one big splash away from leaving the arena tonight as the Intercontinental Champion!

Jerry Lawler:
    You’ve got to give Shelton Benjamin credit though, he had a game plan and he stuck to it. He knew that if he was able to keep Viscera down, he’d be able to do enough damage – and have we ever seen anyone throw Viscera overhead like Shelton Benjamin just did?! Can we please see that T-Bone Suplex again?

Upon seeing the replay of the finish on the Tron, Benjamin grins and pats himself on the chest and he starts to head out of the ring, ignoring the groans from the fans.

“WOOOOOOOOO!”
    ***ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA***

Benjamin stops dead in his tracks on the ring apron, and actually backs back into the ring and he gapes at the stage, just as Ric Flair walks out onto it! Dressed in a sharp suit as usual, ‘The Nature Boy’ looks well after his fall last night during the Money in the Bank Ladder Match and he has a microphone in his hand. He smiles at the fans, but as soon as he turns his attention to Benjamin, the look on ‘Naitch’s face drops instantly.

Ric Flair:
    Shelton Benjamin, I have one question for you… and it is a simple one. Who the hell do you think you are?

The fans cheer loudly at that comment, and in the ring, Benjamin appears to be enraged.

Ric Flair:
    Who the hell do you think you are to tell Ric Flair whether he should or shouldn’t be competing in a LADDER match, on the grandest stage of ‘em all, WRESTLEMANIA?! What gives you the RIGHT to tell Ric Flair what to do, HUH? No one, and I repeat, NO ONE, tells Ric Flair what to do! Especially not some jumped-up little punk like you! I've been in this business since long before you were damn born!

Benjamin grabs a microphone after hearing what Flair said to him, but Flair doesn't give him a chance to speak yet.

Ric Flair:
    I've done just about every damn there is to do in this business, kid. You run your mouth and talk a big game, but when it comes down to it, you're nothing but a little punk that is gonna learn a thing or two about respect one way or another but sooner rather than later.

Shelton Benjamin:
    I’m a punk?... I’m no punk. I’m the Intercontinental Champion! What the hell are you? I know a thing or two about respect, don't worry, Ric. I have respect for myself and I have respect for more people than you'd give me credit for. What I don't respect is crazy old men costing me a guaranteed shot at a World Championship. What I don't respect is an old man's pathetic attempt to grow with the times. You should have stayed in the back last night after you took that fall, Ric. You had no place being in that Ladder Match and I think deep down you know it too. It's time to move aside, Ric. Let people like me, the ones worth respecting, lead this business forward. I'm the Intercontinental Champion... I'm the future, Ric.

Benjamin raises his title and slaps it, thinking that he has now won the argument. Flair shakes his head, looking unimpressed.

Ric Flair:
    There you go again talking your big game, Shelton. You asked me what I am? I’ll tell you what I am… I am sick and tired of you walking around here acting like your God’s gift to professional wrestling, thinking that you’re bringing prestige to that title. You’re not, Shelton. All you are doing… is helping everyone realise what a cocky little PUNK you actually are.

The crowd cheers, and Benjamin isn’t happy. The repeated use of the word "punk" does not seem to be sitting well with him.

Ric Flair:
    I was there on the night where you truly announced yourself to the world, when you beat Triple H on Raw two years ago. I was pissed that you beat him because of my connection to Evolution at the time, but I realised from that night on that you were special, Shelton, you had potential in spades. You still do, but all the potential in the world can’t buy you the one thing that really matters in this business… Respect. You talk about it like you already have it or even understand it, but you don't. Respect is earned, Shelton. I respect your abilities in that ring, Shelton – you just Suplexed a man double your size! How can I not respect that? But you, as a person, with your attitude – I wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire!

The fans cheer loudly, and Benjamin’s mouth almost drops to the floor following that comment. Flair doesn’t start laughing after his zinger, instead maintains a serious look on his face and now he waits for Benjamin to respond.

Shelton Benjamin:
    I’m getting’ real tired of you running your mouth, old man. What the hell is it you want, anyway?

