WAKE UP

Status

ROUND 3: John Cena vs Owen Hart

vs

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: ROUND 3: John Cena vs Owen Hart

Owen has his peaks with the Bret matches which are phenomenal. But otherwise, he is more fun than great. A good act to add some personality to the shows and occasional good matches. His match with Bulldog is still considered a quality TV match to this day. Canadian Stampede is a well fondly looked at match as well. It's not like he doesn't have great matches, but it's not the most depth of lists. I don't really like his Pre-Bret feud in High Energy (although you can say that they were supposed to have blow away tags) and even his matches in New Japan. The Liger match bores me a little. The Hase match is fine too.

Cena has his lows as a wrestler. Way lower than Owen but he consistently reached a high level at the same time. Cena is a bit more versatile than Owen as well. Cena has had some great brawls like the JBL match, great David v Goliath matches, matches that build on drama. With Cena there is a lot more to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Cena has his lows as a wrestler. Way lower than Owen but he consistently reached a high level at the same time. Cena is a bit more versatile than Owen as well. Cena has had some great brawls like the JBL match, great David v Goliath matches, matches that build on drama. With Cena there is a lot more to work with.
    Some of Owen's earliest stand out matches were David vs Goliath matches. I don't get how Owen's matches didn't build on drama either when he had legendary battles against his own family members.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I never said Owen couldn't do those matches. I praised the Bret feud which has those types of matches.

I'm talking about Cena, as they are examples of what he can do. Owen can certainly do those types of matches. I'm having a hard time thinking about a good Owen Hart brawl (unless you can point one out and I'll retract what I said) which is why I think Cena is a bit more versatile than Owen was.

Main Eventer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I never said Owen couldn't do those matches. I praised the Bret feud which has those types of matches.

I'm talking about Cena, as they are examples of what he can do. Owen can certainly do those types of matches. I'm having a hard time thinking about a good Owen Hart brawl (unless you can point one out and I'll retract what I said) which is why I think Cena is a bit more versatile than Owen was.
    Would you consider the Canadian Stampede match a brawl? Or his no dq match vs Bret on RAW?
    ROH 2003 - end of 2008 = best years of wrestling ever

Hardcore matches weren't really a thing when Owen was around, at least for promotions Hart worked for most of his career.

At the same time, how many high flying showcases has Cena been a part of? Or mat based classics?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I think this is a classic example of why the number of great matches doesn't matter too much to me. Cena has his very high highs, but for all his highs there's multiple lows. For example, the CM Punk match at Money in the Bank came two months after he had the worst match of the year at Over the Limit with the Miz. His great match with Punk in 2013 came just before a shocking match with the Rock at Wrestlemania. He is far too inconsistent for me to consider him some top tier wrestler. Like many other WWE main eventers, he's going to have great matches just through sheer weight of opportunity, so it isn't as impressive to me and certainly isn't a deciding factor when thinking about who I think is better.

Owen was a great TV worker, and when given the opportunity to shine he was great. I can't remember watching an Owen Hart match and thinking "that was bad because of Owen's involvement", whereas there is countless examples of me thinking that of Cena.

If I wanted to see a good wrestling match, I would pick a random Owen Hart match over a random John Cena match any day of the week.

I think the fourth round is a push for either of these guys, but that's the luck of the draw. Owen might have a thinner resume, but it's enough for me to feel comfortable in saying he was better than John Cena.

The 100 Greatest WCW Matches - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Would you consider the Canadian Stampede match a brawl? Or his no dq match vs Bret on RAW?
    I would, yes. But it's different when it's a collective of people. With that being said, Owen was one of the stand outs of the match. The No DQ is alright I suppose. I don't love it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hardcore matches weren't really a thing when Owen was around, at least for promotions Hart worked for most of his career.

At the same time, how many high flying showcases has Cena been a part of? Or mat based classics?
    I agree that brawling itself may not be something he was exposed or allowed to do often in his prime.

Cena probably doesn't have a pure mat based classic but his matches against Shawn Michaels and Punk had very heavy emphasis on it, iirc. And maybe it's comparatively to those two but I thought he did really well in that department.

I think both have their weaknesses in certain styles. Cena has a little more reach than Owen but it's not a big difference.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Cena vs Punk had heavy emphasis on mat based wrestling!? Literally what am I reading right now

WAKE UP

Status

It didn't have mat based wrestling (at all) but they did do some good more technical stuff working holds. Still, no one is pimping Cena on his ability as a technical wrestler.

This is a tough one. Owen's career was much shorter and he never got pushed to the top. That's a double edged sword because he didn't get the opportunities Cena did, but at the same time was never exposed like him. Unless you are right at the very, very tip top 1%, anyone who main events for years and years is going to have some stinkers. Owen never had a long time at the top of a Vince McMahon ran promotion and looks better for it in a weird way.

Owen had more raw talent, but Cena's did more with what he had and built a strong resume, even with the stinkers.

I'm leaning Owen on the "who would I rather watch" basis.

Thread Information