WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 4 - LAST 16 - JOE VS PUNK

vs

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: ROUND 4 - LAST 16 - JOE VS PUNK

Many people have noted throughout Joe's peak being long gone. I think this is the match where that will go against him.

Take from their trilogy onwards, Joe's got some big matches 2005/6 but starts going backwards. Meanwhile, Punk continues to ascend and even as late as 2013 you've got the Brock Summerslam match. Punk may be done now, but I can't think of much from Joe since then that'd dramatically swing it back in his favour.

Punk for me.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I think either guy getting into round 5 is wrong, especially when one of Mysterio and Flair has to go out, but that's the luck of the draw.

I'm giving the edge to Punk. Joe's career is like 6 years longer than Punk's but doesn't have as many good years in there; I mean there's probably more not so good year than good years in Joe's career now. Joe was definitely the better peak wrestler, but that's not to say by comparison that Punk wasn't great either at his peak.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Agreed with the consensus I like Punk here too. I definitely think both are fortunate with the draw when you've got guys like Vader, Rey/Flair, Austin/Bret dropping out shortly.

I like Ed's point about Punk having more good years than Joe despite stopping 6 years earlier. Joe definitely wins for peak, but I haven't considered him a good wrestler for well over 10 years now. Joe's peak was stronger but its not like Punk didn't have a very high peak himself

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think either guy getting into round 5 is wrong, especially when one of Mysterio and Flair has to go out, but that's the luck of the draw.
    Agreed. Not much we can do about it, but it still sucks.

I'm going for Joe, solely because of the previous argument of who I'd prefer watching. I've never been as high on Punk as others, particularly here, and have always enjoyed Joe, even into the twilight of his career.

EDIT: Aaaand, I accidentally voted for Punk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

I love Samoa Joe as posted about in the last round, maybe the round before. I think his peak is as strong as anyone and he'd make a top 10 of all time for me without question. I like Punk enough but this was actually surprisingly easy. Admittedly a high guy on Joe.

WAKE UP

Status

Yeh I think we all know whoever wins this gets crushed in the Quarters.

I place a lot of stock on who was best at their best, which is why I have voted for Joe in every match so far despite the number of crummy years he's had. I think that's still enough for me to vote him here despite Punk being good for a longer run of time.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    EDIT: Aaaand, I accidentally voted for Punk.
    I've edited the poll to take one off of Punk and one onto Joe.

And yes Steve, this would be a good match. Jim has this match ever happened before?

I feel pretty indifferent towards this poll. Punk was the more consistent of the two, but Joe had better highs especially for specific periods. There was a point I gave Joe two five star matches in just over a 70 day period. That's pretty impressive when you consider the fact that it's against different opponents and in different companies.

I'm throwing a vote towards Punk since I can generally find a worthwhile match of his during every period of his career. No problem if Joe wins though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Jim has this match ever happened before?
    Through diligent research, I've discovered that they once wrestled in a singles match at some obscure England show.

VINTAGE POSTER!

Status

I’ve seen that obscure England match it and definitely wasn’t a 60min 5* classic like I was told. Never got the hype with these two.

Quote Originally Posted by Diksting
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

On a more serious note, I am surprised at how few times companies ran Punk vs Joe. After their World Title Classic, I would have thought every small indie would have been trying to run the match to boost their awareness. Instead, the only company that bothered running it was that British show in 2005. The ony other company that had Punk vs Joe was PWG, but that was before the ROH trilogy.

I would have thought for sure that at least Ian Rotten would have ran it.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    On a more serious note, I am surprised at how few times companies ran Punk vs Joe. After their World Title Classic, I would have thought every small indie would have been trying to run the match to boost their awareness. Instead, the only company that bothered running it was that British show in 2005. The ony other company that had Punk vs Joe was PWG, but that was before the ROH trilogy.

I would have thought for sure that at least Ian Rotten would have ran it.
    To be fair it was a fairly small window to run it as Punk was hired by WWE in 2005 and the two probably had different bookings elsewhere already sorted.

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    To be fair it was a fairly small window to run it as Punk was hired by WWE in 2005 and the two probably had different bookings elsewhere already sorted.
    It's not a huge window, but it's still a year from the start of the trilogy to when Punk stopped working indies. At just IWA-MS, I counted about a dozen shows that Joe and Punk were a part of in that year window. But hey, we got a double count-out with Joe vs Ian f'n Rotten, so who needs Joe vs Punk?

It is possible that FIP (along with ROH and IWA-MS, FIP was Punk's main three companies in that year window) wasn't allowed to run Joe vs Punk while it was still a draw for ROH.

WAKE UP

Status

closes tomorrow - it's close

Thread Information