Ric Flair:
    What I want, Shelton, is simple. I want to be able to turn back the clock and run circles around you in that ring, because as talented as you are you couldn't hold a candle to me in my prime! No one could! I want another shot at that Intercontinental Championship you cheated me out of before Wrestlemania but what I want more than anything in the world is to shut you up and beat you at your own game!

The fans cheer some more now, and Benjamin stares out at them for a moment before continuing. Flair is starting to feel a bit more energy and enthusiasm in what he is saying - he's getting fired up.

Ric Flair:
    I might not be as quick or as strong as I once was, Shelton, but I'm still 'The Nature Boy'. I'm still the stylin', profilin', limousine riding, jet flying, kiss-stealing, wheelin' and dealin' SON OF A GUN! WOOOOOO!

The fans “WOO!” and cheer following that comment, and Benjamin laughs.

Ric Flair:
    Laugh all you like, Shelton, but I’m gonna cut right to the chase. If you don’t think I can “hang” with you, then put your money where your God-damn mouth is and defend that title against me at Backlash-

Shelton Benjamin:
    Why should I do that, old man? I’ve already beat you enough. I have nothing left to prove when it comes to you.

Ric Flair:
    You didn’t let me finish. Shelton, to be the man you've got to BEAT the man. As long as there is air in my lungs and blood running through my veins then I am the man in this business, so don't you try to fool yourself otherwise anymore, kid. Last night, I wasn't in my environment, and I paid for it... but I loved every damn second that I was out there in that ring and fighting for that briefcase. I want more. Defend the Intercontinental Championship against me at Backlash in a LADDER MATCH!

The fans cheer loudly, and Shelton’s face transforms into a grin and he looks back up to Flair.

Shelton Benjamin:
    You… want to face… me… in a Ladder Match?

Flair nods defiantly at the IC Champ, and Shelton takes another glance at the title before looking back to Flair.

Ric Flair:
    Who's the old man here, me or you? You need me to repeat myself? You're damn RIGHT I want a Ladder Match with you! I wanna beat you at your own game and shut your damn mouth up for good!

Shelton Benjamin:
    You’re crazier than I thought, Ric. You're making a big mistake here. You don't want this... but if it means that I might get to be the one to finish you off once and for all... You’re on.

A big cheer engulfs the arena!! Flair grins at Benjamin, who shakes his head.

Ric Flair:
    I’ll get McMahon to sign off on it to make it official. The only person that is going to regret agreeing to this match is you, after I embarrass you at Backlash and bring that title home with me! I'm gonna teach you a valuable lesson in respect. WOOOOOOO!

***ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA***

‘The Nature Boy’ put his hand out to wave to the fans and then turns to head to the back, and in the ring, Benjamin wears a scowl on his face following Flair’s departing jibe, but after a couple of seconds he exits the ring with his title and with a focussed look on his face starts trudging up the ramp.

Jim Ross:
    King, we have our first match for Backlash on the cards, and bah gawd, it’s a Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Title! Shelton Benjamin is going to have to put his money where his mouth is and stop Ric Flair from climbing a ladder and retrieving his coveted championship!

Jerry Lawler:
    I don’t know what went through Ric Flair’s mind to challenge one of the most gifted athletes in WWE history to that kind of match, JR!

Jim Ross:
    Ric Flair has made it clear that he has something to prove, and he will look to do that in just under four weeks in Kentucky!

Benjamin pauses for a moment at the top of the ramp and then continues on as the camera fades to go to commercial.

TUFF

Status

It's a good place to start here and the feud between Flair and Benjamin isn't hard to believe. It's the classic old vs. new and I think these two guys fill their role perfectly.

Benjamin's interview with Grisham was a bit awkward to read in some spots. I think it could've been shorter and still achieve the same thing. The commiserations line was a bit weird but Grisham's schtick is the "smart interviewer guy" from what I remember, so maybe it does work well actually.

T-Bone Suplex to Viscera?! SHEESH. That would've been impressive to see for sure. It was good match psychology as Benjamin had to keep Viscera grounded to pick up the victory.

I think you wrote Flair brilliantly here except for the line about getting Vince to sign off on the match. Think the promo could've done without it. I think Flair is gonna use this type of promo against a lot of his opponents to get what he wants because taking out someone like Flair? That'd be huge not just for whoever gets the opportunity but for anyone who actually succeeds at putting Flair away.

All in all, strong start here. Everything was easy and enjoyable to read. I'm thinking Flair loses here and is down in the dumps but that's when he begins his true calling of gathering the new Four Horsemen. Looking forward to the next entry!

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Respected bookerman

Status
      Country                    Ireland

If Shelton was still playing his babyface role, I could easily see him fitting into the Horsemen (if they’re going to be a face group this time around) in the mould of Sting during his tenure in the group (and just because he does the Stinger Splash!) and be the white-meat face that the group ultimately turn on. With him in the heel role though, it’s hard to see him pull that role off as well, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if this program with Flair is still going to wind up with the two guys aligning, given the Carolina connection and Benjamins amateur credentials etc.

Enjoyed most of Sheltons backstage promo, aside from the cookie cutter stuff about being the guy everyone came to see, and him celebrating the fact he was the star of the show at WrestleMania even though he lost. But once he honed in on Flair? Much better, imo. I don’t think anyone wants to see a 6 minute Viscera match though, lol. Appreciated the explanation on how Shelton was able to execute the T-Bone, using the momentum of Vis, but I still struggle to picture Benjamin pulling that off and it not looking like shit. Loved that added piece of detail in the commentary though of Lawler putting the feat over, and calling for the replay.

Flair promo was gold, and the biggest positive of this whole update. Think you captured his old man fire pretty darn well, and treading the typical stuff about the things he’s done; which you pretty much have to do at this point anyway. Feel like this post match segment could’ve been saved for next week though, or at least the challenge for the ladder match at Backlash could’ve been held off on. Poor ‘ol Naitch; three ladder/TLC matches in the first four months of the year. You trying to cripple this man, Man?

Hi.

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Benjamin/Flair is a good point to start off with. I wouldn't be averse to including Benjamin in this future group of yours. Big fan of him back on 04/05. From what I remember though, not the best of talkers, but his interview was decent and did its job. No real complaints about it. Whenever I think of Viscera, for some reason my mind always goes back to Big Daddy V, despite trying to block that out for years. Nicely written match, though the T Bone to big Vis' would've been a hell of a sight, and glad you made a big deal out of it. Flair's promo was on point. Loved pretty much all of it. I've always found Flair difficult to write, so credit to you for doing it MUCH better than I ever could. Like Wolf said though, you trying to kill this OAP?! He'd have been what? 57 at this point. Poor guy.

I think I said to you before, that this thread was a hell of a surprise considering the thread you were talking about, but I think this style suits you. Enjoyed this, man. (man)

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I’m yet to comment in here and wish you luck so I’ll do that now. I remember that 06 attempt and I think I remember enjoying the shows. I remember the Cesaro thread more fondly and am hoping you delivery some of that same goodness here.

In terms of the first update, I think things are off to a relatively good start. Shelton’s promo, like Wolfy mentioned, was great once he started targeting Flair. When he was talking himself up, it was fine, but Shelton’s not a big talker so it did feel a little off. The one line that stood out to me was calling himself the highlight reel, I know technically Jericho isn’t around at this point, but it still feels weird for Benji to use that. Again, the Flair based shit talk was good though.

I appreciate the effort in the match writing, especially a match involving Viscera. That couldn’t have been easy. Obviously Shelton was winning this though and the impressive show of strength is a solid way to put him over.

The update definitely picked up once we hit Flair promo time that was a lot of fun. Really good back and forth between the two, with Flair touching on their history and stuff as well. Really good, and whilst in theory it’s probably one ladder match to many for Flair in such a short space of time, the use of the stipulation here is really logical. I like that… A lot. A great booking move to end the first update.

Horsemen I'm going with Masters as The Enforcer, Kenny Dykstra and Nemeth/Ziggler as the tag team, and I've no idea who the fourth man would be.

This is off to a promising start, looking forward to seeing some completely fresh material from you next up. Good luck with this BTB, man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information